• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

This or the One X I guess.

One X looks sexier IMO, but comes with a price of none removable battery and no SD card slot, so depends how important those features are to you. Of course, there's the difference in screen tech, but honestly, I don't think the average consumer cares or would notice. Outside of that, its pretty much a wash, since both are great performers and I doubt any apps in the near future would make them sweat. I guess Galaxy Nexus is worth considering too, since Google recently dropped its price.

Thanks. I'm tempted by the Nexus, but isn't it a bit old now? don't you think a new "Nexus" might rollout soon?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
This or the One X I guess.

One X looks sexier IMO, but comes with a price of none removable battery and no SD card slot, so depends how important those features are to you. Of course, there's the difference in screen tech, but honestly, I don't think the average consumer cares or would notice. Outside of that, its pretty much a wash, since both are great performers and I doubt any apps in the near future would make them sweat. I guess Galaxy Nexus is worth considering too, since Google recently dropped its price.
People always mention the no SD thing but it has 24GB of internal space. That's way more than you need in actuality

GS2 does this too. Internatinal one.

Lol at Phil from android central in background.

what, samsung layers? thats been there since the galaxy s2 launched ... you want them to sue apple?

it's a joke...

i remember when i found out about the double tap because i was dissing the international for not having a search button, i was like "how do you do long press search for voice commands?" and someone was like "double tap home" and i was like "oh..."

I have to correct myself, the Galaxy S3 does support up to 64 GB micro SD cards.
So, it actually supports SDXC (up to 64GB), because SDHC only supports cards with capacities up to 32 GB.

Samsung's press release:

http://www.samsungmobilepress.com/2012/05/03/Samsung-Introduces-the-GALAXY-S-III,-the-Smartphone--Designed-for-Humans-and-Inspired-by-Nature

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Types_of_cards

many current devices (including GS1/GS2) support 64GB SDXC cards, you just have to re-format them to FAT32

People always mention the no SD thing but it has 24GB of internal space. That's way more than you need in actuality

that's way more than YOU need, but not me.

tino

Banned

Out of the bootloader, battery and sd card. The bootloader is the biggest deal breaker.

SD slot is useful if you take picture with a real camera and you want to review them on the phone.

sun-drop

Have you see the One X in person? I was assuming it was going to be like the lumia 900 but it's actually a matte soft to the touch feel. It looks stunning in person.

yes i work for the IT branch of a telco, and they have one in the feature store below my office ... it's more shiny than i expected ..but ... i guess that is in a bright showroom so maybe a lot of reflection going on..

i love the One x sculptured look though ..thats where the uni-body design really stands out, but there's something about the lower half of the face side of htc phones ...they just don't seem to use the space very well. dunno what it is ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GxLEHuvE7hc#t=274s

samsung really have shitty looking camera housings though :/

Darkkn

The app draw sucks arse bigtime on TW.

How so? It looks pretty much the same as stock except a different color scheme to me.

TW looks much more like ICS than Sense does. Really TW is mostly ICS with different icons and colors. Worse icons and colors, but still.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
what is that supposed to mean?

The SIII does deserve criticism, but "how Samsung broke my heart" Seriously? Between this and that "I'm leaving the internet for a year!" I'm starting to feel like the Verge is becoming more and more of a mouthpiece for their attention whores and less about their journalism.

The SIII does deserve criticism, but "how Samsung broke my heart" Seriously? Between this and that "I'm leaving the internet for a year!" I'm starting to feel like the Verge is becoming more and more of a mouthpiece for their attention whores and less about their journalism.
It's in their editorial section for a reason..

nib95

Banned
Vlad has been destroying the S3 on his twitter. Ouch indeed

Not really quite sure why. The main complaint is it's appearance (ok?) and the pentile screen (fair enough) along with the fact that it didn't completely blow away the HTC One X, the flagship Android phone on the market that just released.

But is that really even a major thing? I'd imagine HTC knew they had to up the ante too to keep the S3 at bay hence why there's no huge gulf between them.

sun-drop

what a drama queen.

i mean seriously what would have made his day?

