• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Circle T

It's going to be called "the new iPhone" anyways.

Which makes sense, because iPhone 6 just sounds silly. Just make it like all of their other hardware, where they are just "The New {blank}" when released, and then referred to by their timeframe/year for those who care (Late 2011 iMac, Early 2010 MBP, etc). It will just be "The New iPhone" by name, and people will just refer to it as the 2012 iPhone when differentiating.

Not sure what you're saying here but anyway no I'm pretty sure it was the 4S. The next will be the iPhone 5 or the "new iPhone".

But, it isn't the 5th iPhone, so why would they do that? In recent years, the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 were the only products that actually had a sequence number in their name. Going by the iPad's new, simpler name, it would stand to reason that the iPhone will follow suit.

snoopen

Still with my trusty 3GS.

Man phone technology is moving ahead way too fast. Like seriously... No idea when I should upgrade as the next thing is only a few months away.

It is interesting to see how shit these threads are too, phone wars - the new console wars.

But, it isn't the 5th iPhone, so why would they do that?
Cause no one refers to it as the iPhone 6 and no one cares whether it's the 5th or 20th iPhone, it doesn't mean anything. Either way they'll most likely call it the new iPhone and be done with it.

Anyway still hoping someone wants to explain Pentile to me :p I'm confused from my googling.

Cipherr

Really dude? lol

As someone who hasn't (knowingly at least) used a Pentile screen, can anyone go over what the benefits/drawbacks are? I'm curious why so many people seem to hate it.

Think of it as someone hating analog sticks because their initial introduction to it was a N64...... and the only games they owned were various Mario Party titles.

So after the hole in their palms has healed and they have a scab the size of a quarter on both hands, someone comes along and says "Hey I have this dual shock man, its got 2 analog sticks".

Just based on reflex they flip the fuck out and call it an abomination, but the reality is, its much better now. Trying to convince them of this however is nigh impossible because of first impressions and whatnot.

Pentile is shit on low res screens with low PPI. On high resolution screens with great PPI, its main detriment is the less than stellar white levels, but its nowhere near as bad as the early pentile screens.

railGUN

Banned
Which makes sense, because iPhone 6 just sounds silly. Just make it like all of their other hardware, where they are just "The New {blank}" when released, and then referred to by their timeframe/year for those who care (Late 2011 iMac, Early 2010 MBP, etc). It will just be "The New iPhone" by name, and people will just refer to it as the 2012 iPhone when differentiating.

But, it isn't the 5th iPhone, so why would they do that? In recent years, the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 were the only products that actually had a sequence number in their name. Going by the iPad's new, simpler name, it would stand to reason that the iPhone will follow suit.

Probably will be just "the new iPhone" but I think the numerical value represents the generation.

Never got why people get so spergy about the whole iPhone 5 thing.

Yeah, it wouldn't technically be the 5th iPhone but jumping from iPhone 4S to iPhone 6 would be odd. If they were going to keep numbering them it would probably be called iPhone 5.

Cipherr

Man phone technology is moving ahead way too fast. Like seriously... No idea when I should upgrade as the next thing is only a few months away.

It is interesting to see how shit these threads are too, phone wars - the new console wars.

Every 5 or 6 months with these phones now, there is no escape if you like having a top of the line device. Between PC upgrades and Phones its starting to get a bit tight. I have reasonable disposable income, but goddamn.

Circle T

Cause no one refers to it as the iPhone 6 and no one cares whether it's the 5th or 20th iPhone, it doesn't mean anything. Either way they'll most likely call it the new iPhone and be done with it.

Just saying. Apple likes to do things a bit against the norm, and all that, but forgetting how to count isn't one of them.

kinggroin

Banned
I do not like hardware buttons. I wanted on screen buttons. It's not very forward looking or progressive to use hardware buttons. I don't care if it's more screen space.

The phone is still good. What happened with the ceramic or stylus rumors? I was looking forward to that.

