• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Man I was set on the EVO4GLTE and while I still prefer that phone after reading thru as many reviews as I could comparing the two, the S3 having 2GB RAM is giving me pause.

The screen is what will ultimately decide what I go with in the end. I have a HTC One X and the screen still stuns me with its quality everyday. If the Samsung can come close to matching it I will switch over.

VanWinkle

I must say I'm insanely surprised all the carriers are getting it, and around the same time, and they all look the same. I will probably get this, since it's on Verizon. I love Windows Phone 7 (what I have now), but the app situation is not good, and my HTC Trophy as a phone is not good at all.

FireCloud

If every U.S. carrier call the phone "Samsung Galaxy S3" and not any other bizarre name, I'll be impressed :D

I would think all of the carriers would want to take advantage of the marketing that Samsung is going to have for the Samsung Galaxy S3 during the Olympics. If they rebranded the phone, that might confuse customers who want the "official phone of the 2012 Olympic games".

I'm tempted to preorder from Verizon but I think I'll wait until some initial impressions about battery life, stability, and signal strength are known.

tino

Banned
I must say I'm insanely surprised all the carriers are getting it, and around the same time, and they all look the same. I will probably get this, since it's on Verizon. I love Windows Phone 7 (what I have now), but the app situation is not good, and my HTC Trophy as a phone is not good at all.

I am only surprised Verizon is getting it. Motorola is getting fucked, big time. I am also very surprised there is not US announcement event Verizon just throw the preorder page up.

If all US models are getting 2GB memory then there is no way any phone come out thsi year can top it. Jesus phone confirmed!

So I'm on att and currently using an HTC one x. I'm quite fond of it but I've got a few lingering issues mainly with how poor multitasking is which it seems like having 2gb of ram would alleviate.

My question is does anyone know how much this will cost off contract? The one x was/is $550, a lot of money but not excessive for an off contract phone. If the s3 would be something similar I may just swap. However, if it's $700-800 ill just keep what I have.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Sprint version will have LTE and look like the rest: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...ith-LTE-radio-and-unlimited-data-plan_id30883

U.S. Cellular: http://www.phonearena.com/news/US-C...pre-orders-June-12-on-shelves-in-July_id30884,
http://social.uscellular.com/

Glorious Ownage said:
My question is does anyone know how much this will cost off contract? The one x was/is $550, a lot of money but not excessive for an off contract phone. If the s3 would be something similar I may just swap. However, if it's $700-800 ill just keep what I have.

The ATT version will probably be about 550. The international version (quad core) is about 650-700

tino

Banned
Sprint version will have LTE and look like the rest: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...ith-LTE-radio-and-unlimited-data-plan_id30883

U.S. Cellular: http://www.phonearena.com/news/US-C...pre-orders-June-12-on-shelves-in-July_id30884,

The ATT version will probably be about 550. The international version (quad core) is about 650-700

I don't know about this low. If US carriers price the S4 version this low they face the real problem of international buyers rush in and buy the phone for oversea use.

The S4 version has lower power consumption and 2 GB memory.

Cipherr

Damn US cellular getting it too, and timely. All the major carriers getting it. All 2GB, all look the same without retarded renames or retarded redesigns. Best Android phone launch ever. Really feel bad for the One X. Fantastic phone, but theres just no way right now.... Sprint even has the 32GB S3 as well, they say you can order it online, or choose the 16GB version.

DrFunk

I don't know about this low. If US carriers price the S4 version this low they face the real problem of international buyers rush in and buy the phone for oversea use.

The S4 version has lower power consumption and 2 GB memory.

Maybe, the CDMA version will be more. ATT's One X was only 550, for reference.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I am only surprised Verizon is getting it. Motorola is getting fucked, big time. I am also very surprised there is not US announcement event Verizon just throw the preorder page up.

If all US models are getting 2GB memory then there is no way any phone come out thsi year can top it. Jesus phone confirmed!
It's not a "if". ALL of them will have 2GB of RAM.

