• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

For its part, AT&T said it will sell the 16GB version of the Android 4.0 phone at $199 in blue and white. A red version will be available exclusively on the AT&T network later in the summer.

The phone becomes available for pre-order on June 6 at AT&T-owned stores and AT&T's website.

In its stores, AT&T will also make a 16GB MicroSD card available with the phone, bringing memory capacity to 32GB at a combined price of $238, or less than the $249 that Verizon and Sprint said they will charge for the 32GB version of the S III.

AT&T's model incorporates 4G LTE and HSPA+ 21 wireless-data technologies.

http://www.twice.com/article/485520-AT_T_Outlines_Samsung_Galaxy_S_III_Plans.php

I need a phone, preferably on AT&T. I think I might get this over the One X.

The screen is not that bad, none of them are saying its bad...its just not class leading, and its pentile...

I will hoping the samsung will "bring it" with there flagship phone..

HTC did, and Apple will definitively do ..

here's 2 new ones

http://www.androidnz.net/2012/06/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-real-user-review.html

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review

and countless of people who has both device echos the same conclusion...

androidnz said:
As I'm making a case for false differentiators here, let's look at the pros and cons lists above a little more closely shall we?

Whites in the S III won't bother the vast majority of users providing a One X isn't sitting right beside their S III...
...similarly blacks in the One X won't bother users unless an AMOLED screen is sitting right beside their handset.
In regular use the pentile display of the S III won't cause real issues because of the high pixel density.
The S III viewing angle advantage is irrelevant - nobody actually uses their phone at angles that acute so it's an utterly fallacy to hold that up as a differentiator...
...ditto the SLCD-2 advantage in direct sunlight, which is slight enough to be negligible for all but the most ardent outdoors enthusiasts.

Ultimately when you break it down like that I think it becomes apparent that there really isn't anything in it, it's just a distraction from more noteworthy things that differentiate the two handsets.

Anyways... All in all the S III display is truly excellent, and I don't really see much cause for complaint from consumers (barring the distinct minority with hyper-acute near-vision who may be bothered by the effects of the pentile display, even despite the high PPI on show here - if you count yourself in that group you should evaluate the screen yourself). It doesn't assume the mantle of best-in-class like it's predecessors, but if you don't allow yourself to get caught up in marketing division propaganda I'd be surprised if you weren't delighted with it.

Of course if you disagree, and you absolutely must have the best screen available, feel free to purchase a One X and engage liberally in the thousands of useless "which is the best screen" pissing contests taking place all over the internet right now. Ain't choice grand?

yep, sounds like they said ... wait ... sounds like they said it's tied for best screen ... but somehow that translates into htc brought it but samsung didn't bring it?

Android Central said:
The Galaxy S III’s 4.8-inch screen dominates its front face, with only a thin bezel separating it from the edge of the chassis. The glass front boasts Corning’s Gorilla Glass 2 for added impact-resistance, and its edges gently curve back down towards the trim, avoiding any sharp transitions from glass to plastic.

The panel itself is a 1280x720 HD SuperAMOLED, similar to what’s found on the Galaxy Nexus. We say “similar” because there are some striking differences when you compare both phones side by side. Color balance is cooler on the S III, and whites don’t have a yellowish tint like they do on the Nexus. Nor does the S III suffer from the same “graininess” that afflicts the Nexus at lower brightness levels. Colors seemed just a little punchier to us, too, though that could be the result of software tweaking.

The fact that the screen is SuperAMOLED, not SuperAMOLED Plus, means it uses the an RGBG (PenTile) subpixel structure, compared to the more standard RGB layout. At lower resolutions, this can result in unpleasant jagged artifacts around the edge of certain on-screen elements, but at 1280x720, you really don’t need to worry about that. If anything, these jaggies are less apparent on the S III than on earlier HD SuperAMOLED displays.

One explanation for this might be the fact that individual subpixels are packed more closely together on the S III, as claimed by Samsung reps prior to release, and backed up by our close-up shots. However, chances are you’re not going to be using your phone from behind a microscope, so concerns over PenTile matrix patterns shouldn't be overstated.

