• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

demented

Can anyone clarify this for me, Europe gets 1.4 quad core with 1gb ram and USA gets 1.5 dual core with 2 gb ram but they also released/announced 1.4 quad core with 2 gb ram ONLY in Korea? So nowhere else? Can it be imported, will there be any side effects(not work on eu networks or something idk).
I really want 2gb quad core :p

FireCloud

Well thanks to Verizon's new plans that are about to go in effect, I've pre-ordered the Samsung Galaxy S3. I'm excited for it. It looks like a good device in terms of both tech and software.

While looking around on-line for more information, I stumbled upon a video showing some of the USB capabilities of the S3. I found it interesting that the S3 can drive an external HDD. I don't know when I'd use that but it is a nice feature.

Here's a link to the video... It is a long video BTW...just over 27 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46IiRyigUH0

Can anyone clarify this for me, Europe gets 1.4 quad core with 1gb ram and USA gets 1.5 dual core with 2 gb ram but they also released/announced 1.4 quad core with 2 gb ram ONLY in Korea? So nowhere else? Can it be imported, will there be any side effects(not work on eu networks or something idk).
I really want 2gb quad core :p

The Dual Core chip performs almost identically to the Quad Core, I think most people would have a hard time telling the difference.

Priz

T-Mobile dropped the ball with no SG III pre-order.
I figure they have their "ANY PHONE WE OFFER CURRENTLY FOR FREE*!" Father's Day sale and NOT take a bath on the Galaxy S3 ("Hey, we've got a hot new smartphone which we expect to make a killing on... and then turn around and give it away for free." Yeah... NO.) for Fri-Sat and then probably on Sunday or Monday, once this promo is over then they'll put up the Galaxy S3 preorders, maybe do free overnight shipping or something so they ship out Monday or Tuesday and are received by the 21st, same day as in store.

(* After paying the normal or higher in-store price coupled with a Mail-in Rebate. I seem to remember reading somewhere that only around 40-45% of Mail-in Rebates are fulfilled? I'm sure if they did it for the S3 on this promo that number would be much higher, but still... wonder how many people will sign up for T-Mobile specifically because the phone was free and then never get around to sending in the rebate.)

Priz

rozay said:
The Dual Core chip performs almost identically to the Quad Core, I think most people would have a hard time telling the difference.
no
Uh... ok.

From another forum:
The international SGS3 uses the Exynos 4 Quad (4412) CPU, which is quad-core in the sense of "slapping together" four ARM Cortex-A9 cores. US/Canadian SGS3 uses the dual-core (Qualcomm) Snapdragon S4 "Krait" CPU.

Now here's the thing. Qualcomm has license to implement their own ARM CPU architectures, instead of rehashing ARM Holdings designs (e.g., Cortex-A9) like Samsung does. The S4 actually contains a number of architectural improvements over the A9 that makes it closer to the newer ARM CPU design, the Cortex-A15. This means that, clock-for-clock, core-for-core, the S4 is faster than the Exynos.

In short, this means two things. First, even where apps can take "full" advantage of a quad-core processor, the Exynos isn't 2x faster than the S4. And in real world performance, they're probably pretty darn comparable.

But there's two really cool parts about the S4. First, it's build on a smaller process and uses a single chip design for all radios, so it's very power efficient. Second, it's the only LTE-supporting SoC/radio in its class, so a bunch of 2012 US/Canadian devices from both HTC and Samsung are going to use it. Hopefully this means that S4-based devices actually have pretty decent custom ROM (if not manufacturer) support, despite the lack of a Nexus device based on it. That's a nice change from the plethora of SoCs we had in 2011, even within "same model" devices, that didn't help things very much.

Damn I don't know if I want the GS3 or the Nexus. Someone make the decision for me please lol
If you want to take 3 step back, go with the nexus.
If you want to take 1 step back, go with the one x.
If you want the current best go with the gs3.
If you want to think you have the best go with the iPhone 5.

rozay

Banned
Uh... ok.

From another forum:
You're neglecting the superior GPU. There's plenty of hardware acceleration in the OS now. Thanks for ignoring the part of my post where I said its not something most users will be able to see a major difference with on 4.0, other versions might be a different story.

Menaged

If you want to take 3 step back, go with the nexus.
If you want to take 1 step back, go with the one x.
If you want the current best go with the gs3.
If you want to think you have the best go with the iPhone 5.

