• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Cipherr

An on-going issue with the OS is an on-going issue. A new phone that perpetuates a bad design decision shouldn't be excused from that label just because everyone else does it. You bring up one of the worst arguments possible. The fact Android has been treated this way by manufacturers for 3-4 years doesn't mean the treatment is good for the OS. The fragmentation of the OS, both in style and functionality, hurts the perception of the OS as a whole. Where does it benefit the user to have an OS, designed meticulously by Google, manipulated and butchered by hardware manufacturers. I've never understood the attitude that it 'just is this way, accept it.'

I reiterate:
Im going to go out of my way to help you here, because your probably an inflammatory post or two away from a short ban. You have made your feelings known about the similarities to Siri. If you want to discuss the viability of HW manufacturers shipping Vanilla Android versus their own skins, and how that would work for or against the OS and its popularity with carriers and HW Manu's; thats a discussion better fitted for the Android OT, not here.

Take it to the operating systems official thread. Noone wants to talk about that here. You have said your piece, voiced your disapproval. Noone is saying you cant talk about it, Im saying take it to the OS thread so we can talk about this phone in this thread. And Im not asking you to accept it. Im asking you to take it where it belongs, you are shitting up the thread, Im trying to assume your not doing it intentionally, but your bullheadedness is starting to convince me otherwise.

Cipherr

Yeah, I just saw that on Twitter. That's actually a really good turnaround for them.

I think I might hold off for them to give the details on the US versions before I buy the Evo LTE. But I still dont think Im going to be convinced. Unless of course I go and try out the EVO and it has the same screen banding issues when gripped on the sides that the unibody ATT version supposedly has, but I dont think it will since its such a different chassis.

kehs

Banned
How is your argument different from those who claim ultrabooks have to look like the Macbook Air because 'it's a rectangle, how else would you do it', or those who say the same sort of thing about phone designs since the iPhone came out? Samsung is copying almost every designed aspect of Siri in their voice app. To say that is the ONLY way set up a voice app is to belittle every designer who has ever had an original interface design.

Edit: Thread where folks made the same argument you are making: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467759&highlight=ultrabook

harrisonford.gif

pxleyes

Banned
I reiterate:

Im going to go out of my way to help you here, because your probably an inflammatory post or two away from a short ban. You have made your feelings known about the similarities to Siri. If you want to discuss the viability of HW manufacturers shipping Vanilla Android versus their own skins, and how that would work for or against the OS and its popularity with carriers and HW Manu's; thats a discussion better fitted for the Android OT, not here.

Take it to the operating systems official thread. Noone wants to talk about that here. You have said your piece, voiced your disapproval. Noone is saying you cant talk about it, Im saying take it to the OS thread so we can talk about this phone in this thread. And Im not asking you to accept it. Im asking you to take it where it belongs, you are shitting up the thread, Im trying to assume your not doing it intentionally, but your bullheadedness is starting to convince me otherwise.

The original post where I brought up TouchWiz was just a single bullet point, and a valid critique of the SIII. I don't see how it was in any way an invalid critique of the SIII, as software is just as much a part of this announcement as the hardware. I'm fine leaving out the discussion of the Android fragmentation as it relates to the SIII, but I'm not backing away from the TouchWiz critique itself. TouchWiz is a negative on the SIII in my opinion, plain and simple. To each his own, I suppose.

Jeff-DSA

The original post where I brought up TouchWiz was just a single bullet point, and a valid critique of the SIII. I don't see how it was in any way an invalid critique of the SIII, as software is just as much a part of this announcement as the hardware. I'm fine leaving out the discussion of the Android fragmentation as it relates to the SIII, but I'm not backing away from the TouchWiz critique itself. TouchWiz is a negative on the SIII, plain and simple.

I hid TouchWiz on my GSII, and so did my wife. A few friends of mine left it as it came, and they think we're the crazy ones. It's not a cut and dry issue, some people really like TouchWiz, some don't, some are indifferent.

Biff

I hid TouchWiz on my GSII, and so did my wife. A few friends of mine left it as it came, and they think we're the crazy ones. It's not a cut and dry issue, some people really like TouchWiz, some don't, some are indifferent.

I actually liked TW until I kept getting the "Sorry! Unexpected Error..." issue every hour. Switched to GO Launcher EX and am really liking it so far.

harrisonford.gif

Someone got banned for that yesterday, just saying. The gif isn't the problem, but posting it as your entire response without contributing anything is the problem.

pxleyes

Banned

Fair point.

So what are the odds of this hitting t-mobile bands?

