• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

PhatSaqs

Banned
Actual real world use, the Dual Core Snapdragon chip performs just as well as the quad core in the international version.

In fact in some ways the Dual core snapdragon is a better chip, and you'd probably get longer battery life with it. At least for LTE versions, since the Quad core version to have LTE needs to have another chip added to it to support LTE. The Qualcomm Snapdragon chip has it built in.

Good article on the Snapdragon S4. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5559/...ormance-preview-msm8960-adreno-225-benchmarks
Thanks.

Boken

Banned
Torn between the One X and GS3 also. Could I get some advice or guidance? Here is how I've placed them (keep in mind I live in Australia, so the GS3 is 1GB ram and Quad Core). Also, I know NOTHING about android.

OneX:
-looks a lot prettier
-screen is slightly nicer
-better whites

GS3:
-Longer Battery life
-runs faster (?)
-better blacks
-better in sunlight
-better supported

What do you guys mean that the GS3 will be better supported?

Torn between the One X and GS3 also. Could I get some advice or guidance? Here is how I've placed them (keep in mind I live in Australia, so the GS3 is 1GB ram and Quad Core). Also, I know NOTHING about android.

OneX:
-looks a lot prettier

GS3:
-Longer Battery life
-runs faster (?)
-Video player supports more video formats

the gs2 had the most developers do to alot of
people having the units. This will be the same with the gs3.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

OneX:
-looks a lot prettier

GS3:
-Longer Battery life
-runs faster (?)
-Video player supports more video formats

its only faster cpu wise internationally i believe

its only faster cpu wise internationally i believe

Actual real world use, the Dual Core Snapdragon chip performs just as well as the quad core in the international version.

In fact in some ways the Dual core snapdragon is a better chip, and you'd probably get longer battery life with it. At least for LTE versions, since the Quad core version to have LTE needs to have another chip added to it to support LTE. The Qualcomm Snapdragon chip has it built in.

Good article on the Snapdragon S4. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5559/...ormance-preview-msm8960-adreno-225-benchmarks

*edit*

Pre-ordered mine through Verizon. Got the 16 gig version, hope it ships sooner than the July date they're saying.

Boken

Banned
the gs2 had the most developers do to alot of
people having the units. This will be the same with the gs3.

Previously an iPhone user so I'm not sure what different mobile platforms entails for developers. GS3 will have more developers that make applications? Applications are not andrioid universal?

ukas

Previously an iPhone user so I'm not sure what different mobile platforms entails for developers. GS3 will have more developers that make applications? Applications are not andrioid universal?

Regarding ROM's and hacking the device.

android is an semi open source platform..so developers can make custom rom,theme and mods for it.
You are not stuck using the software that come with the unit.

Cipherr

Yeah, even if there was a exynos 2GB ram LTE version coming down the line, the performance difference just is not large enough for me to have buyers remorse. That wouldnt stop me from buying the US version as is at all.

kehs

Banned

They are universal for normal usage. You're biggest worry with app compatibility will be not getting the OS updated in about 18 months.

Boken

Banned
So basically the GS3 will be better supported by community developers which means better and faster hacks, mods and more custom themes. (Did I miss anything?)

This seems like a pretty big point to the GS3.

rozay

Banned
So basically the GS3 will be better supported by community developers which means better and faster hacks, mods and more custom themes. (Did I miss anything?)

This seems like a pretty big point to the GS3.
edit:why did I think you were a sprint user?

GS3 in Australia shits on the evo aside from the screen where they are neck to neck, they'll both have strong dev communities but if you don't mind the looks id go with the GS3.

derder

What the hell are you people doing with your phones that requires that much power? I could understand if you're upgrading from a broken or dying phone, but I don't see any real world advantages over what has been available for a year. It has touchwiz for christ's sake

methodman

Banned
What the hell are you people doing with your phones that requires that much power? I could understand if you're upgrading from a broken or dying phone, but I don't see any real world advantages over what has been available for a year. It has touchwiz for christ's sake

I'm goin from the 3gs to this. Kinda hyped to see how fast it is.

rozay

Banned
Here's a good example of an app that benefits from better cpus and gpus: http://dslrcontroller.com/

Also, MHL HDMI adapters don't work on the S3, you need to buy a proprietary one from Samsung. Not sure what that means for other MHL products.

I'm finally upgrading from a dumb phone to a smart phone. Since this costs the same as pretty much all the other smart phones out there why not go with the new phone, instead of a year old phone.

Ok so something that bugs me about android phones out the box is how unresponsive they are with navigation/scrolling compared to iphones. Do well made custom themes/etc. (or whatever they're called) tend to be more crisp?

zedge

Ok so something that bugs me about android phones out the box is how unresponsive they are with navigation/scrolling compared to iphones. Do well made custom themes/etc. (or whatever they're called) tend to be more crisp?
Have you used any decent android phones? Galaxy S 2 is like butter, S3 looks even better.

Cipherr

With the new batch of 4.0 Android phones, with the exception of the Nexus strangely, the laggy unresponsive nonsense is dead in the water. If you are looking at a OneX or an S3, your not going to find laggy unresponsiveness in the stock skin. Custom roms were mainly used for this in the past, but with these new phones now, thats an issue that has been put to bed.

nope. try WP7.

