• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

sun-drop

That's bullshit, what you're saying. With the exception of the S II and the Note what has Samsung updated? They've got a pathetic track record (in particular since they are and want to be the Android market leader) especially since they had ICS code before anyone else.

Do you really think Samsung is going to give the S II and the Note the next Android update? Not a chance. They'e one and done their updates.

As an owner of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9... fuck Samsung. They're released the Tab 2 line with ICS but fucked over the previous release/
It's not exactly a new sentiment. Samsung has always been like this. They drop and roll onto the next line of products as quickly as they can. It's why they can stay 'nimble'.

It's a perfectly valid criticism. Samsung fails at servicing their customers.

Enjoy getting Samsung'd. I've learnt me lesson.

it's not bullshit at all...i've had a S2 since it's launch day and there where roms from samsung avail through sam smobile/xda ALL the time ....

how they supported other phones ..well i don't actually care .. i had a htc desire before that. but it's clear the international S2 got LOADS of rom support.

galaxy tab 10.1 on the other hand ...i'm STILL waiting for ICS ..

but yeh ... i stll think it's pretty weaksauce a reviewer going as far as to list potential slack updates as a actual neg bullet point. esp when the thing launches with 4.0.4

how many phones that aren't a nexus launch with the absolute cutting edge version? few enough for sammy to get props at least.

and anyways ... reviews shouldn't contain guestimates like that ..who the fuck is to say how well HTC will keep the One X or S up to date?

hey guys,

Any recommendations for One X accessories?

EDIT: fuck it. I just placed an order for a One X :D

Diztronic tpu case. Perfect fit and slim plus its cheap on Amazon and come with a screen protector!

Also skinomi screen protector is good cause its cover the whole screen and its 99 cents on Amazon.

If you don't want a case go for the Ghostarmor wrap.

if im buying the phone outright should i go for a $400 nexus or $800 s3?

S3 all the way.

Does the One X have a Siri-like app? Because then you can show it off to strangers by saying, "Talk, but don't touch."

I should ask one of the mods to put it as a tag ;)

Diztronic tpu case. Perfect fit and slim plus its cheap on Amazon and come with a screen protector!

Also skinomi screen protector is good cause its cover the whole screen and its 99 cents on Amazon.

If you don't want a case go for the Ghostarmor wrap.

Thanks.

I'm not a big fan of silicon covers they kill the beauty of the device. Maybe if there's a sleek leather case?

I should ask one of the mods to put it as a tag ;)

Thanks.

I'm not a big fan of silicon covers they kill the beauty of the device. Maybe if there's a sleek leather case?

The TPU case is actually sleek..especially if you get the clear matte one.

Also, seem like there's a delay on shipments of the S3. Seem like Samsung is doing it purposely to build up more hype...

Would £32 a month with no uprfront (UK) be a good deal for this? Considering taking the plunge and was poached today but want to see if i can get a better offer

when is tmo getting this? i can't with sprint. i'm with my bro and he owes them close to $400 in bills Lulz. getting out of this before i can't.

Probably weasel in with my mom. 2GB is fine. i don't use the net much on my phone anyways and i want to taste that 4G here anyways.

nib95

Banned
Would £32 a month with no uprfront (UK) be a good deal for this? Considering taking the plunge and was poached today but want to see if i can get a better offer

That's a great deal, depending on what you get for the £32. Minutes, texts, data and contract length?

nib95

Banned
3 are doing 2000mins, 5000 texts and Unlimited* internet for £34 which is pretty good depending on what 3's fair usage policy is.

Amazing deal...except it's 3. Which from my experience has pap signal coverage. Unless it's improved a lot over the last couple of years.

Amazing deal...except it's 3. Which from my experience has pap signal coverage. Unless it's improved a lot over the last couple of years.

Luckily for me, my 2 year contract with orange runs out on my birthday at the end of July so I should be picking the S3 up and getting an amazing deal on minutes. In order to keep my cutsom, orange are going to have to offer better than the best deal at the time so if 3 are still doing this deal, orange would have to step it up and do the same for cheaper. I don't even need 2000 minutes as I get 500 now and rarely, if ever, go over.

For reference, the contract I'm on now is 500 mins, unlimited texts, 500mb data for £30 or so.

nib95

Banned
Luckily for me, my 2 year contract with orange runs out on my birthday at the end of July so I should be picking the S3 up and getting an amazing deal on minutes. In order to keep my cutsom, orange are going to have to offer better than the best deal at the time so if 3 are still doing this deal, orange would have to step it up and do the same for cheaper. I don't even need 2000 minutes as I get 500 now and rarely, if ever, go over.

For reference, the contract I'm on now is 500 mins, unlimited texts, 500mb data for £30 or so.

Damn. Sounds awesome if they do match it.

I'm currently with Vodafone on £35 (or £37, forget which) for 1200mins, Unlimited texts and 1GB data. That's on an 18monther. Hoping they'll put me on these new S3 (2GB data) deals for the same price.