I would hope so. T-mobile needs SOMETHING to drum up attention. The One S is decent, but missing out on the One X is a bummer.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I would hope so. T-mobile needs SOMETHING to drum up attention. The One S is decent, but missing out on the One X is a bummer.

Well I don't care so much about T-mobile, more that the Canadian carrier I use runs on the same network as T-mobile and I usually look to that to see if I can use it or not.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I think I might hold off for them to give the details on the US versions before I buy the Evo LTE. But I still dont think Im going to be convinced. Unless of course I go and try out the EVO and it has the same screen banding issues when gripped on the sides that the unibody ATT version supposedly has, but I dont think it will since its such a different chassis.

Yeah, I'm probably gonna see them both in person as well, as long as it comes out no later than June. I can already tell I won't like the look of it unless the US carriers change it... The One X's design is simply amazing. Hopefully the banding is fixable, or fixed in the US versions.

Jeff-DSA

Yeah, T-Mobile really needs this phone. They did well with GSIIs though, so I imagine they're planning on carrying it.

JoeFu

Banned
Doesn't Euro TMobile use different bands? Looking at the specs it doesn't have the 1700 aws spectrum or whatever it uses in America. International one won't work with 3g American bands.

kehs

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myE498nyfGw

how is it unique to have an input button at the bottom of the app and text above?

isn't that basically the AOL Instant Messenger design, circa... whenever... or even IRC?

when was Microsoft Comic Chat released? anyone?

IRC? Sounds like cheap man's iMessage.

---

That social tag thing is pretty cool, I'm guessing built into touchwiz gallery?

I hope they didn't proprietary up the android beam....that's be really stupid thing to do.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Doesn't Euro TMobile use different bands? Looking at the specs it doesn't have the 1700 aws spectrum or whatever it uses in America. International one won't work with 3g American bands.

Oh right, that's true. I didn't realize that was the euro t-mobile site.

How is your argument different from those who claim ultrabooks have to look like the Macbook Air because 'it's a rectangle, how else would you do it', or those who say the same sort of thing about phone designs since the iPhone came out? Samsung is copying almost every designed aspect of Siri in their voice app. To say that is the ONLY way set up a voice app is to belittle every designer who has ever had an original interface design.

Edit: Thread where folks made the same argument you are making: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467759&highlight=ultrabook

ok, why is it that you argue that something looks similar in design to something else and act like that's a bad thing... and turn around and then argue that something else shouldn't be changed to look different that other things and then act like that is also a bad thing?

why is it that it's ok sometimes for everything to be the same, but other times it's not? is it because that way you can deride more things about some device?

Toki767

You know, the battery life on this thing could be insane for the US model if the S4 really is more power efficient like it is compared to Tegra 3.

Utako

Banned
On a first pass, this looks like a Galaxy Nexus with a new coat of wax, plus some fresh takes on Siri and PIP. No space-age ceramic.

Overall, I am unenthused! This was the hyper-top-secret product?

Doopliss

You know, the battery life on this thing could be insane for the US model if the S4 really is more power efficient like it is compared to Tegra 3.
Tegra 3 is 40nm whereas Exynos 4412 is 32nm so the difference from the Krait version probably won't be so pronounced.

rozay

Banned
Isn't the Galaxy S2 less than a year old? How many upgraders could there be?
millions outside the USA that don't have to sign 2 year contracts to get the newest phones, and people here that do it anyway. Notice how iPhone sales on a single carrier don't really drop each year?

I wonder what the American versions will look like since Samsung generally avoids the single button in the middle look for phones released here. Onscreen buttons?

sun-drop

i think i'm selling my s2 and getting this.

yes kinda disapointing re the pentile screen, and the plastic based body.

but ... in the same footprint and weight of a One X ..you get a bigger screen, and way bigger battery. and hey i prefer AMOLED due to the pure blacks ..

and honestly , no one is pushing the limits of mobile tech like Samsung right now ... i mean in terms on connectivity tech alone. S2 had wifi direct way before ICS ... and here we see them expanding on ICS beam (which just let you bump info and links right? ) by combining it with wifi direct.

i use the hell outta wifi direct at work ... 1.5GB torrent ..wanna share with my S2's owning buddies ? no sweat ... 6 or so mins later i've wirelessly transfered via our own private wifi link. only fiddly bit was setting it up ...NFC beam will be awesome with this .

i wanna know what the sound chip in this thing is ... hope they didn't stumble like they did with the s2 in this regard.

and touch wiz .... i seriously do not know why any one cares re these launchers ... you don't need to be rooted to run apex or nova launchers ..and you get to keep all yr manufacturer specific widgets and add ons that way too. so who cares.

