• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Avixph

Hmm...so the US versions will have Snapdragon S4 to support LTE and most are assuming it won't use the Wolfson DAC audio either.

Now confused whether I should see if my parents can get me the international version from India or wait for US release. I wish US T-Mobile specs would come out, that is the only one that may use Exynos with Wolfson DAC
There is a rumor that the Rogers version will maintain the original processor while being an LTE phone, so it might the version we will get in the States will be the same.

Mook1e

It is killing me waiting for this (Have the original GS I Epic on Sprint) and I'm almost ready to just pull the trigger on the Evo 4G LTE. I might switch to AT&T and buy an international, but I want at least the 32GB model, if not 64GB (which will probably not materialize).
Does anyone know if the Evo can use the 64GB microSD cards?
The swap-able battery for the SIII is also a huge plus, but who knows if they will keep that in the U.S. versions. They need to hurry up and release details for those things already!

The international version of the phone will only use Edge on T-Mobile. It only supports HSPA+ on AT&T.

I have AT&T...yea choices choices.

Is LTE worth the Exynos/Wolfson audio trade off for AT&T or not...along with my assumption that international versions should have better dev support.

Toki767

I have AT&T...yea choices choices.

Is LTE worth the Exynos/Wolfson audio trade off for AT&T or not...along with my assumption that international versions should have better dev support.

In my opinion, the international version is the one to get not only because of the Exynos/Wolfson, but also because it won't have AT&T bloatware, it will have free wifi tethering without rooting, and Samsung is pretty fast at updating their international phones.

That said, I'm not the type of person who is used to paying $600+ for a phone so I'll be getting the AT&T version.

tokkun

Hmm...so the US versions will have Snapdragon S4 to support LTE and most are assuming it won't use the Wolfson DAC audio either.

Now confused whether I should see if my parents can get me the international version from India or wait for US release. I wish US T-Mobile specs would come out, that is the only one that may use Exynos with Wolfson DAC

The DAC on the S4 also appears to be very good from the GSMArena review of the One V.

is this certain?

There is a lot of rumor and circumstantial evidence.

In my opinion, the international version is the one to get not only because of the Exynos/Wolfson, but also because it won't have AT&T bloatware, it will have free wifi tethering without rooting, and Samsung is pretty fast at updating their international phones.

That said, I'm not the type of person who is used to paying $600+ for a phone so I'll be getting the AT&T version.

ATT one X and even with the bootloader locked, I was able to take off all the AT&T bloatwares and do some minor mods.

I will really miss the LTE on the One X.....even rumor has it the the Iphone 5 will be LTE...

So far its almost certain that the ATT version will also use the S4 krait as thats what the verizon model is using, just don't know if it will have the 2gig ram like the Japanese counter part.

dualcore krait s4 + 2 gig ram + LTE + bloatware
or
Quadcore exynos + 1 gig ram + Wolfson + unlock

which one is a better choice?

Toki767

ATT one X and even with the bootloader locked, I was able to take off all the AT&T bloatwares and do some minor mods.

I will really miss the LTE on the One X.

so far its almost certain that the ATT version will also use the S4 krait as thats what the verizon model is using, just don't know if it will have the 2gig ram like the Japanese counter part.

dualcore krait s4 + 2 gig ram + LTE + bloatware
or
Quadcore exynos + 1 gig ram + Wolfson + unlock

which one is a better choice?

If the S4 comes with 2GB, I'd actually prefer that over a 1GB quad core. There probably won't be a real world noticeable difference between the S4 and the Exynos, but having twice the ram would mean better multitasking.

If the S4 comes with 2GB, I'd actually prefer that over a 1GB quad core. There probably won't be a real world noticeable difference between the S4 and the Exynos, but having twice the ram would mean better multitasking.

Source from xda says that the multitasking of the GS3 works simillar to the One X..=(
not really a big deal for me, but to some it will be heartbreaking.

Thanks for calling out my faulty logic days after the fact.

np.

no Exynos is excusable.

no Wolfson DAC is a crime against humanity.

2012-05-2213.51.16(600x450).jpg

just got mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3JFwd1bk4Q

Husker86

The gnex screen is not bright. The brightest setting on the gnex is like halfway setting on the one x.

Auto brightess on the gnex was soo dim..
Auto brightness is too bright on the GN in my opinion, in low light at least.. One of the first things I did with custom ROM was adjust the auto brightness settings. But full brightness is not up with LCDs, that I agree on.

