• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Nemesis_

Just picked one of these up yesterday. They launched in Australia yesterday which is cool.

Any one got good recommendations for cases and/or any other cool accessories? Or is it too soon?

soultron

Banned
Guess I'm going to have to wait to get mine. Telus is forcing a pretty bogus plan + 3-year contract for pre-orders.

I have 18 months to go on my contract and I get tonnes of stuff (6GB data, evngs+wknds free after 5, 350 local anytime minutes, unlimited texting, etc. etc.) for $60/month. I'm not ditching that plan. I'll just buy the thing for the no-contract price.

I pray that I don't have to pay their bullshit old device buyout price. My Galaxy S Fascinate barely works as is.

Socreges

Banned
Guess I'm going to have to wait to get mine. Telus is forcing a pretty bogus plan + 3-year contract for pre-orders.

I have 18 months to go on my contract and I get tonnes of stuff (6GB data, evngs+wknds free after 5, 350 local anytime minutes, unlimited texting, etc. etc.) for $60/month. I'm not ditching that plan. I'll just buy the thing for the no-contract price.

I pray that I don't have to pay their bullshit old device buyout price. My Galaxy S Fascinate barely works as is.
With Telus? Mind telling me how you got that deal? Not to say I could get close to the same, but I'm looking to squeeze a bit more out of Rogers when I renew for three years since they've squeezed so much out of me.

Also, is the "etc. etc." just voicemail, call display?

Socreges

Banned
Came out here (some resellers imported it that is) week ago, 720 euros.
I'm gonna wait until my birthday in november for price to drop until 500 or less and then buy it unless something better comes along or gets unannounced, but it is looking preeeetty good and want it badly :)
Something will get announced. So then you can wait another 6 months for that. But then something else will get announced within that timespan. So you can wait for that, too. And so on.

With Telus? Mind telling me how you got that deal? Not to say I could get close to the same, but I'm looking to squeeze a bit more out of Rogers when I renew for three years since they've squeezed so much out of me.

Sounds like its just a combination of retention offers. Pretty good deal for 60 bucks if voicemail call display is added. I could wrangle up a deal like that between 50 and 60 as well but probably a bit more expensive for better features...

pr0cs

As much as I wanted a 'google phone' the SGS3 looks tempting.
THough all those rumors of multiple google phones released in November with multiple manufacturers makes the decision much harder.

soultron

Banned

Here's my plan details, copied directly from my billing info:

Code:
Plan
Rate Plan:	 Voice 30 - Unltd msg
Cost per month	$30.00/mo.
Included with your plan
Your service commitment	Yes

Change your rate plan
Add-ons

FIM $15 - Free 3 yrs	$0.00/mo.
International Voice Roaming	$0.00/mo.
Intern'l Roam Data Block	$0.00/mo.
Can Fav # $15 - Free 3 yrs	$0.00/mo.
HSPA/CDMA 6 GB LYTY Data 30-BB	$30.00/mo.
PKG12 $12 - Free 3 yrs	$0.00/mo.

Sounds like its just a combination of retention offers. Pretty good deal for 60 bucks if voicemail call display is added. I could wrangle up a deal like that between 50 and 60 as well but probably a bit more expensive for better features...

Yeah, it was all basically retention stuff. I said I wanted an Android at the end of my contract but that Telus didn't offer the one I was eyeing. The retention guy got on the line shortly after and said stuff along the lines of, "I'll give you more data than you'll ever need, an employee talk plan, and a host of other stuff you said you hate paying for for free. $60 before taxes, sound good?"

I got my GalS Fascinate for $0, I believe, it just meant that I had to sign another 3-year contract. :I

The only shit thing, I'm noticing now, is that the data is HSPA rather than 3G.

Ocho

HSPA is the evolution of 3G (3G is pretty slow by today's standards). People keep calling it 3G because of fail.

Socreges

Banned
Here's my plan details, copied directly from my billing info:

Code:
Plan
Rate Plan:	 Voice 30 - Unltd msg
Cost per month	$30.00/mo.
Included with your plan
Your service commitment	Yes

Change your rate plan
Add-ons

FIM $15 - Free 3 yrs	$0.00/mo.
International Voice Roaming	$0.00/mo.
Intern'l Roam Data Block	$0.00/mo.
HSPA/CDMA 6 GB LYTY Data 30-BB	$30.00/mo.
PKG12 $12 - Free 3 yrs	$0.00/mo.