Vic

Damn US cellular getting it too, and timely. All the major carriers getting it. All 2GB, all look the same without retarded renames or retarded redesigns. Best Android phone launch ever. Really feel bad for the One X. Fantastic phone, but theres just no way right now.... Sprint even has the 32GB S3 as well, they say you can order it online, or choose the 16GB version.
Other than the LCD2 screen, the One X became obsolete overnight. Also, it has to be a first where the non-international version of a phone is arguably the best one.

Futureman

anyone post this?

"Sprint announces Galaxy S III for June 21st: $199.99 for 16GB, $249.99 for 32GB"

Wonder if Verizon will do their typical $299.99 for new smartphones? Don't see how they can if everyone else is cheaper.

If Verizon has a 32GB version for $249.99, I'll probably get that (unless I try it in the store and it feels too massive).

anyone post this?

"Sprint announces Galaxy S III for June 21st: $199.99 for 16GB, $249.99 for 32GB"

Wonder if Verizon will do their typical $299.99 for new smartphones? Don't see how they can if everyone else is cheaper.

If Verizon has a 32GB version for $249.99, I'll probably get that (unless I try it in the store and it feels too massive).

Verizon version is $199 for 16GB and $249 for 32GB

http://m.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii-preorders-start-june-6

From PR
Samsung Galaxy S III will be available online for pre-order starting June 6 at 7 a.m. ET at www.verizonwireless.com/galaxys3 and will be available in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online in the coming weeks.
The Samsung Galaxy S III will be available in 16 GB and 32 GB models for $199.99 and $249.99 respectively with a new two-year customer agreement. Customers will also have the choice of the Galaxy S III in two colors, Marble White or Pebble Blue.

DrFunk

Other than the LCD2 screen, the One X became obsolete overnight. Also, it has to be a first where the non-international version of a phone is arguably the best one.

I'd say the 2nd time. the NAM version of the One X was better than the international version as well.

I guess i'll go with sprint again. idk why. I guess i'm hoping one day their speed will be better.. lol. oh well. waiting for best buy to have this up. need to get my $50 gift card.

How will pre-orders work? I'll be eligible for an upgrade on June 8th... Is there any way I can reserve the Galaxy S III without paying the full retail price immediately?

Futureman

How will pre-orders work? I'll be eligible for an upgrade on June 8th... Is there any way I can reserve the Galaxy S III without paying the full retail price immediately?

are you on Verizon? If you are talking early upgrade, I was told they will process early upgrades ONE week early. So you should be fine.

Damn... think I'm gonna go with the S3. My early upgrade is tomorrow. Wonder when they will be available?

I really don't like TouchWiz, but a custom launcher should take care of that? And the S3 should be crazy popular in the custom ROM scene I suppose.

are you on Verizon? If you are talking early upgrade, I was told they will process early upgrades ONE week early. So you should be fine.

Damn... think I'm gonna go with the S3. My early upgrade is tomorrow. Wonder when they will be available?

I really don't like TouchWiz, but a custom launcher should take care of that? And the S3 should be crazy popular in the custom ROM scene I suppose.

Yeah, I'm on Verizon. It's been two years since I got my HTC Incredible.

damn, that's some amazing news there. makes the MS press conference look even worse in retrospect

Menu button has been junk since the beginning, this is mostly LTTP bitching about it from me.

There's enough backward comparability support built into the OS to not leave those other devices behind, but Sammy launching their biggest phone with a menu button..... it's hampering the movement of having all the on screen information...on screen.

It's ironic because the initial intent of the menu button was to save on-screen space.

hampering? are devs saying "well, fuck it, we don't need to update our menu shit because the GS3 has a menu button still" while ignoring everything else, like the Nexus and the One debacle?

Is this a popular opinion? I have the one x currently but am considering the alternative.

The one x seems to have a better screen and a build quality along with a better camera?

Where as the galaxy has more ram and a removable battery and sd card slot.

Anything I'm missing? Storage space doesn't concern me at all I don't game on my phone or store large videos or music collections so 16gbs is plenty. I've also never kept a spare battery as I'm never far from a source of power.

So with that in mind it seems like the 2gb of ram is what I'd be gaining in my case.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? I don't game on my phone so I don't really know how appreciable any spec boost will be. I do like the s3 notification light. I find the s voice gimmicky never used siri on my 4s. Just not sure if I should make the leap or not.
I'm definitely a power user but it's almost entirely on chrome or YouTube.

