• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

well, this is definitely something you won't find on a one x hahaha

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1702635

i-Ks5Wx7k-M.jpg

i-3C4sCdX-M.jpg

:( that's pretty bad... i know amoled has this crap but not this bad

sun-drop

been using the blue s3 now for a fews days.

phone is amazing. i was thinking i wouldn't notice the upgrade from my s2 ..but man ..soo wrong.

the improvements through out touchwiz are so killer..

but surprisingly it's the form factor thats stealing the show for me.

the blue looks sooooo good. and hard to describe how great it feels in hand.

holo theamed swiftkey on this thing at night looks so killer ..

but yeh ... this thing looks so much better than the one x imo. slick is the only word for it.

but yeh ..... meet up with some mates tonight .. one had a white s3, and yeh had to sbeam.

something very very cool about being able to transfer a 1080p avengers trailer over in a few seconds by doing nothing more than bumping phones.

was pretty cool lauding it up over my iphone buddies with wifi direct on the S2 a year ago ...but this takes it to the next level. such a great feature.

TimeKillr

Those black blotches stuff is not a "defective" screen, it's a side-effect of AMOLED.

Every Vita screen displays those blotches, but you don't ever, *ever* see it under normal conditions. Normal conditions here means, well, when you're using it. Unless you're on a perfectly black background, it won't appear.

I wouldn't worry too much, seriously.

zedge

Those black blotches stuff is not a "defective" screen, it's a side-effect of AMOLED.

Every Vita screen displays those blotches, but you don't ever, *ever* see it under normal conditions. Normal conditions here means, well, when you're using it. Unless you're on a perfectly black background, it won't appear.

I wouldn't worry too much, seriously.

According to XDA we use our phones in a dark closet only staring at a black screen in slow motion with our eyes taped open.

So its not an issue to you then?

Or you're not even planning on getting the gs3 ..so why would you care?
No, it's a common trait to the display technology. An LCD screen would look nearly perfectly white under the same scenario, is that suppose to be better, somehow? OLED displays will always look better in dark scenes than LCD screens, they're not suppose to be perfect but they're absolutely the best that money can buy.

There isn't such a thing as a perfect display, so don't go looking for one.

No, it's a common trait to the display technology. An LCD screen would look nearly perfectly white under the same scenario, is that suppose to be better, somehow? OLED displays will always look better in dark scenes than LCD screens, they're not suppose to be perfect but they're absolutely the best that money can buy.

There isn't such a thing as a perfect display, so don't go looking for one.
The radioactive PenTile AMOLED screen on the GS3 certainly isn't the best phone display you can buy, that honor goes out to the HTC One X.

phone is amazing. i was thinking i wouldn't notice the upgrade from my s2 ..but man ..soo wrong.

but yeh ... this thing looks so much better than the one x imo. slick is the only word for it.

but yeh ..... meet up with some mates tonight .. one had a white s3, and yeh had to sbeam.

something very very cool about being able to transfer a 1080p avengers trailer over in a few seconds by doing nothing more than bumping phones.

was pretty cool lauding it up over my iphone buddies with wifi direct on the S2 a year ago ...but this takes it to the next level. such a great feature.

Just wanted to say thanks for this post. All the tech specs in the world are great but nothing can beat real live experience from a real person (well except of course for first hand ownership experience)

I had deliberated on all of the issues that were important to me (and they were numerous) and finally arrived at blue versus white. Leaning toward blue but have not made a final decision yet. Will probably put in that preorder today.

So blue > white? good.

Nakazato

I hope so he was the manger tho. lol but reguardless im going to be getting one. i hope IO shows a good tablet that has some icloud type functionality

ukas

I hope so he was the manger tho. lol but reguardless im going to be getting one. i hope IO shows a good tablet that has some icloud type functionality
Doesn't vanilla Android already does most if not all that iCloud does?

Edit: And if I'm not mistaken Android was doing it before Apple.

Husker86

Doesn't vanilla Android already does most if not all that iCloud does?

Edit: And if I'm not mistaken Android was doing it before Apple.
I'm unsure if Android supports it or not, but none of my app-specific data is ever backed up like it is with iCloud.

