• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Blackhead

Redarse
And I don't want anybody to think that I don't like pxleyes, he's one of my favorite dudes in the NCAA football threads during the season. For some reason we're just butting heads on this one. And yeah, I'm being a little defensive here over stuff I usually overlook.

I think with the phones getting so crazy on these benchmark scores that I may not upgrade this year. My GSII is still solid, and waiting another year has my head swimming at what the jump up will be in regards to tech.

join me in the owning the best galaxy. Super Amoled Plus HD, you know you want it ;)

nib95

Banned
join me in the owning the best galaxy. Super Amoled Plus HD, you know you want it ;)

What the hell, is that aluminium or steel on the back? Why couldn't they just copy that design for the S3 rear...

gsmarena_002.jpg

Zaptruder

Banned
Most folks assume design is inevitable. It is why when a true innovation occurs, most people just go 'of course it is that way, why wouldn't it be?'. As Ives said in Objectified, good design is unseen.

I still hold on all points minus the icon, which is clearly in common use. I was mistaken on that point. The screenshots still speak for themselves. Samsung lifted the Siri design scheme from top to bottom, making really minor tweaks. Sorry you don't see it, but I'm not changing my opinion.

Yeah, I can see the resemblance to Siri.

But what are you going to do about it, other than bitch like a petulant red headed step child?

In this game, people lift innovations from one another, even while sending their lawyers after one another.

World keeps spinning. Who gives a shit, except really petulant butt-hurt team supporting type.

Is the amount of detail lifted a little unnecessary? Sure. But if Apple comes out with a 4" iPhone screen, can we say that they riffed off the larger screens popularized by the Galaxy line?

pxleyes

Banned

But what are you going to do about it, other than bitch like a petulant red headed step child?

In this game, people lift innovations from one another, even while sending their lawyers after one another.

World keeps spinning. Who gives a shit, except really petulant butt-hurt team supporting type.

Is the amount of detail lifted a little unnecessary? Sure. But if Apple comes out with a 4" iPhone screen, can we say that they riffed off the larger screens popularized by the Galaxy line?

You're probably right. All this from a few critiques of the S3, including some pretty valid ones like PenTile and the questionable TouchWiz.

Its going to be hard holding off buying this but I'm going to wait and see what the iPhone 5 is like before jumping in this time around.

I'm sure this has been brought up, so I apologize in advance, but... why no full 720p display with softkeys rather than hardware keys? One thing I love about my Nexus is how, when watching widescreen videos on it, the softkeys disappear to let me utilize the full 720p 16:9 display area. With what Samsung has gone with here, you're forever stuck with those thin black bars and slightly downscaled HD video.

Also, their TouchWiz GUI looks pretty bad compared to vanilla ICS. But no surprises there, I guess.

Other than that the phone looks pretty sweet, but it won't be the one to make me feel the need to upgrade from my Nexus.

you've got it wrong... this has a full 720p 16:9 display area so videos will show the same as a GNX. however, other things like web browsers and twitter will have MORE vertical space on this compared to a GNX because 96px on that device is taken up by software buttons

Its going to be hard holding off buying this but I'm going to wait and see what the iPhone 5 is like before jumping in this time around.

if you're going to wait that long, you might as well wait for the Google Samsung Nexus Trinity this fall with octocore A15 and 1080p SUPER TRUE HD AMOLED PLUS and a quad core Mali T604

aznpxdd

Well, kinda disappointed. Doesn't seem like any of the phones this generation is a worthy upgrade from the S2 (outside of the screen). Boo.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Saw this for the first time. The specs doesn't really excite me much since I am not a power user.

But damn. That is an ugly phone. I think the metal trimmings should go.

Zaptruder

Banned
Well, kinda disappointed. Doesn't seem like any of the phones this generation is a worthy upgrade from the S2 (outside of the screen). Boo.

Don't most people only upgrade once every 2 years anyway? This is a decent jump from the S2, but a massive summersault over the SGS1.

But even those upgrading from the S2 should be pleased by what should promise to be a considerably smoother UI.

