• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Whoa whoa whoa been out of phone tech for a like 10 months (still have the OG Galaxy S).

Why is Android bad on AT&T?

At&t is a double-edged sword. They can be your best friend on Android if you ignore their carrier-branded devices and by unlocked ones. Their One X sucks? Simply buy the Rogers one! Or the International one!

Same thing with the GSIII - get the international version or the Canadian equivalent

keeping the 850/1900 3G band and the 700/1700 LTE was the smarted thing they ever did

massoluk

Banned
I give a lot of consideration toward battery life. Engadget saying One X and GSIII battery life being comparable is bit weird, seeing that they themselves called it in at 8.5-9.5 hrs for GSIII and 6 Hrs for One X.

goober

At&t is a double-edged sword. They can be your best friend on Android if you ignore their carrier-branded devices and by unlocked ones. Their One X sucks? Simply buy the Rogers one! Or the International one!

Same thing with the GSIII - get the international version or the Canadian equivalent
E
keeping the 850/1900 3G band and the 700/1700 LTE was the smarted thing they ever did

Serious question: why does their One X suck? Does the GSIII suck as well on AT&T?

Is it due to their restrictions? Can't this be bypassed by rooting?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Serious question: why does their One X suck? Does the GSIII suck as well on AT&T?

Is it due to their restrictions? Can't this be bypassed by rooting?

It doesn't really "suck" at all, it's a fantastic device. It's just that ATT had the bootloader locked (which can be unlocked now, as a matter of fact), and It can be rooted just as well.

Folks say it "sucks" because the bootloader shouldn't be locked at all. But the average person (not the average Android uber-nerd) really doesn't give a shit about locked bootloaders. Matter of preference, I'd say.

Yup, figured as much.

gs3-300d.jpg

That's nice, but there's still this:

One-X on the top, Galaxy Nexus on the bottom

htc-one-x-vs-galaxy-nexus-movie-playback-1804-590x559.jpg

One-X on left, Nexus on right

htc-one-x-vs-galaxy-nexus-black-level-1804-590x462.jpg

Yeah, that's why I still have a hard time giving up Oled's perfect blacks.

The gs2 actually have a deeper black than the gnex.

But you won't be looking at a blank screen when using the phone.

The one x screen blows away the gnex screen.

There's also a mod to get rid of that stupid 3 dot menu button.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
The gs2 actually have a deeper black than the gnex.

But you won't be looking at a blank screen when using the phone.

The one x screen blows away the gnex screen.

you'll definitely be looking at blacks though

either way it's silly to say one screen blows the other away

if the one x screen vs the gs3 screen isnt an obvious preferential choice then i dont know what is.

you'll definitely be looking at blacks though

either way it's silly to say one screen blows the other away

if the one x screen vs the gs3 screen isnt an obvious preferential choice then i dont know what is.

not silly at all..

the black on the gnex is not even black black, more like grayish black unlike the GS2 which is black black that it blends with the bezel.

Before I got the one x, the pentile screen on the gnex didn't bother me at all. But once you compare them side by side....the one x screen just blows it away.

I'm pretty skeptical on how good the screen is on the gs3. But I wont make my judgement till I get mine and compare it with the one x.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
not silly at all..

the black on the gnex is not even black black, more like grayish black unlike the GS2 which is black black that it blends with the bezel.

Before I got the one x, the pentile screen on the gnex didn't bother me at all. But once you compare them side by side....the one x screen just blows it away.

I'm pretty skeptical on how good the screen is on the gs3. But I wont make my judgement till I get mine and compare it with the one x.

a screen blowing another a way would be a 50 inch oled 1080 tv being compared to a 13 inch 480i crt tv.

Pctx

Banned
To think.... tekno nerds getting a woody about screen specs and not what the phone can actually do.

I can't wait to see AT&T take an axe to the GS3 and it get the "LTE" stigma that the other phones have gotten.

A friend of mine who works in a telecom company just told me that he never seen anything like the SIII. And he's the one who told me to get the One X.

Ok that's it, I'm tired of this shit. I might just stick to my crappy BB. I don't really need a new phone I just wanted a new gadget. Last thing I bought was iPad2 last year

a screen blowing another a way would be a 50 inch oled 1080 tv being compared to a 13 inch 480i crt tv.

have you seen a gnex and one x screen side by side?

its brighter, color more natural, text are almost retina like..and so on..

OK maybe blowing it away ...was kinda harsh..

its more like a Kuros elite being compared to any current LCD/Plasma...

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

i compared them side by side at a department store and i actually prefer the contrast and blacks on the nexus. i even did this test before reading up more on the screen tech for the phones. i was initially comparing pentile vs non-pentile and then i found out later why i thought the colors were better on the nexus, amoled

i compared them side by side at a department store and i actually prefer the contrast and blacks on the nexus. i even did this test before reading up more on the screen tech for the phones. i was initially comparing pentile vs non-pentile and then i found out later why i thought the colors were better on the nexus, amoled

well comparing them on the department store isn't sufficient enough....especially with the dirty screen.

try watching some HD content videos and uploading high detail photographs.

different light source other than the department store.

f0lken

not silly at all..