Many know I have an LTE Galaxy Nexus now. I'm moving to Europe in two months. I was leaning toward the S3 for my Europe phone but I don't know... Maybe I'll just grab an unlocked pentaband GSM Galaxy Nexus.

Better performance is meaningless. Where will you even see the benefit? Barely ever. And I like Vanilla ICS, though Samsung has added some pretty cool things. Not a fan of their iOS styling.

All this presentation did, was make me want a GSM GN. Not sure what all this crazy hardware is going to do for me at this point. Virtually nothing to leverage it outside of true multitasking. I just want my phone, with better battery life and continued support from Google. Onward to Jellybean!

Never got why people get so spergy about the whole iPhone 5 thing.

Yeah, it wouldn't technically be the 5th iPhone but jumping from iPhone 4S to iPhone 6 would be odd. If they were going to keep numbering them it would probably be called iPhone 5.

there's no reason for them to call it iPhone 5 over iPhone 6... or iPhone 4G... or The new iPhone

PG2G

Every time I see those press pics of the SGSIII with the dandelion wallpaper it looks like a cracked screen to me. Am I tripping?

Just saying. Apple likes to do things a bit against the norm, and all that, but forgetting how to count isn't one of them.
I really don't think having a 'correct' name is more important to Apple than making more money. Anyway this is getting pretty off-topic I apologize :p

the best time to upgrade would be when the 28nm quad core A15 devices hit

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The more I look at it, the more I kinda like it. It has an "organic" look to it. Sorta like the pancreas or liver of mobile phones

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The more I look at it, the more I kinda like it. It has an "organic" look to it. Sorta like the pancreas or liver of mobile phones
Same here. I don't know what I like about it though. Maybe it's the simplicity of the design?

Circle T

I don't really like the look of the Blue one so far in the pictures I've seen, but maybe it's better in person. The texture/pattern of the finish just seems odd to me. The white though... I'm a straight-up sucker for a white phone, and the white GSIII looks great.

left: way too big
right: htc one x

msPrLl.jpg

Fuck me, why is every goddamn phone approaching tablet size. Why the fuck is it so big, jeez.

Cheebo

Banned
Except most likely they will just call it iPhone and get rid of any naming conventions ala iPad. That's what macrumors is hearing anyway.

Zaptruder

Banned
Fuck me, why is every goddamn phone approaching tablet size. Why the fuck is it so big, jeez.

Because the computing power of phones is pushing against the boundaries of human limitations.

That is - phones are getting so powerful, and have so many pixels crammed in that our human eyes can't even discern a difference, that the only way to exploit that power is to increase the size of the phones.

Of course we only wear pants with pockets that are so large... but 5" is around the border of usability - as established by wallets that have been used without complaint for generations and generations.

Personally, I'm curious to see what Apple does from here hardware wise. The iPhone4S is already at that boundary of responsiveness and resolution for its form factor. Will they keep that form factor? Expand the number of pixels on screen? Eschew development in those areas? Create a portable docking station that turns phone into mini PC?

tigerin

Because the computing power of phones is pushing against the boundaries of human limitations.

That is - phones are getting so powerful, and have so many pixels crammed in that our human eyes can't even discern a difference, that the only way to exploit that power is to increase the size of the phones.

Of course we only wear pants with pockets that are so large... but 5" is around the border of usability - as established by wallets that have been used without complaint for generations and generations.

Personally, I'm curious to see what Apple does from here hardware wise. The iPhone4S is already at that boundary of responsiveness and resolution for its form factor. Will they keep that form factor? Expand the number of pixels on screen? Eschew development in those areas? Create a portable docking station that turns phone into mini PC?

better facetime quality, better apps, better commnication, longer battery, make the iphone more comfortable when holding, more resistant to breaking, more simple etc etc.

gcubed

you must have the patience of a saint if you still use a 3GS

Gattsu25

Banned
So...I have an iPhone 4 but am planning on breaking away from that infastructure. This looks like a fairly decent phone...and it seems like the HTC One X is the main competitor to this...

