• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Dali

Proud new owner of an s3 thnaks to a tip from faceless. Got it from radioshack for 99 bucks. Awesome phone so far. Only complaint is I feel oike I'm not using it to its fullest when I look at all its featurs, lol. S beam and nfc specifixally.

CPS2

Inside of the app drawer, Menu > Edit, I believe?

Ugh this totally works on the S2 but not the S3. I don't think there's a way to change the app tray without installing a launcher or rooting. That sucks. Didn't Samsung realise I don't want to use those shitty apps?

legacyzero

Banned
So the bottom corner of the back plate has a small chip in it. Damn, I must have dropped it somehow :(

Is there a way I can just buy a a replacement for the back cover?

M.D

Hey, 2 questions from a new owner

I've heard people say you should charge the phone to 100%, use it all up and let the battery die and then do it 2-3 more times. Is that good for the battery?

Also, can anyone recommend a case for the phone?

MNC

Ugh this totally works on the S2 but not the S3. I don't think there's a way to change the app tray without installing a launcher or rooting. That sucks. Didn't Samsung realise I don't want to use those shitty apps?

I can still do this on my S3.

trilobyte

Ok this is bugging me

I noticed this icon in the image gallery I never saw before. It's at the top-right and looks like a TV with arrows on it. A number-1 is hovering over it.

When I click it, it does nothing but say 'unsupported file'

any ideas what this is?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hey, 2 questions from a new owner

I've heard people say you should charge the phone to 100%, use it all up and let the battery die and then do it 2-3 more times. Is that good for the battery?

Also, can anyone recommend a case for the phone?

I see your questions were not answered yet. As for the charging it up and letting it die that's old urban legend from the batteries of old back in the flip phone days. But now you do not need to do that. Battery tech has improved from 10 years ago.

I don't have any recommendations on a case. I use a smoked argyle jelly cover.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Which firmware version do you have? I've already installed a launcher so its not a big deal but its weird they'd take that out at all...
That's weird because I can also move and remove them if I want and I'm on stock. Same with the ones on the lock screen. On the S2, I couldn't move or add any icons...

Anyone else with Sprint S3? Does yours have a weak radio? I lose reception in quite a few spots that says no reception. It doesn't even roam, it just basically loses service. Is this a common problem with this phone? I'll probably end up selling it when the S4 comes out and buying that. I'd hope I can still get $300+ for it at that time.

Ok this is bugging me

I noticed this icon in the image gallery I never saw before. It's at the top-right and looks like a TV with arrows on it. A number-1 is hovering over it.

When I click it, it does nothing but say 'unsupported file'

any ideas what this is?

that means your GS3 has detected a media player in your network that can stream that file. However depending on your media player, it might not be able to play that format.

profit

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before.

I bought this phone for my girlfriend's birthday a month ago, now she says when she's listening to music, all her music tracks are stuttering. Any idea what might cause this?

moojito

I bought this phone for my girlfriend's birthday a month ago, now she says when she's listening to music, all her music tracks are stuttering. Any idea what might cause this?

Is it on power saving mode? That cuts the cpu speed down, and its maybe struggling under the weight of having a lot of stuff open.

radjago

So I just upgraded to a GS3 yesterday and was absolutely loving it until this afternoon until I tried to play some youtube videos from it to my samsung monitor using an mhl cable. The monitor did not recognize it as an mhl capable device, and a quick google brought up the fact that you apparently need a dedicated mhl adapter? What gives? And if that is the only option, were can I get one of the adapters? Other than that I love the phone.

If you find out, post back here. I'm interested in creating a dock station with MHL for display, USB on the Go, and a bluetooth keyboard.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I have a nexus. And I was wondering if I unlock/root/install a custom ROM. Is there anyway I can go back to stock & locked at the press of a button?

Dali

Realized this a few days ago when I was travelling. Back in an airport again and I'm reminded foxfi doesnt work using wifi on the s3. :/

The whole reason I bought an app to use my phone as a wireless hotspot was because I didnt want to root again.

Faulty headphones or she doenst have them pushed all the way into he jack probably.

Frangipani

Neo Member
Anyone else with Sprint S3? Does yours have a weak radio? I lose reception in quite a few spots that says no reception. It doesn't even roam, it just basically loses service. Is this a common problem with this phone? I'll probably end up selling it when the S4 comes out and buying that. I'd hope I can still get $300+ for it at that time.

