• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

rozay

Banned
It would be hilariously bad if the versions with 2GB ram have the same over agressive backgrounded app killing as the exynos version :/

It would be hilariously bad if the versions with 2GB ram have the same over agressive backgrounded app killing as the exynos version :/

At least the hardware is there...custom roms will take care of that.

The one recent 1.85 update improved it slightly....will probably be the case with the GS3. Updates and mod will help it out..

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
2GB of RAM is all I've been asking for. I've been considering the Galaxy Nexus as my next smartphone but I can't anymore.

I can see an Exynos quad-core version with 2GB of RAM being announced down the line.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
2GB of RAM is all I've been asking for. I've been considering the Galaxy Nexus as my next smartphone but I can't anymore.

I can see an Exynos quad-core version with 2GB of RAM being announced down the line.

i was in the exact same boat. the s3 was too similar to the nexus until the 2gb ram boost. the nexus is still a good buy but im willing to splurge a little now.

more and more people are getting the GS3..and more and more people are saying that they notice the pentile screen....

I knew it all those reviews are too good to be true...

nib95

Banned
more and more people are getting the GS3..and more and more people are saying that they notice the pentile screen....

I knew it all those reviews are too good to be true...

Who's more and more people? I've counted like one or two? To be honest, I think Mobile Review said it best. If you're looking for it, you'll find it. But it'll be a mix of placebo or viewing scrutiny that is well beyond the norm.

rozay

Banned
Who's more and more people? I've counted like one or two? To be honest, I think Mobile Review said it best. If you're looking for it, you'll find it. But it'll be a mix of placebo or viewing scrutiny that is well beyond the norm.
as someone who's been reading that site for years, they have a reason to give favorable impressions of Samsung products. Same with any "first look" article published by sites before release on products from major companies.

It's slightly noticeable on a high DPI screen (nowhere near as bad as 800x480 pentile screens), what matters is if it bothers you or not.

xda forum not here.

some are experiencing some kind of tint too..

Ecto311

Any idea if the US and Canadian versions will have the physical button on the front like the iphone? That would be a seller for me. Its so hard in the morning to find the top tab button on the one x.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Any idea if the US and Canadian versions will have the physical button on the front like the iphone? That would be a seller for me. Its so hard in the morning to find the top tab button on the one x.
So far, seems like it for the two Canadians versions.

Toki767

The US has never had an Android phone with a physical home button. It's weird. Like Apple has some US only patent on it or something.

Shin is the refrigerador of android.

LOL..oh wait..eh? what do that mean?

as someone who's been reading that site for years, they have a reason to give favorable impressions of Samsung products. Same with any "first look" article published by sites before release on products from major companies.

It's slightly noticeable on a high DPI screen (nowhere near as bad as 800x480 pentile screens), what matters is if it bothers you or not.

yeah I don't care about article reviews, I'm more concern about other peoples hand-on experiences and my own.

I'm not crapping about the pentile, I just believe Samsung could have done better for its halo device..everything else seem awesome to me.

And I don't believe there excuse of pentile screen last longer....

yanhero

Diztronic tpu case. Perfect fit and slim plus its cheap on Amazon and come with a screen protector!

Also skinomi screen protector is good cause its cover the whole screen and its 99 cents on Amazon.

If you don't want a case go for the Ghostarmor wrap.

S3 all the way.

I know money is no object for you, but for the average person, I would find it hard to justify paying twice as much for the S3.

I know money is no object for you, but for the average person, I would find it hard to justify paying twice as much for the S3.

gs3 is not really twice as much..

gnex is $399 and a gs3 cost like $692 international version at launch, it will only get cheaper....Even negri electronic thinks the price will go down 50 bucks after the hype goes down.

plus you can always wait to be locally available and be subsidize by the carrier, something that you can't do with the gnex.

Toki767

i think Toki767 means a physical home button flanked by capacitive menu/back buttons.

lots of Androids have multiple physical buttons in the USA.

Yeah, the US Galaxy phones have always had the 4 capacitive buttons. Maybe Samsung might be thinking of standardizing their design worldwide this time.

saunderez

Well my carrier finally put them up on their website after the Australian conference this morning so I've ordered mine. Upgrading from a SGS2 going to donate it to my old man to stop him from buying a $99 piece of crap.

yanhero

gs3 is not really twice as much..

gnex is $399 and a gs3 cost like $692 international version at launch, it will only get cheaper....Even negri electronic thinks the price will go down 50 bucks after the hype goes down.

plus you can always wait to be locally available and be subsidize by the carrier, something that you can't do with the gnex.

Yes, but the guy asked "if im buying the phone outright should i go for a $400 nexus or $800 s3?"

tino

Banned
I consider the Galaxy Nexus in the generation between S2 and S3, and "2.5 generation" flagship phone. Currently it has much better cost to performance value than other Android phones.

It's even hard to find a Chinese bootleg phone with better value.

Futureman

haven't followed too closely... but is there any speculation as to the design of the US versions?

looks like the Canadian version looks the same as the international... was that the same as the GS II... as in the US was the only place to have different exteriors?

zedge

haven't followed too closely... but is there any speculation as to the design of the US versions?

looks like the Canadian version looks the same as the international... was that the same as the GS II... as in the US was the only place to have different exteriors?

