• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, and US Cellular getting the SIII and the outer design remain unchanged, a first! S4 Snapdragron SoC with 2GB of RAM, just like the Canadian versions.

Where're you getting the 2GB of RAM from?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it..

Toki767

AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless, and US Cellular getting the SIII and the outer design remain unchanged, a first! S4 Snapdragron SoC with 2GB of RAM, just like the Canadian versions.

That is pretty major news. That also makes me hopeful that updates might actually be fairly timely when it comes to getting Jelly Bean.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Where're you getting the 2GB of RAM from?
It's written in the PR:

Powerful Performance

The Galaxy S III includes Android™ 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) with TouchWiz enhancements, a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 1.5 GHz dual core CPU and 2GB of internal RAM to provide high-speed performance enabling efficient and seamless multi-tasking. The dual-core processor offers competitive speeds and performance as leading quad-core processors without sacrificing valuable battery life. The brilliant 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED™ touchscreen display brings content to life, without compromising the device’s true pocketability. The expansive display is protected by Gorilla Glass 2.0 to guard against cracks and scratches and provide enhanced touchscreen responsiveness.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...five-carriers-in-the-us-beginning-this-month/

Now that the 2gb ram is official for the US.

And that people seem to get lag when touchwiz loads on the international version.

The US version might actually be better than the international version.

hahaha...my friend who just got the international version is actually thinking of returning it to get the US version.

Vic

If every U.S. carrier call the phone "Samsung Galaxy S3" and not any other bizarre name, I'll be impressed :D

Ephemeris

That's an iPhone owner's motto.

Free your mind ephemeris
I've worked with them for far too long. Rubbing off on me :(

we're all suffering together!!

At least I don't have to be jealous of the superior Sprint version with hardware KB. : D

rozay

Banned
*beaten*

wow...seem like streamline across all models....wow the developers will be happy!
Don't get too excited until we see the chipsets, it's not always that cut and dry especially since the hardware on all of these differs from the international version.

What's this about touchwiz lag?

Vic

Don't get too excited until we see the chipsets, it's not always that cut and dry especially since the hardware on all of these differs from the international version.

What's this about touchwiz lag?
Other than the cellular chipsets, I don't see where they'll differ.

rozay

Banned
Other than the cellular chipsets, I don't see where they'll differ.
that line of thinking didn't work out so well for the american GS1 and GS2 models, though to be fair 2 of the 3 GS2s were vastly different than the others.

If there aren't many differences, it'll be a huge win for samsung as it significantly reduces the work they have to put in rather than custom american models for each carrier.

that line of thinking didn't work out so well for the american GS1 and GS2 models, though to be fair 2 of the 3 GS2s were vastly different than the others.

If there aren't many differences, it'll be a huge win for samsung as it significantly reduces the work they have to put in rather than custom american models for each carrier.

that's probably the reason why the US doesn't have to wait 6 months after the international release, like what happened to the gs2.

streamline model for all carrier will be awesome for the developers and for the accessory makers.

big win for everybody.

Vic

The internals of the non-european/international GS1 and GS2 varied a lot. The GSIII so far is pretty tame in comparison.

thirty

Banned
But the current nexus will get jelly bean. And you have Roms vs official updates. The US version of the s3 isn't that much more powerful than the nexus... or is it?

But the current nexus will get jelly bean. And you have Roms vs official updates. The US version of the s3 isn't that much more powerful than the nexus... or is it?

um...the Gnex barely got 4.0.4 officially...took them long enough.

I had the GSM Gnex and now the One X with S4 dual core....the same one that will be on the GS3, plus it will have 2gig of ram.

So if the GS3 is better than the One X...the Gnex doesn't stand a chance.

my comparison between the One X vs the Gnex on the other thread.

Yes the one x is amazing.
In my opinion compare to the gnex.
Pros vs the gnex:
Screen - big big difference, more accurate color, brighter, white is much whiter, and way sharper. The pentile of the Gnex can't compare, its like dim or something. The GS3 pentile is much improved.

Camera - HUGE improvement too. The Gnex camera is a joke, the zero shutter lag is Fake because if you use it , you'll end up with pictures that are not focused. seriously the Gnex camera is a joke. The One X camera is as good if not better than the Iphone 4s.

Battery life - I was getting better battery life with the One X even before I put custom roms on it.

Speed - no contest here again. you can't even run live wallpaper on the Gnex without it lagging. I couldn't even play some 720p videos that I had, even the GS2 were able to play them. The Gnex does have a better default browser. Fixable on the One X though.

Sound - One X win again.

Reception - I'm getting better reception on the One X...and I tried every different radio on the Gnex....it might be cause of LTE.

The only thing advantage the gnex have is AOSP/AOKP.
Its pretty much gimp hardware wise.
People who says otherwise probably never even tried a different Android phone and too caught up thinking they will get the latest update.

and remember I had both phones, and actually compared them side by side and used them heavily.

The GS3 a lil better than the One X thats why I'm getting it.....

Ashhong

It always felt like that but I thought I was just imagining it out of impatience >_>

USB is max of 500 mA I believe. Depending on the phone, they usually charge at around 1000mA, so yea, USB is definitely slower.

Opening & keeping a lot of tabs in memory is almost all I'm asking for :(

How many tabs are we talking? Chrome keeps about 10 tabs in memory in my GS2 at all times. Maybe more, I usually close tabs when I see that many because I have no need for them.

Socreges

Banned
My BB9700 (2.5 years old) has 256MB of memory. The browser can't handle any image-intensive pages. Might be a problem with the OS, but either way it's gonna be nice to move onto such a beast.

Gonna fucking miss that physical keyboard, though. But the market has spoken. Flash over functionality. :(

My BB9700 (2.5 years old) has 256MB of memory. The browser can't handle any image-intensive pages. Might be a problem with the OS, but either way it's gonna be nice to move onto such a beast.

Gonna fucking miss that physical keyboard, though. But the market has spoken. Flash over functionality. :(

You won't miss it one bit after a few weeks. Swype >>> tiny physical keys.

zbeeb

It actually looks like samsung is getting their shit together re: US carriers. good to see you guys arent getting 5 different versions of the same phone!

Socreges

Banned
You won't miss it one bit after a few weeks. Swype >>> tiny physical keys.
I've used an iPhone for months (was in another country). How is Swype easier?

I literally have zero experience with Android phones.

Also, "tiny physical keys"? Tiny, I guess... but not so tiny that it's a problem at all... unless you've got fat fingers. I've never struggled with BB keyboards.

JonnyBrad

The lack of carrier shell customisation is fabulous news for consumers. Same cases/docks/accessories! Everyone in Europe has always thought the states were mad for their "Epic 4g Touch whizbang phone 2x +" Variations.

Hopefully HTC can play hardball with their next launches after the One X. Which is what they originally stated they wanted to do.

snoopen

yep, swype is heaps good. have been using it for a few days.

and i'm unconcerned, the australia model is only 1gb and i haven't seen it go above 700mb in ram even with majority of the apps i have open..

battery life is good, nearly 2 days with power saving on and moderate usage

JonnyBrad

The internals of the non-european/international GS1 and GS2 varied a lot. The GSIII so far is pretty tame in comparison.

Once Samsung gets 4g radios inside the Exynos (probably for the sgs4) it'll probably be a truly world phone.

Apple make a separate CDMA iphone atm don't they?

Top Bottom