Yup, happens a lot but only at my job, so far. Which sucks. Just been uploading a lot of music and using the stock music player app. No more radio for me at work :(

M.D

I see your questions were not answered yet. As for the charging it up and letting it die that's old urban legend from the batteries of old back in the flip phone days. But now you do not need to do that. Battery tech has improved from 10 years ago.

I don't have any recommendations on a case. I use a smoked argyle jelly cover.

Thanks for the answer.

I already did that with the battery before you answered (just one time), so hoping it didn't actually cause any damage ;p

About the case - I'm seeing a lot of people recommending Otterbox commuter/defender, but also people having issues with them.

I'm not really sure I want it tho.. it makes a huge phone even bigger, it just makes the phone ugly :/

rdrr gnr

When I post on GAF from my phone, it is very difficult and imprecise to move my cursor around in a quoted or written block of text. It jumps all over the place. What is that about?

Argyle

If you find out, post back here. I'm interested in creating a dock station with MHL for display, USB on the Go, and a bluetooth keyboard.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...10833&cs_id=1083314&p_id=10019&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...10833&cs_id=1083314&p_id=10021&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10833&cs_id=1083306&p_id=9739&seq=1&format=2

Probably the first one is what you want, but I think you're going to have to hack it so that you can connect USB OTG at the same time...

Dawg

Does anyone know a good site for wallpapers? I want a kewl gaming-related wallpaper on my S3, but I have no idea if I need special dimensions or anything.

alcide

Banned
Seriously Samsungs Firmware is so fucked.

Why is there millions of millions different firmwares for each country, for the international version.

Seriously what the fuck is going on?

United Kingdom 2012 December 4.1.2 I9300XXELLA I9300OXAELLA Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 December 4.1.2 I9300XXELL4 I9300OXAELL4 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 October 4.1.1 I9300XXDLJ4 I9300OXADLJ4 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 September 4.1.1 I9300XXDLI8 I9300OXADLI8 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 September 4.1.1 I9300XXDLI7 I9300OXADLI7 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 September 4.1.1 I9300XXDLI6 I9300OXADLI6 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 September 4.1.1 I9300XXDLI5 I9300OXADLI5 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 September 4.1.1 I9300XXDLI4 I9300OXADLI4 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 September 4.1.1 I9300XXDLI3 I9300OXADLI3 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 September 4.1.1 I9300XXDLI2 I9300OXADLI2 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 September 4.1.1 I9300XXDLI1 I9300OXADLI1 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 August 4.1.1 I9300XXDLH9 I9300OXADLH9 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 August 4.1.1 I9300XXDLH8 I9300OXADLH8 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 August 4.1.1 I9300XXDLH7 I9300OXADLH7 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 August 4.0.4 I9300XXBLG8 I9300OXABLG8 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 August 4.1.1 I9300XXDLH6 I9300OXADLH6 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 August 4.1.1 I9300XXDLH4 I9300OXADLH4 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 July 4.0.4 I9300XXBLG8 I9300OXABLG8 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 July 4.0.4 I9300XXBLG6 I9300OXABLG6 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 June 4.0.4 I9300XXBLFB I9300OXABLFB Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 June 4.0.4 I9300XXALF2 I9300OXAALF2 Download Unlock Info
United Kingdom 2012 May 4.0.4 I9300XXALE8 I9300OXAALE8 Download Unlock Info

What the fuck is this?

It's doing my head in trying to figure out which one is which?

Samsung need to get their firmware shit together.

Yup, happens a lot but only at my job, so far. Which sucks. Just been uploading a lot of music and using the stock music player app. No more radio for me at work :(

I think you might have misunderstood. I meant the antenna more specifically I guess. The reception goes in and out, like even just sitting in one place I can go from no bars to 5 bars sometimes and I lose reception completely in some areas where it doesn't even roam.. I figure this is because Samsung has a horrible antenna in this phone. Hopefully that is rectified in the next one.

zedge

Seriously Samsungs Firmware is so fucked.

Why is there millions of millions different firmwares for each country, for the international version.

Seriously what the fuck is going on?

What the fuck is this?

It's doing my head in trying to figure out which one is which?

