• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Husker86

This may be a stupid question but here goes:

So this phone's screen is 4.8 inches 720p but it has separate hardware buttons on the bottom. Something like the Nexus is 4.6 inches 720p with on screen buttons.

So does that mean the S3 uses the entire screen for functions/apps at all times, or does it get that empty black bar with the 3dot menu all the time like some videos show?

The GS3 doesn't get that bar because it has a hardware menu button. The HTC doesn't, so it gets that bar.

And yes, the S3 (ignoring the size difference) has more usable screen space than the Galaxy Nexus.

Socreges

Banned
Wow

Bell is deliberately trying to mislead consumers into thinking that the Galaxy S II is a new, revolutionary phone through their advertising. Not entirely sure why. They probably have a ton to unload and are hoping they can convince some people into thinking that the hype is for the SII.

eosos

Banned
Really stuck between this and the HTC One X. I can get the S3 now(preorder) or wait until my contract is up and go to a new carrier for the HTC in December. Hmmmm... decisions.

zedge

Wow

Bell is deliberately trying to mislead consumers into thinking that the Galaxy S II is a new, revolutionary phone through their advertising. Not entirely sure why. They probably have a ton to unload and are hoping they can convince some people into thinking that the hype is for the SII.
Do you mean the hd lte one? Noticed that. It did just release though in the past few months.

Wow

because it is bell.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It uses the entire screen all the time.

The GS3 doesn't get that bar because it has a hardware menu button. The HTC doesn't, so it gets that bar.

And yes, the S3 (ignoring the size difference) has more usable screen space than the Galaxy Nexus.

Thank you.

The GS3 got it right.

Why waste space...

That was my thought too, but I wanted to double check. It seems like such a huge improvement.

TimeKillr

Do you mean the hd lte one? Noticed that. It did just release though in the past few months.

That's funny, though.

WTF is a GS2 HD LTE? The GS2 LTE has been out for a long time, so the only reason why they're pushing it is because the 3 is coming out, I guess.

It's still fucking ridiculous, though. More proof Bell is just... stupid.

VPhys

I'm surprised Retail Price is only $599. And the galaxy nexus is going for about 450 to 500 on eBay. Hmm is it worth the upgrade from the nexus?

Phoenix

Tell us what you know. I lost my phone this weekend. So I'm out of a phone until this drops. :(

If I told you what I know I'd absolutely be fired. Wednesday is D-Day in NYC. That much I can tell you.

No hype train, just delivered awesomeness on Day 1.

Socreges

Banned
That's funny, though.

WTF is a GS2 HD LTE? The GS2 LTE has been out for a long time, so the only reason why they're pushing it is because the 3 is coming out, I guess.

It's still fucking ridiculous, though. More proof Bell is just... stupid.
I don't think Bell's marketing team is driven by stupidity. They must have a reason for wanting to unload SIIs immediately. Maybe they're trying to position it as a cheaper SIII alternative for all the people that buy into the hype but can't afford the SIII. Either way they must know they're going to cause confusion, but probably see some benefit in this.

Babalu.

stupid stupid stupid tmobile.

I want to preorder nowwwww!

now i'm going to have to go early thursday morning and be late for work to pick this up. Theres no way i'm NOT getting this day 1. My stupid galaxy 1 phone is fucking up worse and worse everyday now like as if it was programmed to die on GS3 launch.

Avixph

stupid stupid stupid tmobile.

I want to preorder nowwwww!

now i'm going to have to go early thursday morning and be late for work to pick this up. Theres no way i'm NOT getting this day 1. My stupid galaxy 1 phone is fucking up worse and worse everyday now like as if it was programmed to die on GS3 launch.
If the average T-mobile customer doesn't know that the phone will be coming to their carrier who's to say it won't run out by mid afternoon.

sun-drop

Another Youtube video I found on the S3 connectivity.

This one shows the Nova3 beta begin played on the S3 using a wireless PS3 controller and being played on the TV. At about 2:53s in the video, the guy shows what program he used to access the PS3 controller wirelessly. Seems to be a third party app that requires root permission. It is a pretty slick app. Hope there is some way to come up with a non-root required version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gq_ZU9p5Nk

works like a charm!

virtua tennis is awsome on this thing.

Bad7667

My friend is looking for a new phone to buy and is looking at the Galaxy S3. But he doesn't know if he should wait for the iphone 5 or just buy the S3 when it comes out.

He`s using a blackberry now, so there isn't any reason for him to choose one over the other on a familiarity level or apps.

Cipherr

My friend is looking for a new phone to buy and is looking at the Galaxy S3. But he doesn't know if he should wait for the iphone 5 or just buy the S3 when it comes out.

He`s using a blackberry now, so there isn't any reason for him to choose one over the other on a familiarity level or apps.

Tell him waiting for the next flagship will always likely end with a phone that is more powerful/impressive.

The next iPhone will likely be faster than the S3, and 5-6 months after the next iPhone the S4 will hit and be faster than it, and 5-6 months later...so on and so forth. If he is hoping to buy a phone, and have nothing match the tech in it for even 6 months, he is wasting his time tbh. Things are moving way to fast in the mobile area right now for any device to remain 'king' for very long.

Have him buy whichever he wants, he will have to decide lol.

Phoenix

I love both platforms. Android is coming around. It's still got some huge areas of stupid in the interface, but it's easy to customize. IOS ecosystem is substantially stronger though. That is changing, but Android is still the port target not the initial development target.

Phoenix

True, I'm not sure why those sellers got such good prices. Maybe a fluke and not what I should expect to get for mine.

It's because of two reasons:

1) the models google sells are true dev units. Don't have the super screen and such. the eBay sellers are selling better models in general.

2) consumers are still generally Ignorant of the ability to buy the phone direct from Google.

Phoenix

I doubt that. Highly.

especially not on paper, maybe for the fact that iOS simply feels snappier than Android, but I don't think that if they stick with the current size, they can beat the S3's specs in that regard.

They should absolutely be able to beat the dual core one shipping in the United States. They are likely deploying their quad core and it should beat out tr quad core S3 in instruction per second clock.

hope32

What color is everyone getting? I'm leaning toward white but will check out both in store before i make a final decision

Sethos

Banned
At work we had a test model in blue that doesn't take SIM cards, loved it. The colour wasn't really my thing so I had to go with White plus the cover.

i0gv18u1Em8Lf.png

ibnojpaThikr7P.png

This thing is phenomenal, great features, everything is super fast and boy have I missed Android. Native radio is going to be sweet on my daily 4 hour commutes. Only thing that bothers me is that under Email you can't show "Combined view" per default, so you always have to switch to that view if you're like me with 5-6 email accounts attached.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I have a question on the official cover, i know it replaces the back, but does the "new back" look/feel the same as the original back?

FireCloud

So I have a question on the official cover, i know it replaces the back, but does the "new back" look/feel the same as the original back?

Good question.

Also, does it get in the way when taking pictures? Of course, I know you wouldn't fold it back as that would cover the camera, but does having it dangling down under the handset get in the way?

Nemesis_

So, guys, what accessories? And where to buy from? And who ships internationally?

Nowhere seems to be stocking stuff here in Australia.

I've got no idea which cases are nice and worth using >_>

Any ideas from those who have one already?

How are the official cases?

atomsk

Party Pooper
What color is everyone getting? I'm leaning toward white but will check out both in store before i make a final decision

Pebble Blue, but I haven't really thought about what kind/color of case I want yet... kind of pointless to think about until Sprint actually decides to ship them.

watching the Sprint community forums has been fairly amusing

Top Bottom