• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Mr. TFM, may I ask you a question. You must have... post at least 1000 post regarding the GSGIII (low estamate). Are you going to actually buy the phone? I thought you are on Virgin Mobile?

Can you teach me your passion?

I'm on Sprint!

<3 SERO

my sister is on Virgin Mobile though.

i've just liked smartphones ever since i got my first WinMo phone back in the day...

Zoe

<3 SERO too!

Gonna have to figure out the best way to get this... Can Best Buy still do SERO upgrades?

Loxley

Really glad to hear it's coming to Sprint right away. Now to just wait and see if the iPhone 5 amazes/disappoints to determine my next upgrade since my contract is up.

MrJames

Sprint pre-orders start tomorrow. The link currently takes you to their community blog announcement. My OG Evo has been hanging in there but it's time to upgrade. I plan on getting the 32GB version. It will be a nice step up from the 427MB of app space on my Evo.

Pre-order begins June 5 at www.sprint.com/galaxysiii

zedge

Initial impressions of Bell GS3.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/06/04/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-initial-benchmarks-and-hands-on-impressions/

You notice immediately upon turning on the screen and swiping through the seven homescreens that, despite its obvious TouchWIZ-based lineage, the Galaxy S III is a different beast. It&#8217;s smooth in a way no other Android handset has been able to achieve; remember the Galaxy S II LTE was notably faster than the HTC Raider/Amaze despite utilizing the same processor. We find the same thing here: Nature UX is demonstrably smoother than Sense 4.0, and while HTC may have the advantage in aesthetics, the more I use the Galaxy S III the better it looks. It also feels smaller than its 4.8-inch display/137mm height would suggest.

Say what you want about touchwiz but it is by far the smoothest fastest skin period, even smoother than stock ICS. (speaking from experience here, my gnex is jittery, laggy etc compared to my gs2)

Samsung has managed to convince its carrier partners that a unified look across the industry is best for business, and the result will likely be faster updates and a more identifiable product.

This is good, no more bastardized carrier versions that take forever to get updated.

Ecto311

Damn I'm amped for this phone. I was ok with it at first but seeing its the same design all around and has a physical button is awesome. Now case makers will have a phone that is worth taking the time to make cases for. I would really like to see some cases come from uncommon and similar companies. Also with the home button I can mash it from my bedside and have light/info from the phone. That was almost impossible with the OneX since it was only one button on the top and hard to find/push in the dark. And to top off the entire thing is 2gb ram and the 4s camera. Sounds too good to be true.

Probably asked here before but is anyone else sending back their one x and preordering the s3? How does it work with the preorder if you are waiting for the eligibility to be reset for the upgrade.

zedge

samsung is taking updates seriously? that's a good sign.

so how common is the pink screen problem?

Samsung has always been pretty good with updates, for the international versions of their phones. Its the carrier branded ones that suffer, don't think thats all sammys fault. Not sure about the pink screens, check xda.

Cipherr

Im not even worried about this phones updates. 2GB of ram? Shit, it will get JB for sure. I am interested in whether or not JB will be as huge a jump as ICS though.

My current phone is fine, Droid X. Does what I need it to. I don't really have an "allegiance" to any OS, and I won't lie, I played around with a new iPad a couple days ago (for the first time) and I really really want one now.

In that case I would consider an iPhone. idevices work fantastically together, and it sounds like you are going to eventually get an iPad. At the top end of smartphones, as a general user you arent going to really be hindered by any of them. S3, 4S etc etc, they will all be great upgrades from your X, so buy the one that will have the most synergy with your one concrete future purchase.

rozay

Banned
My current phone is fine, Droid X. Does what I need it to. I don't really have an "allegiance" to any OS, and I won't lie, I played around with a new iPad a couple days ago (for the first time) and I really really want one now.
if you have unlimited 3G data on your droid x, the only way to get unlimited LTE is with this phone or another released phone. by the time the new iPhone is out (possibly even within the next 2 months), verizon will have switched to shared family data plans and the only way to keep your unlimited plan is to buy the phone at retail.

if you have unlimited 3G data on your droid x, the only way to get unlimited LTE is with this phone or another released phone. by the time the new iPhone is out (possibly even within the next 2 months), verizon will have switched to shared family data plans and the only way to keep your unlimited plan is to buy the phone at retail.

oh... ugh

don't you get throttled anyway if you go over the "unlimited" amount?

rozay

Banned
oh... ugh

don't you get throttled anyway if you go over the "unlimited" amount?
if you're on at&t or T-Mobile, yes. Don't think verizon has stooped that low yet, and they might not since they will successfully snare plenty of people into leaving unlimited data with the change later this year.

honestly, you could always get this phone and come October, sell it and put that money towards the new iPhone.

teiresias

I'm due for an upgrade on Sprint this month and I'm having a hard time deciding between this and the HTC EVO 4G LET (essentially One x). Ugh, so unsure. I really don't want Sense, but that screen issue is a real annoyance to have to worry about when picking one up - that and the whole pentile thing.

Ok I see. If Sprint has both S3 and note, which one would you get?

GS3

I'm due for an upgrade on Sprint this month and I'm having a hard time deciding between this and the HTC EVO 4G LET (essentially One x). Ugh, so unsure. I really don't want Sense, but that screen issue is a real annoyance to have to worry about when picking one up - that and the whole pentile thing.

see one in person when they launch and decide.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Please tell me the Verizon blue color will be available for pre-order tomorrow. Don't want a white phone (cue thats racist gif lol).

gibut

lol yea the blue and white are available for Pre-order for all providers. Think they calling it pebble blue instead of metallic blue,

Toki767

The button on the blue looks ugly and out of place. Does this really not bother anyone at all?

It looks out of place because it's actually a purple-ish color instead of the same blue as the front of the screen. Not sure why they chose to do that. Maybe they just didn't have the right paint for that part.

Lucario

So wait; Verizon preorders are tomorrow, but when does the phone actually release? I'm hesitant to preorder something that doesn't have a release date.

longdi

Banned
the quad s3 is clearly smoother than the quad one x. one x performance at times felt like my old s2. but dayum one x screen is best mobile screen yet. better than psvita, better than ip4s, better then new ipad.

perfect android would be one x screen and externals, s3 internals, and running stock ics. that would blow away wp and go toe to toe with apple.

the quad s3 is clearly smoother than the quad one x. one x performance at times felt like my old s2. but dayum one x screen is best mobile screen yet. better than psvita, better than ip4s, better then new ipad.

perfect android would be one x screen and externals, s3 internals, and running stock ics. that would blow away wp and go toe to toe with apple.

Yes only if the gs3 had a better screen.

Now that its readily available, more and more reviews are showing up, and Its clearly in favor of the one x screen.

Seem like the earlier reviews, Samsung gave them an early "first look" review unit as an exchange not to say anything bad about the phone..including the pentile screen.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Yes only if the gs3 had a better screen.

Now that its readily available, more and more reviews are showing up, and Its clearly in favor of the one x screen.

Seem like the earlier reviews, Samsung gave them an early "first look" review unit as an exchange not to say anything bad about the phone..including the pentile screen.

could i get a link to some bad reviews? im honestly asking because im interested

could i get a link to some bad reviews? im honestly asking because im interested

The screen is not that bad, none of them are saying its bad...its just not class leading, and its pentile...

I was hoping the samsung will "bring it" with there flagship phone..

HTC did, and Apple will definitively do ..

here's 2 new ones

http://www.androidnz.net/2012/06/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-real-user-review.html

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review

and countless of people who has both device echos the same conclusion...

Top Bottom