• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Why is everyone hating on s3? This will have the same performance as the one x, and it is just another option for android. Did you guys honestly think samsung was going to change something that is already a success? I blame the s2 for being such a great phone for this phone being a "let down". This is samsung's iphone.

Stratospheric expectations

lachesis

Well, not an exactly massive let down, but I was at least hoping it would have little more RAM and AMOLED Plus screen.

On the good side, I'm still happy with my Epic 4g Touch in every way, and I still have 1+ yr on my contract - so I can wait for the SGS4 or next version of Galaxy Note with HD AMOLED Plus.

Design wise, it will probably change for each carriers so I don't have much to say about that. I was let down a bit in the beginning, but it's kinda growing on me...

Cipherr

At least we know why Samsung hasn't released the two docks for the Galaxy Nexus, they were too busy making pebbles.

--

Also andandtech article.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5810/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-performance-preview

46298.png

46302.png

46304.png

46294.png

46297.png

46300.png

GPU Performance: Insanely Fast

While we don't know the clocks of the Mali-400/MP4 GPU in the SGS3, it's obviously significantly quicker than its predecessor. Similar to what we saw when the Galaxy S II launched, Samsung once again takes the crown for fastest smartphone GPU in our performance tests.

The onscreen GLBenchmark Egypt and Pro results are understandably v-sync limited, but if you look at how much headroom is available thanks to the faster GPU it's clear that the Galaxy S III should be able to handle newer, more complex games, better than its predecessor.

What's particularly insane is that Samsung is able to deliver better performance than the iPhone 4S, the previous king-of-the-GPU-hill in these tests.

Jesus fucking Christ. Shame that we wont see this in the US.

nib95

Banned
Those Anandtech results paint a very dominating picture. CPU and GPU are beastly. I wonder how battery holds up.

Well what's Apple really going to bring to the next iPhone that will make the S3 look like crap exactly? It's not going to be a quad core phone, it won't have as big of a screen, won't have microSD, won't have a removable battery. It'll probably have an underclocked A5X processor and 1gb of RAM. It may or may not have a 4" screen. I don't see them putting in a better camera than the one in the 4S.

I really don't understand people saying the next iPhone's hardware will make the S3 hardware practically irrelevant.

it'll have some innovative apple thing that you never knew you wanted... like being able to lift the phone to your head after an imessage and it automatically calling the person who just imessaged you. it will have an emotionally driven 30 second commercial promoting this feature. and people will love it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Unimpressed, this is Samsung's iPhone 4S.

Pentile screen, a lower DPI than the galaxy nexus, the camera does not look that much advanced. I think I actually prefer the HTC One X to this, unfortunately it doesn't look like the one X phones are coming to Verizon.

In a year that Apple will most likely have a major hardware revision of the iPhone, Samsung needed to pull out all the stops.
by lower dpi do you mean to say it has a bigger screen?

nib95

Banned
it'll have some innovative apple thing that you never knew you wanted... like being able to lift the phone to your head after an imessage and it automatically calling the person who just imessaged you. it will have an emotionally driven 30 second commercial promoting this feature. and people will love it.

This is the sad truth. It will do something that the others phones already do or have, but do it slightly better and be marketed the hell out of till everyone thinks it's fresh, innovative and vital.

Only thing I can think of at this point is high fps or slow mo video recording, 3D photography or minor tweaks to the UI, especially in aesthetics.

Apples to oranges. Consistency within an ecosystem is a positive. Copying designs from other ecosystems is a negative. Does that simplify it for you?

more like Apples to Androids. some ecosystems are about customization.

What makes it look so good? I must be missing something here.

they look seamless, artistic, whatever.

i'll try to care while i enjoy my microsd and battery and bootloader.

Red

What makes it look so good? I must be missing something here.
Which are you asking about? The benchmarks speak for themselves, solid across the board. If you are asking what makes the HTC One series look so good, sorry but I can't help.

Toki767

i don't like either color :(

i also don't like the big button design.

worst of all, after seeing the benchmarks, i know i won't like getting qualcomm'd!

damn, Qualcomm, you had the crown there for a couple of weeks!

Considering we're getting Qualcomm'd, that means we also won't be getting the big button design. I think the blue looks pretty sexy and it's so refreshing to see a phone that isn't black or white.

VPhys

Design: Fair point.

Screen: You haven't used it yet. Pentile might not even be noticeable in real world use.

?

