• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

nib95

Banned
Anyone have a detailed spec sheet? I'd like to know which out of the S3 and One X has a better DAC or better headphone SQ. Might seal it for me, but right now I'm a little conflicted. Battery and Micro SD are making me lean S3.

pxleyes

Banned
1. Android already had it's version of Siri. Apple ripped Android off but just marketed it better and tweaked it slightly. And the icon? Really?

2. It is a polycarbonate.

3. Looks beautiful? You haven't even used it on the S3?

4. They amended the software to basically mimic it only now with more screen coverage.

5. Exaggerated point with little real world difference.

6. Your points fail miserably.

My guess is Apple fan who was never even interested in this device anyway. But who knows.

As a previous Nexus One and myTouch 4G owner, I think your jump to calling me an Apple fanboy shows just how spot on my comments are that you had to sink to that level.

1. The Android integration is very different from Siri. You cant tell me the screenshot of S Voice isn't almost identical in application and design to Siri. Button location, text message style bubbles, and even a similar layout for the weather.

2. Wasn't aware it was a polycarbonate, but I'd say the glossy finish is really off-putting on plastic. The matte finish on the Lumia 900 blows this away.

3. There is no reason to piggyback on top of ICS. It is a gorgeous OS in of itself. I honestly cant believe anyone would defend TouchWiz as anything other than a step backwards.

4. You seem to be missing the point. Fragmentation has been an issue for Android since Day 1. Google finally releases a truly great version of Android only to have hardware manufactures continually muck it up with their own ideas of how it should run. It is bad for the consumer and bad for the OS as a whole (development, testing, etc..)

5. So everyone complaining about PenTile are just full of shit? The Android phone in front of me with a PenTile screen that looks like crap next to the iPhone 4S is just my eyes fooling me, right?

6. Try again.

FireCloud

Unique in its usage. I guess some people are fine the lack of creativity, but I find it lazy and sad.

If it is a ripoff, let's just hope that its usage on the GSIII is better than on Apple. A co-worker has a 4S and I was excited to see what all the buzz was about with Siri. The demo was pitiful. Nothing worked.

Apple didn't pioneer voice commands on smart phones. They are just better at marketing...unless that is what you are meaning by creativity.

nib95

Banned
It helps to know the history of the industry before engaging Smartphone GAF in things like this.

gLqhE.png

Android, copying Applies Siri microphone icon since 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIZ56bIfWzI

The horrifying lack of creativity must shock and appall you.

Lol. Nice.

pxleyes

Banned
Seems I was mistaken on the microphone icon style. Still doesn't account for the similar layout of the rest of the 'S Voice' interface.

kehs

Banned
Unique in its usage. I guess some people are fine the lack of creativity, but I find it lazy and sad.

Anybody that has anything to do with voice recording has at one point gone "man those 50's mics looks pretty boss" and used them for something in their ventures. I mean, it's an iconic...icon.

Does this use the same GPU as the SG2? As far as I can see its still the mali 400mp, but i expected as the CPU gone quad the GPU would of at least been updated?

pxleyes

Banned
Jesus Christ, you've not got a single clue what you are saying, do you?

If you care to comment on the images above, feel free. Till then, I'll take your insults as a lack of control on your part to actually address the issue raised.

EDIT: Android defense force as touchy as ever.

Cipherr

Is it the same processor in the US? Missed the presentation.

We havent gotten any official word on that yet. But its likely it will be different in the US to accommodate LTE. Expect the same chips that are in the OneX US variants.

gogogow

4. You seem to be missing the point. Fragmentation has been an issue for Android since Day 1. Google finally releases a truly great version of Android only to have hardware manufactures continually muck it up with their own ideas of how it should run. It is bad for the consumer and bad for the OS as a whole (development, testing, etc..)
YOU are completely missing the point about the Android OS. iOS is a closed system, the Android OS is a open system, it's highly customizable. That's the great thing about this OS, you can customize the look and widgets the way you like. If you don't like Touchwiz or Sense, you can just download another launcher, simple as that or buy another phone with vanilla ICS, the Galaxy Nexus.

I am not impressed with the design, not that I already have one but after looking at the design, if I were given a choice, I think I will still go with the One X.

Jeff-DSA

If you care to comment on the images above, feel free. Till then, I'll take your insults as a lack of control on your part to actually address the issue raised.

What is it that you're taking issue with? I don't even see the point you're trying to make. That your voice commands show up and then the info you requested shows up below that? If that's the issue you have, well, take it up with Apple because Google was already doing it first. If it's still the freaking icon, again, Google was doing it first.

You actually proved yourself wrong with the images you posted! They suuuuure do look the same. but I wonder where Apple got the idea from?

