• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Cipherr

Unlike today's other phone announcement, we can't say we were expecting to see LG come out with something of its own -- and it's a bit of a doozy, at that. Samsung's Korean rival decided not to let the Galaxy S III have the full spotlight for long, officially unleashing the Optimus LTE2. The mind-blowing portion of the spec sheet is its inclusion of 2GB RAM, a milestone we haven't yet seen in a smartphone. Additionally, the LTE2 will feature the company's "True HD IPS" display, WPC-backed wireless charging capabilities, Android 4.0 and a 2,150mAh battery that LG claims will increase the battery life by an astounding 40 percent.

Trollololol

thanks, that makes sense. I suppose I'll have to try one out. What are the benefits of Pentile? Less battery intensive?
the benefit is 2 elements instead of 3, which is a 50% space savings and means a much higher yield of usable panels. the only reason they use a pentile arrangement is they just can't reliably mass produce an RGB stripe AMOLED at that size with that resolution at this point in time.

That, too.

I'll never understand the people that say that a 5 inch phone would be too large for their jeans. What the fuck kind of jeans are they wearing, anyway?

Anyway, repeating my question...looking to get a new Android phone this year and I am currently leaning toward waiting for this one... good plan or is there a better phone?

better phone? not until *maybe* winter... well, unless TI has some secret superchip ready for summer.

Trollololol

2150mAh! 50mAh more than GSIII!!! NEW BATTERY KING!!!

Would this be a worthy upgrade from the T-Mobile G2?

even a Galaxy S II would be a worthy upgrade from a G2.

nib95

Banned
WTF at that LG phone. Holy crap speczilla. Pics and details of the device? Does it have it's own thread? And LG....LG....I've never really liked LG handsets :S

Cipherr

WTF at that LG phone. Holy crap speczilla. Pics and details of the device? Does it have it's own thread? And LG....LG....I've never really liked LG handsets :S

Thing is a brick, literally. Just a sharp edged rectangle.

7140274243ca042db509z.jpg

Still wild though, lol 2GB of ram.

tino

Banned

Well there isn't big enough aftermarket rom support. I don't consider them. But I understand they are alot cheaper than comparable Samsung models in Asia.

Davidion

If it means anything, I have a G2 and plan on jumping ship to the SIII from what I've seen.

The G2 has served me well, but honestly outside of the Nexus and maybe the maxx this phone seems to be the obvious best choice. I'm open to switching OSs, but right now doesn't feel like a good time for ios/wp7 jump.

Edit: just read up on that LG Optimus LTE...where the fuck did that come from?

One positive thing (which it blows my mind no other OEM has done) is add the option to display battery percentage alongside the battery indicator in the notification bar.
that blows my mind too.

between that and the scrollable list of quick toggles in the notification bar:

CUSTOM ROMS PUT ON NOTICE!

With Francois' help, I ran voodoo report on the SGS3 and we've obtained a lot of information, including the rear camera CMOS, which is an as of yet unannounced S5C73M3 8 MP BSI sensor. Without getting more information, I can't tell you pixel pitch or optical format, but it's clearly a latest and greatest CMOS that Samsung hasn't even made directly public yet.
damn Samsung with the same 8MP came... oh wait...

Pein

Banned
seriously underwhelmed. At least my GS2 doesn't seem like an outdated pos.

Also told my sister to get a one x, she was waiting to see what the GS3 was like and she likes the one x styling better.

Avixph

If it means anything, I have a G2 and plan on jumping ship to the SIII from what I've seen.

The G2 has served me well, but honestly outside of the Nexus and maybe the maxx this phone seems to be the obvious best choice. I'm open to switching OSs, but right now doesn't feel like a good time for ios/wp7 jump.

Edit: just read up on that LG Optimus LTE...where the fuck did that come from?
Thanks.

nib95

Banned
Gonna wait to hear more on the LG LTE2 now. Get the feeling LG are gonna sink it all in this to be their saviour "Hero" phone.

rozay

Banned
I swear there was an HTC phone that used a similar type of USB connector.

edit: it was extusb on their early android phones, though that was mini usb:
extusb-blame-apple.jpg

I'd assume its for accessories..