The screen has lower PPI than the galaxy nexus. Now, it's not THAT noticeable on the Galaxy Nexus by itself, but it is next to a better display like the 4S or rezound. The fact that this display is not even as good as the Nexus, smh.

pxleyes

Banned
more like Apples to Androids. some ecosystems are about customization.
Which is fine for some, but I don't see how that addresses the original point that Samsung copied Siri's interface almost entirely in style and look. If you like TouchWiz or the other manufacturer skins, more power to you, but I think skins are a hindrance to the adoption of the official design guided in devices.

Kyoufu

Which are you asking about? The benchmarks speak for themselves, solid across the board. If you are asking what makes the HTC One series look so good, sorry but I can't help.

The HTC One X. The buttons are the bottom look awful on each of their phones IMO. I prefer the look of S3 aesthetically and judging by benchmarks it looks like the winner in performance too.

rozay

Banned
those GPU scores are really, really impressive. I wonder how well this phone can run an app like DSLR controller.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
The screen has lower PPI than the galaxy nexus. Now, it's not THAT noticeable on the Galaxy Nexus by itself, but it is next to a better display like the 4S or rezound. The fact that this display is not even as good as the Nexus, smh.
look! It happened again.

I'll put a 1 inch 720p screen together for you and it'll blow your shit

Red

The HTC One X. The buttons are the bottom look awful on each of their phones IMO. I prefer the look of S3 aesthetically and judging by benchmarks it looks like the winner in performance too.
Nah. I don't like the physical button or the cheap looking plastic finish. Looks like a dated design right out of the gate.

The One X is really slick, the S3 looks bloated to me next to it.

Jeff-DSA

Which is fine for some, but I don't see how that addresses the original point that Samsung copied Siri's interface almost entirely in style and look. If you like TouchWiz or the other manufacturer skins, more power to you, but I think skins are a hindrance to the adoption of the official design guided in devices.

Holy jeez. I leave for a few hours and I come back and you're still at it on the same ridiculous point. Go out for some air, it's a nice time of year.

you don't see how because you must have missed my other posts that adressed that...

joke post? it's a 3% difference in PPI between the 316 in the GNX and the 306 in the GS3

pxleyes

Banned
you don't see how because you must have missed my other posts that adressed that...

I saw a vague mention of the interface, but no, I didn't see you ever refute it. I don't see how you can. The pictures speak for themselves.

Holy jeez. I leave for a few hours and I come back and you're still at it on the same ridiculous point. Go out for some air, it's a nice time of year.

I guess you'll be happy to know I've been outside for the last couple of hours, enjoying the evening air on my porch with a couple beers. Thanks for your concern though. Clearly I'm the one who needs to get out more. And if you care to actually address the point, instead of yelling like an infant to try and get your way, you are more than welcome to.

Biff

Can someone please explain this "U.S. getting qualcomm'd" thing to me?

Is this implying that the SGS3 is only going to be a dual core Snapdragon in N.A.? I'm in Canada and I assume whatever happens to U.S. phones would happen to our carriers too.

i prefer the look of the HTC One X. if they could somehow do that with a removable battery, microsd slot and ship their phone with an unencrypted, unprotected, unlocked bootloader and an amoled screen, i'd consider them...

eosos

Banned
HTC one x for me then. This phone is just way too big and I really hate that it's made of plastic. Or maybe I'll wait to see some new Windows phones and the new iPhone.

I saw a vague mention of the interface, but no, I didn't see you ever refute it. I don't see how you can. The pictures speak for themselves.

i didn't refute anything, i pointed out prior art to show that was a common design template. like you said, the pictures speak for themselves.

Jeff-DSA

And if you care to actually address the point, instead of yelling like an infant to try and get your way, you are more than welcome to.

I already did...

Oh, so we are back on that now, and not the TouchWiz thing.

Ok, well, how else do you handle it? Pretty much all information in the Western world is displayed left to right top to bottom. Should they have it swirl around and you have to rotate the phone in circles to read it? Should you have to hold it up to a mirror? Maybe it could just strobe quickly and randomly put bits of the info out there, so you absorb it subconsciously.

I think you're really reaching on this one.

rozay

Banned
Yeah, I realized that shortly after typing haha. I really hate how huge these phones have become. I don't get why they need to be 5 inches. I like putting them in my pocket.
they should fit fine in your pocket when they're very thin as a result of having such a large surface area

Top Bottom