One of the most common complaints from iPhone users playing with my Galaxy phones was 'lagginess' - the slight lag from touching, pinching, zooming etc.

With a faster GPU, CPU and better OS, the visual performance should be on par with the iPhone, which will make the phone experience, even if not the stat line (which really - is the only thing that matters past the purchase), top notch.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Samsung do with the next Note, but I suspect I won't be upgrading it until we hit the Note 3 as well.

Plenty of people dislike PenTile displays. It may be personal preference, but I hate the look they give.

Have you used a high res pentile display much?

pxleyes

Banned
Have you used a high res pentile display much?

Certainly not as a daily phone. I've used one for some testing, as my company ships phones around to folks to do mobile testing on various platforms.

I guess I could include my N1, but I'm not sure that qualifies as high rez anymore.

Circle T

Yep, noone but TMobile is going to launch a flagship phone without an LTE radio now. So noone will even see the chipset that hits those benchmarks unless they are not in the US, or perhaps if they are on TMobile. I swear to god if TMobile gets the best S3....

They won't. Assuming this is like the GSII versions, just like the lacking LTE, the Exynos doesn't support T-Mo's 42mbps HSPA+ either. So, all of the US carriers are now using networks that aren't compatible with Samsung chipsets. It's pretty much a lock that, like the original Galaxy S versions, all 4 of them will have matching chipsets, just Qualcomm this time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
you've got it wrong... this has a full 720p 16:9 display area so videos will show the same as a GNX. however, other things like web browsers and twitter will have MORE vertical space on this compared to a GNX because 96px on that device is taken up by software buttons

Oh, sorry, though the OP was up to date with the specs (it says 1184 x 720). Well, ok, that's good then! But what about games and apps that expect the usual 15:9 aspect ratio? Will those get black bars on the top and bottom instead?

Zaptruder

Banned
Certainly not as a daily phone. I've used one for some testing, as my company ships phones around to folks to do mobile testing on various platforms.

I guess I could include my N1, but I'm not sure that qualifies as high rez anymore.

Fair enough. I just feel it's one of those overblown criticisms that get turned into a meme that get repeated continuously, irrespective of the degree of personal experience involved in the issue.

I can see the difference between RGB and a pentile display - but at the 'retina' resolution range, it's such a non-factor as to simply be something that marks a person as one that criticizes elements because its different, and a person that critiques things based on its efficacy.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Anandtech just confirmed an RGB notification light at the top of the phone

Geez. Why you gotta make it hard for me Samsung?

And I think we can stop with the "QUALCOMM'd" talk. It's a pretty amazing chip. Back in the S3 era there may have been a point, but not with that S4.

Circle T

Geez. Why you gotta make it hard for me Samsung?

And I think we can stop with the "QUALCOMM'd" talk. It's a pretty amazing chip. Back in the S3 era there may have been a point, but not with that S4.

Yup. The AnandTech benchmarks pretty much confirm that the GSIII is a beast, but the S4 really is no slouch. Like I've mini-ranted about before, we're at a time now where we're nitpicking between really fast SoCs, and really REALLY fast SoCs. Both will make for fantastic daily drivers.

Sealda

Banned

I cannot believe this news. The iPhone 5 to the rescue please...

This just made me puke and Samsung is right now taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

Knowing its a korean company, its quite sad knowing how there were probably people working twice as hard and long for the S3 compared to the the iPhone 4.

This is seriously, the best they could do for the successor to the success that is the S2. For once, Samsung had even NORMAL newspapers caring and this is what they came up with...

It just blows my mind, how this is what they brought....

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I do not like hardware buttons. I wanted on screen buttons. It's not very forward looking or progressive to use hardware buttons. I don't care if it's more screen space.

The phone is still good. What happened with the ceramic or stylus rumors? I was looking forward to that.

Many know I have an LTE Galaxy Nexus now. I'm moving to Europe in two months. I was leaning toward the S3 for my Europe phone but I don't know... Maybe I'll just grab an unlocked pentaband GSM Galaxy Nexus.

