• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

wooooo!!

my pebble blue was dispatched earlier and I should get it on 16-18th!!

sorry, not in north america, been waiting for my pre-order for a while and they kept delaying it

Darkkn

Got my S3 yesterday and i'm very impressed coming from the first gs. The design is beautiful in person and the device feels good to hold and premium at the same time. The screen is amazing, by far the best screen in my house and the pentile matrix is nowhere to be seen.

Spec-wise it's a beast. Games play great and everything is smooth. Last time i upgraded my old GS'es firmware, the automatic installing of like 40 apps(cloud sync) took maybe 10 minutes and the phone was very laggy to use while stuff was installing. GS3 on the other hand installed all the applications in like 2 minutes, while the phone was smooth as butter to use.

Camera seems great and some of the Samsung software additions are very worthwhile, like Smart Stay and other little tweaks to the ICS. TW is really not that different from the stock ICS, only really some of the stock apps are downgrade, like messaging and phone/contacts. Messaging and some of the dialogue pop-ups look especially ugly in otherwise pretty ICS environment.

Overall, very impressed by this phone.

Also, i was initially going in to buy the Pebble Blue, but after the hands on with it, i found it to be too shiny and the shininess made it look weird... White one is gorgeous.

Boken

Banned
Also, i was initially going in to buy the Pebble Blue, but after the hands on with it, i found it to be too shiny and the shininess made it look weird... White one is gorgeous.

I haven't found a demo pebble blue around here so now I'm not sure which colour to get now. Ack!

Cudder

The S Voice from S3 has been extracted and can be loaded onto the Nexus. Not sure if the phone needs to be rooted or not.

You're right. Just looked it up. It worked before for GN users, but Samsung seems to have blocked it. Now you need root to be able to use the app. Oh well.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So apparently all canadians are getting the 50 gig dropbox thing. Guess that week delay isn't too bad.

FireCloud

Got my S3 yesterday and i'm very impressed coming from the first gs. The design is beautiful in person and the device feels good to hold and premium at the same time. The screen is amazing, by far the best screen in my house and the pentile matrix is nowhere to be seen.

. . .

Overall, very impressed by this phone.

Thanks for the review. I was unsure about the build quality. My current phone is a DROIDX. Whatever you may think of Motorola phones, most people usually agree that the are well built. Two years with no case and no screen protector and it still looks new. Some of the physical buttons are getting hard to press but all in all it has been a great phone for me. Good to hear the S3 isn't as cheaply made as some of the sites would have us believe.

BTW, I picked white for my S3 preorder also.

atomsk

Party Pooper
the hype got to me and I ordered one after reading the techradar review

this will replace my 3 year old launch Palm Pre (still running like a champ)

Loxley

Decided that I'll (hopefully) be upgrading to the S3 when I visit home in early July. All the glowing reviews have convinced me that this is the phone to get. Granted most of my music is on iTunes, but that's a relatively small price to pay.

These days more and more people have been telling me to get music off Amazon anyway, which I have absolutely no problem at all doing given that iTunes has been nothing but a giant pain in the ass since day one. This'll be my first smartphone so I'm pretty hyped, now comes the wait...

Gattsu25

Banned
Decided that I'll (hopefully) be upgrading to the S3 when I visit home in early July. All the glowing reviews have convinced me that this is the phone to get. Granted most of my music is on iTunes, but that's a relatively small price to pay.

These days more and more people have been telling me to get music off Amazon anyway, which I have absolutely no problem at all doing given that iTunes has been nothing but a giant pain in the ass since day one. This'll be my first smartphone so I'm pretty hyped, now comes the wait...
Download all of your iTunes music and upload it to your amazon mp3 storage

You might need to buy an album from amazon to bump up your storage limit IIRC. There are a bunch of $1 classical music albums you can use for that purpose

methodman

Banned
when is this shipping at at&t? i pre ordered the first day it was possible, and I have no clue when this thing is gonna be getting to me. Ugh, I'm so done with my iphone 3gs lol

Ecto311

when is this shipping at at&t? i pre ordered the first day it was possible, and I have no clue when this thing is gonna be getting to me. Ugh, I'm so done with my iphone 3gs lol

Every rumor I found said it was shipping on the 18th. I ordered mine from premier and have it still pending right now. Shit thing is I work for att - we have no idea when the phone is coming out officially on our end.

Anybody know of any unlocking methods yet? Going to buy mine from Rogers in a couple weeks, hopefully being able to use it on my current plan.

Darkkn

Few minor negatives that i've noticed after few days of using this device:

- It gets hot when playing games or browsing Internet for long periods, not like it burns the hand, but definitely a bit uncomfortable.
- Slim home button at the very bottom of the device is not ideal as it can be a bit more difficult to press.
- Wake-up from sleep takes 1-2 seconds. I find this to be the most annoying thing about this device. It's not a big deal, but definitely a little annoying.