Vic

The SIII and One X are both similarly great phone, but some SIII spec features gives it the edge over the One X. Like a lot of people, I've been looking to which phone to buy and until something fantastic comes up, it's no doubt going to be the 2GB SIII, not the One X.

Is this a popular opinion? I have the one x currently but am considering the alternative.

The one x seems to have a better screen and a build quality along with a better camera?

Anything I'm missing? Storage space doesn't concern me at all I don't game on my phone or store large videos or music collections so 16gbs is plenty. I've also never kept a spare battery as I'm never far from a source of power.

So with that in mind it seems like the 2gb of ram is what I'd be gaining in my case.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? I don't game on my phone so I don't really know how appreciable any spec boost will be. I do like the s3 notification light. I find the s voice gimmicky never used siri on my 4s. Just not sure if I should make the leap or not.

I don't think the One X will be obsolete.

After many hand on reviews from people who actually have both device, It is very clear that the One X still have the best screen in any smartphone, that must account for something.

its still the 2nd best android phone after the GS3.

plus the One X will be a cheaper alternative.

rozay

Banned

The performance of both phones is going to be very similar, I don't think it's necessary to make the switch if you like the screen and look of the one x. Main benefits are the battery, sd slot, ram, and audio quality.
I don't think the One X will be obsolete.

After many hand on reviews from people who actually have both device, It is very clear that the One X still have the best screen in any smartphone, that must account for something.
amoled fanboys about to be at yo jugular

The performance of both phones is going to be very similar, I don't think it's necessary to make the switch if you like the screen and look of the one x. Main benefits are the battery, sd slot, ram, and audio quality.amoled fanboys about to be at yo jugular
Correct on each account.

fanboys....hahah...but like you said..there just fanboys...

well, some people think the One X has a better screen, others prefer the Galaxy SIII

and some people think the One is better built, while others prefer the Galaxy SIII

but everyone agrees the GSIII is better specced, including the camera

kehs

Banned
hampering? are devs saying "well, fuck it, we don't need to update our menu shit because the GS3 has a menu button still" while ignoring everything else, like the Nexus and the One debacle?

It'll slow the actionbar adoption if devs don't have to use it since the SG3 is going to do big numbers.

well, some people think the One X has a better screen, others prefer the Galaxy SIII

and some people think the One is better built, while others prefer the Galaxy SIII

but everyone agrees the GSIII is better specced, including the camera

the camera is subjective too..

some are experiencing some pink dot issues with there GS3 camera.

Has anyone had multitasking issues with their international s3 like the one x has? The one x constantly refreshes everything when you switch back to it. Nothing seems to be stored in a save state, at least for not very long.

rozay

Banned
what causes the pink spot in the middle of photos in cell phone cameras? I've seen this on so many phones like my old nexus one

edit:this is the issue (image from a galaxy S2)
SGS2-Camera-Pink-Spot_01.jpg

rozay

Banned
shinshoryuken, I'm looking at the main camera thread on xda and I'm not seeing a lot of photos with the pink spot visible.

Ash_69

Has there been any performance comparisons between the snapdragon and the quadcore version?

Could you not look at the S3 international benchmarks vs AT&T HTC one x? Not ideal but it would give you a pretty good indication one would think.

Also on some that were saying that S4 is faster than Tegra 3, the benchmarks have been far from conclusive -

http://androidandme.com/2012/05/sma...erformance-gpu-battery-life-and-web-browsing/

Best way to decide on a phone is GO TO THE SHOP and get a hands on. Personally speaking, I think the s3 looks terrible for a high end phone. Could not over look that and after getting reassurance that the performance difference would not be discernible in day to day use, I jumped and order a one x.

Still acknowledge that on a technical front, the S3 is a beast though (shame it had to look like one).

shinshoryuken, I'm looking at the main camera thread on xda and I'm not seeing a lot of photos with the pink spot visible.

I think i read it from the first impression thread...not sure, but I know a few mentioned it.

Like I said, I really hope its not true.

Top Bottom