• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Zeppu

One X's superiority is mostly visible in direct sunlight. In most other scenarios the difference isn't so glaring. Then again I'm one of those people who isn't 'bothered' by pentile so maybe it's just cause I'm a little blind, or whatever.

Edit: I'm comparing to the GNex. I still haven't seen a proper GS3.

nib95

Banned
If all you care about is black levels and contrast than go on ahead loving your PenTile AMOLED screen; but it's pretty clear in terms of overall package the HTC One X's display is unrivaled.

Err, no, this is not clear at all. Several different reviewers have had different opinions. Some stating the S3's screen is better, some stating the One X's is better.

For example, another reviewer (or two?) mentioned that the S3 had better viewing angles and sunlight performance (PhoneArena? GSMArena?). So I guess the only way to know is to compare for ourselves.

But I know contrast and black levels are certainly more important to me personally than slightly bluer white's.

kehs

Banned
I'm waiting for the anandtech review for the GSIII, their reviews are always awesome. GSMArena falls a close second to them.

sun-drop

i am STUNNED the verge included as a negitive bullet point in a phone review their opinion of samsung's ability to update the phone on a reg basis.

what is this bullshit.

first lets totally disregard the fact the S3 launches with the LATEST version of andriod, something the One x hasn't.

but what the hell is something like that doing in a review of a device ? guessing as to what might happen down the road ..counting that against the phone ...wow.

and anyways, as a S2 owner, i was flashing new updated samsung roms almost bi weekly via sammobile . hell we had samsung sourced ICS roms for S2 before most other phones out there.

Out of curiosity, is the Nexus the best Android phone on Verizon right now?

Edit: Also, is there an international version i can order that would work on Verizon LTE?

CrankyJay

Banned
2012gs3lead.jpg

Looks fucking gorgeous.

Darkkn

Engadget reviewed it - not sure if this has been posted yet, sorry if it has.

Looks awesome!

It annoys me greatly that the reviewer is saying that Sense is closer to ICS than TouchWiz when looking at the review footage, it seems exactly the opposite. Sense is gingerbread with ICS underpinnings where as TouchWiz is ICS with different color scheme and added features.

Two of the most obvious things are:
App drawer of TW looks very close to ICS, Sense really does not.
Multitasking menu in TW is exactly like in ICS, but with additional, useful features whereas Sense shitted all over the ICS multitasking paragdim and made it significantly differend AND worse.

To be fair, the core apps look a lot different than core ICS in TW, but so does in Sense also...

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
It annoys me greatly that the reviewer is saying that Sense is closer to ICS than TouchWiz when looking at the review footage, it seems exactly the opposite. Sense is gingerbread with ICS underpinnings where as TouchWiz is ICS with different color scheme and added features.

Multitasking menu in TW is exactly like in ICS, but with additional, useful features whereas Sense shitted all over the ICS multitasking paragdim and made it significantly differend AND worse.

To be fair, the core apps look a lot different than core ICS in TW, but so does in Sense also...
I've had a bad experience with Sense, so I really don't want to go back to it even if it's been changed. I haven't been following the HTC One X much though. My old phone was a HTC Legend and my current one is a Galaxy Gio I got cheap and unlocked lol.

sun-drop

yeh ... crazy stuff :/

nib95

Banned
Basically, the more phone centric sites are showing the tech blogs how it's done. Several unusual titbits in the reviews from the gadget sites (Verge and Engadget). I get the feeling they're not quite as educated on these matters and now and again, go more on personal opinion than facts, but it's cool.

Mobile Review's and Anandtech's reviews are the one's I'm waiting for now.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Sense in the one x is garbage.
engadget thinks the design and screen is better than the gs3.

And the worst thing about the GS III? No matter how hard it tries, it just isn't greater than the sum of the HTC One X's parts. Last year's Galaxy S II landed on an unsuspecting world that was devoid of predators, but the GS III has no such luxury. The Snapdragon variant of the One X has similar computing power, battery life and photographic credibility, but it also has a much better user interface that sticks more closely to the guiding ethos of Android 4.0. It also has a more forward-looking physical design, while the GS III sticks to the tried and true styles of old. Perhaps the biggest sacrifice you'd make by going for the One X over the GS III is the loss of the cheap storage offered by the microSD card. That's a painful thing to give up, but given how deeply we feel about the need for Android to move forward and not get stuck in a Gingerbread-flavored groundhog day, we'll take the hit.

it seems like the main thing is their preference for sense over touchwiz

they also prefer the one x's design but that's whatever to me

Husker86

Ha, they totally swiped that from iOS.

Does that work in all apps or just their stock browser?

If all you care about is black levels and contrast than go on ahead loving your PenTile AMOLED screen; but it's pretty clear in terms of overall package the HTC One X's display is unrivaled.
I think Samsung's has you literally tap the top of your phone, not the status bar like iOS.

rozay

Banned
I don't understand why samsung updates are in the cons section instead of the pros, when the review is about an international version where they do get updates in line with other manufacturers.

edit: so people are reporting aggressive force closing in the background, such as using the browser, leaving to do something else and coming back to the browser only to have to reload the page
Kornheiser_Why.JPG

Well ...at least they actually have the phone.

We all don't know if its factual inaccurate or not till most of us get the device.

but yeah...seem like the multitasking fiasco of the one x will continue on the GS3..

Hieberrr

I want this phone!

I currently have the OG Galaxy S (i9000) and fuck me... the only 4.0 ROM that i can use are vanilla-based ROMS. CM9/AOKP suck... I mean... okay, they don't suck. Aesthetically, Android is getting darker and darker and it's really disappointing.

So my mum will be bringing me the international version come June 20th from India.

This way I don't spend any money for it...and if the US versions are better, I can sell it and buy the US version

win-win

mostly

yay

rozay

Banned
The multitasking issue almost makes the phone unusable for me without a stock android build. Have One X roms been able to tweak the agressive dumping of background applications?

Toki767

So, according to this review the battery life is almost the same?? It's the only thing that made me wait for SIII

I like the design of One X more, and it seems like it has a better screen.

Well it's a 32nm quad core chip with a 2100 battery against a 28nm dual core chip and a 1800 battery. I'm not surprised battery life is pretty similar.

Well it's a 32nm quad core chip with a 2100 battery against a 28nm dual core chip and a 1800 battery. I'm not surprised battery life is pretty similar.

Plus, I can get the phone NOW and it will be around $120 cheaper than the SIII. I think I made up my mind and I won't wait till July to get my phone

Toki767

Plus, I can get the phone NOW and it will be around $120 cheaper than the SIII. I think I made up my mind and I won't wait till July to get my phone

What actually will be interesting to see is how the battery life is with the AT&T version of the GS3 since that will probably have the same processor as the One X which theoretically should lead to a longer battery life.

Toki767

One X is better designed phone no doubt. Camera might be better in s3. If I can buy just one phone today it will be X but it is not available for Wind mobile here.

Toki767

what the hell? why is there different versions? Can I get the AT&T one without being in US?

Pretty much no new phone is coming out in the US without LTE. The Snapdragon S4 has an LTE modem built into the chip making it save power. The Tegra 3 doesn't have LTE on the chip so rather than putting in a separate LTE modem and drain more energy, HTC opted to put the S4 chip inside the One X in the markets where LTE was available.

You can buy the AT&T one without a contract if you really wanted it.

gcubed

The problem with that comparison is that they used the international version of the One X with the 45nm Tegra 3, not the 28nm Snapdragon S4 that AT&T has.

The poster is talking about the international version. Why on earth would he want a comparison to a US phone?

The S4 vs S4 comparison will also be in the GS3s favor

Top Bottom