• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

pxleyes

Banned
In pxleyes' defense, Samsung using a purple tint for their Siri knockoff is pretty blatant.

In fact it looks like it has a voice indicator that follows up and down with your voice with a similar purple dot pattern found on Siri. I'm sure I'm just imagining the similarities though.

galaxy-s-iii-252-sgMAIN--540x359.jpg

Jeff-DSA

nib95

Banned
In fact it looks like it has a voice indicator that follows up and down with your voice with a similar purple dot pattern found on Siri. I'm sure I'm just imagining the similarities though.

It used to do that when Android phone's had it long before Siri existed lol. Apple basically just combined voice commands on Android with the Android weather widget. If anything, I'd say Apple ripped off the idea more than Android, but it's irrelevant anyway.

Jeff-DSA

I always thought 4 inches was the perfect size. That said though, I'd rather have a screen be too big than too small.

I think the screen size on the GSII is perfect, but people who have the Note claim that they'll have a hard time going back down to a smaller screen...and that screen is ridiculous.

zedge

HTC one x for me then. This phone is just way too big and I really hate that it's made of plastic. Or maybe I'll wait to see some new Windows phones and the new iPhone.

The one x is made of plastic to no? I don't get the difference.

Plastic/Polycarbonate etc is much more durable than metal/glass etc. anyway.

pxleyes

Banned
It used to do that when Android phone's had it long before Siri existed lol. Apple basically just combined voice commands on Android with the Android weather widget. If anything, I'd say Apple ripped off the idea more than Android, but it's irrelevant anyway.

Really, it had that familiar Siri purple tint? I had no idea!!!!

The lengths people will go to defend random design theft. Really is the Zenbook thread all over again.

nib95

Banned
The one x is made of plastic to no? I don't get the difference.

Plastic/Polycarbonate etc is much more durable than metal/glass etc. anyway.

They are both made of polycarbonate. The difference is, one is matt and a unibody, the other is glossy and has a removable battery cover.

Now ask yourself, would you prefer slightly better build or a removable battery? I think Samsung made the right choice, but should have aesthetically prettied up the back more.

it's so ridiculous.

i've already pointed out how the same basic interface has been used for at least 20 years, and the same weather layout is a staple of weather layouts, but oh no, somehow showing a waveform representation of voice is a game changer, despite that probably being the oldest of them all.

FireCloud

Can someone please explain this "U.S. getting qualcomm'd" thing to me?

Is this implying that the SGS3 is only going to be a dual core Snapdragon in N.A.? I'm in Canada and I assume whatever happens to U.S. phones would happen to our carriers too.

I think, if I understand correctly, the LTE radio used in the US is not yet compatible with the quad core processor so the S4 dual core would have to used here.

pxleyes

Banned
it's so ridiculous.

i've already pointed out how the same basic interface has been used for at least 20 years, and the same weather layout is a staple of weather layouts, but oh no, somehow showing a waveform representation of voice is a game changer, despite that probably being the oldest of them all.

It's common practice for Samsung at this point. They've been doing this for a good 2-3 years now. I don't know why you try and defend it or act surprised when another example is found.

I guess Gruber agrees with me. Source alone will upset some, but I'm clearly not alone.

Samsung S-Voice

Love that purple tint. Where do they come up with such innovative designs?
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/05/03/samsung-s-voice

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I think the screen size on the GSII is perfect, but people who have the Note claim that they'll have a hard time going back down to a smaller screen...and that screen is ridiculous.

The Note will spoil you absolutely rotten. Dat luxury

That being said, we're only .2 cm from the Streak! Crazy times

nib95

Banned
Really, it had that familiar Siri purple tint? I had no idea!!!!

The lengths people will go to defend random design theft. Really is the Zenbook thread all over again.

This is what Android's voice commands used to look like.

gLqhE.png

This is what Apple's used to look like. Before it even had anything resembling voice commands or Siri.

voicememo-280-100.jpg

You tell me which made the bigger change or "copy". Apple just combined the first and second page of Android's implementation and added a bit of extra functionality, but in principle it did exactly what Google Voice Commands did.

kehs

Banned
It's common practice for Samsung at this point. They've been doing this for a good 2-3 years now. I don't know why you try and defend it or act surprised when another example is found.

Pretty much.

All of Touchwizes widgets are lifted straight out of the iPhone.

pxleyes

Banned
This is what Android's voice commands used to look like.

