• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Dawg

I'm using 50% brightness, but ever since I installed whatsapp, instagram and foursquare, my battery seems to drain quite fast.

wat do?

AndyD

aka andydumi
they just delivered me the case and tiles.

LOL. i forgot i have pebble blue phone. this case clashes so hard with it (persimmon) lol.

I got the Orange case with a blue phone. Meh. I wish they had the lime when I ordered. Would like one of those.

BraXzy

I'm due for an upgrade, should I wait till the next one is announced and let it have a possible price drop, or should I just dive in with it now?

VanWinkle

I got my free flip cover and tectiles from that Facebook promotion about a month back. The cover is great looking. I like the orange a lot.

I love the flip cover too. You think you wouldn't use it, but the fact that it replaces the back cover does totally make it. I got a light blue one on a Pebble Blue one. Trade me for a Pebble Blue color :p

I like the TecTiles too..I can automate check-ins/automate navigation stuff when I get in my car.

MNC

Fucking promotion. I purchased in December; they want me to have purchased it in January. I BOUGHT YOUR FUCKING PRODUCT WITHOUT ANY PROMTION INCENTIVE AND I DONT GET THE COOL STUFF?

Basically a Nexus you buy off Google. I'm not in the anti-competitive states where you have to sell your soul to the only telecoms company in your area in order to receive a gimped branded phone to use.

In the UK you can use any phone you like with any carrier. Saying that I'll be buying the next Nexus, Nexus 4 while as I said is just slightly under the quality I'd like, it's also impossible to get a hold off like you said.

But then again I've just flashed 4.1.2 onto my phone, reset it. Received a bit of a performance boost. (thanks to the guys recommending that). Multiview is ... well why hasn't this been done before! Could do with more app support. Then there is the smart rotate, (rotates phone depending on your face) etc etc Samsung has really outdone themselves with innovate features.

I'm still very disappointed with the performance. I mean no joke, my girlfriends San Diego (a low budget Intel android smart phone) beats my phone out in numerous areas from loading contact lists, to the messaging app, to multitasking. Samsung need to get their TouchWiz on par if not better than stock android. At the moment it's really lagging behind.
the San Diego is budget in price, but not performance. that Intel SoC is pretty good in benchmarks.

Not sure if this is the place to ask but I'm going to ask anyway!

I just recently flashed my S3 with a custom rom (Foxhound 1.9) and now I'm getting a dodgy error eith my SD card. It often doesn't recognise the card (luckily I managed to get the data off it one of the times it was playing nice) and comes up with the "Blank SD card" message in the notifications window. It prompts me to format the card, which when I press, it claims it can't do and then says Blank SD card again. I've formatted the SD card through the pc as well with no luck. Is this a common problem with roms or is it the card and if it's the former, are there any roms that someone could recommend that maybe don't do this?

I don't want to have to go back to stock again unless necessary but naturally I can't use my phone seriously if my SD card is playing silly buggers so what say you, Gaf?

clav

Not sure if this is the place to ask but I'm going to ask anyway!

I just recently flashed my S3 with a custom rom (Foxhound 1.9) and now I'm getting a dodgy error eith my SD card. It often doesn't recognise the card (luckily I managed to get the data off it one of the times it was playing nice) and comes up with the "Blank SD card" message in the notifications window. It prompts me to format the card, which when I press, it claims it can't do and then says Blank SD card again. I've formatted the SD card through the pc as well with no luck. Is this a common problem with roms or is it the card and if it's the former, are there any roms that someone could recommend that maybe don't do this?

I don't want to have to go back to stock again unless necessary but naturally I can't use my phone seriously if my SD card is playing silly buggers so what say you, Gaf?

Go back to stock.

Yeah, I recently flashed back to stock due to data/3G errors (I could only connect to EDGE or 4G with no GPS). I don't miss much. I enabled SMS reply popup and a couple other hacks thanks to XDA Devs.

Flash a Stock based updated kernel and updated modem and just customize stock to your liking.

