• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Ecto311

I'm still going for this one. I want it super cheap. It's still an amazing phone.

I have had this phone since it came out. I also had the iPhone 4 when it was released. This is the first phone I dont feel the need to upgrade. I have rooted and went with CM10.1 - some updates are shit but most of them make it feel even better than before. Unless the new phone is something magical this thing will be with me for a long time still.

neonglow

I'm looking into rooting my s3. How do I backup all my apps, contacts and settings before installing a custom rom? I looked into rooting JB and you need to install a custom rom to even root.

Dali

I have had this phone since it came out. I also had the iPhone 4 when it was released. This is the first phone I dont feel the need to upgrade. I have rooted and went with CM10.1 - some updates are shit but most of them make it feel even better than before. Unless the new phone is something magical this thing will be with me for a long time still.

Yep. I'm feeling the same way. This phone is amazing and can handle the million things I throw at it at once. I don't game on it really either so if they plan on using some awesome new super game as a carrot that's not going to work on me either.

clav

Yep. I'm feeling the same way. This phone is amazing and can handle the million things I throw at it at once. I don't game on it really either so if they plan on using some awesome new super game as a carrot that's not going to work on me either.

Samsung can be dicks and stop updating the device, which then you will have to rely on XDA for updates.

Dali

Samsung can be dicks and stop updating the device, which then you will have to rely on XDA for updates.

Works for me. I can't expect device support forever. But once again I say, "what can they really do to make me want to upgrade if this phone is still functional?" I'm not saying that to mean "there's nothing they can do". I'm just so happy with its current functionality I'm seriously curious and looking forward to seeing what they could add for me to say "Ohhhhhhh I need the S5 or S6 because it can do _______". I just put a new hard drive and added ram to my 2008 laptop just for full disclosure. It seems as long as I'm not planning on playing new games or using Zbrush I'm good for everything I could possibly want to do including semi-graphics intensive operations.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I think this is going to be common sentiment among those who purchased the flagship devices of 2012. I'm interested in seeing how the OEM's combat this.

Ecto311

Ahh. AT&T here. I hope there is good support for CM on that carrier.

I got AT&T too. No problems. The only hang up is some of the updates of CM make you switch the modem in the settings to get data in some areas. Really weird because it doesn't do that all the time. Tonight's nightly might do it but then tomorrows doesn't.

I don't have a problem relying on XDA because this phone is a flagship phone. If this was some off to the side pantech then I might worry. I think this thing will get updates for a long time.

Another thing that interests me is the nexus line since you can get them out of contract for not much more than a contract phone with upgrade from AT&T. Shit after the upgrade fee you are really close in price.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I got AT&T too. No problems. The only hang up is some of the updates of CM make you switch the modem in the settings to get data in some areas. Really weird because it doesn't do that all the time. Tonight's nightly might do it but then tomorrows doesn't.

I don't have a problem relying on XDA because this phone is a flagship phone. If this was some off to the side pantech then I might worry. I think this thing will get updates for a long time.

Another thing that interests me is the nexus line since you can get them out of contract for not much more than a contract phone with upgrade from AT&T. Shit after the upgrade fee you are really close in price.

AT&T is running a deal on refurb SIII's for $30. And once the IV drops, I'd imagine their new SIII's will drop in price also.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
same way they do every year. Faster phones, better screens, better build quality (for most), better cameras.

They need to do more than that, especially with phone subsidies going away. I don't think upgrading to a 1080p screen from a 720p screen or a 13MP camera from an 8MP camera is going to cut it for most. The next big step needs to be about the OS.

They need to do more than that, especially with phone subsidies going away. I don't think upgrading to a 1080p screen from a 720p screen or a 13MP camera from an 8MP camera is going to cut it for most. The next big step needs to be about the OS.
I bet it will cut it for most. People like new stuff. It will be faster, better in every way, and launch with the latest version of their software. People likey that. There's not much else anyone can do. Obviously if you recently got an S3 you won't feel the need to upgrade. But for others, it doesn't take much.