Canada had the other versions of the s2 also. Rogers and Telus had carrier specific, while Bell had the standard international one. Looks like that may change this time though.

Went to pick my S3 up today and found out that NZ customs, in their infinite wisdom, decided to hold the countries supply of S3s for an extra 4 days for no reason so I probably won't get mine til next week now. Fucking bullshit.

Ephemeris

What are the specs of the t-mobile model?
Tmonews are saying they're the same specs

I don’t know the Canadian national anthem but if I did, I’d be singing it right now as Samsung Mobile Canada just confirmed the North American specs for the SGH-?999 aka Galaxy S III device. T-Mobile will receive a HSPA+ 42Mbps model, billed as the SGH-iT999 for our friends to the north and just SGH-T999 here in Magenta-land. Furthermore, Samsung Mobile Canada seems to confirm our intel for June 20th availability of the Galaxy S III.

So the specs, that’s what you really want to know right? The quad-core Exynos processor has been dropped in favor of the dual-core 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 processor, though you’ll be given 2GB of RAM giving you some extra bounce in your step. The rest of the specs match up with everything else we’ve seen thus far: 4.8″ Super AMOLED 720p screen, 8 megapixel rear camera, 1.9megapixel front facing camera and a 2100mAh battery.

On a side note, this press release doesn’t show a 32GB variant of the SGH-iT999, which is different from our intel regarding T-Mobile’s upcoming launch. However, the 16GB model has expandable microSD memory for 32Gb of storage. We’ll just have to wait and see what the real deal is as we wait for T-Mobile to drop their own press release.

Hit the full press release below for all the details as just about everything here should line right up with T-Mobile’s own variant of the Galaxy S III.

I don't need 2GB's of Ram. But i'll fucking take it.

irG2kMg4qnvIS.gif

Ephemeris

The SIII will be coming from all Canadian Carriers come june 20:
Data: LTE (SGH-i747 variation) and HSPA+ 42 (SGH-iT999 variation)
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Dimensions: 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm
Weight: 133g
Memory: 16/32GB internal memory (SGH-i747)/ 16GB internal memory (SGH-iT999)

A friendly reminder:
SGH-i747= AT&T
SGH-T999 = T-Mobile

Screen-Shot-2012-05-18-at-9.26.35-AM.png

Dammit guys, I was just in Toronto! :/

So the general consensus is that GS3 is the phone to get now? Is the phone still pentaband with LTE disabled?

Also, is the One X pentaband too?

One X is quadband, and i would guess that only the SGH-T999 variant of the NA GS3 will be pentaband.

torontoml

I'm working at an iron ore mine, so everything turns black after awhile, does anyone know if dirt has a hard time sticking to these plastic bodies? Specifically the white one. That is the one I'm considering the most but I have some concerns that it will get quite dirty after awhile.

Also telus has the 32gb version available for pre-order as well, can it be assumed that it will be releasing the same day? Is there any reason to get that one, I can just by a card for extra memory if I need it right?

So Three's £34/month deal for 2000 minutes, 5000 texts and All you can eat data with no upfront cost was pretty good. They promised me the S3 for tomorrow (1st June). But the release date is today (or was it yesterday?).

As a loyal customer for 2 years I refuse this insult. I should be getting it day ONE. Nothing they can do about that, they said except as way of an apology offer me the same deal for £28/month. Pretty preeeeetty preeeeeetty good.

Doopliss

So Three's £34/month deal for 2000 minutes, 5000 texts and All you can eat data with no upfront cost was pretty good. They promised me the S3 for tomorrow (1st June). But the release date is today (or was it yesterday?).

As a loyal customer for 2 years I refuse this insult. I should be getting it day ONE. Nothing they can do about that, they said except as way of an apology offer me the same deal for £28/month. Pretty preeeeetty preeeeeetty good.

Well played, that's a great deal!

demented

Came out here (some resellers imported it that is) week ago, 720 euros.
I'm gonna wait until my birthday in november for price to drop until 500 or less and then buy it unless something better comes along or gets unannounced, but it is looking preeeetty good and want it badly :)

Toki767

Everyday I wake up hoping to get concrete information on the US launch. It seems like the US carriers aren't making a big deal about android phones anymore.

longdi

Banned
Dammit I knew it the screen wouldn't be that great. Plus there are people saying that the black is like the black on gnex which is grayish.

Is there a pinkish tint or any kind of tint?

the blacks are fine but at maximum brightness, it did not look inky blacks. it is definitely the brightest amoled screen i seen that does not look burnt out.

as for the tint, i chose 'natural' color and held it side ways, it is majorly improved over s2, there is some kind of colored tint, cant tell if it is just the reflection of the surroundings, but whites did appear almost whitish at extreme angles.

my further thoughts on the pentile panel, imo the difference with the one x is like seeing s-video 480i against component 480p, there is that bit more jaggies and color bleed(though this may be due to amoled nature, idk). it is noticeable once you compare both phones side by side.

Top Bottom