• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

kehs

Banned
Menus buttons with no feedback as to whether they do anything or not, are bullshit.

Is there more options in there not? Let's find out! oh no...nothing there! Good Job.

It took me two weeks to find the advanced menu inside of wifi settings so I could set a static IP in GB.

Don't use shitty apps that haven't updated.

you act like only crappy apps don't update....

Menus buttons with no feedback as to whether they do anything or not, are bullshit.

Is there more options in there not? Let's find out! oh no...nothing there! Good Job.

It took me two weeks to find the advanced menu inside of wifi settings so I could set a static IP in GB.

you act like everybody has a galaxy nexus.

majority of the android phone still has the menu button

same as most android phone doesn't have onscreen buttons.

rozay

Banned
Um...its on the top right...see confusing already!!

so yeah...instead of using just 1 dedicated button.

look what happend to the one X ..it lacked the menu button, so every time the app doesn't meet the 4.0+ guideline, the menu button will appear as ugly 3 dot button that will take out screen real estate. Luckily there's a mod to make the multitask button as a menu button instead

Samsung made the right choice.
it was a typo. they're doing it to avoid the situation copernicus just described, and I can respect that because it's annoying as hell to have to press menu in every screen to find a ~secret~ menu in some apps.

kehs

Banned
you act like only crappy apps don't update....

you act like everybody has a galaxy nexus.

majority of the android phone still has the menu button

same as most android phone doesn't have onscreen buttons.

Menu button has been junk since the beginning, this is mostly LTTP bitching about it from me.

There's enough backward comparability support built into the OS to not leave those other devices behind, but Sammy launching their biggest phone with a menu button..... it's hampering the movement of having all the on screen information...on screen.

It's ironic because the initial intent of the menu button was to save on-screen space.

Ephemeris

Looks like the US design might be the same as the international for once?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/1/3057737/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-t-mobile-usa

yLrBN.gif

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Menu button has been junk since the beginning, this is mostly LTTP bitching about it from me.

There's enough backward comparability support built into the OS to not leave those other devices behind, but Sammy launching their biggest phone with a menu button..... it's hampering the movement of having all the on screen information...on screen.

It's ironic because the initial intent of the menu button was to save on-screen space.

agree to disagree.

yLrBN.gif

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The look still hasn't grown on me.

the thing that bother me with the physical button is that its position so low in the bottom...it just looks odd.

rozay

Banned
agree to disagree.

The look still hasn't grown on me.

the thing that bother me with the physical button is that its position so low in the bottom...it just looks odd.
the only thing I can think of that made them design the phone like that is carrier branding

dead @ that gif

Ephemeris

DFSFDFffadf.

I was (am!) really hoping Tmo would change the look. I'm not one of those "it's growning on me" peeps I've been reading about lately.

But for 2GB's of RAM & that S4, I'll stfu eventually

Doopliss

I've tweaked CM9 for my GS2 so that the menu button is replaced with multitasking and the action overflow menu is shown in apps. I much prefer having the (almost) instant access to the app switcher and, as Copernicus mentioned, not having to guess whether the menu button is used or not.

Wasn't sammy one of the first ones that change the superior back,menu,home,search order?

Samsung has best order

I've tweaked CM9 for my GS2 so that the menu button is replaced with multitasking and the action overflow menu is shown in apps. I much prefer having the (almost) instant access to the app switcher and, as Copernicus mentioned, not having to guess whether the menu button is used or not.

yeah, that extra 1/2 second to long press home is killer..

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
yeah, that extra 1/2 second to long press home is killer..

It is killer. Your mind goes from clicking every thing instantly, constantly moving to having to pause before you can take your next action. Click, click, click, click, pause, hold, wait, click, click. It is mind numbingly painful.

tokkun

It is killer. Your mind goes from clicking every thing instantly, constantly moving to having to pause before you can take your next action. Click, click, click, click, pause, hold, wait, click, click. It is mind numbingly painful.

I suppose that depends on how frequently you switch between open apps on your phone. For me, that is a very infrequent process

the popover for the onscreen menu button looks better than the unachored hardware menu button
http://i.imgur.com/fUsMF.png

http://i.imgur.com/8TUz9.jpg

I sense sacarsm in you...

Listen to Duarte {start from around the 10:45 min mark)

multitask isn't instant anyway. the additional time spent doing a long press doesn't even double the time. maybe it would be a valid point if that shit was actually quick.

Holding down the menu button searches on Samsung phones I thought.

it does.

rozay

Banned
multitask isn't instant anyway. the additional time spent doing a long press doesn't even double the time. maybe it would be a valid point if that shit was actually quick.
it does.
I'm pretty sure it is instant on the nexus if you disable softkey animations or have hardware as beastly as the S3

sun-drop

you can now get the s3 here in nz for NZ$799 ..... absolutely retardedly good deal ...is a no brainer at that price.

saw my mates white one at a party tonight, seriously the design is gorgeous.

i think a bunch of whiney reviewers expecting unibody got all miffed about it initially ... but seriously ... in hand, some how this phone with a massive 4.8" screen just disappears into yr palm.

i don't know what magic they pulled, but all the talk of infinity pools etc isn't too far off the mark, it's subtle no doubt ..but awesome design.

i have my S2 in one hand, and the s3 in the other ..and the s3 'feels' smaller ...even though i know it isn't. madness.

still holding out for the pebble blue one tho

tino

Banned
I like the hard/capacity button combo the best.

The home button should feel distinctly no matter which hand and how you hold the phone. Plus a hard button feels better than a capacity button.

The only problem I have with Samsung layout is that the back button should be on the left side. Every browser you use have the back button on the left most side, Samsung shouldn't go against the international convention.

The problem I have with modern large screen phones is that the power button is very hard to press. Google should build in a standard screen lock gesture on the notification menu.

Is there a third party gesture plugin I can install on ICS?

zedge

I wish I could switch the multitask soft button on my gnex for a settings button. I do miss it and rarely use multitasking.. Holding down settings like on the galaxy s phones would be fine.

some people are having pink tint issues on the screen,... crap why does it have to be true...

Some are also saying that some reviews are inaccurate about the outdoor performance.

Just got my HTC One X. I feel like a caveman!! This is my first smartphone (blackberry is not smart)

Played around a bit with it without a simcard. Now it's been updating fro 2 hours!! I hard restarted it, and still I get this update logo in the middle of the screen :p

Just got my HTC One X. I feel like a caveman!! This is my first smartphone (blackberry is not smart)

Played around a bit with it without a simcard. Now it's been updating fro 2 hours!! I hard restarted it, and still I get this update logo in the middle of the screen :p

Is your phone charging? If so, take the power cable off and the update should continue..

RELEASE THE BLUE MODEL ALREADY!!! Ahhhhhh. This is driving me nuts and my provider saying "We just don't know when the blue will be in stock" is even worse.

Awful Samsung. Awful.

markot

Banned
Hm, not really s3 specific, but is there a time difference between charging on usb or power cord >.>? Like is USB charging slower?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hm, not really s3 specific, but is there a time difference between charging on usb or power cord >.>? Like is USB charging slower?

USB Charging = A LOT SLOWER

Straight into the Wall = FAST

PS: Could we finally get a Verizon release date this week? All of my friends want to know! LoL

Top Bottom