Shall we talk about iOS's 'notification centre' and clear lack of creativity there?

Stop shitting up the thread with, shit.

EDIT: Apple fans are annoying as fuck.

Raistlin

Engadget should just call themselves Galaxy S III for the day. Over half the articles on the front page are for it :p

pxleyes

Banned
What is it that you're taking issue with? I don't even see the point you're trying to make. That your voice commands show up and then the info you requested shows up below that? If that's the issue you have, well, take it up with Apple because Google was already doing it first. If it's still the freaking icon, again, Google was doing it first.

You don't see ANY similarity in the design of S Voice and Siri screens? Really? REALLY?

Jeff-DSA

You don't see ANY similarity in the design of S Voice and Siri screens? Really? REALLY?

You don't see any issue with the fact that iOS has been slowly integrating Android features for a while now? It goes both ways, but in this case, your point is invalid anyway.

You're not interested in the phone, go do something else.

dream

Well, if we want to get really anal, 2009's iPhone OS 3.0 introduced Voice Control. And it had this atrocious thing for Voice Memos:

voicememo-280-100.jpg

pxleyes

Banned
You actually proved yourself wrong with the images you posted! They suuuuure do look the same.

Shall we talk about iOS's 'notification centre' and clear lack of creativity there?

Stop shitting up the thread with, shit.

EDIT: Apple fans are annoying as fuck.

They do look the same, so I can't help it if you need glasses.

You are more than welcome to talk about notifications, but I don't think that is the point of the thread. The two implantation are similar in the gesture to bring them up, but the similarity ends there. I'm quite fond of the ability to dismiss single notifications in Android. The whole sale app approach in iOS is grating. It forces you to decide between screen space with multiple notifications and actually removing the ones you've read.

Take a chill pill pal.

You don't see any issue with the fact that iOS has been slowly integrating Android features for a while now? It goes both ways, but in this case, your point is invalid anyway.

You're not interested in the phone, go do something else.

RAHH. Open discussion about a illegitimate beef with Samsung's butchering of Android cannot be tolerated.

pxleyes

Banned
YOU are completely missing the point about the Android OS. iOS is a closed system, the Android OS is a open system, it's highly customizable. That's the great thing about this OS, you can customize the look and widgets the way you like. If you don't like Touchwiz or Sense, you can just download another launcher, simple as that or buy another phone with vanilla ICS, the Galaxy Nexus.

And there is the crutch of the issue. If HTC and Samsung would simply offer a way to go back to the stock ICS experience on a phone, it would alleviate the problem. I'm fine with people having a choice, but TouchWiz is far more than a launcher, and it's changes to the system take away from how great ICS is by itself.

kehs

Banned
I didn't get to see the actual event, is the phone rocking the exynos quad core then?

Also, is there a link to watch the actual event?

rozay

Banned
Google wants to kill the dedicated menu button because hidden functionality is unintuitive. Having one on this phone gives devs one less reason to update their apps to follow the ICS guidelines.
I agree, but they probably felt the familiarity of the button layout was important for people upgrading from the S2. Regardless, holo themed apps have to have the button on screen don't they? By the time the majority of apps have updated, we'll hopefully see more phones with the onscreen design layout.

Cipherr

I didn't get to see the actual event, is the phone rocking the exynos quad core then?

Also, is there a link to watch the actual event?

Its the exynos quad. I dont know of any links where you can watch it. But trust me, you arent missing much. Its was dry and boring.

kehs

Banned
Its the exynos quad. I dont know of any links where you can watch it. But trust me, you arent missing much. Its was dry and boring.

Ah cool. it's actually vieweable on the nextgalaxy site though.

Everyone can go back OT and to talking about Siri and the new iphone5.

gogogow

And there is the crutch of the issue. If HTC and Samsung would simply offer a way to go back to the stock ICS experience on a phone, it would alleviate the problem. I'm fine with people having a choice, but TouchWiz is far more than a launcher, and it's changes to the system take away from how great ICS is by itself.
Which manufacturer actually offers stock ICS, except Samsung's Galaxy Nexus, or hell, stock Gingerbread?

Rootbeer

Banned
Definitely a nice phone. Can't wait to see performance specs with that new cpu.

More interested in the next iphone though. I hope they do some radical ui changes to ios cause it's getting tired. other than that, I really love the iphone experience.

Jeff-DSA

RAHH. Open discussion about a illegitimate beef with Samsung's butchering of Android cannot be tolerated. Android defense force, ASSEMBLE!

You keep moving the goal posts. I thought your beef was blatant copying of Apple. When it's shown that that's not the case, it's about something else?

And I'm hardly part of the Android defense force. I rarely even discuss phones around here.

pxleyes

Banned
Which manufacturer actually offers stock ICS, except Samsung's Galaxy Nexus?

