• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

BIGWORM

missing samsung logo under the front facing speaker, extra large gap between the screen and home button button.

sorry, that sucks man.

If you look even harder, you can see the Samsung letters on the back aren't lined up correctly, either. I think that's my OCD rearing its head.

demented

One more thing, vibrate mode on my phone doesn't work anymore. What I want is to just have sound on sound mode and just have vibrate on vibrate. Now however, if I enable vibration in sound mode it will work in vibrate mode too but if i disable it it doesn't and acts just like mute. Sound and vibration option is greyed out in all but sound modes. I tried all I could think of in the settings but cant figure it out. I run a stock rom, 4.1.2 jb.

One more thing, vibrate mode on my phone doesn't work anymore. What I want is to just have sound on sound mode and just have vibrate on vibrate. Now however, if I enable vibration in sound mode it will work in vibrate mode too but if i disable it it doesn't and acts just like mute. Sound and vibration option is greyed out in all but sound modes. I tried all I could think of in the settings but cant figure it out. I run a stock rom, 4.1.2 jb.

just throwing this one out off the top of my head, could be way off... do you have haptic feedback set to off in power saving mode?

sikma42

Banned
Any idea how much the s4 will run with and without contract. If I don't see a big jump I may just buy an s3 on March 14. Really need a new phone since my Droid incredible 2 is dead.

Not sure whether to just use Asurion and keep unlimited Verizon data plan or jump to a subsidized S3...

Blackhead

Redarse
Keyboard Buddy Galaxy S3 Case

9Atidt2.jpg

:O

Any idea how much the s4 will run with and without contract. If I don't see a big jump I may just buy an s3 on March 14. Really need a new phone since my Droid incredible 2 is dead.

Not sure whether to just use Asurion and keep unlimited Verizon data plan or jump to a subsidized S3...

probably the same $699.99 that every other new high end phone starts at

clav

just got 2 OTA updates for Sprint S3. first one was about 153MB second one was 3.0MB.

The first one is the MA6 update (157.6 MB). Been trying to update all week by checking updates daily. Gave up and did the Google Services Framework trick tonight. This update brings non-disclosed bug fixes.

The second one is the MB1 update, which enables third party licenses.

None of these updates bring the Premium Suite.

demented

After many many hours I got all my contacts merged,tidy and synced to google. Should I press merge with samsung or will that mess it up later? Dont want to go tthrough this again.

Still no vibration on vibrate.

So I just got an S3 after deciding a Nexus 4 was viable for me (poor coverage from T-Mobile/AT&T locally) and am wanting to know the easiest way to tear this thing down to stock. I have been using a Nexus 7 a lot lately and I really don't like this Touch Wiz thing (everything else about the phone is great so far though).

Cyanogen Mod 10 seems to be the way to go? I've seen some guides that are months old and am wondering if that's still the best way to go about things. I used to just use a launcher on my old phone, but I want to do it right this time.

Is there any reason they're not doing the monthly builds for the International S3? I keep hearing how good they are but then I go and check and there's no build for the I9300GT :(

This would be perfect if it had a flap to cover the screen when closed. I currently have a screen protector and a case that I spilt coffee on the other day so haven't used since (paid for itself that day though because my phone would have been buggered) but I find that when not using the case, the screen protector gets scuffed and although that's better than the screen being scuffed, you're using the protector 24/7 so it might as well be the screen.

On that note, does anyone know where I can find a multipack of screen protectors for this phone at a respectable price? I wouldn't mind changing it once every 2 months if I could find some for dirt cheap.

Edit: A potential drawback I can see is that the keyboard has to be flipped out so that you can use the camera. That would be my only gripe as I like to be able to get to my camera as quickly as possible in case I need it for taking pics or videos of something spur of the moment that may not happen again.

clav

That's weird.

The OTA update from LJ7 to MA6 only updated my baseband.