Samsung need to get their firmware shit together.

LOL, most people will never see this stuff or know what it is. If your flashing roms like this its up to you to figure out what is what.

alcide

Banned
LOL, most people will never see this stuff or know what it is. If your flashing roms like this its up to you to figure out what is what.

I wouldn't have to flash if Kies worked.

Orange won't let OTA updates and literally Kies will not work. I've gone through everything, this phone will just not work with Kies.

List of everything I've tried:

- Five different PC's, from xp, vista, windows 7
- Before and after re-formating my PC
- Tried every driver for this phone I can find.
- Actually physically replaced my phone with a new one after spotting a dead spot on my phones camera, still exactly same problem.

I've got the phone recognized in Kies a few times, first time it wouldn't update, something about not supported. All remaining times, it says there is no update. Despite the Orange firmware 4.1.1 to have been released for months.

Kies is a full out piece of shit. So sick of this Orange firmware, and constant failure of Kies. I download the required ROM. Fire up Odin. Literally 5 minutes later I have my phone updated to the latest version.

Now you're probably thinking, not the users problem they shouldn't be doing that. Well actually. This is probably a real reason we're seeing such an awful firmware support from Samsung. They are literally making thousands of different ROM's for every country, for every carrier, for every phone.

This is a really really fucked up way of working this phone. The original international S3 should be one platform. 1 update to cover the whole thing. But no we're still waiting on ROM's to be released for our specific country. It's a joke.

You can't tell me having 1000+ different ROM's for a single phone is a good thing.

Orange won't let OTA updates and literally Kies will not work. I've gone through everything, this phone will just not work with Kies.

- Actually physically replaced my phone with a new one after spotting a dead spot on my phones camera, still exactly same problem.

I've got the phone recognized in Kies a few times, first time it wouldn't update, something about not supported. All remaining times, it says there is no update. Despite the Orange firmware 4.1.1 to have been released for months.

Kies is a full out piece of shit. So sick of this Orange firmware, and constant failure of Kies. I download the required ROM. Fire up Odin. Literally 5 minutes later I have my phone updated to the latest version.

Now you're probably thinking, not the users problem they shouldn't be doing that. Well actually. This is probably a real reason we're seeing such an awful firmware support from Samsung. They are literally making thousands of different ROM's for every country, for every carrier, for every phone.

This is a really really fucked up way of working this phone. The original international S3 should be one platform. 1 update to cover the whole thing. But no we're still waiting on ROM's to be released for our specific country. It's a joke.

You can't tell me having 1000+ different ROM's for a single phone is a good thing.

a part of the problem is carriers. if you buy a carrier phone, then the carrier is Samsung's customer... if you want to be the customer of the company that actually makes the phone, you probably want an iPhone.

Paznos

Has anyone else got their Samsung care package for registering their phone? I got mine in the mail yesterday, I thought it was suppose to come with one package of tectiles but they sent me two plus the flip case.

BIGWORM

Has anyone else got their Samsung care package for registering their phone? I got mine in the mail yesterday, I thought it was suppose to come with one package of tectiles but they sent me two plus the flip case.

Got mine. Wife gave my Pebble Blue (more like baby blue?) flip cover to her coworker, which ironically was her birthday. I have no use for the Tec Tiles because I'm using the Anker extended battery that doesn't have NFC. I'm thinking about buying an external wall charger + extra battery so that I can keep the form factor.

zedge

Each carrier has its own specific software and addons, not to mention radios. Not much Samsung can do, they have to provide updates for them all.

alcide

Banned
a part of the problem is carriers. if you buy a carrier phone, then the carrier is Samsung's customer... if you want to be the customer of the company that actually makes the phone, you probably want an iPhone.

Or a Nexus. I'm hoping a really nice quality Nexus comes out, the Nexus 4 is an amazing phone for it's price. But I'd like to see a Sony Nexus or Motorola's Nexus (provided they completely COMPLETELY revamp their design team).

Each carrier has its own specific software and addons, not to mention radios. Not much Samsung can do, they have to provide updates for them all.