Cipherr

Gonna wait to hear more on the LG LTE2 now. Get the feeling LG are gonna sink it all in this to be their saviour "Hero" phone.

Ahahahah nibs man you're never gonna settle on a phone. These hardware manufacturers are going to drive you insane with the next best thing being right on the horizon.

seriously underwhelmed. At least my GS2 doesn't seem like an outdated pos.

Also told my sister to get a one x, she was waiting to see what the GS3 was like and she likes the one x styling better.

This doesn't seem isolated. At least not on the websites and blogs. Loooooots of talk from people arguing which of these two are the better phone. Wonder if it will show in marketshare two quarters from now, or if Samsung will just coast on pedigree alone. HTC is much closer to the S3 than they were with their last years phones in relation to the S2.

nib95

Banned
Ahahahah nibs man you're never gonna settle on a phone. These hardware manufacturers are going to drive you insane with the next best thing being right on the horizon.

Lol I know I know but honestly now...

I'll settle for either the S3, One X or LTE2. My upgrade is due now and I've been informed I can have any free phone under the sun, so it'll definitely be one of these lol.

kehs

Banned
I swear there was an HTC phone that used a similar type of USB connector.

edit: it was extusb on their early android phones, though that was mini usb:
extusb-blame-apple.jpg

I'd assume its for accessories..

That makes sense, apparently the difference between a/b is to allow host mode, which you don't want an accessory to have.

double tap Home for S Voice? oh wow... somebody call some lawyers...

Where do you think pixeleyes has been?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

This doesn't seem isolated. At least not on the websites and blogs. Loooooots of talk from people arguing which of these two are the better phone. Wonder if it will show in marketshare two quarters from now, or if Samsung will just coast on pedigree alone. HTC is much closer to the S3 than they were with their last years phones in relation to the S2.

It just seems to me that Samsung is hoping that better specs will be enough to pull in the buyers. I don't really think that will happen though, since there really is very few apps on android that will utilize that speed (at least in the international version). And so far as usability and smoothness in general usage is concerned, most users probably will probably not find the difference too substantial between this and the One X.

Cipherr

It just seems to me that Samsung is hoping that better specs will be enough to pull in the buyers. I don't really think that will happen though, since there really is very few apps on android that will utilize that speed (at least in the international version). And so far as usability and smoothness in general usage is concerned, most users probably will probably not find the difference too substantial between this and the One X.

Im sort of excited to see how this pans out. The S2 had its remarkable performance (in comparison to the rest of the Android phones of 2011) to help it stand out, along with a screen miles ahead of the competition.

This time, those two things (A completely fluid smooth UX/UI, and a fantastic display) are not so widely in their favor. The playing field is so much more even. I really cant wait to see marketshare for this year. I dont expect anything to show in Q3, but by Q4 we should get a good look at whether the OneX vs. S3 mini war worked in Sammys favor or not.

Unless of course LG or Huwaei just swoop in and eat everyone's lunch. You never know.

C_H_T

Another deciding factor that could be, is the fact that the Galaxy S3 has a micro SD card slot, that gives you the option to extend it's storage (up to 32GB). In addition, the Galaxy S3 has the option to remove and change the battery. If the battery is faulty after a year or so, you can easily change the battery or you just want a bigger sized battery, it atleast give you the option.

I have to correct myself, the Galaxy S3 does support up to 64 GB micro SD cards.
So, it actually supports SDXC (up to 64GB), because SDHC only supports cards with capacities up to 32 GB.