Still says Android 4.1.1

WTF

Android wth

Hey guys, I currently have an HTC Incredible right now and I *might* be upgrading phones soon. Probably not to an S4 or a Note 3 or anything just because of the money, but I should be able to upgrade to an S3 or a Note 2 if all goes well.

Does anyone have any opinions on the S3? I figure it'd be better to ask about the S3 specifically in this thread, since I imagine if I ask about both phones I'll probably get more S3 biased thoughts :p

But, either way, if anyone has any opinions to give on it at all, that would be great. My main focus is just better battery life when I won't be able to have a charger with me, though ease of web usage, texting, and potentially music are all important as well.

http://www.case-mate.com/Samsung-Ga...xy-S3-Brushed-Aluminum-Barely-There-Cases.asp

This is the only S3 case I could ever stand. Literally all other cases look terrible to me. Is there a reason they're all so shitty?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008HETQF6/

This is the case I rock. My SO's brother got me it for Christmas because he knew how much I used my phone for watching movies and streaming. Love it to bits. I initially wanted to get something like that Case Mate (although not the one you've linked) but then remembered that the S3's screen tends to scratch really easily, and that screen protectors in general are just a long term way of spending more on protecting your phone than you should do.

Now I don't have to bother with them.

clav

That's weird.

The OTA update from LJ7 to MA6 only updated my baseband.

Still says Android 4.1.1

WTF

Android wth

Anyone?

I ran the OTA update again manually from the SD card, but that didn't help. Tried 2-3 different zip files, and the outcome is all the same.

Phone won't manually update to MB1 either due to line 7 assertion error. Probably because the about name still says 4.1.1 with the old firmware brand even though it's the newer baseband.

:(

lol so much for OTA updates

Google really needs to sort this out.

Also every time I try transferring large files to the external SD Card, the reader times out and unmounts the card half way through the process. edit: solved using MTP

edit 2: I guess I'll have to root and do a dirty install of the ROM through a custom recovery manager.

bubububububububut I thought wasn't required to do this for stock ROM! wth googy

clav

After root and the ROM + baseband downloads, I'm now on MB1 + Android 4.1.2.

That was too much work.

All my data was safe though, so no reinstalling.

Warranty voided though.

Wish I could get rid of this TouchWiz bloat safely.

Nova Launcher is great, but that touchwiz lockscreen just ruins everything.

-------------

Actually noticed the HDR setting for the Touchwiz camera. Why isn't this on for default?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
After root and the ROM + baseband downloads, I'm now on MB1 + Android 4.1.2.

That was too much work.

All my data was safe though, so no reinstalling.

Warranty voided though.

Wish I could get rid of this TouchWiz bloat safely.

Nova Launcher is great, but that touchwiz lockscreen just ruins everything.

-------------

Actually noticed the HDR setting for the Touchwiz camera. Why isn't this on for default?

just install the 4.2 gapps package for tw. it adds the 4.2 camera and launcher

clav

just install the 4.2 gapps package for tw. it adds the 4.2 camera and launcher

Link?

I think I'll wait for the official ROM to come with it.

Saw a peek of the new TouchWiz lock screen for 4.2

That's much better although I still want that ICS lock screen. The ability to swipe widgets in the lockscreen and applications will be handy.

I could use WidgetLocker, but I use a password on my phone.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Finally took the plunge and rooted/flashed CM10.1 onto my phone. So long touchwiz, I hardly knew ya.

Majmun

My sister dropped her S3 in the bathtub. She immediately switched the phone off, and she hasn't turned it on since yesterday. She's afraid the phone has gotten wet inside and she is waiting for it to dry up before switching it on again...

I ensured her that the S3 can deal with water for a short time and that her phone is fine. But she's stubborn lol

atomsk

Party Pooper
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008HETQF6/

This is the case I rock. My SO's brother got me it for Christmas because he knew how much I used my phone for watching movies and streaming. Love it to bits. I initially wanted to get something like that Case Mate (although not the one you've linked) but then remembered that the S3's screen tends to scratch really easily, and that screen protectors in general are just a long term way of spending more on protecting your phone than you should do.

