• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Davidion

This Wolfson DAC, does it provide clear phone calls, or clear sound playback (or both)?

I'd be very surprised if the DAC affected the actual calls in any meaningful way, if at all. The biggest impact would be on music playback quality.

As someone with a dedicated MP3 player, this means little to me.

Salamndar

I have been uing the phone for 3 weeks now and here is my take :

Battery life is an improvement over the S1 and S2, s1 and s2 requires one charge per day, the S3 can keep up between a day and a half and almost 2 ( on lighter usage ).

Performance is amazing from the CPU, the 1.4 quad A9 CPU by Samsung is just amazing and booting the device is only a matter of seconds, aps launching takes no time at all. a big improvement over the S1 and S2.

The physical shap is good, the Plastic used on the phone " feels" better than the S1 and S2, it is a little hard to use a device by one hand but not impossible, the brushed silver plastic frame around the device looks amazing but i fear it migh loose it's color over time or maybe not.

The monitor is 4.8".....yes it is big but it is a pleasure to enjoy a clip on this beauty, res. is amazing, the colors are awesome, black is really black and white is........not so white....and this the only bad point so far in the phone.

Now I need to start buying some accessories.

It's clear that Samsung wants its flagship Samsung Galaxy S III to be ubiquitous.

In addition to selling it on Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and U.S. Cellular in the upcoming weeks, the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich phone will also sell on C Spire Wireless, formerly Cellular South.

Today, the regional carrier announced the Galaxy S III as its debut handset for the 4G LTE network it plans to launch in September to 20 Mississippi markets.

C Spire will announce the Galaxy S III's pricing and availability "in the coming weeks."
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57451900-251/c-spire-nabs-its-own-samsung-galaxy-s-iii/

that's six!

Gattsu25

Banned
I have been uing the phone for 3 weeks now and here is my take :

Battery life is an improvement over the S1 and S2, s1 and s2 requires one charge per day, the S3 can keep up between a day and a half and almost 2 ( on lighter usage ).

Performance is amazing from the CPU, the 1.4 quad A9 CPU by Samsung is just amazing and booting the device is only a matter of seconds, aps launching takes no time at all. a big improvement over the S1 and S2.

The physical shap is good, the Plastic used on the phone " feels" better than the S1 and S2, it is a little hard to use a device by one hand but not impossible, the brushed silver plastic frame around the device looks amazing but i fear it migh loose it's color over time or maybe not.

The monitor is 4.8".....yes it is big but it is a pleasure to enjoy a clip on this beauty, res. is amazing, the colors are awesome, black is really black and white is........not so white....and this the only bad point so far in the phone.

Now I need to start buying some accessories.
With the exception of the case that was required by the iPhone 4's antenna design flaw, I feel that the only accessory that is ever truly needed for a smartphone is a car charger.

JayDub

Anyone know if ICS on the GS3 support message access profile (MAP)? It allows SMS to be sent to the car's infotainment system.

tokkun

good question. does it have a comparatively good dac compared to other phones?

It's integrated into the S4 I believe, so it should be the same as the international One S:

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_s-review-746p5.php

The cleanest audio output we have seen

The HTC One S performance in our audio quality test came as a really pleasant surprise to us. It appears that the Beats influence hasn't been limited to a single equalizer preset this time as the smartphone delivers the cleanest output we have seen from any device so far.

When connected to an active external amplifier, the HTC One S audio is simply flawless - volume levels are a little above average and it got excellent scores on every part of our test.

What's most impressive though is the One S retains virtually the same performance when you plug in a pair of headphones. The stereo crosstalk takes the tiniest dip of any smartphone we've seen so far, while the rest of the readings are either totally unaffected or worsen by an undetectable amount. Volume levels remain the same too, so it's arguably the most impressive overall performance to date.

minx

Just pre-ordered a white GS3. Never thought I would leave IPhone. Apple really dropped the ball with minimal improvements to iOS6 and the rumored "taller 4" screen".