You mind elaborting on it a bit?
I'm buying a phone next week and I'm not sure which one to pick - one x or gs3.
There's like a 130 USD difference, and from the little I read, the one x is great.

teiresias

Just put in my order at Sprint this afternoon - through the website. Hopefully I'm not too far back in the queue. Went with the 16GB Pebble Blue. Now to find a case and screen protector. I like the looks of this case, actually:

Rock Quicksand Case

You mind elaborting on it a bit?
I'm buying a phone next week and I'm not sure which one to pick - one x or gs3.
There's like a 130 USD difference, and from the little I read, the one x is great.

um...here we go again...

I am not bias, and I am not a fanboy of any manufacturer or device.
I just say how I see it.

Well I had the Gnex and now I have the One X(s4 version) and will be getting the GS3(s4 version)

The One X is a great device and mine doesn't have any of the wifi issues and stuff. BUT I think the GS3 is slightly better.

both GS3 and Onex will have the S4 dual core but the GS3 will have the 2gigs of ram, so performance will be better. Even thought I have no performance issue with the one x so far.

The GS3 also has an SD card slot, so you're not stuck with 16gig.

Also, The GS3 has bigger and removal battery. The one x has great battery life, so the bigger battery of the GS3 will probably beat it.

Screen wise, majority of the people who had both, says The One X screen is better. The One X screen is really gorgeous, bright, sharp and natural color. I doubt the GS3 will beat it.

Design wise, I do like the one X more. Its kinda like the lumia 900 in away, very modern.
The GS3 looks like a more rounded Note, I actually think the Gnex looks better than the GS3.

camera wise, I think both are even.

Sound wise both will use the same DAC,..so it will probably be even..

I think development will be in favor of the GS3, because of the larger user base.

The thing that I'm really curious about that not a lot of people seem to comment on is the reception of the GS3. So far the one x reception is great.

I was going to get rid of the One X after I get the GS3, but now I might just keep both.
The One X screen is just too perfect to let go, plus my unit has not issues....

I don't have a problem recommending the One X at all.

rozay

Banned
You don't know what you're talking about and are wrong. Benchmarks show I'm right.
Waiting for anandtech to provide a definite answer for the latter, can I see which benchmarks you're referring to? There isn't anything published to my knowledge comparing the S4 GS3 and the exynos GS3. I'm not trying to downplay the S4's capabilities at all, but from what I've seen the exynos+Mali 400 is more powerful.

Because you want to bring up benchmarks: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5810/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-performance-preview I don't consider this *definitive proof* because it's a prerelease exynos GS3 and the only S4 device we have to compare it to is the One X (which should perform similarly, but samsung's engineers might eek some extra power out of the S4 GS3) but the only benchmark that wasn't beaten by the exynos was one developed by Qualcomm.

While they're not direct benchmarks between the S4 and Exynos 4, there are comparisons with a Snapdragon S4 with 1 gig of ram and a bunch of Arm A9 based phones right on Anandtech http://www.anandtech.com/show/5559/...mance-preview-msm8960-adreno-225-benchmarks/2

We won't go too deep into Krait's CPU architecture, because we've already done so in an earlier piece. What we can provide however is a quick recap. Architecturally Krait isn't a design of tradeoffs, rather it's a significant step forward along almost all vectors. Each core can fetch, decode and execute more instructions in parallel than its predecessor (Scorpion, Snapdragon S1/S2/S3).

Even if you're not comparing to Qualcomm's previous architecture, Krait maintains the same low level advantage over any other ARM Cortex A9 based design (NVIDIA Tegra 2/3, TI OMAP 4, Apple A5). Clock speeds are up with only a small increase in pipeline depth. The combination of these two factors alone should result in significant performance improvements for even single threaded applications. If you want to abstract by one more level: Krait will be faster regardless of application, regardless of usage model. You're looking at a generational gap in architecture here, not simply a clock bump.

Krait and the MSM8960 are 20 - 35% faster than the dual-core Cortex A9s used in Samsung's Galaxy Nexus.

The Exynos is a quadcore Cortex A9 chip, just because it's a quad core doesn't make it twice as fast as the dual-core A9's the S4 was benchmarked against. In single threaded apps the S4 is going to be faster, and for multi-threaded ones they're going to really need to be well programmed and well threaded to make the difference noticeable.

Add to the fact that the S4 is being paired with 2 gigs of ram vs 1 gig on the Exynos, and it's absolutely silly to think that the Exynos is going to be any form or shape faster in any noticeable to the end user.

rozay

Banned
That's definitely true for single threaded apps, and honestly the ram situation isn't a big deal if you're not planning on flashing roms because the phone has hyper-aggressive app closing. I'm going to wait and have actual impressions and benchmarks between the two devices before trusting impressions from a qualcomm developer device though (they tend to perform significantly better than phones that make it into retail)

FireCloud

Wait the SIII can hold sd cards??

Would it be smarter to just get the 16GB and get a bigger memory card down the road if I need it?