the whole nature shit is a bit of a laugh ..easy to say it's just a buch of wall papers and sounds ...but i remember back to when samsung first started hinting at what they wanted for the S3 ...and they said battery life ... the main focus here. so i think all this nature shit is really a pointer to power savings/efficiency .... the exynous quad is meant to be very low drain ...plus that HUGE battey .... even with cool but power draining features like the eye tracking screen on monitor thing they are pulling with the frront facing cam ...i'm expecting razor like battery life here ....

the back of the phone looks ulgy as hell though ...i hated the s1's back and this looks more like that than the s2's textured one :(

i also love how sammy recognise that unteathered headphones is cool ...i've been using a sony mw600 for years .... and the only prob with that is blutooth battery drain ..looks like the s3 acccessory is along the same lines ...with again an eye to power saving tech..

day one

Toki767

I wonder what the American versions will look like since Samsung generally avoids the single button in the middle look for phones released here. Onscreen buttons?

While I hope they'd use software buttons, I suspect we'll see the usual four (menu, home, back, search) capacitive buttons. They're a Samsung staple for US phones.

sun-drop

PS all the ipleebs moaning about the sri stuff ..... all that "hello galaxy" and voice recog was in the s2 .... BEFORE sri ever showed up.

i don't know why sammy even bothered demoing it ...the eye tracking is way cooler tech. apple will prob steal that.

wonder how sony feels about sammy stealing their 2 year old photo face tagging tech though

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Took a small gamble and ordered a Galaxy Nexus this week even though the S3 announcement was so soon. After the reveal... decision justified. Can't wait for my Nexus to get here tomorrow.

Shiggy

Took a small gamble and ordered a Galaxy Nexus this week even though the S3 announcement was so soon. After the reveal... decision justified. Can't wait for my Nexus to get here tomorrow.

huh? Apart from the price (300€ vs. 600€), where's the Nexus better than the S3?

Futureman

huh? Apart from the price (300€ vs. 600€), where's the Nexus better than the S3?

I'm in the same boat, and IMO they aren't THAT different. I have an early upgrade June 5th... and I would probably go with Nexus over S3, especially since on Verizon the S3 will probably be $100 more expensive.

nib95

Banned
Ok, so S3 vs One X. If anyone has or finds a comparison on these elements, please post them or PM me. Will be the deciding factor.

Speed:

Screen: (Assuming One X wins this but will wait for full comparison)

Battery:

MP3 playback quality (through earphones):

Camera:

Video:

Gaming Performance:

Storage: (Galaxy S3 wins this with additional MicroSD)

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.

I didn't say the S3 wasn't the better phone in totality, but the Nexus is the better phone for me.

I can get it now (who knows when Verizon will get their S3). It cost me $150 on Amazon versus the $300 that the S3 will likely cost (maybe Amazon does $250?). I get a Google device for quicker OS updates and better ROM community. The display is still Pentile which was really my main feature point. If Samsung went full RGB I would have waited. The 4.8" screen is really pushing it IMO. Even the 4.65" of the Nexus is to be honest, but finding a flagship phone that isn't sporting a huge screen is near impossible now. I don't game much on my phone so I don't care about whatever super GPU Samsung might be using, and ICS is smooth as butter on the Nexus.

It would be nice to have the S4 CPU for better battery life and I like the thinness of the S3, but it's not worth waiting for to me. I've had my Incredible for 2 years now and it's starting to feel dated, even if it's the best phone I've owned to date.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Ok, so S3 vs One X. If anyone has or finds a comparison on these elements, please post them or PM me. Will be the deciding factor.

Speed: Probably S3

Screen: Subjective

Battery: Too early to tell

MP3 playback quality (through earphones): waaaaay too early to tell

Camera: probably subjective

Video: see above

Gaming Performance: probably S3

Storage: S3

Shiggy

I'm in the same boat, and IMO they aren't THAT different. I have an early upgrade June 5th... and I would probably go with Nexus over S3, especially since on Verizon the S3 will probably be $100 more expensive.

I don't think it's a bad decision, especially as the Nexus has become this cheap (as the Galaxy S2 is still facing higher demand). The price makes it a reasonable decision after all.
But then I'm also expecting the price of the S3 to drop by 100-200€ after 2 months, just like it's happening with every other Samsung device ;)

pxleyes

Banned
ok, why is it that you argue that something looks similar in design to something else and act like that's a bad thing... and turn around and then argue that something else shouldn't be changed to look different that other things and then act like that is also a bad thing?

why is it that it's ok sometimes for everything to be the same, but other times it's not? is it because that way you can deride more things about some device?

Apples to oranges. Consistency within an ecosystem is a positive. Copying designs from other ecosystems is a negative. Does that simplify it for you?

Top Bottom