Better performance is meaningless. Where will you even see the benefit? Barely ever. And I like Vanilla ICS, though Samsung has added some pretty cool things. Not a fan of their iOS styling.

tino

Banned

No kidding, Samsung has gone from blatantly copy Apple on buttons, icons, packaging, launcher, etc etc to only slightly copy Apple in 5-10% of the new features. What's the point of complain it now. It's like a complaint that come 2 year too late.

rozay

Banned

it's nowhere near as bad as the N1-I own one and anywhere close to my face I can see the orange dots on the side of text. The pixel density is so great on these 720p screens that, as I said earlier, black text on a white background is actually sharper on the galaxy nexus than the galaxy S2's non-pentile 800x480 display.

Cipherr

The GSIII didn't retroactively make the One X any less smooth or responsive though. We're reaching diminishing returns on what these benchmarks actually mean.

Yeah there definitely was a time when it mattered alot for fluidity and the like. But among flagships, those days are clearly gone for Android. Can't say Im upset about that at all. Im pretty much thinking Ill go with the EvoLTE, but only because of a Pentile vs LCD2 which is a hilariously minor difference. But when its so close between the two, Im fine making a decision based on something so miniscule.

I cannot believe this news. The iPhone 5 to the rescue please...

This just made me puke and Samsung is right now taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

Knowing its a korean company, its quite sad knowing how there were probably people working twice as hard and long for the S3 compared to the the iPhone 4.

This is seriously, the best they could do for the successor to the success that is the S2. For once, Samsung had even NORMAL newspapers caring and this is what they came up with...

It just blows my mind, how this is what they brought....

The iPhone 5 was released on October 14, 2011.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Pentile bugs me because white isn't white. It's a greyish, greenish tint.

Circle T

GSIII's abound in a couple months....

TheVerge said:
Samsung Galaxy S III coming to all four US national carriers, MetroPCS, US Cellular, and more?

Samsung's official US signup page for information on the Galaxy S III has a "carrier preference" list that may be tipping the company's hand: Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, MetroPCS, US Cellular, and C Spire are all listed.
It's possible that this is nothing more than a scattershot list of random American carriers, but we'd doubt it — Cricket (and several others larger than C Spire) are notably absent, and Samsung has shown a penchant for bringing its Galaxy S series devices to as many carriers as possible. We've already heard from a reliable source that we'll be seeing it on Sprint; Verizon skipped the S II, but without a new Nexus phone exclusive on the immediate horizon, it seems far more likely that they'll be trained on the S III.

Samsung has said that the phone will be launching in the US next month, so we'll have an opportunity to verify this list in just a few weeks' time.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/3/29...int-t-mobile-verizon-att-metropcs-us-cellular

Samsung Signup Page
http://www.samsung.com/us/register/the-next-galaxy-smartphone/

rozay

Banned
Finally getting to look at these pictures on an actual computer.

I really appreciate the effort to not just make the typical black slab of a phone, but something about the material and color choice in these pictures looks incredibly cheap to me. Not sure why their designers decided this would be best for a flagship rather than a more midrange phone.

Of course, I'll wait to see one in person because it could just be the lighting.

Husker86

what do you need more than 1gb or ram on a phone for other than dickwaving at this point? Nothing on 4.0 will crash due to a lack of ram.
The stock launcher on my Gnex reloads quite often :(
No idea why they don't force that to stay in memory.

Bboy AJ

The stock launcher on my Gnex reloads quite often :(
No idea why they don't force that to stay in memory.

Yep. It may be a software optimization problem but it's still a problem. I could live with never having to reload anything.

Fezan

the phone looks ugly!
can someone tell me how will the screen compare to new xperia S1.the screen on that thing is gorgeous.
those phone also look much better looks wise

Zaptruder

Banned
Finally getting to look at these pictures on an actual computer.

I really appreciate the effort to not just make the typical black slab of a phone, but something about the material and color choice in these pictures looks incredibly cheap to me. Not sure why their designers decided this would be best for a flagship rather than a more midrange phone.

Of course, I'll wait to see one in person because it could just be the lighting.

The physical form factor of the new Sony Xperia's kick the crap out of the look of the new SGS3s.

Personally, I think a logitech styled phone would probably look pretty damn swish.

Top Bottom