Is there another phone out (or about to drop) that I should look out for? Does this phone seem like it would make a good "my first android"?

Gattsu25

Banned
Id rather carry a big phone than a small phone and a tablet.
I'd rather carry a big phone with 32GB on board memory with a 64GB MicroSD card

I'm one of those weird people that are able to fit my Kindle in my pocket, so I *know* I could fit a larger phone than what I currently have...I wear things called "non-hipster jeans".

Circle T

Except most likely they will just call it iPhone and get rid of any naming conventions ala iPad. That's what macrumors is hearing anyway.

You mean like I suggested 20 posts earlier? ;P

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How to people put up with Pentile? I thought they looked horrendous when they first started appearing in phones, and most recently I saw the HTC One S, which a friend bought, and it still annoyed the hell out of me. Text in particular looks awful.

Id rather carry a big phone than a small phone and a tablet.

i'd rather carry a big phone and a netbook/laptop.

I'd rather carry a big phone with 32GB on board memory with a 64GB MicroSD card

I'm one of those weird people that are able to fit my Kindle in my pocket, so I *know* I could fit a larger phone than what I currently have...I wear things called "non-hipster jeans".

also known as "jeans".

Nakazato

Phone looks good. I got 100 dollars in best buy Gift cards due to the phone freedom event I hope Apple will show the new iphone soon as well so when i walk in to BB i can play with both and make a choice. But Im really like this phone lol might already be sold on it huge upgrade from my Captivate

Circle T

How to people put up with Pentile? I thought they looked horrendous when they first started appearing in phones, and most recently I saw the HTC One S, which a friend bought, and it still annoyed the hell out of me. Text in particular looks awful.

I use a Skyrocket currently for my work phone (SAMOLED+), and switch between my Note and Galaxy Nexus for personal use (both Pentile). In day-to-day usage, I never notice it. I mean, yea, if I really look for the faults, they are there. I just don't care about them. I would much rather have the higher resolution of those devices over the WVGA display in my Skyrocket.

Hopefully getting my new work One X tomorrow (fingers crossed), so I'm anxious to use that for some actual use. The screen, just in my limited time with it so far, is exceptional. I have a real soft-spot for OLED blacks, color saturation, and quick response times, but the screen in the One X is just so crisp and clear, the trade-off is welcome.

bedlamite

That bluish brushed-metal color option is tacky beyond belief. Perhaps Samsung should parlay some of those R&D funds into a design department that isn't completely hopeless. The One X and Xperia S phones look so much better. Also, fuck these giant screens. Fuck'em.

rozay

Banned
Phone looks good. I got 100 dollars in best buy Gift cards due to the phone freedom event I hope Apple will show the new iphone soon as well so when i walk in to BB i can play with both and make a choice. But Im really like this phone lol might already be sold on it huge upgrade from my Captivate
you'll be waiting until september or october for the iPhone.

Gattsu25

Banned
also known as "jeans".
That, too.

I'll never understand the people that say that a 5 inch phone would be too large for their jeans. What the fuck kind of jeans are they wearing, anyway?

Anyway, repeating my question...looking to get a new Android phone this year and I am currently leaning toward waiting for this one... good plan or is there a better phone?

tino

Banned
I just got back from work.

A few comments after the reveal of the Galaxy S3.

* Samsung has learn a lot from the master, Apple.

Very decent job with the reveal event, advertisement and overall "premium image". Also alot of useful software addons that actually make your smartphone easier to use.

* In retrospect, HTC has done very well with the One X. It now stand out as the phone with the best screen and superior exterior hardware design. I think alot of casual users who don't care about power user features will pick it.

* Nowadays, the war is win and lost with a single hero phone.

