• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Kyoufu

Carphone Warehouse had a 24 month contract limited pre-order offer with a Galaxy Tablet included for free. They're out of stock though :(

the evo LTE press shots look a lot classier to me than samsungs blue and white plastic pebbles
actual results may vary

vlwpU.jpg

MMYvc.jpg

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
The more I look at this phone the more I want it. The problem is I would prefer an iPhone (apps).

Might pick one up without a contract then see how it holds up against the iPhone 5 later this year.

Are we expecting iPhone 5 to blow this out of the water with the 6 month advantage?

nope, just a better retina display and Siri working better....maybe LTE.

Anyone else beginning to love the design? The more I look and the more pictures I see the more I'm liking the rounded edges, I think it looks quite beautiful... if you ignore the fact the ugly middle button is there.

Dreaver

A bit disappointed to see Samsung focusing so much on Touch Wiz. To be quite honest it's one of the few things I dislike about the Galaxy S line. :(

I prefer the new (curved edges) design over the old (S2) one. I am a little disappointed by the fact that they are still using plastic. It makes it feel cheap in my opinion.

The whole phone feels like a bummer to me.. Maybe I expected too much from it because the Galaxy S2 was a huge new improved flagship for Android.

I suppose we will have to wait a few weeks before the majority of reviews will be out... I'm really not sure whenever to wait for the new iPhone or get the S3....

Kyoufu

Anyone else beginning to love the design? The more I look and the more pictures I see the more I'm liking the rounded edges, I think it looks quite beautiful... if you ignore the fact the ugly middle button is there.

Yeah, if I'm going to get an Android phone it'd definitely be the S3. It's not the phone that worries me. It's the OS itself and the lack of App parity with iOS. :/

Sagitario

I love the look of that cover, and especially the fact it replaces the back plate. Wish they made that for the SII.

Speaking of the SII...

Get that US stuff away, this is a real SII:

galaxy-s2-offers.jpg

Yeah! :D

Still haven't decided if I will upgrade. I am pretty happy with my SII.
So good...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
that's way more than YOU need, but not me.
What do you put on it? I'm actually curious. After about a year of heavy usage I got to about 18GB, but I cleaned up simply because it was messy and got down to 9GB again. I can only imagine if you like to have a lot of movies on it to watch

I love the look of that cover, and especially the fact it replaces the back plate. Wish they made that for the SII.

Speaking of the SII...

bigbuttongarbage.jpg

So good...

pass

What do you put on it? I'm actually curious. After about a year of heavy usage I got to about 18GB, but I cleaned up simply because it was messy and got down to 9GB again. I can only imagine if you like to have a lot of movies on it to watch

i like to record HD video

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Music alone takes up 32gb for me. I hate using streaming sites for music, waste of already limited data.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Speaking of the SII...

galaxy-s2-offers.jpg

So good...

You clearly had an aneurism, its the only way to explain why anyone gifted with sight would chose that hideous home button over sleek capacitive buttons.

I see, don't you put it on a PC or separate device at the end of the day?

Damn! I have maybe 4-5 GB and navigating is hell already :lol

Streaming music is definitely a waste tho

yeah... that doesn't matter if i run out of space or have to stop to transfer stuff while recording!

You clearly had an aneurism, its the only way to explain why anyone gifted with sight would chose that hideous home button over sleek capacitive buttons.

or a secret iPhone fetish...

Sagitario

I like having a button (as it provides some physical feedback when I can't look at my phone). The one in the SII is small and light. Feels good.

No aneurism or fetish.

Ashhong

that blows my mind too.

between that and the scrollable list of quick toggles in the notification bar:

CUSTOM ROMS PUT ON NOTICE!

damn Samsung with the same 8MP came... oh wait...

Every custom ROM I have used for the last 2 years has an option for percentages next to the battery. Last 5 years if you include iPhone.

I wonder if it shows a large pic like the Xperia series does for incoming calls:

It's a favorite feature of mine..this small square trend has gotta end imo:

Isn't that Xperia picture showing the caller ID from when the phone is off? My GS2 does that if someone calls.

Circle T

Every custom ROM I have used for the last 2 years has an option for percentages next to the battery. Last 5 years if you include iPhone.

I don't remember exactly, but wasn't that added in with iOS4? I got rid of my 3G shortly after iOS4 launched, so I might be wrong.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I was excited for SIII...

Not so much now...I'll wait for the new Google phone or the next HTC and see whether I bite...

Ashhong

I don't remember exactly, but wasn't that added in with iOS4? I got rid of my 3G shortly after iOS4 launched, so I might be wrong.

I'm not sure, I never went past iOS3 before going Android, but it was always an option if you jailbroke. I was just saying that percentages are not new in the slightest, and that "custom ROM makers" do not suddenly need to take notice.

Ashhong

Not sure if it's confirmed but I have seen a light on the top on the other side of the front camera that looks like a notification light.

Circle T

I'm not sure, I never went past iOS3 before going Android, but it was always an option if you jailbroke. I was just saying that percentages are not new in the slightest, and that "custom ROM makers" do not suddenly need to take notice.

Ahhh, gotcha.

Vyer

The more I look at this phone the more I want it. The problem is I would prefer an iPhone (apps).

Might pick one up without a contract then see how it holds up against the iPhone 5 later this year.

Are we expecting iPhone 5 to blow this out of the water with the 6 month advantage?

Nobody knows, but a new design does seem like a possibility.

tino

Banned
Vald is such a drama whore. I think I will have to skip the next two podcast.

Besides the round corners and the button, I don't see anything wrong with the design.

Husker86

I see, don't you put it on a PC or separate device at the end of the day?

Damn! I have maybe 4-5 GB and navigating is hell already :lol

Streaming music is definitely a waste tho
Google Music solved any worries of having all my music. I pin my favorites so I don't need to stream them but for any random song I can stream. I'm also on unlimited though so data usage hasn't scared me yet. If I don't tether I rarely ever get to 2 GB though.

Ashhong

Great. Getting dangerously close to pulling the trigger as I lack a smartphone right now and don't feel like waiting another 5-6 months for Apple.

Probably 4 months until Apple. Should just buy the Nexus if you can, and then resell it down the road.

Toki767

Great. Getting dangerously close to pulling the trigger as I lack a smartphone right now and don't feel like waiting another 5-6 months for Apple.

Honestly I'd just go for it. International Galaxy S phones are fine when it comes to receiving updates. It's the US versions that get held up by carriers. There isn't really any reason to not get it unless you absolutely can't get over the pentile screen.

I'd expect to hear about the next iPhone in September, but probably won't be available till October.

nib95

Banned
my man chris ziegler with a slightly more level headed post than that editorial vlad posted:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/4/2998912/how-samsung-renewed-my-love

regardless of whether the Galaxy Tebow III is (or isn't) ugly, it doesn't change that it's a lot of good stuff in one package*

Wow, someone who's showing a bit of common sense and logic. Lets face it, Vlad's editorial was terrible. And not because he was disappointed with the S3. It was self serving and full of concocted or exaggerated negatives that were slightly childish.

Such as dismissing all of the new software features just because they were too many, too (according to Vlad) minor, or weren't presented well enough.

Chris is showing some level headed analysis of the reveal, and argued his points and countered Vlad's in exceptional form. Kudo's. Verge needs to hire this man.

Though I don't agree with all his enthusiasm about the phone, he certainly made a much better argument for them than Vlad did. I suppose rounded corners, thin bezels and simplistic design do stray from the norm, and would be more ergonomic, in a world where rectangular and slightly complex seem to dominate.

Top Bottom