There are some valid criticisms to be made of the S III’s screen, however. The first thing we should get out of the way is the inevitable comparison to HTC's flagship, the One X. Right now, that phone’s SuperLCD 2 panel is the best-looking display on any smartphone, and unfortunately HD SuperAMOLED simply falls short of this mark in terms of clarity, color quality and sharpness. Daylight visibility, though not at all bad, is also inferior to the One X, and this is exacerbated by the white bezel. The trim is extremely reflective in bright sunshine, making it all the more difficult to focus on the screen it surrounds. Auto-brightness, too, could use a little tweaking, as like the Galaxy Nexus it defaults far too low, particularly indoors.

In 2011, Samsung bested just about everyone -- the obvious exception being Apple -- with its WVGA SuperAMOLED Plus panels. But LCD technology has evolved in the past twelve months, and AMOLED’s not quite king of the hill anymore. Nevertheless, crank up the brightness on the Galaxy S III, and you’ve still got a great-looking display.

a great looking display.

haters gonna hate.

Cipherr

yep, sounds like they said ... wait ... sounds like they said it's tied for best screen ... but somehow that translates into htc brought it but samsung didn't bring it?

a great looking display.

haters gonna hate.

Seriously, how did they not bring it when it outclasses the One X in all but a single category? Give me a break. The HTC as a device has the screen and only the screen over the S3, software, camera, storage space, carrier availability, boot loader, (ROM support by proxy), benchmarks everything just gets swept by the S3. This is really not a close race here. One phone is way out in front.

tokkun

could i get a link to some bad reviews? im honestly asking because im interested

Verge:

Sadly, while that may have been a great compliment a year or two ago, the quality and viewing angles of AMOLED have recently been bypassed by refinements in LCD technology. HTC’s One X is the standout demonstration of that — offering unrivalled clarity, color balance, and viewing angles. In all of those respects, the Galaxy S III is one or two tiers below the One X: its display has the usual blue tinge characteristic of AMOLED displays, which gets worse as you begin to look at it off-center.

a great looking display.

haters gonna hate.

um...you skipped the part that AndroidNZ said "Is it the best screen ever to grace a mobile to date? No. That crown still belongs to the HTC One X, with it's SLCD-2 panel."

Seriously, how did they not bring it when it outclasses the One X in all but a single category? Give me a break. The HTC as a device has the screen and only the screen over the S3, software, camera, storage space, carrier availability, boot loader, (ROM support by proxy), benchmarks everything just gets swept by the S3. This is really not a close race here. One phone is way out in front.

Um...if you been reading the thread I been saying its better than the one x....just not the screen.

read the thread, it will save you the typing time.

anyways

early preview...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bq3E_RfzxE&feature=g-u-u

What DAC is in it?

Exynos 4 Quad version? Wolfson.

Snapdragon S4 version? we don't know yet.

Seriously, how did they not bring it when it outclasses the One X in all but a single category? Give me a break. The HTC as a device has the screen and only the screen over the S3, software, camera, storage space, carrier availability, boot loader, (ROM support by proxy), benchmarks everything just gets swept by the S3.

shinshoryuken has Super AMOLEDphobia

Exynos 4 Quad version? Wolfson.

Snapdragon S4 version? we don't know yet.

shinshoryuken has Super AMOLEDphobia

Like what another poster asked..are you even planning on getting the phone?

The reason I'm so concern is that
I was planning to replace the one x with the gs3, now with I might actually keep both.

my super amoledphobia was cause by the gnex.

and I was really hoping they weren't going to use pentile.

Like what another poster asked..are you even planning on getting the phone?

The reason I'm so concern is that
I was planning to replace the one x with the gs3, now with I might actually keep both.

my super amoledphobia was cause by the gnex.

and I was really hoping they weren't going to use pentile.

if i had the money i would get it at launch.

rozay

Banned
Doesn't the S4 hold its own against the Exynos 4?
46302.png

nothing on android requires that kind of performance right now, but it's probably the most powerful chipset in a phone you can buy today.

