• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

now that the spec are official for the US.

what phone in the horizon can take the down the GS3 overlord? (Iphone 5 doesn't count)

seem like the GS3 is not like the GS2 which was basically untouchable when it came out.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
now that the spec are official for the US.

what phone in the horizon can take the down the GS3 overlord? (Iphone 5 doesn't count)

seem like the GS3 is not like the GS2 which was basically untouchable when it came out.

Honestly? Probably nothing better this year. What we will probably end up with is a ton of similar phones on similar chipsets ie look at the One X and GS3 comparisons. Honestly there isn't much else anyone can do at least with the currently available chipsets.

Expect maybe a a refresh and or different form factor sizes later in the year from your usual suspects. Also expect some new Windows Phone stuff that'll probably be current designs from the likes of an HTC or Samsung as well as whatever Nokia brings. Everything is pretty much going to be the same or very similar for the rest of the year.

Only two phones outside of the iPhone that could best it would be if we see a new Nexus phone extremely late in the year and if Nokia could pull something out of their ass maybe with pure view for the camera built in.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Thats alot of bad units then...half of them had pink tint.

samsung QC tolerance FTL...

Ain't this the truth. I'm convinced they just don't give a fuck and hope people won't care or notice the crazy variation in screen quality for the S3 and Nexus screens (and they're probably right).

kehs

Banned
Looks like the GSIII comes with Google's bloatware Chrome pre installed, I wonder if they slithered Wallet into there too. I know Sprint's does, wonder about the others.

Blackhead

Redarse
I got the One X S4 version.

but previously the Gnex, GS2, Iphone 4s.

getting rid of the One X for the GS3.
My original iPhone4 had the same camera issue. I eventually got an Apple Store to replace it. As soon as Sasmung/carriers are honoring their warranty I don't see what the big deal is. I'd blame Sony anyway since they are resposible for camera.

My original iPhone4 had the same camera issue. I eventually got an Apple Store to replace it. As soon as Sasmung/carriers are honoring their warranty I don't see what the big deal is. I'd blame Sony anyway since they are resposible for camera.

This is a different issue from the pink dot camera issue.

It's an issue with the actual screen having a pink tint to it.

The thing is Apple store customer support is superb! top notch!

With the GS3, I will need to buy it from a store that is lax with their exchange policy.

Cipherr

Noone but me does the phone test at the shop before leaving with the phone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqUn-7Q9YFg

Color test, make sure you have no pink tint, tell them you are going to test to make sure you don't have a defective unit before going down. Maybe your clerks aren't as nice in your area, but they have no problem letting me test my phones before I leave the store here in downtown KC at both the Sprint store in the P&L District and at Verizon a few years ago.

Won't be an issue for me. I dont walk out of stores with a 700 dollar phone before making sure its kosher.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
At&t can be so, so weird sometimes. Just use the international version with a LTE radio! The Canadian Version!

At&t can be so, so weird sometimes. Just use the international version with a LTE radio! The Canadian Version!

good idea!!

I think I'm going to do that....err but then i wont be able to see it in person first..

whats the chance that the t-mobile can work with an at&t sim card once unlocked?

will the T-mobile version have a compatible band?

rozay

Banned
Noone but me does the phone test at the shop before leaving with the phone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqUn-7Q9YFg

Color test, make sure you have no pink tint, tell them you are going to test to make sure you don't have a defective unit before going down. Maybe your clerks aren't as nice in your area, but they have no problem letting me test my phones before I leave the store here in downtown KC at both the Sprint store in the P&L District and at Verizon a few years ago.

Won't be an issue for me. I dont walk out of stores with a 700 dollar phone before making sure its kosher.
not all clerks are as nice as the ones at your store then, my friend bought a verizon nexus with a really poor screen (visibly dim when put next to the store model) and he was told there was nothing wrong with it and wasn't able to exchange it at his local store.

also, how is a pink screen tint any worse than the yellow and blue the iPhone screens all have as well as the one X or the green most GS2s have?

Yeah, I'm on Verizon. It's been two years since I got my HTC Incredible.

Heh, I'm in the exact same boat. I got an Incredible two years ago; my contract ends June 12th. (Although from what I understand I could have upgraded already? Do I get some sort of credit towards upgrading?)

Definitely want to get a GSIII. Never upgraded before so hopefully I can figure it out without screwing up the pre-order.

The 32GB version for $249 is a no-brainer, right? Is anyone going for 16GB?

gwarm01

Heh, I'm in the exact same boat. I got an Incredible two years ago; my contract ends June 12th. (Although from what I understand I could have upgraded already? Do I get some sort of credit towards upgrading?)

Definitely want to get a GSIII. Never upgraded before so hopefully I can figure it out without screwing up the pre-order.

The 32GB version for $249 is a no-brainer, right? Is anyone going for 16GB?

I don't know. Part of me says I could just stick in my 16GB microsd, but the other part of me says it'll be a lot easier to just get the 32GB model. We'll just have to see what I select when the time comes.

Damn though, I wish this was a world phone. I'm leaving the country for the month of July and I'd fucking love to have an awesome new phone to take with me.

rozay

Banned
just a heads up for Verizon people looking to upgrade to this, the 4GB LTE data promotion ends tomorrow, and GS3 preorders start the day after tomorrow.

gwarm01

just a heads up for Verizon people looking to upgrade to this, the 4GB LTE data promotion ends tomorrow, and GS3 preorders start the day after tomorrow.

Is there some sort of scam I could do to get both the 4GB and the GS3, or will I just have to deal with it?

edit: by scam I mean completely legal if not morally dubious actions

Is there some sort of scam I could do to get both the 4GB and the GS3, or will I just have to deal with it?

edit: by scam I mean completely legal if not morally dubious actions

Borrow someone's LTE phone, activate a month to month contract tomorrow, give phone back without sim card, next day upgrade.

This is what I was planning on doing until someone gave me their unlimited LTE plan.

This has NOTHING to do with unlimited grandfathered in people, right? That is still ending some time in the future?

tino

Banned
some units have it, some units don't. panel roulette part 4856!!!

Mr. TFM, may I ask you a question. You must have... post at least 1000 post regarding the GSGIII (low estamate). Are you going to actually buy the phone? I thought you are on Virgin Mobile?

Can you teach me your passion?

Top Bottom