• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

torontoml

Ya i had to go with a three year with telus. My only real options are Telus or Bell since those are really the only companies that work well throughout the eastern provinces. I'm already with telus, and the telus pre-orders don't give any other option than a three year contract.

Omzz

don't you just hate oligopoly we have in canada? I would hate the day when I will have to get service from
them again.

Pretty much how the cell phone market is here in Canada. Low population, not much variety. The big companies try and push the little ones out.

Would have avoided the 3 year plan if I could, but it was more than I would have liked to pay. I just wanted to get rid of my BlackBerry.

tino

Banned
Ya i had to go with a three year with telus. My only real options are Telus or Bell since those are really the only companies that work well throughout the eastern provinces. I'm already with telus, and the telus pre-orders don't give any other option than a three year contract.

So your phone is 3 years old? What is it, some kind of G1?

torontoml

So your phone is 3 years old? What is it, some kind of G1?

I have a original S1 but I didn't pay any attention to smart phones when I bought it and the S2 came out two months later. Big mistake, so now I am paying almost the full price of a new standalone SIII to upgrade to the SIII on a three year contract due to my outstanding balance on my S1

im paying $400 to cancel with rogers and going to wind. im totally cool with it and the math still works out

I did not canceled it mine but when it was over I said fuck you and good bye lol. We really need more competition. At least we are getting some in major markets. Now I am waiting for some competition in cable market. For now Tekseavy and other small companies are providing great internet so I use that to watch tv.

Cousteau

How does this compare to my Treo 700wx ?
Young kids look at it like its some kind of scanner/CB radio.
Haven't been under contract for 5 yrs.

rozay

Banned

Treo 700wx Specifications:

Mobile phone, CDMA model with 800/1900-MHz bands, CDMA2000 1x and CDMA2000 EV-DO networks
Intel PXA272 312 MHz processor with Intel XScale Technology
128 MB (63 MB user-available) non-volatile memory
64 MB (57.5 user-available) RAM
Removable rechargeable lithium ion battery (1800mAh)
Windows Mobile 5.0 Phone Edition 2005
4.4 H x 2.3 W x 0.9 D inches (11.3 x 5.9 x 2.3 cm)
6.3 oz. (178 grams)
16-bit Color 240 x 240 TFT touchscreen display
Supports SD, SDIO and MMC expansion cards
Built-In Bluetooth 1.2 Compliance
1.3 megapixel (1280x1024 resolution, JPEG) digital camera with 2x digital zoom, video camera capability (176x144pixel @ 20fps, 3gpp, mp4, mjpeg)
Talk time: up to 4.7 hours, standby time: up to 15 days
No integrated Wi-Fi or GPS support (Wi-Fi card and Bluetooth GPS adapter can be purchased separately)
damb

Insty

Ive asked this about 30 times in diffrent Android threads with no answer but I'll ask again. On motorola Droids theres a built in app called moto/zumo cast that lets you stream music movies ect from your home PC (you have to install sw on your PC and keep it on/online). Its one one thing im gonna miss on my Bionic when I get the s3. Anyone know of another app that works like this?

I use Audiogalaxy. I have roughly 36,000 songs on my pc and can access them all from my phone, zero issues.

tino

Banned

My Spring Treo 755p salute you, I have had 6 phones since my last Palm.
7242292928_d94ce7c8ce.jpg

kehs

Banned
I hate it when eyes go into slow exposure mode.

Stick camera and phone in a cupboard and...
Phone screen brightness: 50%
Camera ISO: 200
Camera Shutter: 15 seconds
Camera Aperture: f/4.5
Remember to pre-focus and use the 10sec timer to avoid shake

tokkun

Yup!

between this, pink tint issue and the black crushing issue, it will be fun trying to get a perfect screen.

Let see how many people will be "You can't see it under normal condition"

just like people that defend pentile "You can't see pixle under normal condition"

Can you see it under normal conditions? The pics in question were 20 second exposures at ISO800. If you take a picture of a normally lit scene at those settings it will look like a supernova.

