• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Addnan

What twitter apps do you guys use? I've tried a couple, tweetcaster, currently using twidere which isn't bad, but was hoping for something closer to tweetbot on ios

MNC

Finally, 4.1.2 for International S3.

Kies: "Your phone does not allow firmware upgrade through KIES."

OTA:"Your device is modified. You cannot use OTA updates."

FUCK!

Mascot

Just taken delivery of my S3.
Oof! It's a slippery bugger. What's the GAF recommendation for a good, light, slim, tough, cheap, rubberised case?

What twitter apps do you guys use? I've tried a couple, tweetcaster, currently using twidere which isn't bad, but was hoping for something closer to tweetbot on ios

I use Twicca, quite a good free app.

Just gone to access the Play store on my phone and as soon as i open the app it closes again with no error message. I've gone into the app manager and cleared the cache and data but no joy, any ideas?

My S3 rebooted when I was browsing the internet the other day and now won't get past the Samsung logo when I turn it on. I can't get into recovery mode, only download mode but I still can't do anything about it via Odin.

I did have a custom (Touchwiz based) rom but I've had it on it for months so i don't think it was the rom that was the problem. Am hoping that Samsung don't try and bill me for repair :(

BIGWORM

My S3 rebooted when I was browsing the internet the other day and now won't get past the Samsung logo when I turn it on. I can't get into recovery mode, only download mode but I still can't do anything about it via Odin.

I did have a custom (Touchwiz based) rom but I've had it on it for months so i don't think it was the rom that was the problem. Am hoping that Samsung don't try and bill me for repair :(

So holding Vol up + Home while powering up nets you nothing?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I lost my phone charger for my SII, any place to get one that doubles as the data transfer cable too cheaper than 5$? lol

Anyone know the site that has google apps which are compatible with cm10 upgrades? I just updated to cm 10.1 but now my google apps like google play etc wont work.

Dropped my S3 on the pavement just as soon as I was waiting for a new case to come in because the old one became stale looking

Cosmetically it looks OK, but lately I noticed my signal going downhill for no reason. I remember signal not being a problem when I initially dropped it but could it crop up as a problem later on?

It might be the ROM/Radio/Modem combo I have also, but I've flashed it a few times since with mixed results.

Anyone know the site that has google apps which are compatible with cm10 upgrades? I just updated to cm 10.1 but now my google apps like google play etc wont work.

Install G.IM

you can connect with Odin but flashing doesn't work? did you try flashing a stock rom?

Just taken delivery of my S3.
Oof! It's a slippery bugger. What's the GAF recommendation for a good, light, slim, tough, cheap, rubberised case?

Get the Rearth Slim case. $9.99. Not too many people use Rearth cases (no idea why) but I have used them for my SII, Note, and now SIII and have loved them every single time.

Mascot

Get the Rearth Slim case. $9.99. Not too many people use Rearth cases (no idea why) but I have used them for my SII, Note, and now SIII and have loved them every single time.

This chap?

41drnaeNuxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Looks like exactly what I need. Thanks!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

Does it have a stand? I'm looking for something that's not bulky, will protect against damage from drops, and has a stand. At work so I can't view amazon.

you can connect with Odin but flashing doesn't work? did you try flashing a stock rom?
Yep. Also tried one of those packages that flagged everything ie pit, PDA, CSC etc but all to no avail. My friend's sgs3 died completely for no reason the other day so I'm assuming there's a definite problem with some of them, add evidenced by the sudden death threads on xda forum.

M.D

Fuck.

My dad told me that he would buy me a Galaxy S3 today if I want to, but I really want an Iphone 5 (which is like 250$ more over here, or the Xperia Z, if I'm going with Android again) after having a terrible experience with the first Galaxy. I HATE IT.

What do I do GAF.... I told my dad I want the Iphone 5... he told me the same arguments I heard when I decided between the Galaxy S and Iphone 4 (I would not be upgrading today if I had chosen the Iphone 4)

Toki767

Fuck.

My dad told me that he would buy me a Galaxy S3 today if I want to, but I really want an Iphone 5 (which is like 250$ more over here, or the Xperia Z, if I'm going with Android again) after having a terrible experience with the first Galaxy. I HATE IT.

What do I do GAF.... I told my dad I want the Iphone 5... he told me the same arguments I heard when I decided between the Galaxy S and Iphone 4 (I would not be upgrading today if I had chosen the Iphone 4)

Get the iPhone 5. That way if you hate it, you only have yourself to blame.

clav

Fuck.

Kids these days...

You get to choose a smartphone?

Fuck.

Android 4.1 is a different beast than the 2.1 of the original galaxy. If expandable memory and accessible battery isn't a deal breaker for you, then you should go iPhone 5 because from the sound of it you will just pick apart an android purchase and be full of regret.

Then again, not paying for it is a big bonus. I would have waited for the note 2 had I not been visiting my parents and they offered to get my red gs3 back in august.