DarkFlow

Banned
as much as I love the work that comes out of xda... that place is a cesspool of whiny complaints.
No shit. XDA single handily ruined Google's return policy for the Google play nexus. People were sending them back for minor shit 5 times trying to get a "perfect" screen. Google would just send you a new one right away without having to send yours first. Now you have to use Samsung and put down a CC deposit. Fuck XDA.

rozay

Banned
No shit. XDA single handily ruined Google's return policy for the Google play nexus. People were sending them back for minor shit 5 times trying to get a "perfect" screen. Google would just send you a new one right away without having to send yours first. Now you have to use Samsung and put down a CC deposit. Fuck XDA.
yep, fuck XDA users for caring about QC on their devices

I don't consider having to look at a screen with grays that appear purple as a "minor issue", and there's no way I'm using a phone at night on 100% brightness to avoid it and burn my eyeballs at the same time.

if I'm spending that much money to buy a phone that has a noticeably worse screen than another nexus I put right next to it, you can bet I'm going to ask for an exchange

I don't consider having to look at a screen with grays that appear purple as a "minor issue", and there's no way I'm using a phone at night on 100% brightness to avoid it and burn my eyeballs at the same time.

if I'm spending that much money to buy a phone that has a noticeably worse screen than another nexus I put right next to it, you can bet I'm going to ask for an exchange

EXACTLY!! QC!!!

DarkFlow

Banned

Half the people were sending them back for minor things like a scuff mark on the case that is tiny. Some did have the major issue like the purple screen, but the vast majority had very minor problems.

sun-drop

So blue > white? good.

yep imo. white looks fine. but blue .. it's such a interesting look, does not look cheap AT ALL .. and is eye catching because it looks so different.

one of those colors that tends to look different depending on the lighting too, at night it looks black pretty much. day time..this mysterious grey blue color.

the finish on the phone is nice too ..feels more grippy than slippery

zedge

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/06/11/g...p-and-best-buy-caused-by-tremendous-response/

The Samsung Galaxy S III has been on sale in other countries for a couple weeks now and will officially land on Canadian soil on June 20th. It’s widely known that Samsung has had pre-orders top 9 million and the following carriers have already committed to release the 16GB and 32GB Galaxy S III: TELUS, Bell, Rogers, WIND, SaskTel, Mobilicity, Virgin, and Videotron. When the official release date of June 20th was announced both Future Shop and Best Buy announced they too will have the GS III available. Both retailers communicated that those interested in scoring it thought them could pre-order by dropping down $50 (see links here), in return would received a $20 Gift Card. Well, it seems that the pre-orders are going incredibly well. Both Future Shop and Best Buy have stopped taking online and in-store pre-orders, plus have have removed the device from their respected websites… now only indicating that it’s “coming soon.”

Future Shop confirmed this news and stated in an email to us that “Canadians clearly want their hands on the Samsung Galaxy S III – response to Future Shop’s preorders have been tremendous since day one. We recently ended preorders for this device to allow time to organize accurate shipments to our stores.”

The good news is that the carriers are still rocking pre-orders: TELUS, Bell, Virgin, Rogers… SaskTel, WIND, Mobilicity and Videotron have yet to reveal their pricing.

9 days away…

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Half the people were sending them back for minor things like a scuff mark on the case that is tiny. Some did have the major issue like the purple screen, but the vast majority had very minor problems.
Really. How do you know? I've had 5 Nexus'. 3 of them had the same purple tint issue. 1 has a good screen but faulty LTE radio or antenna. The other one was almost good but had two light vertical bars running down the middle of the screen.

Don't blame users for Samsung's piss-poor quality control. I guarantee you XDA isn't making up a large chunk of the sales of the Nexus, anyways.

Really. How do you know? I've had 5 Nexus'. 3 of them had the same purple tint issue. 1 has a good screen but faulty LTE radio or antenna. The other one was almost good but had two light vertical bars running down the middle of the screen.

Don't blame users for Samsung's piss-poor quality control. I guarantee you XDA isn't making up a large chunk of the sales of the Nexus, anyways.

*HIGH FIVE!!*

SMH to people justifying poor quality control and saying its a non issue or being too picky.

its a 600 hundred dollar product. I wouldn't think twice exchanging a unit I'm not happy with.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
question. if i absolutely love how the nexus screen looks then will i like the gs3 screen?
Yes, probably more because it can get brighter than the Nexus.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the screen on the Nexus (and love the phone itself), I just want a properly working phone. I shouldn't need to go through at least 5 devices to get a good one.

Gonna buy out my Fido contract (roughly 1.5 years left on it) to switch to Wind for their $40 unlimited voice/text/data plan in preparation for the GS3

haven't researched that much but is it a good idea? or should I wait it out?

Currently living in Vancouver, B.C.

Top Bottom