• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

I don't really like white phones but the shade of blue they picked looks a little tacky/feminine to me in the press photos. Could look entirely different in person but from what I've seen I'd have to say white.

Exactly my feeling. I hate white, and that blue is just cheesy! why not grey?!!!!!!!!

*waiting on Black GS3*

T8g2w.jpg

we don't know which one is the best galaxy S3 yet

(get out, unknown soldier)

Oh hi

The best Galaxy Anything will always be the one which isn't loaded with carrier shitware, has the tethering enabled, and you pay $800 for. Whether you are willing to pay the $800 is entirely up to you. The Verizon Galaxy Nexus was a rare exception to that rule because it had the 32GB capacity and it's tethering lockout was easy to bypass.

ep85

The blue would be fine if they didn't give it that stupid metal grain look, especially on the front. A nice navy blue back with a front that was black to blend in with the screen would have been nice.

Salamndar

I have the white Galaxy S 3 and to be honest pictures don't give it justice!

Much better in real life.

So far I love my Galaxy S iii.

nib95

Banned
I have the white Galaxy S 3 and to be honest pictures doesn't give it justice!

Much better in real life.

So far I love my Galaxy S iii.

Out of curiosity, how is Google Maps on it? Does it lose connection or go loopy often, or is it pretty reliable?

Salamndar

Out of curiosity, how is Google Maps on it? Does it lose connection or go loopy often, or is it pretty reliable?

I have not tried that yet, I am currently preparing for a long trip back home, so I only used my Galaxy S3 to make some calls, SMS, Voxer and some whatsapp.

nib95

Banned
I have not tried that yet, I am currently preparing for a long trip back home, so I only used my Galaxy S3 to make some calls, SMS, Voxer and some whatsapp.

Cool. Well, I'd really appreciate if you could keep us posted with impressions. Maybe post a few photo samples or something too if you get the time.

Salamndar

Cool. Well, I'd really appreciate if you could keep us posted with impressions. Maybe post a few photo samples or something too if you get the time.

So far, I like the device, the monitor is just heavenly amazing, the device is light and so thin makes my old Galaxy S1 look fat !!

It is late where I live, so using the camera won't show its potential at all !

But I might tomorrow.

kharma45

So far, I like the device, the monitor is just heavenly amazing, the device is light and so thin makes my old Galaxy S1 look fat !!

It is late where I live, so using the camera won't show its potential at all !

But I might tomorrow.

What's it like moving from a 4" phone to a 4.8" in day to day use?

Sagitario

I don't really like white phones but the shade of blue they picked looks a little tacky/feminine to me in the press photos. Could look entirely different in person but from what I've seen I'd have to say white.

I am a little concerned about it turning into a yellowish white after a while.

JordanKZ

Aren't the US versions going to end up with a shittier processor or something?

The Snapdragon S4 has proven itself to be exceptionally capable in the One S and the Evo 4G that you guys have in the states.

Sure, it's no Exynos, but it's still a very good SoC.

reKon

Banned
Aren't the US versions going to end up with a shittier processor or something?

If that's shitty for the power you're getting, I'd take it. The battery life is very good and the screen won't eat up all the battery like a SUPER AMOLED

soultron

Banned

Curious about this as well. I have a GalS Fascinate and the GPS never seems to work. Always locates me on the wrong streets. Is this a common problem?

I've found that the iPhone4/4S GPS to be rock solid with Google Maps. What gives?

If you want the best GPS in the phone , you can not beat Nokia. Amazing GPS and absolutely free. Turn by turn voice navigation, point of interests and above all no internet required.

tokkun

If the Sprint version adds a hardware camera button, I'll seriously consider the S3, otherwise I'll probably go with the One X.

Curious about this as well. I have a GalS Fascinate and the GPS never seems to work. Always locates me on the wrong streets. Is this a common problem?

I've found that the iPhone4/4S GPS to be rock solid with Google Maps. What gives?

it's a common problem on stock roms, but there are modded roms with gos fixes.

nib95

Banned

Man, I've found the iPhone's GPS to be pants. Well, tell a lie, it's not too bad when you're driving. Though it does tend to drop signal or just go blank now and again, but whilst walking, it's awful. Seriously, the worst. Constant figure of eight error messages and bonkers positioning (keeps spinning me around or moving me about randomly).

Not sure about other phone's, but I used my mates Note and that seemed to work pretty flawlessly with navigation.