Samsung's press release:
Memory 16/ 32GB User memory (64GB available soon) + microSD slot (up to 64GB)
http://www.samsungmobilepress.com/2012/05/03/Samsung-Introduces-the-GALAXY-S-III,-the-Smartphone--Designed-for-Humans-and-Inspired-by-Nature

The Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) format, defined in Version 2.0 of the SD specification, supports cards with capacities up to 32 GB
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Types_of_cards

cheers,

That said, I think HTC has clearly won the industrial design and in-hand feel category this time around. The obvious comparison point is the HTC One X (Tegra 3). When I compare the two side by side, the differentiation really comes down to display, and camera. The One X LCD is beautiful, and the One X/S camera is a very good performer. Subjective UI snappiness between the two are actually very close even though the SGS3's Exynos 4 Quad clearly holds an advantage over Tegra 3, but it ends up being accessories rather than core which will define the better device.

i'm getting one x.

aznpxdd

So, is this the phone to get if I'm not going for iPhone?

This or the One X I guess.

One X looks sexier IMO, but comes with a price of none removable battery and no SD card slot, so depends how important those features are to you. Of course, there's the difference in screen tech, but honestly, I don't think the average consumer cares or would notice. Outside of that, its pretty much a wash, since both are great performers and I doubt any apps in the near future would make them sweat. I guess Galaxy Nexus is worth considering too, since Google recently dropped its price.

sun-drop

i wish they would do those browser tests using chrome .. accross all devices.

the sammy browser is prob the best out there of the built in ones ..but i can't do without my chrome tab sync these days...

sun-drop

man i cant decide if i want the white or blue :/

the one x is a great shape ..but even the white on that phone is overly shiny/plastic looking .... this is where the textured back of the s2 was so good

effzee

It is time to upgrade from the Vibrant (Galaxy I).

BTW I am not too educated on the tech and the differences between European and US releases so am I correct in assuming the US version won't be quad-core?

sun-drop

kinda sucks there isnt a black one...

one of my fav things about the s2 is how the amoled screen just blurs into the phone structure when off ... u can't tell what is screen and what is phone ..

SimleuqiR

Unlike today's other phone announcement, we can't say we were expecting to see LG come out with something of its own -- and it's a bit of a doozy, at that. Samsung's Korean rival decided not to let the Galaxy S III have the full spotlight for long, officially unleashing the Optimus LTE2. The mind-blowing portion of the spec sheet is its inclusion of 2GB RAM, a milestone we haven't yet seen in a smartphone. Additionally, the LTE2 will feature the company's "True HD IPS" display, WPC-backed wireless charging capabilities, Android 4.0 and a 2,150mAh battery that LG claims will increase the battery life by an astounding 40 percent.
Trollololol

Specs are specs. Not that I care much for them in the end. Not doing anything too crazy with my phones (yet), but I wouldn't mind LG or Sony to do the Next Nexus.

Polari

In terms of industrial design it's pretty insipid, TouchWiz blows and I am among what seems to be an increasingly small minority that thinks 4.5+ inches is too large for a phone. Pass.

man i cant decide if i want the white or blue :/

the one x is a great shape ..but even the white on that phone is overly shiny/plastic looking .... this is where the textured back of the s2 was so good

Have you see the One X in person? I was assuming it was going to be like the lumia 900 but it's actually a matte soft to the touch feel. It looks stunning in person.

Darkkn

Functionality wise, i think TouchWiz makes Android better in almost all cases. It's just so terrible looking compared to the beautiful stock look.

White model actually does not look too bad, but the blue(it's really more black imo.) looks horrible.
I just might consider upgrading my galaxy s to this if it gets good marks on battery life and camera and also if the new software features actually work well.

tino

Banned
Functionality wise, i think TouchWiz makes Android better in almost all cases. It's just so terrible looking compared to the beautiful stock look.

White model actually does not look too bad, but the blue(it's really more black imo.) looks horrible.
I just might consider upgrading my galaxy s to this if it gets good marks on battery life and camera and also if the new software features actually work well.

The back cover is a whole piece. You can easily change it to an aftermarket back.

ebay Galaxy Note back if you want to know how many different aftermarket back cover you can choose from.

The app draw sucks arse bigtime on TW.

Top Bottom