So I just upgraded to a GS3 yesterday and was absolutely loving it until this afternoon until I tried to play some youtube videos from it to my samsung monitor using an mhl cable. The monitor did not recognize it as an mhl capable device, and a quick google brought up the fact that you apparently need a dedicated mhl adapter? What gives? And if that is the only option, were can I get one of the adapters? Other than that I love the phone.

MNC

Sometimes radio or shell ask for superuser access. Any idea whats causing this? As soon as it happens, the phone gets an insane amount of toast popups and i need to reboot.

Theres so much crazy. Phone csc being off, the pop ups... feel like doing a complete reflash. But i kinda dont wanna. :/

CPS2

Is there any way to change the apps in the tray at the bottom of the screen without running a launcher or rooting?

M.D

Get the iPhone 5. That way if you hate it, you only have yourself to blame.

I don't hate Android, I just hate my Galaxy S.
It's seriously the worst phone or even electronic device I have ever purchased. I seriously hate it.

I had so many problems with it, this is my third device and second battery, and it's still shitty, so it was never a problem with my device.
Everyone I know who took the Galaxy S instead of the Iphone 4 regret it just like me.

Kids these days...

You get to choose a smartphone?

.... -_-

Android 4.1 is a different beast than the 2.1 of the original galaxy. If expandable memory and accessible battery isn't a deal breaker for you, then you should go iPhone 5 because from the sound of it you will just pick apart an android purchase and be full of regret.

Then again, not paying for it is a big bonus. I would have waited for the note 2 had I not been visiting my parents and they offered to get my red gs3 back in august.

Expandable memory or replaceable battery are not issues for me.
Again, I don't hate Android, although I do prefer iOS. I just had so many issues with the Galaxy S that I'm wary of buying any Samsung phone.

I just read about the "sudden death" problem with the S3, are there any updates about that?

I don't hate Android, I just hate my Galaxy S.
It's seriously the worst phone or even electronic device I have ever purchased. I seriously hate it.

I had so many problems with it, this is my third device and second battery, and it's still shitty, so it was never a problem with my device.
Everyone I know who took the Galaxy S instead of the Iphone 4 regret it just like me.

.... -_-

Expandable memory or replaceable battery are not issues for me.
Again, I don't hate Android, although I do prefer iOS. I just had so many issues with the Galaxy S that I'm wary of buying any Samsung phone.

I just read about the "sudden death" problem with the S3, are there any updates about that?

the new firmware is supposed to have sorted it out. Anecdotally, mine died last week (bought it at launch in the UK, 31/5/12) and my friend's died over Christmas. His was four months old. He sent it off and got it repaired for free though, only took a week.

derExperte

Fuck.

Where do you live? Because here in Germany (and other contries but it seems to be worse in Europe) the 5 has some issues with speech quality and dropped calls since release (see for example https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4348915?start=0&tstart=0). Our Telekom is finally looking into it officially but beware if you want to use it for talking to other people. My dad kinda regrets buying one right now and it's strange how little publicity this problem gets, imo it's at least as bad as the sudden death of the G3 and while that one apparently got fixed I have a bad feeling about this one.

M.D

the new firmware is supposed to have sorted it out. Anecdotally, mine died last week (bought it at launch in the UK, 31/5/12) and my friend's died over Christmas. His was four months old. He sent it off and got it repaired for free though, only took a week.

Did they die after installing the update? are there any reports of phones dieing after installing the new firmware?

Where do you live? Because here in Germany (and other contries but it seems to be worse in Europe) the 5 has some issues with speech quality and dropped calls since release (see for example https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4348915?start=0&tstart=0). Our Telekom is finally looking into it officially but beware if you want to use it for talking to other people. My dad kinda regrets buying one right now and it's strange how little publicity this problem gets, imo it's at least as bad as the sudden death of the G3 and while that one apparently got fixed I have a bad feeling about this one.

I live in Israel, never heard of the problem, but I'm not really following these news. I only heard about the sudden death of the S3 today.

Anyway, I'm thinking I'll go with the S3 or won't upgrade right now.
Iphone 5 is quite more expensive here, and while I'd like to get the Xperia Z, I don't know when will they launch it here or what will be the price.

I'm leaning towards upgrading.

Mascot

Fuck.

I've had iPhones since their inception, but fancied a change. And a bigger screen. And not having to deal with the clusterfuck of iTunes.

Liking the S3 very much so far.

kaskade

Anyone using CM10.1 M ? They seemed to fix some of the weird graphic glitches that I previously had in CM10 with apps like instagram and any.do. And now group messaging is included! So far it's pretty good, I need more time with it though.

Nakazato

My battery after 4.1 as be shit i cant even get through a day with minimal use it fucking sucks and im on power saver mode i wish i could go back to 4.0.might just have to buy a bigger battery or multiple battery.

BIGWORM

My battery after 4.1 as be shit i cant even get through a day with minimal use it fucking sucks and im on power saver mode i wish i could go back to 4.0.might just have to buy a bigger battery or multiple battery.

A lot of people had said to wipe data after flashing to 4.1 to restore regular battery life. You can also buy an extended battery like an Anker. Or both.

Fuck.

pay the difference yourself and get the iPhone 5.

Top Bottom