Argyle

For what it's worth the Galaxy S2 GPS has been pretty solid in my experience.

sun-drop

well just had it confirmed here in NZ ..blue is delayed until mid June.

white to be avail on the launch date as planned.

same thing in holland going from the xda forums ...anywhere else?

i just got a voice mail left from the store i pre paid at.

gutted.

rumor is they where re-called because the back plates color doesn't quite match the front?

hopefully making it darker?

but yeh ...SHIT

The EVO fan blog Good and EVO is reporting that simultaneous voice calling and 3G data (SV-DO) is working on Sprint's HTC EVO 4G LTE. Some of you may be aware that unlike GSM carriers (e.g. AT&T), CDMA carriers (e.g. Sprint) are unable to serve voice and data over 3G simultaneously. So if you were on a CDMA device talking to someone, it would be impossible for you to connect to the internet. Verizon Wireless became one of the first CDMA carriers to offer both voice and data over its 3G networks when it launched the HTC Thunderbolt, early last year. However, Sprint customers wishing to use both voice and data at the same time would have to use 4G or Wi-Fi.

That is until now. If the reports from Good and EVO are accurate (and we have no reason to believe that they are not) Sprint's version of the HTC One X, the HTC EVO 4G LTE, does not drop 3G connectivity while on a voice call. A commenter on the G&E blog suggests that simultaneous voice and 3G data is also working on the LG Optimus Elite, apparently because the new Qualcomm chipset "separates the 1xRTT radio from EVDO".

If you have always used a CDMA device and never had a problem with restricted data access during voice calls, you may be wondering what all the fuss is about. The usefulness of having data connectivity while on a voice call is not immediately apparent, but there are numerous use cases. For example, you may be on a call with a friend and you need to share your location, alternatively you may need to guide your friend to your location using a map, or you may just need to lookup some information. I was once talking to a friend and she wanted to know the number of a particular restaurant, so I put my headphones on, fired up my browser, and found the number for her. Of course since you will need to take your phone away from your face and ear, you will need some kind of Bluetooth headset or speaker solution before you can start surfing the web while on a call.

Suffice to say simultaneous voice and data over 3G is simply an added bonus without any real detriment. If you are a Sprint customer and want to surf the web over 3G while on a call, then the HTC EVO 4G LTE is the way to go.

Update: The LG Viper 4G and the aforementioned Optimus Elite are reportedly capable of SV-DO as well.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...supports-simultaneous-voice-and-data-over-3g/

Hopefully the CDMA GS3 joins the SV-DO club.

Sorry if this is constantly rehashed, but is it still possible that NA carriers could get the quad-core Exynos?

Sprint and Verizon will use the dual core s4.

Rumors has it..

At&t will most likely used the s4

Tmobile will most likely used the exynos.

I've been thinking with the at&t gs3 using the s4.
What would be the advantage of it over the One X s4 beside the software?

Screen wise I really doubt it will be better.

Sound chip will be the same...

Camera is too similar...

Memory and battery.... Our yeah! Nevermind carry on gs3 wins...

voodooray

Hi, has there been any news on when the 32GB/64GB editions will be released, and if they will be available unlocked like the 16GB edition?

Sadly, while that may have been a great compliment a year or two ago, the quality and viewing angles of AMOLED have recently been bypassed by refinements in LCD technology. HTC’s One X is the standout demonstration of that — offering unrivalled clarity, color balance, and viewing angles. In all of those respects, the Galaxy S III is one or two tiers below the One X: its display has the usual blue tinge characteristic of AMOLED displays, which gets worse as you begin to look at it off-center.

On the whole, I’d say this is a display that will serve the vast majority of people extremely well, provided they’re never unfortunate enough to see it side by side with a One X.

Yup, figured as much.

gs3-300d.jpg

nib95

Banned

Awesome. The swipe to screenshot, palm to pause, hit the top of the phone to scroll to the very bottom or top of web pages etc, very cool software gesture additions.

We're going to need a list of these in an OP somewhere lol.

On a side note, I wonder if Verge tested the "Natural" colour mode of the S3. Didn't see any mention of the superior contrast or black levels of the S3's screen over LCD offerings either. Seems a bit jaded to me. At least mention the pro's and con's of both, not just the con's of one.

Awesome. The swipe to screenshot, palm to pause, hit the top of the phone to scroll to the very bottom or top of web pages etc, very cool software gesture additions.

We're going to need a list of these in an OP somewhere lol.
Ha, they totally swiped that from iOS.

Does that work in all apps or just their stock browser?

On a side note, I wonder if Verge tested the "Natural" colour mode of the S3. Didn't see any mention of the superior contrast or black levels of the S3's screen over LCD offerings either.
If all you care about is black levels and contrast than go on ahead loving your PenTile AMOLED screen; but it's pretty clear in terms of overall package the HTC One X's display is unrivaled.

Top Bottom