I opted for the 16GB SGS3 myself. I'll drop a micro SD card in it for picture/video storage. After two years with 8GB internal and a 16GB card in my DroidX, I actually use less than half of it. All of my music is on the Google cloud. That alone freed up most of the storage I had been using.

I don't think storage will be a concern with the S3. Now finding a decent car mount or landscape charging dock is another matter entirely.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
K sounds like the GS3. I like the white one

Corran, I haven't been playing anything, not even Halo. It's really sad actually. I just have no desire to play games right now.

shinshoryuken was referring to the US versions, both of which use the Snapdragon S4 SoC.

that comparison you linked to is between the international versions. in those models, the GS3 has a Wolfson DAC and i dunno what DAC the One X has, but i guess it's whatever comes with Tegra 3 and it doesn't perform so well, which is kind of funny since the Tegra 2 used Wolfson...

Nakazato

Good news for those who have yet to pre-order the Samsung Galaxy S3 on AT&T. Both Target and Amazon Wireless have the Galaxy S3 listed for $149.99. There’s a catch to the promotion, though.

The $149.99 deal for the Samsung Galaxy S3 on Target is only valid for those who are looking to upgrade their phones on AT&T. If you’re a new subscriber, the price is set at $189.99. Pre-ordering the phone now will guarantee that it will be shipped on June 21, which happens to be AT&T’s official launch date for the Galaxy S3 as well – says the fine prints

yay

sun-drop

Well thanks to Verizon's new plans that are about to go in effect, I've pre-ordered the Samsung Galaxy S3. I'm excited for it. It looks like a good device in terms of both tech and software.

While looking around on-line for more information, I stumbled upon a video showing some of the USB capabilities of the S3. I found it interesting that the S3 can drive an external HDD. I don't know when I'd use that but it is a nice feature.

Here's a link to the video... It is a long video BTW...just over 27 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46IiRyigUH0

and have native support for the ps3 controller http://youtu.be/UQZB3PsMLh0

sun-drop

every day with the blue gs3 is just another i marvel at it.

it's pretty nuts, and i'l coming off a S2 ...that says a lot.

i was a S2 owner that was pretty confident that my phone's OS was as snappy as it possibly could be ...but some how ..the Gs3 feels faster. it's a weird feeling ... maybe it's a combination of feedbac tweaks sammy has pulled but the phone feels so ridiculously smooth.

you can write off the nature pr crap as pure BS marketing .. but yeh ..i can see where they are coming from here.

and the industrial design of the thing should win awards this year ... hold it in yr hand ... watch it charge on a flat surface ... so fkn slick.

seriously, tapered edges for the mother fkn win

i think every single S2 owning buddy of mine (10+ btw) who holds the thing swearing it feels lighter than a s2 is proof enough of the design wins here.

my work mate mistakenly knocked it outta my hand today and it dropped from waist height to a carpeted floor :( ... no case and no damage.

Menaged

um...here we go again...

I am not bias, and I am not a fanboy of any manufacturer or device.
I just say how I see it.

Well I had the Gnex and now I have the One X(s4 version) and will be getting the GS3(s4 version)

The One X is a great device and mine doesn't have any of the wifi issues and stuff. BUT I think the GS3 is slightly better.

both GS3 and Onex will have the S4 dual core but the GS3 will have the 2gigs of ram, so performance will be better. Even thought I have no performance issue with the one x so far.

The GS3 also has an SD card slot, so you're not stuck with 16gig.

Also, The GS3 has bigger and removal battery. The one x has great battery life, so the bigger battery of the GS3 will probably beat it.

Screen wise, majority of the people who had both, says The One X screen is better. The One X screen is really gorgeous, bright, sharp and natural color. I doubt the GS3 will beat it.

Design wise, I do like the one X more. Its kinda like the lumia 900 in away, very modern.
The GS3 looks like a more rounded Note, I actually think the Gnex looks better than the GS3.

camera wise, I think both are even.

Sound wise both will use the same DAC,..so it will probably be even..

I think development will be in favor of the GS3, because of the larger user base.

The thing that I'm really curious about that not a lot of people seem to comment on is the reception of the GS3. So far the one x reception is great.

I was going to get rid of the One X after I get the GS3, but now I might just keep both.
The One X screen is just too perfect to let go, plus my unit has not issues....

I don't have a problem recommending the One X at all.

Thanks a lot, that was very helpful

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My best friend just called and said he finally pulled the trigger. He's been debating, and he was having problems getting his corporate discount if he preordered. He ended up calling customer service and got something straight though and said he placed his preorder last night through Verizon. I'll be interested to see it when he gets his.

Top Bottom