Now I don't have to bother with them.

I've had something similar that I snagged on amazon real cheap back in June, and I love having the flap. I could probably never go to a case that didn't have one now. It's certainly saved my ass the handful of times I've dropped the thing.

My sister dropped her S3 in the bathtub. She immediately switched the phone off, and she hasn't turned it on since yesterday. She's afraid the phone has gotten wet inside and she is waiting for it to dry up before switching it on again...

I ensured her that the S3 can deal with water for a short time and that her phone is fine. But she's stubborn lol

Bag of rice overnight (obviously pop off the back + pop out the battery)

kaskade

M snapshot 2 came out today. I'm assuming it's ok to just install it without wiping the phone correct? (coming from the first snapshot).

Is there any reason why my stock weather app would stop updating the weather? It worked fine up until a few days ago, now it won't update temperature and location unless GPS is on. It didn't used to be like this, and I didn't do anything to the settings, so is there a reason for the change?

aFIGurANT

Hey guys, I currently have an HTC Incredible right now and I *might* be upgrading phones soon. Probably not to an S4 or a Note 3 or anything just because of the money, but I should be able to upgrade to an S3 or a Note 2 if all goes well.

Does anyone have any opinions on the S3? I figure it'd be better to ask about the S3 specifically in this thread, since I imagine if I ask about both phones I'll probably get more S3 biased thoughts :p

But, either way, if anyone has any opinions to give on it at all, that would be great. My main focus is just better battery life when I won't be able to have a charger with me, though ease of web usage, texting, and potentially music are all important as well.

Reposting for my benefit too here; also is the price on the S3 going to be down to the hundred dollar range after the 4 is announced/being shipped this summer?

Bucca

Are you guys on CDMA?

I had a fling with the last CM10 builds and early 10.1 builds, and there were some usability breaking bugs (e.g. Google Now not updating location.)

I'm on the latest snapshot for CM10.1 which was back at the end of January I think. It's really stable, haven't noticed any problems so far.

Madtown_

Is there any reason why my stock weather app would stop updating the weather? It worked fine up until a few days ago, now it won't update temperature and location unless GPS is on. It didn't used to be like this, and I didn't do anything to the settings, so is there a reason for the change?

I think the same thing just started happening to me, last update was Saturday night, it just refreshed endlessly.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I'm getting my GSIII tomorrow, but I need suggestions for a case. I prefer a hard shell with no flex on the sides whenever I'm swiping side to side.

What are everyone's favorites?

snacknuts

we all knew her
A 4.1.2 update for the VZW version of this phone started rolling out today. I just manually checked on my device and it let me pull it.
  • Improved predictive text input on keyboard
  • Can take pictures while on a call
  • Improved email syncing and bluetooth performance

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/03/04/verizon-galaxy-s3-receiving-update-to-vrbmb1-inc/

Bucca

Which carrier?

I'm on T-Mobile. My brother did the same to his GS3 and he's on AT&T and he says it works just fine.

I'm getting my GSIII tomorrow, but I need suggestions for a case. I prefer a hard shell with no flex on the sides whenever I'm swiping side to side.

What are everyone's favorites?

I use the Incipio Faxion case (black) on my white GS3 and it is absolutely incredible. Tight fit, no give, and it's really slim. The black one seems to have gone back up in price on amazon but there are other colors available as well.

clav

I'm on T-Mobile. My brother did the same to his GS3 and he's on AT&T and he says it works just fine.

T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM carriers, not CDMA.

OK, so I can't do what you did because the CDMA builds have a different set of bugs.

I didn't believe that until I tried it.

My S3 has been a bit slow these days and makes random noises every now and then when i check it or charge it. Could it be possibly infected with a virus?

And if so, any apps that can take care of it ?

massoluk

Banned
Wow, holy fuck, 7000MaH extended battery is amazing. Feels... liberating never having to worry about battery life again, ever.

Top Bottom