• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

BIGWORM

The only reason why I'm not on CM10.1 with my phone is because of the emulated storage thing. I think I need to just suck it up and move all my stuff to external memory. =/

Seanbob11

My girlfriend dropped my phone a few months ago so it has a small crack on the screen, but it was totally fine.

Yesterday I was using my phone and it just shut off. It won't turn on or anything, I've left it charging, taken the battery out and still nothing. It was rooted and since I can't get it working my warranty is void yes? Does anyone had this problem or know how much Samsung would charge to fix it or should I just cut my losses and get a Nexus 4?

My girlfriend dropped my phone a few months ago so it has a small crack on the screen, but it was totally fine.

Yesterday I was using my phone and it just shut off. It won't turn on or anything, I've left it charging, taken the battery out and still nothing. It was rooted and since I can't get it working my warranty is void yes? Does anyone had this problem or know how much Samsung would charge to fix it or should I just cut my losses and get a Nexus 4?
Sudden death syndrome, Samsung should fix it for free. Yet another reason why I'm steering clear of any Samsung products after I'm done with this phone.

Cr0wn0

Anyone having wifi issues? Have At&t and it just drops constantly. It will turn on for 30 seconds and then drop out and won't come back. My router is an asus rtn56u and is about one room away. Any help?

Cr0wn0

Is the problem just at home or does it drop any wifi signal?

I work from home so I couldn't test it anywhere else. I upgraded my router firmware and it's been solid ever since. Wierd that I didn't have any issues before and that fixed it. Might of just needed a reboot.

BIGWORM

Transferred over my stuff from internal to external memory, and am running LiquidSmooth, which is based off of 4.2.2 AOSP, and it's been pretty smooth so far.

Futureman

best option for getting a GSIII screen replaced??

my friend got it only about 2 months ago. Pretty sure he has no insurance on it through Verizon.

edit: it's cracked glass, the screen seems ok he says.

zedge

best option for getting a GSIII screen replaced??

my friend got it only about 2 months ago. Pretty sure he has no insurance on it through Verizon.

edit: it's cracked glass, the screen seems ok he says.

Buy a kit online. As cheap as $15. (Glass only) Not easy to change but it can be done. There are lots of youtube videos showing how to do it. Buddy at work is doing his.

radjago

The Mercury cases are fab. Every imaginable color is available too. These guys are Korean and the fit and finish on these cases is flawless unlike most of the shitty quality cases you can buy on eBay and Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008EME2BY/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I picked up the white case and the only complaint I have is there is small particles of glitter in the material. It's only really noticeable in bright sunlight, but I could do without it.

Buy a kit online. As cheap as $15. (Glass only) Not easy to change but it can be done. There are lots of youtube videos showing how to do it. Buddy at work is doing his.

the problem with replacing just the glass is you have to remove the bonding between the glass and panel and then it becomes a dust trap under there.

mclem

I've noticed some weird behaviour on my Samsung S3 (running default OS/default keyboard): Sometimes when typing, and I can't quite isolate exactly what triggers it, the cursor position after being moved is wrong; I may have it placed displayed on the bottom line somewhere, but if I look at the autocomplete line it's referring to a point several lines up - and indeed, if I start typing, the cursor jumps up to that spot. It makes fixing typos a nightmare!

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Something weird happened yesterday... I got a notification saying 'password change needed' or something, didn't know what it was for, but typed in a password anyway.

Now it turns out it's for my lockscreen and I can't remove lock screen security. I can only select password or PIN, all the other options are greyed out.

Why has my phone forced a lockscreen password? I'm on CM10.1 nightly, but haven't updated in a week at least.

Something weird happened yesterday... I got a notification saying 'password change needed' or something, didn't know what it was for, but typed in a password anyway.

Now it turns out it's for my lockscreen and I can't remove lock screen security. I can only select password or PIN, all the other options are greyed out.

Why has my phone forced a lockscreen password? I'm on CM10.1 nightly, but haven't updated in a week at least.

are you using the device to access a work account via exchange?

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
well that could do it.

How so? I added the account months ago, I had a quick look in settings and can't see anything to do with it

Edit: OK I'm certain now that this is to do with my university changing to Microsoft Exchange 2010 or whatever it is from what they had before, which didn't force a password lock. Thanks for the help. Any way to bypass this?