Yeah, it was all basically retention stuff. I said I wanted an Android at the end of my contract but that Telus didn't offer the one I was eyeing. The retention guy got on the line shortly after and said stuff along the lines of, "I'll give you more data than you'll ever need, an employee talk plan, and a host of other stuff you said you hate paying for for free. $60 before taxes, sound good?"

I got my GalS Fascinate for $0, I believe, it just meant that I had to sign another 3-year contract. :I

So no voicemail or call display?

I've previously just asked directly to speak to retention and then told them that I was interested in another plan with another company. They got me a better plan, but it wasn't nearly as generous as yours was. I wonder if my chances would be better if I call in and tell whoever answers that I'm looking to quit and then have them transfer me to retention.

Could also just be luck, of course. My girlfriend is with Telus and got a very stingy person when negotiating her plan. But she's also not very good at bartering, so who knows.

I've got 200 minutes, evenings at 6pm (+w/es), unlimited texting, 500 MB, call display, voicemail...... $60. Would definitely like to bump up my minutes and data.

snoopen

Bought today, lady in the shop activated. Quite excited to play at home later.. it's so fast and big compared to my 3GS. Loving it so far.

Apparently the UK introduced a 3 year residency requirement on mobile contracts since I signed up with O2?

As I spent the last 8 years living in university accommodation (hence with a bank account registered to a commercial address) I can't get passed the credit check part on any of the online stores for the mobile operators. FFS!

sun-drop

super impressed with this launch ... ok well the supply of blue is a bit of a stuff up ..but ..

here in NZ it's avail on all three major telcos ..and a ton of electronics retailers ...all resulting in a price war basically .... being queens birthday weekend right now has helped no end.

got a pre order down on a blue one today for NZ$839 , outright ..... retail here is NZ$1049

so good.

by the time i sell my S2 i reckon this upgrade will cost me peanuts.

JonnyBrad

Apparently the UK introduced a 3 year residency requirement on mobile contracts since I signed up with O2?

As I spent the last 8 years living in university accommodation (hence with a bank account registered to a commercial address) I can't get passed the credit check part on any of the online stores for the mobile operators. FFS!

You can still get one but you have to pay a guaranteed amount upfront afaik. May not work with some of the online shops. But you should be able to if you walk in store. (Carphone Warehouse will usually match you to online deals anyway)

f0nz0

So has there been any news on the Verizon release? I'm sittin on an old and flabby fascinate with a cracked screen :( (though it does have aokp milestone 5 on it:) I neeeeed a new phone, been tempted to just go Gnex but the allure of a bigger screen keeps me at bay..

Yup, plus I heard the you can't install apps on the external SD card....not sure how true that is.

that's true.

Google wants to move towards unified storage and MTP instead of using UMS, so the bulk of internal storage is available for apps instead of the old GB and earlier way of having the internal storage partitioned into an app specific space plus an internal 'sdcard'

this is better for widgets as well as widgets can't be loaded from an 'sdcard' even if it's really just an internal partition.

i'm sure custom roms will have workarounds...

even if that were true, 16gbs for just apps sounds pretty good i think

everything else could go on a 32gb sd

For you it may sound good, but for some it might not. Apps are becoming larger and larger.
Thats why there's a choice of bigger internal storage.

Plus, you don't get all of 16gig..you get like 11gig or something(someone correct me with accurate #).

Some people don't change there phone that often. And what if in a year or so some app starts getting as large as 2gig..

soultron

Banned
So no voicemail or call display?

I've previously just asked directly to speak to retention and then told them that I was interested in another plan with another company. They got me a better plan, but it wasn't nearly as generous as yours was. I wonder if my chances would be better if I call in and tell whoever answers that I'm looking to quit and then have them transfer me to retention.

Could also just be luck, of course. My girlfriend is with Telus and got a very stingy person when negotiating her plan. But she's also not very good at bartering, so who knows.

I've got 200 minutes, evenings at 6pm (+w/es), unlimited texting, 500 MB, call display, voicemail...... $60. Would definitely like to bump up my minutes and data.

I do get call display, 10 VM message, and a My5 thing. It's all free in there.

Honestly, just pretend you're a power user. Spit some tech terms. Usually you can overwhelm the retention person and they'll buckle. (Just don't be the dickbag who yells at the poor person.) My guy was pretty nice and went straight down to business. But Telus is known for its customer service to begin with.

The thing with Canadian TelCo providers is that you're going to get robbed unless you speak up for yourself. That's how I got a deal that I feel comfortable with. It's still not the greatest, but it's far from the highway robbery they try and stick you with when you activate on a 3-year, I'll tell you that much.