Can you see it under normal conditions? The pics in question were 20 second exposures at ISO800. If you take a picture of a normally lit scene at those settings it will look like a supernova.

If you read some post on the thread, there is issues were its really bad that you can see the black ink when watching youtube videos and looking at dark images.

If I'm going to buy a 600 dollar top of a line product, I would want it to be as perfect as possible.

If no one complain that mean Sumsungs QC is doing a fine job, which I believe is not that great.

So what if you buy a unit and it has this issue, would you be perfectly fine with it?

kehs

Banned
If you read some post on the thread, there is issues were its really bad that you can see the black ink when watching youtube videos and looking at dark images.

If I'm going to buy a 600 dollar top of a line product, I would want it to be as perfect as possible.

If no one complain that mean Sumsungs QC is doing a fine job, which I believe is not that great.

So what if you buy a unit and it has this issue, would you be perfectly fine with it?

Is it comfortable living inside of a cupboard with a time-slowing machine?

kehs

Banned
So to you its not an issue to you then?

Or you're not even planning on getting the gs3 ..so why would you care?

Using anal retentive xda posters are a quality standard will leave you never loving any single device you ever buy.

If those spots show up on anything day to day then it's obviously defective and you run down to the store and exchange it. You don't use a 15 second exposure to find out whether you have a bad unit or not.

brb, Let me grab my strobe light and 1,000 fps camera so I can expose the lack of 120hz refresh rate on my mobile device.

Using anal retentive xda posters are a quality standard will leave you never loving any single device you ever buy.

If those spots show up on anything day to day then it's obviously defective and you run down to the store and exchange it. You don't use a 15 second exposure to find out whether you have a bad unit or not.

brb, Let me grab my strobe light and 1,000 fps camera so I can expose the lack of 120hz refresh rate on my mobile device.

I'm guessing youre not even planning on getting the a gs3, cause you can't answer a simple question.

kehs

Banned
I need to plan on getting a specific device to comment on the ludicrous assertions being made by the crazy people on xda that are based on 15 second exposures in a cupboard to be able to detect if something is "wrong" with a screen?

herp derp

You better get back to that comparison* pamphlet.

*only to columns per page

I need to plan on getting a specific device to comment on the ludicrous assertions being made by the crazy people on xda that are based on 15 second exposures in a cupboard to be able to detect if something is "wrong" with a screen?

herp derp

You better get back to that comparison* pamphlet.

*only to columns per page

Well I was right then.

Zaptruder

Banned
So its not an issue to you then?

Or you're not even planning on getting the gs3 ..so why would you care?

Apparently my Galaxy Note might be affected by a similar issue.

I haven't noticed yet. I'd consider myself quite sensitive and discerning to these sorts of issues... but to pick up on those sorts of blotches means you probably can't be satisfied by any display - they all have their pros and cons (increasingly more pros and less cons, but not 'perfected' yet).

The SGS2 has serious burn-in problems and blue-shift issues for starters.

Apparently my Galaxy Note might be affected by a similar issue.

I haven't noticed yet. I'd consider myself quite sensitive and discerning to these sorts of issues... but to pick up on those sorts of blotches means you probably can't be satisfied by any display - they all have their pros and cons (increasingly more pros and less cons, but not 'perfected' yet).

The SGS2 has serious burn-in problems and blue-shift issues for starters.

You're right. I can live with it.

The main issue I have is that some units have it some dont. The only trouble is exchange unit for one with less screen issue.

Desavona

I am so glad that i have had 0 screen issues with my GS2 in the 12mths i have owned it. Blacks are black, whites are white and no burn in to speak of. :) I'm guessing i will be equally as lucky with my GS3.

kehs

Banned
I don't get it :(

Light bleed has been a huge problem with LCD screens that nobody really cares about unless they put then in situations where they're apparent.

Like a samoled screen showing pure black in a cupboard and photographed in a 15 second exposure.

Top Bottom