This is what Apple's used to look like. before it even had anything resembling voice commands or Siri.

You tell me which made the bigger change or "copy". Apple just combined the first and second page, but in principle it did exactly what Google Voice Commands did.

Voice memo is not voice commands. I guess you can call it the same thing, but the functionality is entirely different.

zedge

They are both made of polycarbonate. The difference is, one is matt and a unibody, the other is glossy and has a removable battery cover.

Now ask yourself, would you prefer slightly better build or a removable battery? I think Samsung made the right choice, but should have aesthetically prettied up the back more.

I prefer the removable cover. Have a GS2 and a Nexus, the build quality is fine imo.

On a side note..

Whats with all the stealing from Apple bullshit in this thread? smh

better build?

Samsung phones have always performed remarkably well in drop tests. i can't say the same for HTC...

or maybe you mean better LOOKING build...

Jeff-DSA

I don't even mind the defense of design theft. It's the denial of design theft that baffles me.

But it's only design theft in a single direction? Apple used a voice command icon to be pretty much exactly what Android used. No fuss. Now Samsung continues to use what Android already had (first, as we've established), but it's blatant design theft because of a similar color? That's ridiculous.

pxleyes

Banned
What a boring topic to have an internet fight over.

I've learned design integrity is dead, and original ideas don't matter.

*the more you know*

But it's only design theft in a single direction? Apple used a voice command icon to be pretty much exactly what Android used. No fuss. Now Samsung continues to use what Android already had (first, as we've established), but it's blatant design theft because of a similar color? That's ridiculous.

Are you sure there wasn't a fuss, or do you simply not remember one?

Cipherr

You guys want to take that shit to PM's please....

please...

giga said:
Re: anandtech benches.

QUALCOMM'D UP THE ASS.

Funny, I was content as hell before this. The S4 is no slouch at all, but Jesus Christ.

nib95

Banned
Voice memo is not voice commands. I guess you can call it the same thing, but the functionality is entirely different.

Exactly, because the iPhone never even had it at the time Android did. Voice memo was the closest it got. Same as notifications and a whole host of other things. But similarly, Android's copied a lot too, Siri just isn't one of them.

Anyway, enough about such dumb, trivial and nonsense points of complaint.

better build?

Samsung phones have always performed remarkably well in drop tests. i can't say the same for HTC...

or maybe you mean better LOOKING build...

Or better feeling build. 4S feels like it's made by Bang & Olufsen, but drop it and you're fucked.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm sure this has been brought up, so I apologize in advance, but... why no full 720p display with softkeys rather than hardware keys? One thing I love about my Nexus is how, when watching widescreen videos on it, the softkeys disappear to let me utilize the full 720p 16:9 display area. With what Samsung has gone with here, you're forever stuck with those thin black bars and slightly downscaled HD video.

Also, their TouchWiz GUI looks pretty bad compared to vanilla ICS. But no surprises there, I guess.

Other than that the phone looks pretty sweet, but it won't be the one to make me feel the need to upgrade from my Nexus.

Has it been confirmed yet that the hspa+ version in the USA that is coming first is not getting qualcommed? There would be no reason to seeing as how the GS2 exynos handles it fine.

The latest qualcom in the one x is really good, so its not to big of an issue but I am curious.

Jeff-DSA

Are you sure there wasn't a fuss, or do you simply not remember one?

I don't care if there was one. It's you who is claiming that Samsung is out to steal Apple's ideas. They weren't Apple's ideas. Let it drop.

I'm done with this stupid line of discussion. It's obvious that Apple didn't have it first. Stop moving the goal posts. We've gone from "lol, copied Siri in everything" to "lol, copied Siri icon" to "lol, copied icon animation" to "lol, copied purple" as we've tumbled more and more down the hole of pettiness. I don't want this to keep going to the point where it's about number of pixels in the height of the icon.

pxleyes

Banned
Or better feeling build. 4S feels like it's made by Bang & Olufsen, but drop it and you're fucked.

This is why matte plastics or acid bath aluminum > *. The plastic on the back of the Wildfire S is even nicer to the touch than most other plastics I've run into on phones. Maybe it is just HTC, but their plastics are really nice.

nib95

Banned
I don't care if there was one. It's you who is claiming that Samsung is out to steal Apple's ideas. They weren't Apple's ideas. Let it drop.