SRG01

Oh man, I don't know what to do. Should I bite the bullet on the GS3 or wait for Note 2 and hope it has a AWS variant?!

My One X had a tiny, but annoying, dead pixel. I tried getting used to it, but whenever I use my phone my eyes starts looking for it.

I just returned it yesterday after I used it for only 2 days. Will get a replacement sent to me next week, but I'll be in Thailand by then *does the conga dance*

To be honest I kinda regret buying a "smart phone" I think I'm too old for this shit lol .. my iPad+BB combo was good enough for me

I'll probably gift my One X to my sister or something

sun-drop

a good gauge of the power of this thing in starting apss is the android pulse app.

that new reader used to take 3 to 4 sec to load from start .. S3 it opens pretty much in one second.

then again ... i just showed off virtua tennis on the thing ...while running a 1080p video clip in pop out mode over the top of it .... this phone is a beast

balddemon

Banned
so my phone just died today (blackberry curve 8550) and i was thinking about pre ordering this and perhaps getting it before the 21st. it's either that or get a free phone and wait for the iphone 5

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Congrats guys, Apple isn't going to be able to block you from getting your hands on the SIII on launch:

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-will-launch-time-push-early-judgement-denied

Apple won't be able to hold back the Galaxy S III tide in the US, as their request for an early injunction hearing against Samsung's latest has been denied by U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh in San Jose. Because her calendar was so full she had no time to hear the case before the June 21 Galaxy S III launch, effectively dashing Apple's hopes to keep it out of your hands. This does not affect the trial itself, which will go on as planned -- just not when Apple wants it to.

This is a big deal to both sides. The Galaxy S III is expected to sell well, and many users will be under a new two-year agreement when Apple releases their next model sometime later this year. According to analyst Dan Levine (read the source link), postponing the launch of the Galaxy S III was a major part of Apple's strategy in the battle for smartphone dominance, and we have to agree. Once users get the new Galaxy S III in their hands, they may not want to look at any other phone for a while.

tokkun

Hopefully samsung's engineers produced similar results to this in the S3.

Does the north american One X/XL/EVO have this same codec?

If the DAC is indeed integrated into the S4 SoC, it would make sense for them to have the same one, since all of the phones use pretty much the same SoC.

For whatever reason, GSMArena did not include audio tests in their reviews of the AT&T One X and EVO LTE, so it is not confirmed.

So guys, I might be forced to have to upgrade early and get a Nexus instead of the SIII(stupid Verizon).

How does the Nexus hold up? I currently have a Droid X.

Mine arrived today, at last, due to the blue hyperglaze issue.

It's big and it's slippery. Almost too big and it's definitely too easy to slip out of your hand. The potential to drop this on the floor is HUGE which is disappointing. Really wish they used a more matte finish and feel.

Maybe it's me but the Smart Stay just doesn't work either.

Jeff-DSA

Got the ICS upgrade on my GS2, so I can probably hold off of getting a GS3 for a bit, man, the thing just looks so dang awesome.

I also saw a bunch of Notes at E3. Made me want to take a second look in that direction. Seeing them in action, they were pretty nice.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Man, the preorders for this thing must be crazy. A bunch of places in Canada had to stop their preorders in order to manage demand.

Ecto311

Got the ICS upgrade on my GS2, so I can probably hold off of getting a GS3 for a bit, man, the thing just looks so dang awesome.

I also saw a bunch of Notes at E3. Made me want to take a second look in that direction. Seeing them in action, they were pretty nice.

I was in the same boat for a long time about the note but after borrowing one from work I found that I felt silly holding that to my head to make calls. I wish the S3 had the wacom tech though.

I just pre ordered the S3 from att premier. Anyone that already have it now have a recommendation for a case? I wish companies like getuncommon.com would make cases for this thing. I have one for my iphone4 and its the best case I ever had one a phone.

Top Bottom