Samsung got this in this post-iPhone world, and HTC has finally caught on as well. You have to throw every weapon you have into a single halo phone, push it on the stage to do battle for you. Secondary models don't matter, people and journalists will only focus on your hero phone.

Poor LG, they still have no fucking clue. Watch their market share crumble more this year. Sony is again, complete missed where the spot light is. They are still on euro-central smaller "cultured" models that can't generate any buzz. They didn't even plan a larger than 4.3" "Super phone" back in CES, now they are scrambling for a large quadcore phone.

I don't know what Motorola will do, but I bet they have to sleep with a lot of Verizon suits to prevent Vzn from taking the SIII.

Emily Chu

Banned
Better performance is meaningless. Where will you even see the benefit? Barely ever. And I like Vanilla ICS, though Samsung has added some pretty cool things. Not a fan of their iOS styling.

To be honest I have the same phone under clocked to 350mhz and as long as GAF loads and scrolls fast and smooth I don't care.

Think of it as someone hating analog sticks because their initial introduction to it was a N64...... and the only games they owned were various Mario Party titles.

So after the hole in their palms has healed and they have a scab the size of a quarter on both hands, someone comes along and says "Hey I have this dual shock man, its got 2 analog sticks".

Just based on reflex they flip the fuck out and call it an abomination, but the reality is, its much better now. Trying to convince them of this however is nigh impossible because of first impressions and whatnot.

Pentile is shit on low res screens with low PPI. On high resolution screens with great PPI, its main detriment is the less than stellar white levels, but its nowhere near as bad as the early pentile screens.
thanks, that makes sense. I suppose I'll have to try one out. What are the benefits of Pentile? Less battery intensive?

Biff

* Nowadays, the war are win and lost with a single hero phone.

Samsung understood this in the post-iPhone world, and HTC has finally gotten it as well. You have to throw every weapon you have into a single halo phone, push it on the stage to do battle for you. Secondary models don't matter, people and journalists will only focus on your hero phone.

Hm. This is a really salient point I hadn't heard/thought of yet... Or at least phrased in that way. I like it.

Toki767

That, too.

I'll never understand the people that say that a 5 inch phone would be too large for their jeans. What the fuck kind of jeans are they wearing, anyway?

Anyway, repeating my question...looking to get a new Android phone this year and I am currently leaning toward waiting for this one... good plan or is there a better phone?

I'd imagine they wear those tight jeans with tight pockets.

When you say this year, do you mean in a couple months or do you mean by fall/winter?

Cipherr

I'd imagine they wear those tight jeans with tight pockets.

When you say this year, do you mean in a couple months or do you mean by fall/winter?

We dont know anything about any Android phones coming this fall/winter so I dont know what you plan to recommend to him around that time. Noone has said anything about their phones for Q4, Nexus included.

That, too.

In any case, yes this is one of the best if not the best. Its either this or the HTC OneX. They are both so close in features and whatnot that you really cant lose. But if you want to choose the one that 'checks more boxes' then this phone here would be the winner.

giga

That, too.

Ah8Ff.jpg

And it's not about just fitting it in your pocket. It's comfort. Smaller objects don't stick to my leg and give my legs breathing room, even if I'm sitting. It's the same reason I carry a really thin wallet and only 2 keys on my keychain.

Toki767

Start of next month at the earliest. Late fall at the absolute latest.

This or the One X. Can't go wrong with either really. If you're in the US, they'll be using the same CPU so the things that really separate the two are the non-pentile Super LCD2 screen of the One X and the bigger removable battery/microSD card slot of the Galaxy S III.

Choose which one you'd rather have. I really don't think you can go wrong with either phone though.

We dont know anything about any Android phones coming this fall/winter so I dont know what you plan to recommend to him around that time. Noone has said anything about their phones for Q4, Nexus included.

My point in asking was more that if he isn't going to be getting a phone till then, there's no use in looking right now. There will obviously be better phones by then.

Top Bottom