AndyD

aka andydumi
How so? I added the account months ago, I had a quick look in settings and can't see anything to do with it

Edit: OK I'm certain now that this is to do with my university changing to Microsoft Exchange 2010 or whatever it is from what they had before, which didn't force a password lock. Thanks for the help. Any way to bypass this?

No way to bypass aside from not using Exchange, and using a web mail interface. My work started the same thing last couple of weeks. Enforced security from server side.

clav

This phone takes horrible low light photos. So grainy, and the flash even dims the photo, too.

Hate to say it, but I think my old HTC Diamond Windows Mobile 6.5 phone took better photos.

If anyone is interested in AOSP roms, try SlimBean. The stable release just came out and its been rock solid on my phone. Everything works. Battery is great (better than stock, IMO).

My gf just picked one up Tuesday through Amazon. The phone cost 1 cent with a 2 year contract @ $70/month. Not a bad deal if you consider the cost of the phone into the $70 over 2 years. It's a very nice design and the OS is smooth and responsive. She wont buy apple products so the S3 seems to be a damn fine alternative.

So I played with an n4 recently and I simply must go to stock. Is cyanogen still the best stock rom?
Heh, my sister-in-law, who is not a tech nut by any stretch, recently got a VZW S3, and immediately asked me if I can put stock Android on it. Even she recognized how bad Touchwiz is.

It's really terribly designed from an aesthetic point of view. Those icons in the settings menu look horrendous. I admire Samsung for what they've done with the Galaxy brand, but, damn, hire someone with some modern visual design prowess.

Anyway, I put LiquidSmooth on it, which runs great and has profiles since she likes those. Only things that're missing are a good solution for accessing menus and/or multitasking (one or the other has to be hidden behind a longpress) and Photosphere in the camera, which was apparently left out because of bugs.

notsol337

marked forever
Here's a question: About twice a day it asks me to select my input method even though I select the Samsung keyboard repeatedly.

Is there any way to get it to stop asking me?

If I understand your problem correctly, it only pops up when you're typing. It's just there to give you a quick way to select an input method. My Galaxy Note II does the same thing, but only when I'm typing something. As far as I have found, there's no way to change that short of a custom ROM.

iirc there are some hacks if you're rooted.

kaskade

Heh, my sister-in-law, who is not a tech nut by any stretch, recently got a VZW S3, and immediately asked me if I can put stock Android on it. Even she recognized how bad Touchwiz is.

It's really terribly designed from an aesthetic point of view. Those icons in the settings menu look horrendous. I admire Samsung for what they've done with the Galaxy brand, but, damn, hire someone with some modern visual design prowess.

Anyway, I put LiquidSmooth on it, which runs great and has profiles since she likes those. Only things that're missing are a good solution for accessing menus and/or multitasking (one or the other has to be hidden behind a longpress) and Photosphere in the camera, which was apparently left out because of bugs.

I agree. That's pretty much the only thing I don't like about the phone. I have CM10.1 on my phone and it's so much sleeker looking. TouchWiz to me just looks very generic. It almost feels somewhat my first smartphone like. I'm sure some people really like that though.

Not sure if this would be the right place but I'll give it a shot.

My friend just bought one and is looking for a case that I guess could double as a wallet/clutch. She checked on etsy and saw a few, but wanted to know if there are any other options as many are made for the iphone.

Thanks.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
the latest sprint leak doesn't bring in the premium suite but it does close folders after opening an app.

killer phone

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Anyone using a nightly build of CM 10.1 ?

Are there any buggy issues? I had to switch back to stock from CM10 because bluetooth audio in my car would not produce any bass unless I connected it, then called someone, then hung up with them.

My son was getting aggravated that I would call him only to hang up so I could get my music to play correctly in the car. LOL

A Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon case which I got from a Hong Kong ebay seller. (Matches my wallpaper.)

I NEED this, desperately NEED it.

MNC

Man, I want my S3 to close folders after opening an app.

Also, I dearly hope that JB 4.2 does NOT remove the actual toggles in touchwiz. Else I'm going to AOSP/CM.

Top Bottom