That's a great deal, depending on what you get for the £32. Minutes, texts, data and contract length?

2000 mins unlimited data and text. with T-Mobile btw... i'm really tempted unless T-mobile have any horror stories? i've got the galaxy s on vodaphone and i'm paying more than that so it would be an obvious jump, but i'm quite happy with vodaphones service

edit: he didn't mention it but i imagine 24 months

Outsanity

3 are doing 2000mins, 5000 texts and Unlimited* internet for £34 which is pretty good depending on what 3's fair usage policy is.

Does that full under 3's "All you can eat" tariff? In which case the unlimited internet is truly unlimited. Was using this a while back on 3, it's really great and you get fast speeds because it never uses 2G, problem being that often this also means getting no signal.

twofold

Another option for UK folks. Buy the phone unlocked and use a giff-gaff payg sim (http://giffgaff.com/index/offer). Their packages are pretty awesome.

£10 a month for 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet (no fair usage policy - use as much internet as you like). They piggyback off the o2 network. If you use mobile internet a lot, giff-gaff really can't be beaten.

Does that full under 3's "All you can eat" tariff? In which case the unlimited internet is truly unlimited. Was using this a while back on 3, it's really great and you get fast speeds because it never uses 2G, problem being that often this also means getting no signal.

Yes it the Three One Plan, completely unlimited data.

Question. I'm thinking about getting the t-mobile version of this phone. The only thing is that I might be living abroad during my contract in 8 or so months. Will I be able to unlock (not interested in rooting yet) it pretty easily to use it on other services. Or would be getting something like the galaxy nexus be a better choice.

longdi

Banned
the s3 has launched here, tried the demo sets and here are my impressions

-it looks better than the pictures in my hands but it also does not have the premium feel and look i am expecting from samsung flagship
-it does look modern and make s2 feels like a brick!
-it would look better if the amoled panel is matches the bezel shape, the rectangular shaped panel sitting inside the oval bezel looks out of place. steve jobs would not approve it!
-the screen is tapered at the ends just like one x. perfect for chrome tabs switching!
-pentile screen is noticeable. brighter than gnex but not as sharp as one x. the 'o's in google you can spot the jaggier edges. when you enter username/passwords in text boxes, you can see jaggies in those tiny text.
-text have ghosting when you fast scroll up and down. the screen refresh rate feels slower than gs2
-screen does not look any better than gnote imo.
-camera is fastest!
-the phone is fastest! scrolling through widget heavy home screens still feel very smooth. the type of smoothness is not just correct animation settings, but you can feel the processors kicking ass!

I could go for one of these. Right now. But I won't be getting a new phone for another two years. Dang. Happy with what I have as long as it works, I'll keep telling myself ;)

the s3 has launched here, tried the demo sets and here are my impressions

-it looks better than the pictures in my hands but it also does not have the premium feel and look i am expecting from samsung flagship
-it does look modern and make s2 feels like a brick!
-it would look better if the amoled panel is matches the bezel shape, the rectangular shaped panel sitting inside the oval bezel looks out of place. steve jobs would not approve it!
-the screen is tapered at the ends just like one x. perfect for chrome tabs switching!
-pentile screen is noticeable. brighter than gnex but not as sharp as one x. the 'o's in google you can spot the jaggier edges. when you enter username/passwords in text boxes, you can see jaggies in those tiny text.
-text have ghosting when you fast scroll up and down. the screen refresh rate feels slower than gs2
-screen does not look any better than gnote imo.
-camera is fastest!
-the phone is fastest! scrolling through widget heavy home screens still feel very smooth. the type of smoothness is not just correct animation settings, but you can feel the processors kicking ass!

Dammit I knew it the screen wouldn't be that great. Plus there are people saying that the black is like the black on gnex which is grayish.

Is there a pinkish tint or any kind of tint?

torontoml

I have an original Galaxy S that I got about a year ago, not knowing anything about smart-phones and that the S II was coming out a few months later.

I want to upgrade my phone, to an S III. And as the preorders went live today with Telus I want to do it very soon, but I noticed that it is only the dual core model, will this have much effect on the phones performance longevity if I don't plan on upgrading again for another 3 years?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The SIII will be coming from all Canadian Carriers come june 20:

It’s now official. Samsung Canada has issued a press release stating that the Samsung Galaxy S III will be available to Canadians on June 20th. Many carriers, like Rogers and TELUS, have gone live with pre-order of this Android 4.0 powered device, but here’s a bit more info on specific model numbers:

Samsung states that “The GALAXY S III will be available for purchase in Canada starting on June 20, 2012. Samsung is pleased to be working with all of the leading wireless providers in Canada, to give our customers a choice of service provider. The SGH-i747 variation of the GALAXY S III will be available from Bell Mobility, Virgin Mobile, SaskTel, TELUS and Rogers Wireless. The SGH-iT999 model will be available from Videotron, Wind and Mobilicity.”