12MP shooter? ..ok..

exynos 5 ? ... prob wishful thinking but wud have been nice, but the quad is smoking the competition ... i'm hoping they put that in a nice amoled 10.1 tab though ... i can dream ..

pentile screen? ..ok ..but the reality is it it's the notes screen , shrunk down a bit ..so it's got higher pixel density and is gonna look fucking good. it still boils down to LCD whites vs OLED blacks ..take yr pick..

and in usual Samsung stlye they pack the thing with every connectivity option known to man ..and then go make a few new ones up. S beam is tight.

and you can bet yr life if apple was the one announcing the eye tracking stuff it'd be heralded as the 2nd coming .

i still believe .. going by the chip set enhancements ... and all the early talk from samsung re battery life .... we may all be in for a hell of a surprise at how long this thing can run for..

the international Note had pretty amazing battery life right? ... S3 has a smaller screen, and less hungry internals ... do the math

Emily Chu

Banned
Screen-Shot-2012-05-03-at-5.08.08-PM-372x540.png

Fuck...I'm so confused!

Always wanted an all black button less sharp completely rectangular phone constructed of.hard metals.that's ultra light

Only.thing that ever came.close was my old. Droid x

God I miss that phone.

Niks

The Verge said:
At best, Samsung matched the HTC One X. At worst, it indulged in a two-month delay of an MWC-worthy device, stoked a frenzy of anticipation that was unjustified by the eventual product, and jeopardized the still fragile growth of its brand reputation among smartphone enthusiasts.

Hmmm...

Any news on the camera?

sun-drop

How so? It looks pretty much the same as stock except a different color scheme to me.

TW looks much more like ICS than Sense does. Really TW is mostly ICS with different icons and colors. Worse icons and colors, but still.

the way sense does multitasking is horrible ... and there is no reason for it ..dunno why htc feel the need to change the whole lay out of stuff that works just fine ..

but who really cares? i don't even know why half the media even bother mentioning it as yr just gonna install apex or nova anyways. the messaging interfaces etc are far more key ..

I think he is giving his opinion of the fact that he expected to deliver more from this phone than the 'safe' route Samsung went with which many people agree with

kehs

Banned
the way sense does multitasking is horrible ... and there is no reason for it ..dunno why htc feel the need to change the whole lay out of stuff that works just fine ..

but who really cares? i don't even know why half the media even bother mentioning it as yr just gonna install apex or nova anyways. the messaging interfaces etc are far more key ..

Launchers don't change the recent apps list.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I think he is giving his opinion of the fact that he expected to deliver more from this phone than the 'safe' route Samsung went with which many people agree with

I know, I actually kind of agree with him. I just feel like they should do it in a less self-indulgent way.

Circle T

I really wish there was something similar to Reuters or AP, but just for tech news. I would like to have all the up-to-date news, tech specs, etc, but without all the extra commentary. Just tell me that Samsung released a new phone, here are the hardware details, this is the software specifics, and it will go on sale on X date at X price.

Does that exist, and I'm oblivious to it, or am I wishing for the impossible?

giga

I really wish there was something similar to Reuters or AP, but just for tech news. I would like to have all the up-to-date news, tech specs, etc, but without all the extra commentary. Just tell me that Samsung released a new phone, here are the hardware details, this is the software specifics, and it will go on sale on X date at X price.

Does that exist, and I'm oblivious to it, or am I wishing for the impossible?
Yes.

Kyoufu

The more I look at this phone the more I want it. The problem is I would prefer an iPhone (apps).

Might pick one up without a contract then see how it holds up against the iPhone 5 later this year.

Are we expecting iPhone 5 to blow this out of the water with the 6 month advantage?

If it was between the One X and the GS3, I would probably lean towards the GS3. For Sprint owners, though, who have the superior One X (Evo LTE) with its microsd slot, kickstand, and shutter button, give me the Evo.

"So what did we get? The Siri-imitating S Voice, a quad-core SoC that's already been announced for the Meizu MX, a suite of camera enhancements that rips off HTC's ImageSense wholesale, and a signature animated lock screen that emulates interaction with water, something that's been a live wallpaper option on Android phones since 2010. Oh, and industrial design and build quality that you'll find on any anonymous South Korean MP3 player — Samsung seems to have tried trickling its design language up, never a good idea."

well damn. :-/

what a drama queen.

i mean seriously what would have made his day?