Cipherr

zedge

Its the accessories that will benefit most. The cases, the stands, the car docks the ridiculous old timey belt holsters, and even the freaking screen protectors. Theres going to be a shitload of them because the phone is the same world wide, and because the phone will sell well over 25 to 30 million.
That too! Win win.

I am legit torn here. I was going to get the Evo 4G LTE since I'm switching to Sprint, and did not expect this phone to be out for a while, much less in June. I'm getting the phone July 4th week when I'm visiting family...I MUST CHOOOOOOOSE

I must say, couple dark horse things that sway me: 50 gigs of Dropbox for 2 years from Samsung vs 25 from HTC is a pretty nice deal for me, and so is HTC's phones getting Playstation Certified...

Are there any Quadrant marks for the US version of the SIII yet?

zedge

I am legit torn here. I was going to get the Evo 4G LTE since I'm switching to Sprint, and did not expect this phone to be out for a while, much less in June. I'm getting the phone July 4th week when I'm visiting family...I MUST CHOOOOOOOSE

I must say, couple dark horse things that sway me: 50 gigs of Dropbox for 2 years from Samsung vs 25 from HTC is a pretty nice deal for me, and so is HTC's phones getting Playstation Certified...

Posted earlier. Watch the video here.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/06/04/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-initial-benchmarks-and-hands-on-impressions/

tokkun

I'm in the same boat. The Evo also has a better screen and I really want the physical camera button, but I don't care that much for its aesthetics and am wondering whether the GS3 will get longer-term support due to the larger RAM and larger community of users (across carriers).

saunderez

My SGS3 finally turned up (16GB and White, my carrier had no options) and I love it. Such a huge improvement over my GS2. Samsung has done a good job on the system apps, their Music Player and Video Player apps are so good I'm finding no use for my paid apps. It seems like my screen doesn't have any imperfections and the pentile sub pixel layout is far less noticeable than it was on my old Desire so overall I'm really impressed.

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5810/46302.png

nothing on android requires that kind of performance right now, but it's probably the most powerful chipset in a phone you can buy today.

c'mon son, that's the benchmark with the widest gap. none of the others are even that soread.

46297.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5810/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-performance-preview

I'm in the same boat. The Evo also has a better screen and I really want the physical camera button, but I don't care that much for its aesthetics and am wondering whether the GS3 will get longer-term support due to the larger RAM and larger community of users (across carriers).

it will.

plus: ODIN

rozay

Banned
c'mon son, that's the benchmark with the widest gap. none of the others are even that soread.

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5810/46297.png

it will.

plus: ODIN
isn't vellamo a qualcomm benchmark though?

I only really posted the other one because of the huge jump over the 4S in graphical capabilities hahaha. I really doubt there will be a difference in performance with any apps available today, but both versions have unique variations for futureproofing.

TrounceX

At least most of you guys actually have the option between the S3 and One X.

Where I live, you get Verizon, end of story. AT&T can hardly even hold a phone call out here. It's pathetic.

So yeah, no choice. Pre-ordering the S3 tomorrow hopefully. Really excited about it since I've never had a smartphone, and have been using the same LG Chocolate since like 2006 lol.

After all this waiting I had better be blown the fuck away by the tech in this thing.

play.com lists pebble blue as available today....

i might pull the trigger...

the more i read about s3, the more i want it. Well i agree with most reviews, putting s3 screen next to one x, it seems to have blue-ish tint and the one x display really stands out. The pentile doesn't really bothers me since I don't stick it too close to my eyes. Touchwiz also seems smoother than sense.

If only s3 has used the same display type as one x.....

And boom goes the dynamite!

Blue 32gb is mine!

have you ordered? which shop?

Nice, thanks! I'll take a gander when I'm home.

Not gonna lie, I like the physical camera button, but that kickstands annoys me. More modding/carrier support=I'm in. SIII, here I come~!

Top Bottom