B3ASTMODE

I ended up buying an S3 on Craigslist. and after further examining it I think its fake. this is supposed to be the international unlocked version but its stuck on 4.1.1 and its not upgrading. there are no samsung apps on the phone but some random apps did come preinstalled. the notification light bleeds through the plastic(not sure if its supposed to do that). here are some pics what do you guys think?

What are some methods that I could try to confirm 100% authenticity?

6B2iDLB.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CEgK2Cr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
3KKC1Fz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
sSrtTj2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cipherr

I ended up buying an S3 on Craigslist. and after further examining it I think its fake. this is supposed to be the international unlocked version but its stuck on 4.1.1 and its not upgrading. there are no samsung apps on the phone but some random apps did come preinstalled. the notification light bleeds through the plastic(not sure if its supposed to do that). here are some pics what do you guys think?

Oh wow... man I said to myself "What the hell... thats a fake" before I even read the accompanying text in your post.

I will eat my hat if thats a genuine S3 man. I hope you can find a way to get a refund.

Angst

I'm looking into rooting my s3. How do I backup all my apps, contacts and settings before installing a custom rom? I looked into rooting JB and you need to install a custom rom to even root.

Contacts - should be synced to your gmail account already. If not, why the hell aren't you using gmail to sync everything?
Apps - Use Carbon - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup (no root required)
Texts - Carbon or SMS Backup & Restore

Settings - you don't want to backup the Android settings as everything is different anyway. Settings for apps will be backed up using Carbon.

B3ASTMODE

Oh wow... man I said to myself "What the hell... thats a fake" before I even read the accompanying text in your post.

I will eat my hat if thats a genuine S3 man. I hope you can find a way to get a refund.

fuck :( is there anything in particular that stands out?

BIGWORM

Without potentially bricking the "phone," I'm not sure of any ways to verify authenticity. You could flash a carrier-specific ROM, but in order to do that, you'd have to flash a carrier-specific recovery, both of which could probably (read: 99% chance) brick a fake. =/

You can see if you can do anything Samsung-specific, like S Beam. How much did you pay for it?

*ninja edit* Looked up the build number. Looks like a big thread on XDA that has another using listing that build number. Looking at the build number and software number produces a conflict, because the build number indicates ICS, but your version number says 4.1.1, which is JB.

saunderez

The notification light is supposed to be like that (well mine bleeds like that a bit) but that protective sticker on the front looks really dodgy, I'm almost 100% sure mine didn't have that many logos on the front. The baseband, kernel and build number are wrong for an i9300, they didn't even try and fake it accurately.

They should look more like this (taken from my i9300)

Baseband I9300BUELK1
Kernel (I'm running a custom kernel so no point listing that)
Build JZO54K.I9300XELL5

These will change depending on what ROM you're using but they usually look similar to what I've listed above.

B3ASTMODE

yeah after playing around with it the screen didnt seem right based on the reviews i read, and a lot of things just felt off. damn, paid 350 for it. doubt this guy will ever respond back. seemed like a good kid too. bleh that's what I get for trusting strangers.

saunderez

yeah after playing around with it the screen didnt seem right based on the reviews i read, and a lot of things just felt off. damn, paid 350 for it. doubt this guy will ever respond back. seemed like a good kid too. bleh that's what I get for trusting strangers.