12MP shooter? ..ok..

exynos 5 ? ... prob wishful thinking but wud have been nice, but the quad is smoking the competition ... i'm hoping they put that in a nice amoled 10.1 tab though ... i can dream ..

pentile screen? ..ok ..but the reality is it it's the notes screen , shrunk down a bit ..so it's got higher pixel density and is gonna look fucking good. it still boils down to LCD whites vs OLED blacks ..take yr pick..

and in usual Samsung stlye they pack the thing with every connectivity option known to man ..and then go make a few new ones up. S beam is tight.

and you can bet yr life if apple was the one announcing the eye tracking stuff it'd be heralded as the 2nd coming .

i still believe .. going by the chip set enhancements ... and all the early talk from samsung re battery life .... we may all be in for a hell of a surprise at how long this thing can run for..

the international Note had pretty amazing battery life right? ... S3 has a smaller screen, and less hungry internals ... do the math
Note has a 2500mAh battery though

as for Apple, remember the backlash for the iPhone 4S?

If it was between the One X and the GS3, I would probably lean towards the GS3. For Sprint owners, though, who have the superior One X (Evo LTE) with its microsd slot, kickstand, and shutter button, give me the Evo.

but the Evo 4G LTE is UGLY

also, DAT BATTERY and maybe DAT BOOTLOADER

The more I look at this phone the more I want it. The problem is I would prefer an iPhone (apps).

Might pick one up without a contract then see how it holds up against the iPhone 5 later this year.

Are we expecting iPhone 5 to blow this out of the water with the 6 month advantage?

yes.

rozay

Banned
The eye tracking thing seems like a big deal the more I think about it, while its a subtle concept there are numerous times I've had to touch the screen to keep the backlight on. It's something I would've expected to come from Apple first to be honest.

Cipherr

Broke his heart goddamn. I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't really care who makes the best phone, so long as there's a really good one. HTC LG Motorola Samsung and the rest can one up each other year after year and I wont mind, so long as all my choices don't SUCK. I don't see the difference really. If the S2 was the king phone last year, and the OneX end up being king this year /shrug.

Cipherr

but the Evo 4G LTE is UGLY

also, DAT BATTERY and maybe DAT BOOTLOADER

Only 100 mAh less than the Galaxy S3. Battery size should be more than fine considering the great battery life the OneX gets with 1800 mAh. I dont think the EVO4g will have major battery issues. But yeah, non removable does keep you from attaching an even larger one.

Im not rooting this go around with the UI's being so much better than years past, so a launcher will do. And I dont care to much about how a phone looks, I buy pretty cases for them always, besides its not like the S3 is a looker. The race between the Evo and the S3 is close man.

Only 100 mAh less than the Galaxy S3. Battery size should be more than fine considering the great battery life the OneX gets with 1800 mAh. I dont think the EVO4g will have major battery issues. But yeah, non removable does keep you from attaching an even larger one.

Im not rooting this go around with the UI's being so much better than years past, so a launcher will do. And I dont care to much about how a phone looks, I buy pretty cases for them always, besides its not like the S3 is a looker. The race between the Evo and the S3 is close man.
yeah, i gotta have DAT REPLACEABLE BATTERY. even if i run stock, i have to be rooted. i'd definitely want to run apex or nova (or trebuchet whenever that gets an update) as a system app.

and c'mon son, even people who want to hate on the GS3 have to come clean and admit the EVO 4G LTE is ugly!

then again, Samsung hasn't shown what the US models look like... who knows what will happen there...

Galaxy roulette!!!

Cipherr

and c'mon son, even people who want to hate on the GS3 have to come clean and admit the EVO 4G LTE is ugly!

then again, Samsung hasn't shown what the US models look like... who knows what will happen there...

Well I don't think its thhhaaaaaaaaaat bad,

but yeah, its clearly not the prettiest phone in the world. And no matter what the US carriers do to the S3, the S3's are still going to look better. I just don't really care to much about how it looks.

sun-drop

i think the flip cover does infact replace the back cover .. i mean .. those indentations are kinda like the typical s2 cover snap on nobb things...

67138817.jpg

67138811.jpg

67138812.jpg

67138818.jpg

67138819.jpg

67138821.jpg

Top Bottom