How can that be?? both amoleds turn off the pixels to "display" a pure black, unless the screen itself is grey all you will see is complete blackness, at least on my GNote is that way, the blacks are the same as my friend's S2

Fezan

well comparing them on the department store isn't sufficient enough....especially with the dirty screen.

try watching some HD content videos and uploading high detail photographs.

different light source other than the department store.

Ok not comparable but how is the screen of new sony xperia s.my friend bragd about it every time.
how wil it compare to s3 one x or my note

gogogow

Erm......both of them, The One X and Galaxy Nexus have a PPI of over 300, meaning they both are retina displays. And the Galaxy Nexus actually have a slightly higher PPI than the One X.

Ok not comparable but how is the screen of new sony xperia s.my friend bragd about it every time.
how wil it compare to s3 one x or my note
Now that one will be blown away by the One X and Google Nexus/S3 (S2) etc. The Sony Xperia uses a standard S-LCD display, that was previously used in Xperia Arc/S/most if not all HTC models prior to the One series (and early Desire models which did use AMOLED screens). The only good thing about it, is the 720p resolution. The colours, blacks, viewing angle are nowhere near the two previously mentioned.

Husker86

How can that be?? both amoleds turn off the pixels to "display" a pure black, unless the screen itself is grey all you will see is complete blackness, at least on my GNote is that way, the blacks are the same as my friend's S2
The GN keeps some power on even on black pixels, I guess it saves power overall. Either way, the GN blacks are still much better than LCD blacks.

medrew

i am STUNNED the verge included as a negitive bullet point in a phone review their opinion of samsung's ability to update the phone on a reg basis.

what is this bullshit.

first lets totally disregard the fact the S3 launches with the LATEST version of andriod, something the One x hasn't.

but what the hell is something like that doing in a review of a device ? guessing as to what might happen down the road ..counting that against the phone ...wow.

and anyways, as a S2 owner, i was flashing new updated samsung roms almost bi weekly via sammobile . hell we had samsung sourced ICS roms for S2 before most other phones out there.

That's bullshit, what you're saying. With the exception of the S II and the Note what has Samsung updated? They've got a pathetic track record (in particular since they are and want to be the Android market leader) especially since they had ICS code before anyone else.

Do you really think Samsung is going to give the S II and the Note the next Android update? Not a chance. They'e one and done their updates.

As an owner of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9... fuck Samsung. They're released the Tab 2 line with ICS but fucked over the previous release/
It's not exactly a new sentiment. Samsung has always been like this. They drop and roll onto the next line of products as quickly as they can. It's why they can stay 'nimble'.

It's a perfectly valid criticism. Samsung fails at servicing their customers.

Enjoy getting Samsung'd. I've learnt me lesson.

Mook1e

As an owner of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9... .

How much do you want for it?
I want an 8.9. It has a nightly CM9 and it's the perfect size, to me.

I somewhat agree with you about Samsung (as an Epic 4G owner) but I like their hardware and run custom ROMs anyway.

yanhero

not silly at all..

How many times do you upgrade your phone per year?

nib95

Banned

Thanks for the updated third pic. Still looks like the GS3 comes out on top.

On a side note, how does the One X's display compare to a 4S's? I've never seen a One X in person, but I certainly prefer the Galaxy Nexus screen to the one on my 4S. Maybe the 4S is slightly brighter or truer in white (still not accurate mind), but the poor black levels and contrast really do get to me.

Things just don't pop as much, and you do notice the grey blacks all the time. Especially on any night time photography or films, adverts, trailers etc. Poor blacks imo are much worse than poor whites. Which is why I'd always pick plasma over LCD.

maybe these forum people are right and Anandtech's measurements are wrong when they get a 0 reading when checking the black levels on the gnex? or maybe they just got defective units...

I don't know..when I compared them side by side..the gnex did look more grayish. the bezel doesn't blend in like the GS2.

and no, mine wasn't defective...

and where did you find Gnex Anantechs black level measurements? can't seem to find it....I saw one for the Nexus S..

How many times do you upgrade your phone per year?

Too much :(.... When I get the gs3 it will be my fifth upgrade, and then I plan on getting the whatever the next nexus is at the end of the year.

But if you're smart you can upgrade without spending much.
Went from gs2 -> gnex -> one x with very minimum pocket damage.

It's like a hobby

Thanks for the updated third pic. Still looks like the GS3 comes out on top.

On a side note, how does the One X's display compare to a 4S's? I've never seen a One X in person, but I certainly prefer the Galaxy Nexus screen to the one on my 4S. Maybe the 4S is slightly brighter or truer in white (still not accurate mind), but the poor black levels and contrast really do get to me.

Things just don't pop as much, and you do notice the grey blacks all the time. Especially on any night time photography or films, adverts, trailers etc. Poor blacks imo are much worse than poor whites. Which is why I'd always pick plasma over LCD.

