• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

VPhys

Unimpressed, this is Samsung's iPhone 4S.

Pentile screen, a lower DPI than the galaxy nexus, the camera does not look that much advanced. I think I actually prefer the HTC One X to this, unfortunately it doesn't look like the one X phones are coming to Verizon.

In a year that Apple will most likely have a major hardware revision of the iPhone, Samsung needed to pull out all the stops.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Hmm, I have a feeling people hyped the phone too much and at some point Samsung just went along with it

C_H_T

Ok, so S3 vs One X. If anyone has or finds a comparison on these elements, please post them or PM me. Will be the deciding factor.

Speed:

Screen:

Battery:

MP3 playback quality (through earphones):

Camera:

Video:

Gaming Performance:

Storage:

Another deciding factor that could be, is the fact that the Galaxy S3 has a micro SD card slot, that gives you the option to extend it's storage (up to 32GB). In addition, the Galaxy S3 has the option to remove and change the battery. If the battery is faulty after a year or so, you can easily change the battery or you just want a bigger sized battery, it atleast give you the option.

Toki767

In a year that Apple will most likely have a major hardware revision of the iPhone, Samsung needed to pull out all the stops.

I'm curious what all the stops is even considered these days. I'm not impressed by the S3, but I can't imagine the iPhone this year being all that different except for having a bigger screen.

Timbuktu

Nah, that'd be next year, i think samsung is happy to be six months behind apple in their updates. If IPhone 5 doesn't make a significant leap though, i can't see the other doing anything that dramatic.

nib95

Banned
Unimpressed, this is Samsung's iPhone 4S.

Pentile screen, a lower DPI than the galaxy nexus, the camera does not look that much advanced. I think I actually prefer the HTC One X to this, unfortunately it doesn't look like the one X phones are coming to Verizon.

Out of curiosity, what else could they have done? I honestly think mobile phones are sort of reaching a saturation point. At least with respect to price performance ratio anyway. The main thing people are annoyed about is pentile, something you'd only notice on extreme eagle eyed inspection. I think that says it all.

And isn't 8mp more than most point and shoots? More important is sensor and low light performance, not mp. Anyone can up the mp count but it's the IQ that matters.

I love everything about the Samsung Galaxy S3, and the mere fact that the battery is removable and the MicroSD slot is present puts it heads and shoulders above the One X in my opinion. Additionally, if the GPU in the S3 is better (Hasn't quite been taxed or tested yet) then my choice is a million times easier.

Plus, I'm on T-Mobile!

Cipherr

Doesn't help that the One X's brightness is set much higher there.

Yeah, Id like to see some in depth side by sides. Turn the brightness on both of them up and hold them side by side. Go to a webpage, then show us both phones displaying pure black. I want to see those kind of comparisons.

Yeah, Id like to see some in depth side by sides. Turn the brightness on both of them up and hold them side by side. Go to a webpage, then show us both phones displaying pure black. I want to see those kind of comparisons.

Show the phones displaying pure white as well.

I'm sure the One X's screen has much better color accuracy and you won't have to deal with all the weird PenTile stuff.

Personally I think the S3 is a massive let down. Beyond wireless charging as standard there is nothing about this phone that really pushes the envelope which is what I expect of a flagship phone from one of, if not the worlds biggest consumer electronics company. Over to you Apple. Certainly not a reason to consider swapping from my Galaxy Nexus.

Red

Personally I think the S3 is a massive let down. Beyond wireless charging as standard there is nothing about this phone that really pushes the envelope which is what I expect of a flagship phone from one of, if not the worlds biggest consumer electronics company. Over to you Apple. Certainly not a reason to consider swapping from my Galaxy Nexus.
Wireless charging isn't standard. Unless I misunderstood.

VPhys

And isn't 8mp more than most point and shoots? More important is sensor and low light performance, not mp. Anyone can up the mp count but it's the IQ that matters.