I'm done with this stupid line of discussion. It's obvious that Apple didn't have it first. Stop moving the goal posts. We've gone from "lol, copied Siri in everything" to "lol, copied Siri icon" to "lol, copied icon animation" to "lol, copied purple" as we've tumbled more and more down the hole of pettiness. I don't want this to keep going to the point where it's about number of pixels in the height of the icon.

Fucking made me LOL hard. Didn't even realise it but damn you're right lol.

Anyway, any more comparisons with the One X?

This is why matte plastics or acid bath aluminum > *. The plastic on the back of the Wildfire S is even nicer to the touch than most other plastics I've run into on phones. Maybe it is just HTC, but their plastics are really nice.

I agree. It's because they're matt, rubberised or slightly textured. S2 has a very slight pattern, but is still glossy as is the S1. This just doesn't feel as nice on palms and can make them get hot or sweaty under heavy use. Samsung should have gone for textured or matt instead imo. Or metal plated or something.

pxleyes

Banned
I don't even mind the defense of design theft. It's the denial of design theft that baffles me.

Most folks assume design is inevitable. It is why when a true innovation occurs, most people just go 'of course it is that way, why wouldn't it be?'. As Ives said in Objectified, good design is unseen.

I still hold on all points minus the icon, which is clearly in common use. I was mistaken on that point. The screenshots still speak for themselves. Samsung lifted the Siri design scheme from top to bottom, making really minor tweaks. Sorry you don't see it, but I'm not changing my opinion.

rozay

Banned
Has it been confirmed yet that the hspa+ version in the USA that is coming first is not getting qualcommed? There would be no reason to seeing as how the GS2 exynos handles it fine.

The latest qualcom in the one x is really good, so its not to big of an issue but I am curious.
at&t's version will be LTE so Qualcomm there, and the international model doesn't support 1700 for whatever reason so t-mobile's version will almost certainly have a different radio and possibly Qualcomm chips as a result.

Cipherr

Stop moving the goal posts. We've gone from "lol, copied Siri in everything" to "lol, copied Siri icon" to "lol, copied icon animation" to "lol, copied purple" as we've tumbled more and more down the hole of pettiness.

V0IJL.gif

I think, if I understand correctly, the LTE radio used in the US is not yet compatible with the quad core processor so the S4 dual core would have to used here.

Yep, noone but TMobile is going to launch a flagship phone without an LTE radio now. So noone will even see the chipset that hits those benchmarks unless they are not in the US, or perhaps if they are on TMobile. I swear to god if TMobile gets the best S3....

Jeff-DSA

And I don't want anybody to think that I don't like pxleyes, he's one of my favorite dudes in the NCAA football threads during the season. For some reason we're just butting heads on this one. And yeah, I'm being a little defensive here over stuff I usually overlook.

I think with the phones getting so crazy on these benchmark scores that I may not upgrade this year. My GSII is still solid, and waiting another year has my head swimming at what the jump up will be in regards to tech.

pxleyes

Banned
And I don't want anybody to think that I don't like pxleyes, he's one of my favorite dudes in the NCAA football threads during the season. For some reason we're just butting heads on this one. And yeah, I'm being a little defensive here over stuff I usually overlook.

I think with the phones getting so crazy on these benchmark scores that I may not upgrade this year. My GSII is still solid, and waiting another year has my head swimming at what the jump up will be in regards to tech.

You mean we can have a healthy discussion on GAF without going at each other's throats? *high five*

Cipherr

I think Im going to buy again next year. I have a contract I can sign for this year, but yeah you are right. I think we are on the verge of a major performance increase with the next gen of devices next year. I don't reckon Ill be able to pass come this time in 2013. Ill just buy unsubsidized.

gogogow

Did you notice that the entire screen of the SGS3 has a purple tint in the screenshot you posted? The colours of the screen is way off. It's the videocamera that causes that. The colour of the voice visualizer is blue.

sgs3voice2nu18.jpg

pxleyes

Banned
I agree. It's because they're matt, rubberised or slightly textured. S2 has a very slight pattern, but is still glossy as is the S1. This just doesn't feel as nice on palms and can make them get hot or sweaty under heavy use. Samsung should have gone for textured or matt instead imo. Or metal plated or something.

Only issue with rubberized plastics is that when they scratch, you have a more distinct gash that can sometimes spread out slightly after a while. It happened to certain edges of my N1 after only a year.

Top Bottom