Its very comparable..

I still think the 4s is a lil sharper(especially text), but the one x screen is more vibrant without going really vibrant like the amoled.

Also, 4s screen seem to be a lil bit washed out compare to the One X. Black level seem to be better than the 4s also.

I'm not really sold on the GS3 screen wise till I make the comparison, i have a feeling it will fall a lil short compare to the 4s/one x...but I want it for its other superior features.

I'm very picky about screens..thats why I still have the best black level plasma currently.

Cipherr

The problem with that comparison is that they used the international version of the One X with the 45nm Tegra 3, not the 28nm Snapdragon S4 that AT&T has.

what the hell? why is there different versions? Can I get the AT&T one without being in US?

The GS3 will get a bump in battery rating when the US version with the S4 is reviewed for the US. Remember the US GS3 will use the same chipset as the OneX does, and when it goes from a quad core to a dual core S4, expect a second GS3 battery endurance picture to go with the three above.

And just like the Onex International to OneX AT&T, the battery life will improve.

Too much :(.... When I get the gs3 it will be my fifth upgrade, and then I plan on getting the whatever the next nexus is at the end of the year.

It's like a hobby

Please share :)

medrew

How much do you want for it?
I want an 8.9. It has a nightly CM9 and it's the perfect size, to me.

I somewhat agree with you about Samsung (as an Epic 4G owner) but I like their hardware and run custom ROMs anyway.

My 8.9 is already running CM9. I'd prefer to run an official rom though.
For some reason my CM9 install seems to lock up sometimes. Either the touchscreen becomes unresponsive or I come back and find it is looping what looks like the CM9 startup screen (which obviously drains the battery).

I'm installing the latest build later today so hopefully that fixes things.

Samsung in my mind makes the best hardware hands down. No question from me. But the rest of their efforts... makes me very nervous. It's why I've decided to pass on the S III and have gone with a One X. I'm willing to make the tradeoffs since I'm working on the plan of using the phone for 18 months. Samsung doesn't instil confidence in them supporting it beyond the next Android release, maybe HTC won't either but I have more faith in them. Trust is earnt and all that jazz.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The GS3 will get a bump in battery rating when the US version with the S4 is reviewed for the US. Remember the US GS3 will use the same chipset as the OneX does, and when it goes from a quad core to a dual core S4, expect a second GS3 battery endurance picture to go with the three above.

And just like the Onex International to OneX AT&T, the battery life will improve.

I thought the quad core was supposed to be more energy efficient? That's what many have been touting.

tokkun

maybe these forum people are right and Anandtech's measurements are wrong when they get a 0 reading when checking the black levels on the gnex? or maybe they just got defective units...

Or maybe their testing method is not representative of real-world use. If they are getting a reading of 0, they must be using a completely black screen in a darkroom, but no one actually uses their phone like that. It's not unreasonable to think that when the screen is displaying a mixture of blacks and other colors that there may be light leakage from the pixels that are turned on that causes the black pixels to emit some light.

I thought the quad core was supposed to be more energy efficient? That's what many have been touting.

Nvidia's Tegra quad core processor has a special low-power companion core that theoretically saves battery when the processor is not loaded. The S4 has the advantage of being manufactured on a more advanced silicon process. In practice, reviewers have seen better battery life with the S4 than the Tegra. In any case, the international GSIII uses a different quad core processor, so we can't necessarily assume the same relationship will hold.

longdi

Banned

how do you get that kind of pitch black?
when i tried showing a black image on gs2 in a dark room, i only get those oled blotches.

longdi

Banned
I don't know..when I compared them side by side..the gnex did look more grayish. the bezel doesn't blend in like the GS2.

and no, mine wasn't defective...

and where did you find Gnex Anantechs black level measurements? can't seem to find it....I saw one for the Nexus S..

It's like a hobby

Its very comparable..

I still think the 4s is a lil sharper(especially text), but the one x screen is more vibrant without going really vibrant like the amoled.

Also, 4s screen seem to be a lil bit washed out compare to the One X. Black level seem to be better than the 4s also.

I'm not really sold on the GS3 till I make the comparison, i have a feeling it will fall a lil short compare to the 4s/one x...but I want it for its other superior features.

I'm very picky about screens..thats why I still have the best black level plasma currently.

i love the colours of one x. compared to my gs2 and gnex, colours look rich and right!
i also love the one x when viewing a dark video like Prometheus or TDKR, you can discern details that amoled will have blackened out..

rozay

Banned
i love the colours of one x. compared to my gs2 and gnex, colours look rich and right!
i also love the one x when viewing a dark video like Prometheus or TDKR, you can discern details that amoled will have blackened out..
I can understand the gs2 since most of them are saturated as fuck because people like popping colors, but the gnex too?

I don't see any mention of the black levels in his nexus review? All you have to do is display a true black image on the screen to see that's not the case

Top Bottom