Nemesis_

So, guys, what accessories? And where to buy from? And who ships internationally?

Nowhere seems to be stocking stuff here in Australia.

I've got no idea which cases are nice and worth using >_>

Nakazato

- It gets hot when playing games or browsing Internet for long periods, not like it burns the hand, but definitely a bit uncomfortable.
- Slim home button at the very bottom of the device is not ideal as it can be a bit more difficult to press.
- Wake-up from sleep takes 1-2 seconds. I find this to be the most annoying thing about this device. It's not a big deal, but definitely a little annoying.

is that the US version ?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Samsung must've been smoking the highest quality crack to think water droplets as a section sound was not going to be irritating -- shit is annoying

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Samsung going after the business market with this phone.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-getting-safe-stateside

Also apparently Samsung does not know how acronyms work:

It looks like Samsung are treading on RIM's toes a little with this latest announcement. From July 2012, Sammy will be offering the Galaxy S III SAFE (Samsung Approved For Business). Available to AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless and US Cellular customers the SAFE-branded Galaxy S III supports a full suite of enterprise-ready features and capabilities with support for 338 IT Policies. This includes on-device AES-256 bit encryption, enhanced support for Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and support for industry-leading Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Mobile Device Management (MDM) solutions.

FireCloud

Another Youtube video I found on the S3 connectivity.

This one shows the Nova3 beta begin played on the S3 using a wireless PS3 controller and being played on the TV. At about 2:53s in the video, the guy shows what program he used to access the PS3 controller wirelessly. Seems to be a third party app that requires root permission. It is a pretty slick app. Hope there is some way to come up with a non-root required version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gq_ZU9p5Nk

I don't think this is very uncommon. My Droid X does this all the time. So did my Droid OG.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well, I was all thinking I'd upgrade from my WP7 Focus to a iPhone 4S, but then this thing jumps out at me and now I'm sold on the S3.

In the US, looks like I can get it (with contract, obv) from AT&T for $199 or from Target or Amazon Wireless for $149. I've never gotten a phone from either of the later but I guess I'll give it a go, since it's ~$50 cheaper.

Ecto311

Well, I was all thinking I'd upgrade from my WP7 Focus to a iPhone 4S, but then this thing jumps out at me and now I'm sold on the S3.

In the US, looks like I can get it (with contract, obv) from AT&T for $199 or from Target or Amazon Wireless for $149. I've never gotten a phone from either of the later but I guess I'll give it a go, since it's ~$50 cheaper.

I got the htc one x from amazon wireless a few weeks ago and returned it. Great service and nice people on the phone. Even sent me a fee gift of a amazon basics car charger. I would go through them again any time.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I got the htc one x from amazon wireless a few weeks ago and returned it. Great service and nice people on the phone. Even sent me a fee gift of a amazon basics car charger. I would go through them again any time.

Awesome, thanks. I've never had a problem with Amazon (been a Prime member since it launched, been a customer since they were just a bookstore primarily) and figured their cell service would be up to snuff.

Gonna pre-order a S III as soon as I hit Submit Reply on this, I just hope it isn't back-ordered for months. I doubt it will be, probably get it next week or some such. I can tough it out with my Focus until then ;)

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
What's up with T-Mobile? I'm waiting to hear something about this phone. I'm finally ready to upgrade from my N1.
IIRC my gf said when she called that most stores will have them the 21st to pick up, you cant pre-order them though (no idea why), she even went in to see if they can hold one for her but no dice.

Linkhero1

IIRC my gf said when she called that most stores will have them the 21st to pick up, you cant pre-order them though (no idea why), she even went in to see if they can hold one for her but no dice.

Any idea on pricing for T-Mobile customers who are upgrading?

Another Youtube video I found on the S3 connectivity.

This one shows the Nova3 beta begin played on the S3 using a wireless PS3 controller and being played on the TV. At about 2:53s in the video, the guy shows what program he used to access the PS3 controller wirelessly. Seems to be a third party app that requires root permission. It is a pretty slick app. Hope there is some way to come up with a non-root required version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gq_ZU9p5Nk

it requires root because some of the background things the app has to do in order to set up the connection require root access.

AndyD

aka andydumi
This may be a stupid question but here goes:

So this phone's screen is 4.8 inches 720p but it has separate hardware buttons on the bottom. Something like the Nexus is 4.6 inches 720p with on screen buttons.

So does that mean the S3 uses the entire screen for functions/apps at all times, or does it get that empty black bar with the 3dot menu all the time like some videos show?

Top Bottom