Socreges

Banned
I do get call display, 10 VM message, and a My5 thing. It's all free in there.

Honestly, just pretend you're a power user. Spit some tech terms. Usually you can overwhelm the retention person and they'll buckle. (Just don't be the dickbag who yells at the poor person.) My guy was pretty nice and went straight down to business. But Telus is known for its customer service to begin with.

The thing with Canadian TelCo providers is that you're going to get robbed unless you speak up for yourself. That's how I got a deal that I feel comfortable with. It's still not the greatest, but it's far from the highway robbery they try and stick you with when you activate on a 3-year, I'll tell you that much.
Aren't they able to see that I'm not necessarily a power user? [edit] I guess this is just a way of suggesting that I need it and will happily go elsewhere if they don't oblige me.

And I guess I should bone up on my tech terms. Any suggestions?
KuGsj.gif

And yeah, your plan is awesome. You're an inspiration, soultron.

massoluk

Banned
During the AT&T and Tmobile merger fiasco, although I'm against it, part of me wished it went through so we can get rid of the band BS.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Saw a commercial just now and the tagline was "designed for humans"

Jeebus

Design is growing on me tho

rozay

Banned
During the AT&T and Tmobile merger fiasco, although I'm against it, part of me wished it went through so we can get rid of the band BS.
The band BS won't exist later this year as T-Mo is converting its 2G 1900mhz towers to HSPDA, and we don't have to worry about at&t having a monopoly on GSM in the states as a result of the merger (for the time being at least) Not sure why people were so eager for it to go through.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-Teardown/9391/1#.T8kpij5YvFQ
Don't drop your phone guys, the glass is fused to the screen and both are fused to the magnesium frame.

That's one ugly ass phone.
I really don't like the way the rectangular screen sits in an oval on the face of white version, especially with a dark screen, but it's not specifically a fault of this phone, I think white iPhones and iPads look bad for the same reason as well.

The blue version is just a tragedy all around. Never put faux-metallic plastic on a $800 phone, anyone here who designs electronics in the future.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The band BS won't exist later this year as T-Mo is converting its 2G 1900mhz towers to HSPDA, and we don't have to worry about at&t having a monopoly on GSM in the states as a result of the merger (for the time being at least) Not sure why people were so eager for it to go through.

That won't be everywhere though. And the 1900 band isn't the most powerful either

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
The design has completely grown on me, especially when you see people holding it. It is a beautiful phone.
Yes, seeing it for real did it for me as well. Only thing I don't understand is the "samsung" branding on the front. Completely unnecessary when it's on the back and distracts way too much for one, other than that there's not enough space for the logo to be there, plain and simple.

So looking as though we're likely to get the S4 chip (With 2GB RAM, at least), how does the CPU and GPU of the S4 stack up against the Exynos Quad? Say, if they had the same amount of RAM.

menu > multitask

yup, no need to second guess where the menu button is located on apps.

it wasn't consistent with the Gnex...upper right hand corner or lower corner.

So looking as though we're likely to get the S4 chip (With 2GB RAM, at least), how does the CPU and GPU of the S4 stack up against the Exynos Quad? Say, if they had the same amount of RAM.

there's benchmark(hahah..benchmarks scores) that compares the One X s4 with 1 gig ram and the GS3, so that should be a good indication...

battery life with the S4 should be comparable if not better.

major plus is the LTE!!

rozay

Banned
yup, no need to second guess where the menu button is located on apps.

it wasn't consistent with the Gnex...upper right hand corner or lower corner.

there's benchmark(hahah..benchmarks scores) that compares the One X s4 with 1 gig ram and the GS3, so that should be a good indication...

battery life with the S4 should be comparable if not better.

major plus is the LTE!!
what wasn't consistent about it? if the app was updated to meet the 4.0+ app guidelines, the menu button will be in the top right. If not, it's in the bottom right for compatibility reasons.

what wasn't consistent about it? if the app was updated to meet the 4.0+ app guidelines, the menu button will be in the top left. If not, it's in the bottom right for compatibility reasons.

Um...its on the top right...see confusing already!!

so yeah...instead of using just 1 dedicated button.

look what happend to the one X ..it lacked the menu button, so every time the app doesn't meet the 4.0+ guideline, the menu button will appear as ugly 3 dot button that will take out screen real estate. Luckily there's a mod to make the multitask button as a menu button instead

Samsung made the right choice.

Top Bottom