BFIB

Besides the music player thats built in, what other apps is recommended for playing my library? My main issue is every time I get into my car, even though I have shuffle selected, I have to restart the app a few times to actually have my music shuffle.

Besides the music player thats built in, what other apps is recommended for playing my library? My main issue is every time I get into my car, even though I have shuffle selected, I have to restart the app a few times to actually have my music shuffle.

I use PowerAmp. Its by far the best one I've tried.

Yeah, I recently flashed back to stock due to data/3G errors (I could only connect to EDGE or 4G with no GPS). I don't miss much. I enabled SMS reply popup and a couple other hacks thanks to XDA Devs.

Flash a Stock based updated kernel and updated modem and just customize stock to your liking.

That's really upsetting news! I love the clean UI and extra options that become available on a custom rom. The black on blue is so much better than the green that comes with stock. The dialler looks dope as hell. I prefer the notifications icons being in blue. Everything really...

Are there any ways that I can get round this and have a fully working & functioning phone while retaining at least parts of this UI?

That's really upsetting news! I love the clean UI and extra options that become available on a custom rom. The black on blue is so much better than the green that comes with stock. The dialler looks dope as hell. I prefer the notifications icons being in blue. Everything really...

Are there any ways that I can get round this and have a fully working & functioning phone while retaining at least parts of this UI?

Flash Stock and remove Samsung bloatware? Install the Nexus theme?

Chinner

Banned
is Samsung build quality still dodgy? I know quite quite a few people who had problems, but I assumed it had improved within the recent years.

is Samsung build quality still dodgy? I know quite quite a few people who had problems, but I assumed it had improved within the recent years.

Obviously anecdotal but my friend went through 3 of their plasma tv's before finally seeing sense and getting a Panasonic. Anybody I know with an S2 has had plenty of problems with phones randomly rebooting and all the S3 owners I know have had the sudden death syndrome. I bought mine at launch (May 31st) and my friends got theirs in August/September.

As I said, I'll be steering clear plus I prefer stock Android.

i dropped my s3 3 times after night out, it now has 2 hair line cracks on the lower left corner and some rough edges, but everything's working ok.

except, after the latest update, everytime I reboot it, the default keyboard switches back to samsung's not swiftkey, and few icons get removed from the homescreen.....

clav

Obviously anecdotal but my friend went through 3 of their plasma tv's before finally seeing sense and getting a Panasonic. Anybody I know with an S2 has had plenty of problems with phones randomly rebooting and all the S3 owners I know have had the sudden death syndrome. I bought mine at launch (May 31st) and my friends got theirs in August/September.

As I said, I'll be steering clear plus I prefer stock Android.

Oh crap.

The PS3 YLOD and Xbox 360 RROD on phones?

Talon

As far as I know, the televisions are what Samsung mainly gets dinged for. The LCD panels have a tendency to crap out right after your warranty expires.

BiggNife

Maybe I've just gotten lucky, but I've dropped my S3 a whole bunch of times and I haven't seen any visible scratches or cracks. There was a guy earlier in this thread who said his screen broke when his phone fell into a crack in his sofa and my phone has definitely survived worse falls than something like that, so ymmv I guess.

ReBurn

Gold Member
My screen cracked in my pocket, but it's really only visible when off. I don't know that it is necessarily related to build quality, but it is a little disappointing how fragile it is.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
My coworker dropped her phone today at work from a chair to the floor and the top right of her phone is cracked. Very small crack, but noticeable. Sucks for her!

On the subject of the power saving mode, I always have it on and don't notice much of a difference in daily use. Only difference I see is the stock browser is less bright (to conserve battery) and that's about it. Don't really play much games that much to notice a difference in performance.

surly

Banned
Does anyone know how to delete the 'my device' bookmarks in the Internet browser? Does it require root access?
If they are crappy third party bookmarks that you didn't add that cannot be deleted, you can try this: -

Settings - Applications manager - All

Then force stop this and disable it: -

com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks

Top Bottom