What? The OneX is like silk. Ive used it for hours and absolutely none of the old signature Android lag at all. The increasing horsepower behind mobile tech is very clearly scaling well for the Android OS. Either that or ICS is just built much better.

saunderez

What? The OneX is like silk. Ive used it for hours and absolutely none of the old signature Android lag at all. The increasing horsepower behind mobile tech is very clearly scaling well for the Android OS. Either that or ICS is just built much better.

As is the international SGS3. I was surprised how much smoother everything is than the SGS2. I wasn't really expecting a stock SGS3 to run this well at launch.

Toki767

Not that I really plan on using the feature, but do you guys think pop-up play will take a hit with the S4? It seems like they're using the quad core Exynos to have two cores work at playing video and the other two cores at doing anything else.

Not that I really plan on using the feature, but do you guys think pop-up play will take a hit with the S4? It seems like they're using the quad core Exynos to have two cores work at playing video and the other two cores at doing anything else.

It works fine on the One X....so it should be no problem with the GS3 with 2 gig ram.

Live animated gif wallpaper running pop-up play video....a video I couldn't even run normally on Gnex without it stuttering.
7168639285_3e661bfef3.jpg

running 2 pop up video while posting on GAF....I can even run more that 2 without lagging
7353851294_ffc2857db4_z.jpg

Just flashed a semi vanilla ICS custom rom on the One X and its silky smooth even running 2 video simultaneously ...S4 ain't no slouch.
7168766961_412a1495e2_z.jpg

The GS3 with S4 should have no issue at all and run better than the One X due to the extra ram.

tino

Banned

I don't buy the better support argument. HTC top tier phones always get very good ROM support. Samsung ROM flashing is actually pretty annoying if you go by the record of Galaxy Note.

IMO you should go with your heart or buy the cheaper one. I would pick s3 base on sd card alone but some may value the screen higher.

masud

Banned
Ive asked this about 30 times in diffrent Android threads with no answer but I'll ask again. On motorola Droids theres a built in app called moto/zumo cast that lets you stream music movies ect from your home PC (you have to install sw on your PC and keep it on/online). Its one one thing im gonna miss on my Bionic when I get the s3. Anyone know of another app that works like this?

Violater

Sprint contract up on the 1st of Jul. should i stay with sprint and get the S3 or switch to Verizon?
Sprint signal is generally spotty wherever I go but it costs less.

rozay

Banned
Just flashed a semi vanilla ICS custom rom on the One X and its silky smooth even running 2 video simultaneously ...S4 ain't no slouch.

The GS3 with S4 should have no issue at all and run better than the One X due to the extra ram.
shit man, you're making me want to buy an AT&T One X. Wish there was a good AOSP rom for it though, and my jeans wouldn't treat the white one very well.

kehs

Banned
Ive asked this about 30 times in diffrent Android threads with no answer but I'll ask again. On motorola Droids theres a built in app called moto/zumo cast that lets you stream music movies ect from your home PC (you have to install sw on your PC and keep it on/online). Its one one thing im gonna miss on my Bionic when I get the s3. Anyone know of another app that works like this?

Not sure what motocast is, but Plex might be similar.

shit man, you're making me want to buy an AT&T One X. Wish there was a good AOSP rom for it though, and my jeans wouldn't treat the white one very well.

Any white phone are not jean friendly and you can have it skonomi wrap for really cheap. I'll be wrapping the gs3 when I get it.
CleanRom DE is silky smooth so far. Kinda make me forget about AOKP.

reKon

Banned
It works fine on the One X....so it should be no problem with the GS3 with 2 gig ram.

Live animated gif wallpaper running pop-up play video....a video I couldn't even run normally on Gnex without it stuttering.
7168639285_3e661bfef3.jpg

running 2 pop up video while posting on GAF....I can even run more that 2 without lagging
7353851294_ffc2857db4_z.jpg

I've never had any issue running any video on the G Nex using supervideo while browsing and navigating the phone. I'm starting to think your G Nex just sucked, lol.

I've never had any issue running any video on the G Nex using supervideo while browsing and navigating the phone. I'm starting to think your G Nex just sucked, lol.

Nope, I tried it on more than 1 gnex. The video I play are 720p ts/mks file. No matter what video player I used on the Gnex it wouldn't play properly. You might be playing a lower bitrate video.

Omzz

I'm in Canada so I'll be getting the contract for 3 years. Talked with Bell, they'll give me the phone with a 3 year plan for 80 bucks. Been with them for a while so I guess they gave me a "good deal"

Can't wait. Ditching the BlackBerry

Avixph

I'm in Canada so I'll be getting the contract for 3 years. Talked with Bell, they'll give me the phone with a 3 year plan for 80 bucks. Been with them for a while so I guess they gave me a "good deal"

Yeah but 3 years.

dude if it is available go with moblicity or wind. If bell rogers is the option than take less contract.

rozay

Banned

3 years?

Barney.gif

zedge

You can upgrade any time you want still for the most part, but it renews again.

I'm buying the phone outright though, not renewing.

Top Bottom