I never said anything about megapixels. Megapixels is not what I'm looking for, but better image quality. Having owned an HTC rezound and now a galaxy Nexus, I can say that HTC phones have far superior cameras to Samsung and it doesn't appear that Samsung has put enough effort into improving the optics.

nib95

Banned
Show the phones displaying pure white as well.

I'm sure the One X's screen has a much better color accuracy and you won't have to deal with all the weird PenTile stuff.

Don't the Samsung phones have the option to change between Dynamic (default, eurgh), Normal and Cinema? I'd like to see a One X vs S3 screen comparison but with the S3 set to Normal or Cinema. Dynamic is hideous.

Niks

Out of curiosity, what else could they have done?

I think the feeling was that Samsung needed to wow to stand in equal footing with whatever apple will bring with the iphone 5. With these specs it seems that will not be the case?

giga

People just care about the exterior design of the phone more than anything. If the 4S had a new shell (and a different name), it wouldn't be labeled as incremental like the GS3 now.

nib95

Banned
I think the feeling was that Samsung needed to wow to stand in equal footing with whatever apple will bring with the iphone 5. With these specs it seems that will not be the case?

I reckon the iPhone 5 will just match it in most areas, except with a smaller screen, higher ppi, no microSD or removable battery and a much nicer (albeit less durable) design.

Cipherr

The iPhone 5 is 5 to 6 months away. Just as this phone is like 5 or 6 months after the 4S. Anyone expecting a phone to not be aped 6 months later when mobile tech is moving at the pace it is right now is dense beyond reasoning, or uninformed, or maybe just expecting Apple to cheap out.

I can understand not wanting the phone, Im not even sure Im goign to choose it over the Evo 4G LTE, but lets stop pretending that they were ever going to have something now, that could compete with what phones will be doing this fall. That was never going to happen. It might be moderately within the ballpark, but not matching or exceeding.

The same way the S2 which launched in March/April was upended in performance by the 4S in October.

Toki767

Well what's Apple really going to bring to the next iPhone that will make the S3 look like crap exactly? It's not going to be a quad core phone, it won't have as big of a screen, won't have microSD, won't have a removable battery. It'll probably have an underclocked A5X processor and 1gb of RAM. It may or may not have a 4" screen. I don't see them putting in a better camera than the one in the 4S.

I really don't understand people saying the next iPhone's hardware will make the S3 hardware practically irrelevant.

Red

I reckon the iPhone 5 will just match it in most areas, except with a smaller screen, higher ppi, no microSD or removable battery and a much nicer (albeit less durable) design.
I reckon the iPhone 5 will outmatch it in every area but screen size and storage.

The only real standout feature of the s3 for me is the potential storage size. I don't get the eye tracking thing. I haven't used it of course but I don't understand how it will be useful in a real world situation. When I am done with my phone, I lock the screen. I have it set to time out in fifteen seconds. From the impressions I've read it sounds like you must set a timer before the eye tracking kicks in. So, say fifteen seconds, then the camera searches for you, and if it finds you it decides what to do. Overall sounds like it will take longer and use more battery than a simple screen time out function would.

Cipherr

Well what's Apple really going to bring to the next iPhone that will make the S3 look like crap exactly? It's not going to be a quad core phone, it won't have as big of a screen, won't have microSD, won't have a removable battery. It'll probably have an underclocked A5X processor and 1gb of RAM. It may or may not have a 4" screen. I don't see them putting in a better camera than the one in the 4S.

I really don't understand people saying the next iPhone's hardware will make the S3 hardware practically irrelevant.

It wont make it irrelevant, but it will be faster, probably have a better camera, faster GPU and the like. All of that is expected half a year later.

Circle T

Seems that way, but a bit of an awkward spot. I'm loving their keys blending into the face when being off. It makes the hardware keys admissible.

Eh, the location of the light is fine by me, as long as it's there. As for the buttons, I only hope they fixed the light bleed that white devices have. On my Note, the Menu and Back buttons have a ton of light bleed through the white paint. Hard to notice in bright light, but at night and in the dark, the buttons look like they're glowing. Kind of annoying.

nib95

Banned
I reckon the iPhone 5 will outmatch it in every area but screen size and storage.