I wish Android would add auto brightness like the iPhone has, where you can turn auto on but still adjust the slider to make it more or less aggressive.

Woop, preordered with Orange and just waiting for release now.

Funny thing is that we'd actually upgraded to the S2 but the sent the wrong colour and it was returned, simply didn't bother to call back and place another order and then this was announced :)

Toki767

I know those images are just placeholders, but I wonder if the US will actually get a physical home button this time since it'd be awkward double tapping a capacitive home key to bring up S Voice.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Ok, so if I want the best of the best of Galaxy S3, I assumed I should get one from Japan? Is that one available unlocked?

Depends on the carrier. If it's DoCoMo, it can only work with ATT/T-mobile. Even then, it might not even have the required bands that you need for HSPA+

king zell

ok after 2 days of use, i love this phone, the battery actually last for the whole day even with heavy use.

the only thing that i dont like is while i was playing Mass Effect the phone got warm from the back, i had the same problem with the S1 with some games also, other than that this is one amazing phone and media player.

nib95

Banned
ok after 2 days of use, i love this phone, the battery actually last for the whole day even with heavy use.

the only thing that i dont like is while i was playing Mass Effect the phone got warm from the back, i had the same problem with the S1 with some games also, other than that this is one amazing phone and media player.

I'm hoping mine turns up ahead of UK release!

Niks

Any other +/- impressions?
Thanks.

I'm hoping mine turns up ahead of UK release!

Same here, although Orange said it could take a few days after release to get delivered.

Very eager to feel it in my hand, as I have fairly small hands. From size comparisons it doesn't look much bigger than the S2 which felt very comfortable :)

FireCloud

Woooo!

I hope it comes out early June so I don't get fucked with Verizon and their no discount for keeping unlimited data shit.

Edit: For Verizon, it says CDMA. Doesn't that mean 3G? :( Or do I have my acronyms mixed up?

Pretty sure it will suppprt LTE as well. I don't think Verizon is interested in selling any more 3G only phones. They want to get everyone switched over to the 4G network where they have available bandwidth.

Edit: That is consistent with the listing for the other carriers as well. LTE isn't listed for any of them.

Pretty sure it will suppprt LTE as well. I don't think Verizon is interested in selling any more 3G only phones. They want to get everyone switched over to the 4G network where they have available bandwidth.

Edit: That is consistent with the listing for the other carriers as well. LTE isn't listed for any of them.

LTE with S4 krait for Verizon is pretty much confirm already.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
BTW if you use wifi most of the time it isn't a big deal, BUT if you live in a real LTE market LTE is like light years beyond anything you've ever seen data wise. Don't undersell LTE speed just to get some slightly better specs in other areas that might not really get used THAT much anyways. I doubt for general phone usage the quad core is really needed to begin with over what the S4 can do. You'll potentially be using LTE all the frick'n time though.

BTW if you use wifi most of the time it isn't a big deal, BUT if you live in a real LTE market LTE is like light years beyond anything you've ever seen data wise. Don't undersell LTE speed just to get some slightly better specs in other areas that might not really get used THAT much anyways. I doubt for general phone usage the quad core is really needed to begin with over what the S4 can do. You'll potentially be using LTE all the frick'n time though.

I agree, LTE is the future, even the rumors says that Iphone 5 will have LTE.

Able to watch HD videos(youtube + netflix) on the go without buffering/hiccups is really nice.

I actually think LTE is a big sacrifice just for the quad core exynos especially when the S4 krait ain't no slouch.

If only sense 4.0 wasn't a POS, I would actually keep the One x longer.
If all of a sudden the bootloader gets unlock I'll probably do, but till then I'm getting the SG3 international.

I can understand the S4 fustration, but honestly guys, i doubt you will ever really use a quad core chip in your phone to its fullest potential.

Brettison is right, you will use LTE much more and its worth the trade off. 30mbs is the low end of ATT LTE. Its crazy.

What are those of you in verizon LTE markets getting on average now thatthere are so many more phones out there?

soultron

Banned
I don't really like white phones but the shade of blue they picked looks a little tacky/feminine to me in the press photos. Could look entirely different in person but from what I've seen I'd have to say white.

I think it's an ugly phone regardless of the colour. But hey, I'm not getting it because it looks pretty.

Top Bottom