So here’s the deal: the two handsets will have identical 1.5Ghz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 chips, but the Rogers/Bell/TELUS/Virgin version will be LTE-capable whereas the Wind/Videotron/Mobilicity version will have that portion of the baseband disabled (it will be compatible up to 42Mbps over DC-HSPA+). Both variations will come with 2GB RAM and 16GB of internal storage, but the LTE models will have the option (presumably at a later date) of a 32GB model. Yes, you read that right: 2GB RAM! Hit the break for the full specs:

Processor:
- Snapdragon S4 Dual Core 1.5 GHz Qualcomm MSM8960 Chipset
- OS (Shipping): ICS 4.0.4
- Data: LTE (SGH-i747 variation) and HSPA+ 42 (SGH-iT999 variation)
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Dimensions: 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm
- Weight: 133g
- Memory: 16/32GB internal memory (SGH-i747)/ 16GB internal memory (SGH-iT999)
- Expandable microSD up to 32GB
- Display: 4.8 HD Super AMOLED 1280×720 (306ppi)
- Connectivity: NFC, Bluetooth 4.0, DLNA, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n, MHL Video Out
- Camera: 8MP Rear-facing, 1.9MP Front-facing
- Battery: 2100 mAh
Other:
- TouchWiz with Motion UX
- S Beam
- AllShare Play enhance functionality
- MP3/ACC+/WAV audio player
- DivX/Xvid/MP4/WMV/H.263/ H.264 Video Player

Everything else looks to be the same as the international variant. Sure, it’s a bit disappointing that we won’t be getting any Exynos Quad love in Canada, but as the benchmarks show in our One X review, Qualcomm’s Snapdragon S4 chip is a winner.

So 2 gigs of ram, or importing and getting the Exynos...
What's the better choice?

I am lucky enough to get the International Version and since I don't have to pay for it, just buy the American versions if needed!

Win-Win

TimeKillr

Gah. I'm with Fido. I want to switch to Rogers (also for one of their kickass couple plans).

I want to reserve a GS3 but I can't yet because I'm not a Rogers subscriber. :( Hopefully I can go to a store and get that sorted out or something.

Socreges

Banned

Can we go over the detailed differences between the dual-core domestic and the quad-core international?

What is the advantage of LTE?
What is the advantage of quad-core over dual-core?
Does the dual-core model have more RAM than the quad-core?
Any other differences or are they identical otherwise?

Strongly leaning toward importing the quad-core now.

Can we go over the detailed differences between the dual-core domestic and the quad-core international?

What is the advantage of LTE?
What is the advantage of quad-core over dual-core?
Does the dual-core model have more RAM than the quad-core?
Any other differences or are they identical otherwise?

Strongly leaning toward importing the quad-core now.

LTE is faster data, way faster
if you play games quadcore might be better?
so far the dualcore S4 has 2gig of ram compare to the quadcore.
everything else seems the same.

dayam if japan and canada will be getting the S4 and 2gig of ram, then its almost certain the US will too...

The US version might actually be better than the international version because of the extra ram. Bloatware wise it can be removed, so no biggie.

The quadcore you won't really notice unless you play games, especially compare to the S4 which is a beast already. The extra ram will benefit everyday use. PLUS its LTE!!....If your area has LTE then there's really no reason to get a non LTE phone...its like staying with DSL while there's Cable internet available.

I guess I'll just wait for the local version then.

Socreges

Banned
Ah, I hadn't realized that the Exynos is just 1 GB RAM. Guess I'm back with the dual core again.

I'm not too concerned about playing games. More thinking about which phone (S4 or Exynos) will be better at running the latest software two years from now.

Ashhong

The S4 chip should be more than enough for 2 years. An extra GB of ram is just icing on the cake. What concerns me more is the battery life of the Exynos quad vs the S4. Are there any comparisons between these 2 using the S3? I don't want a comparison of the Exynos vs One X

Toki767

The S4 chip should be more than enough for 2 years. An extra GB of ram is just icing on the cake. What concerns me more is the battery life of the Exynos quad vs the S4. Are there any comparisons between these 2 using the S3? I don't want a comparison of the Exynos vs One X

There won't be any until next month.

massoluk

Banned
If all is good in the world, I would be pre-ordering Quardcore Galaxy S3 with 2GB Ram with future proof band compatible support with all networks (T-MO, AT&T). Alas, life is not fair or balanced.

T-MO, hurry up. I'm dying here.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
2gbs of ram and the s4 does sound like the best version. i think i might wind mobile this one.

any opinions on wind btw?

battery life on the one x s2 fair quite well with the exynos GS3 and the GS3 has a bigger battery. So battery life shouldn't be an issue with the S4.

so is it safe to say all US carriers will have the 2GB ram model?

Maybe all the model with the S4 will have the 2GB.

but the T-mobile might not get the S4, it might get the quadcore with compatible band.

this all rumors though.

Top Bottom