None, and that would be the problem.

You keep moving the goal posts. I thought your beef was blatant copying of Apple. When it's shown that that's not the case, it's about something else?

And I'm hardly part of the Android defense force. I rarely even discuss phones around here.

They are blatantly copying Apple's Siri design. For god's sake, look at the comparison screenshots.

Cipherr

Isn't the Galaxy S2 less than a year old? How many upgraders could there be?

A year and a month old in EU.

And there is the crutch of the issue. If HTC and Samsung would simply offer a way to go back to the stock ICS experience on a phone, it would alleviate the problem.

Im not sure what you are looking for in this thread. This is not Android 1.0. We, and the entire planet knows that HW manus do not ship vanilla Android. They don't. This isnt new, and its been discussed to death for the last 3 or 4 years. The option for a phone with Vanilla Android exists, and always has, in a single format. Nexus.

Storming into a Galaxy S3 thread expecting people to bother conversation with you, as you stand back shocked that Samsungs new flagship is hosting TW, that they previously rolled out to the S2 a month ago isnt going to get you anywhere. You would get just as benign a response storming into the next iPhone reveal screaming about wanting widgets.

Tossing about the long banned "Defense force" meme just ensures everyone ignores you also. Im going to go out of my way to help you here, because your probably an inflammatory post or two away from a short ban. You have made your feelings known about the similarities to Siri. If you want to discuss the viability of HW manufacturers shipping Vanilla Android versus their own skins, and how that would work for or against the OS and its popularity with carriers and HW Manu's; thats a discussion better fitted for the Android OT, not here.

Jeff-DSA

They are blatantly copying Apple's Siri design. For god's sake, look at the comparison screenshots.

Oh, so we are back on that now, and not the TouchWiz thing.

Ok, well, how else do you handle it? Pretty much all information in the Western world is displayed left to right top to bottom. Should they have it swirl around and you have to rotate the phone in circles to read it? Should you have to hold it up to a mirror? Maybe it could just strobe quickly and randomly put bits of the info out there, so you absorb it subconsciously.

I think you're really reaching on this one.

Circle T

Yep. Nevermind the fact that all we have for release in the US is 'summer'. That could easily be September 20th.

TheVerge is saying June for the US....

TheVerge said:
There's no word on carriers or pricing, but Samsung says that Europeans can look for the Galaxy S III to launch on May 29th with the 32GB model as a Vodafone exclusive; other markets around the world will follow after that. Specifically, the company says that 4G versions will be coming to North America and Japan in summer — and the US will see it in June.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/3/2996619/samsung-galaxy-s-iii

pxleyes

Banned
A year and a month old in EU.

Im not sure what you are looking for in this thread. This is not Android 1.0. We, and the entire planet knows that HW manus do not ship vanilla Android. They don't. This isnt new, and its been discussed to death for the last 3 or 4 years. The option for a phone with Vanilla Android exists, and always has, in a single format. Nexus.

Storming into a Galaxy S3 thread expecting people to bother conversation with you, as you stand back shocked that Samsungs new flagship is hosting TW, that they previously rolled out to the S2 a month ago isnt going to get you anywhere. You would get just as benign a response storming into the next iPhone reveal screaming about wanting widgets.

Tossing about the long banned "Defense force" meme just ensures everyone ignores you also.
An on-going issue with the OS is an on-going issue. A new phone that perpetuates a bad design decision shouldn't be excused from that label just because everyone else does it. You bring up one of the worst arguments possible. The fact Android has been treated this way by manufacturers for 3-4 years doesn't mean the treatment is good for the OS. The fragmentation of the OS, both in style and functionality, hurts the perception of the OS as a whole. Where does it benefit the user to have an OS, designed meticulously by Google, manipulated and butchered by hardware manufacturers. I've never understood the attitude that it 'just is this way, accept it.'

pxleyes

Banned
Oh, so we are back on that now, and not the TouchWiz thing.

Ok, well, how else do you handle it? Pretty much all information in the Western world is displayed left to right top to bottom. Should they have it swirl around and you have to rotate the phone in circles to read it? Should you have to hold it up to a mirror? Maybe it could just strobe quickly and randomly put bits of the info out there, so you absorb it subconsciously.

I think you're really reaching on this one.

How is your argument different from those who claim ultrabooks have to look like the Macbook Air because 'it's a rectangle, how else would you do it', or those who say the same sort of thing about phone designs since the iPhone came out? Samsung is copying almost every designed aspect of Siri in their voice app. To say that is the ONLY way set up a voice app is to belittle every designer who has ever had an original interface design.

Edit: Thread where folks made the same argument you are making: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467759&highlight=ultrabook

Top Bottom