I dunno, I get the feeling the processor might only be comprable. Then again, a lot of comparisons between the S2 and 4S still have the S2 coming out on top, especially in certain web browsing speed tests etc. So you never can tell. But the GPU and likely camera too will most probably be much better, who knows. Lets see what the S3 camera is like first.

I honestly doubt it will blow it away though. For media junkies who love storage and a big screen, the iPhone 5 will not compare.

Red

I dunno, I get the feeling the processor might only be comprable. Then again, a lot of comparisons between the S2 and 4S still have the S2 coming out on top, especially in certain web browsing speed tests etc. So you never can tell. But the GPU and likely camera too will most probably be much better, who knows. Lets see what the S3 camera is like first.

I honestly doubt it will blow it away though. For media junkies who love storage and a big screen, the iPhone 5 will not compare.
Camera is a huge deal for me, and I'm really excited to see what the iPhone 5 will do.

I am thinking abou getting a One S just for the camera. That's on US Verizon, right?

Circle T

Ya, Engadget had a screenshot of the Touchwiz settings that showed "LED indicator" as a preference menu.

Excellent. That is one of those things that, up until I got my Galaxy Nexus, I had no idea how handy they were. Just never had a device with one before that. Now, though, I can't imagine being without it, especially with LightFlow to go with it.

msPrL.jpg

TFB5q.jpg

jK6Pu.jpg

MTNqi.jpg

nib95

Banned
Camera is a huge deal for me, and I'm really excited to see what the iPhone 5 will do.

I am thinking abou getting a One S just for the camera. That's on US Verizon, right?

You realise the S2's camera is very much comparable to the 4S's right? Some even put it ahead. Honestly, I think you'll be disappointed if you're expecting a huge jump.

Red

You realise the S2's camera is very much comparable to the 4S's right? Some even put it ahead. Honestly, I think you'll be disappointed if you're expecting a huge jump.
I havent used the SII's camera, but if that's true it would blow the pants off every other Android handset I've tried.

gimmmick

Why is everyone hating on s3? This will have the same performance as the one x, and it is just another option for android. Did you guys honestly think samsung was going to change something that is already a success? I blame the s2 for being such a great phone for this phone being a "let down". This is samsung's iphone.

nib95

Banned
I havent used the SII's camera, but if that's true it would blow the pants off every other Android handset I've tried.

I think the reason it doesn't seem obvious is because the S2's screen is so overly saturated and it's screen resolution not as sharp as the 4S's (which has a tiny screen on which photo's always appear more detailed than they actually are). So the shots may look a lot better on the 4S's screen but when you get them on a computer full size, they're very much comparable.

VPhys

Out of curiosity, what else could they have done? I honestly think mobile phones are sort of reaching a saturation point. At least with respect to price performance ratio anyway. The main thing people are annoyed about is pentile, something you'd only notice on extreme eagle eyed inspection. I think that says it all.

I have to think about that question for a bit. I just wanted to be wowed by this phone. The iPhone 4S was a an evolutionary upgrade and Apple tends to to do that every year, while every two years they make a revolutionary upgrade.

To think of just a few aspects which could have wowed me on this phone that did not:

Design
Screen
Build quality
Camera
Battery life
Something I didn't even expect, something that only engineers working for a manufacturer of this size would think of

nib95

Banned
I have to think about that question for a bit. I just wanted to be wowed by this phone. The iPhone 4S was a an evolutionary upgrade and Apple tends to to do that every year, while every two years they make a revolutionary upgrade.

To think of just a few aspects which could have wowed me on this phone that did not:

Design
Screen
Build quality
Camera
Battery life
Something I didn't even expect, something that only engineers working for a manufacturer of this size would think of

Design: Fair point.

Screen: You haven't used it yet. Pentile might not even be noticeable in real world use.

Build: Fair point. Guess they were going for light and durable.

Camera: No one's used it yet, my guess is it will be very good.

Battery life: 2100mAh dude. That's huge.

Something spesh: You didn't like all the new unique software features?

Top Bottom