It's probably a legit screen. Some of the chinese fakes I've seen actually used the Samsung part for the screen to make a more convincing fake.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Hey buddy maybe this app might be able to shed some info?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ad.net.in1.smarts.cpu&hl=en

rc213

Have you tried Kies app to see if it will pick it up. Also does it have a sticker under the battery with more info you can Google.

try running the ExynosAbuse checker on it!

edit: run AnTuTu and post screen http://www.talkingmobi.com/hdc-i930...standby-4-7-inch-screen-suport-3g-8mp-camera/

B3ASTMODE

Pretty sure that's the the one. Do you think people would pay money for it? I mean its a functioning phone. If I could get like 75-100 to get rid of this damn thing so I could forget about this mess. I mean, This crap ruined my sleep last night and didn't let me focus all day. I just need to forget about it asap.

quaere

Pretty sure that's the the one. Do you think people would pay money for it? I mean its a functioning phone. If I could get like 75-100 to get rid of this damn thing so I could forget about this mess. I mean, This crap ruined my sleep last night and didn't let me focus all day. I just need to forget about it asap.
$75? It's real 720p? I'll buy it...

McLovin

Is buying phones on Craig's list a thing? I mean I'm pretty sure you can get a refurb model from legit places for less then 350.

What don't you like about it?

My personal peeve with swiftkey (and all other keyboards so far I guess) is that the smiley button is not only on the first page, but often classed as more important than return and is the same size as the backspace button. I mean, who designed that?! "here, lemme just delete that incorrect autocorr:):):):):):)....fucks sake."

I figure that most people who use the phone and also use smilies, know exactly how to create one using the symbols on the symbols page. There is absolutely no need for an entire platoon of these fucking things to be residing in the bottom right corner of my keyboard. For the sake of saving someone less than 2 seconds to make their own, I far too often find myself having to spend more time deleting these when I press the button by accident... the problem being that as I'm deleting them, occasionally I hit the smiley button. It's a war that man cannot win.

and on that note, who in the history of ever draws smileys with a nose?!

Is there any way to delete your previously used words for predictive text? I can't tell you how many times I've almost send "shitter" to my parents or work associates.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it!

Is buying phones on Craig's list a thing? I mean I'm pretty sure you can get a refurb model from legit places for less then 350.
I get most gadget/game stuff used. I got my Note 2 for roughly 300usd cheaper. It's pretty much bnew and I know it's legit. Just gonna triple check everything before buying.

I dont buy from craigs but from a local equivalent that caters only to phones.

My personal peeve with swiftkey (and all other keyboards so far I guess) is that the smiley button is not only on the first page, but often classed as more important than return and is the same size as the backspace button. I mean, who designed that?! "here, lemme just delete that incorrect autocorr:):):):):):)....fucks sake."

I figure that most people who use the phone and also use smilies, know exactly how to create one using the symbols on the symbols page. There is absolutely no need for an entire platoon of these fucking things to be residing in the bottom right corner of my keyboard. For the sake of saving someone less than 2 seconds to make their own, I far too often find myself having to spend more time deleting these when I press the button by accident... the problem being that as I'm deleting them, occasionally I hit the smiley button. It's a war that man cannot win.

and on that note, who in the history of ever draws smileys with a nose?!

lots of people do. it may be a regional thing, but some people love their smiley buttons

AndyD

aka andydumi
lots of people do. it may be a regional thing, but some people love their smiley buttons

Yep, some people use those things like mad. I wish I could change smiley sets on my phone, the android ones are so tiny I cant see what they are doing sometimes.

As to the original issue, you can always adjust the tap/hold delay in Swiftkey, to prevent accidental smileys. But not much beyond that.

demented

So I tried omega rom and I didn't really like it so went back to stock and just rooted it, like it that way for now, just finished redownloading and setting up everything except one thing.. contacts.

I exported them before and now upon importing they're all messed up, ton of useless email addresses, same contact's other numbers split etc. So what's the best way to manage them? I'm gonna spend a while editing them so wanna know what to do. Make them all google contacts and sync on there?
I have a feeling nothing's syncing for me, when I tried to restore stuff from samsung upon reset nothing imported, calender, notes etc hm, google too. Gonna look more into this later but first what to do about contacts? Can I have them backed up on samsung and google at same time?

Edit: And market enabler still doesn't work right? Store checks ip?

Top Bottom