That I understand is a necessary evil if Samsung wants to get their phone out. But why are there multiple unbranded firmwares? One for each country. It's ridiculous. They can't spare an extra couple megabytes to just bundle all the radio software into one international ROM? I find that incredibly ridiculous. Shit how come Apple can have one platform across the whole world?

zedge

Or a Nexus. I'm hoping a really nice quality Nexus comes out, the Nexus 4 is an amazing phone for it's price. But I'd like to see a Sony Nexus or Motorola's Nexus (provided they completely COMPLETELY revamp their design team).

That I understand is a necessary evil if Samsung wants to get their phone out. But why are there multiple unbranded firmwares? One for each country. It's ridiculous. They can't spare an extra couple megabytes to just bundle all the radio software into one international ROM? I find that incredibly ridiculous. Shit how come Apple can have one platform across the whole world?
many of those on samfirmware are not final versions and not meant for the public. There's probably only one or two official roms for each.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any truth to the whole 'draining your battery once a month is healthy for your battery' thing?

I generally charge my battery whenever I'm around a power source (if it's convenient to do so), so I haven't drained my S3 battery yet. I got it last December so it's still relatively new.

Nice. how fast?

Ux3S6TT.png

it's nice here finally.

but will still suck since at work there's no signal at all probably and i'm in the city lol.

Dawg

This is my first smartphone and I have the feeling there's a bit of screen ghosting...

Like, when I scroll upwards/downwards, I can clearly see the text almost going double (like the pixels are a tad too slow.) This happens especially with black text on a white background. Ever since I noticed this, I begin to see it everywhere on the screen.

Could be I'm just too OCD-minded though.

which Nexus? Galaxy Nexus? that had several variants, some updated by Google, some by Samsung, some screwed over by Verizon and Sprint.

Nexus 4? good luck buying one!

Is there any truth to the whole 'draining your battery once a month is healthy for your battery' thing?

I generally charge my battery whenever I'm around a power source (if it's convenient to do so), so I haven't drained my S3 battery yet. I got it last December so it's still relatively new.

nope.

alcide

Banned
which Nexus? Galaxy Nexus? that had several variants, some updated by Google, some by Samsung, some screwed over by Verizon and Sprint.

Nexus 4? good luck buying one!

Basically a Nexus you buy off Google. I'm not in the anti-competitive states where you have to sell your soul to the only telecoms company in your area in order to receive a gimped branded phone to use.

In the UK you can use any phone you like with any carrier. Saying that I'll be buying the next Nexus, Nexus 4 while as I said is just slightly under the quality I'd like, it's also impossible to get a hold off like you said.

But then again I've just flashed 4.1.2 onto my phone, reset it. Received a bit of a performance boost. (thanks to the guys recommending that). Multiview is ... well why hasn't this been done before! Could do with more app support. Then there is the smart rotate, (rotates phone depending on your face) etc etc Samsung has really outdone themselves with innovate features.

I'm still very disappointed with the performance. I mean no joke, my girlfriends San Diego (a low budget Intel android smart phone) beats my phone out in numerous areas from loading contact lists, to the messaging app, to multitasking. Samsung need to get their TouchWiz on par if not better than stock android. At the moment it's really lagging behind.

PJV3

I have had the S3 for a while with no problems, but lately the browser has been playing up, I tried Firefox instead but that's just as bad (goes blank and returns to home screen)

is this common, or is there an easy fix?

Basically a Nexus you buy off Google. I'm not in the anti-competitive states where you have to sell your soul to the only telecoms company in your area in order to receive a gimped branded phone to use.

In the UK you can use any phone you like with any carrier. Saying that I'll be buying the next Nexus, Nexus 4 while as I said is just slightly under the quality I'd like, it's also impossible to get a hold off like you said.

But then again I've just flashed 4.1.2 onto my phone, reset it. Received a bit of a performance boost. (thanks to the guys recommending that). Multiview is ... well why hasn't this been done before! Could do with more app support. Then there is the smart rotate, (rotates phone depending on your face) etc etc Samsung has really outdone themselves with innovate features.

I'm still very disappointed with the performance. I mean no joke, my girlfriends San Diego (a low budget Intel android smart phone) beats my phone out in numerous areas from loading contact lists, to the messaging app, to multitasking. Samsung need to get their TouchWiz on par if not better than stock android. At the moment it's really lagging behind.

What are you hoping for at £280? Pretty much the best you could get at that price really.

Top Bottom