• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Good question.

Also, does it get in the way when taking pictures? Of course, I know you wouldn't fold it back as that would cover the camera, but does having it dangling down under the handset get in the way?

Oh I didn't think of that. Hmm...

atomsk

Party Pooper
for what it's worth, wirefly just posted this on facebook

Well, here we go again. We’ve just been notified that the Samsung Galaxy S III is being delayed. We made you a promise that we’d keep you updated on inventory information so we wanted to get this out to you just as soon as we received notice from Sprint. As of now, Sprint is informing us that the new release date will be June 28th. If for any reason this changes we’ll be sure to let you know. The delay is affecting all national retailers, both online and in stores. We don’t like delays any more than you do, but wanted you to hear the news as soon as possible.

atomsk

Party Pooper
also for what it's worth sprint CSR are saying "The 16GB models are shipping out today."... but they're CSR who I'm sure are tired of hearing about this phone

Davidion

T-Mobile info up...supposedly...with shortages out the gate...

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/06/t-mobile-breaks-up-galaxy-s-iii-launch/

Samsung Galaxy S III Launch Update

To ensure customers receive the best possible experience, the Samsung Galaxy S III launch will now be broken into two phases. T-Mobile will still be the first carrier to offer the device in-store but the rollout will be in two phases instead of one.

Select Retail and Branded locations in the top 29 markets will launch as scheduled on June 21. In addition, a limited amount of Samsung Galaxy S III devices will be available on T-Mobile.com.

Due to the excitement surrounding the launch of the Samsung Galaxy S III, customer demand will exceed the expected launch quantity available on June 21 T-Mobile anticipates the remaining Retail and Branded locations will launch on June 27. Stores that do not receive the initial distribution, and stores who sell out of their initial stock, should use the GSIII Call Back List and contact customers when the devices are available.

Pricing will be as follows:

$629.99 Full Retail, $229.99 down on Value Plans with $20 EIP, $279.99 Classic plan after $50 mail-in rebate (2 year contract required)

The top 29 markets are as follows:

atomsk

Party Pooper
Sprint finally posts something

Due to overwhelming demand and limited supply for Sprint’s Samsung Galaxy S III, we are running a little behind on deliveries. The 16GB version of Samsung Galaxy S III device will be available in Web Sales and Telesales (1-800-SPRINT1) beginning on Thursday, June 21. It will be in all remaining sales channels next week.

We are optimistic that we’ll be shipping all Samsung Galaxy S III-16GB pre-orders this week and that they will be delivered by June 21 as anticipated. There is a chance, however, that we may be a day or two late. We anticipate shipping all Samsung Galaxy S III-32GB pre-orders next week.

Ephemeris

ib1vLLgYZzUPMs.gif

Seriously Tmo? Seriously?

329.99? Up Front?

hQbje.gif

Chairhome

I'm really, really sad. I've been waiting for the t-mobile announcement, expecting it to be around $250. $320 up front is terrible. I was planning on getting two, one for me and one for the wife. I missed out on the One S deal now (and the father's day sale, which was probably their intention). This sucks. Will have to reevaluate.

Davidion

Yeah I agree, not sure what TMO is smoking. I should have corporate discounts available to me, but if that doesn't bring it down to a satisfactory level...well, someone will have it on sale soon enough.

kehs

Banned
I'm really, really sad. I've been waiting for the t-mobile announcement, expecting it to be around $250. $320 up front is terrible. I was planning on getting two, one for me and one for the wife. I missed out on the One S deal now (and the father's day sale, which was probably their intention). This sucks. Will have to reevaluate.

Grab a GN until another deal comes along and then sell it for a couple hundred.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Went to verizon today, they couldn't tell me shit. Wish I knew what was going on. This launch reminds me of the transformer primes.

Cousteau

Went to verizon today, they couldn't tell me shit. Wish I knew what was going on. This launch reminds me of the transformer primes.

Yeah customer service is brilliant at most times. I talked to a Sprint rep 2 days ago and the lady said the phone wasnt on their site to preorder yet.

Ah now I know why Bell has been marketing the hd lte, the s2 is becoming EOL Shortly. It makes sense because the nexus is currently at 30 with a 3 year term, the hd lte is 100 and the s3 will be at 150 so it creates a nice set of price points for the top android phones on the market. The inquiries into the s3 have been pretty intense at work... People are salty that we aren't really willing to drop the price, but the majority of them aren't eligible for in store reductions So it ain't my problem.

But yeah, the galaxy hd lte hasn't been as popular as I anticipated, but Bell isn't misleading anyone into anything. In fact, bell's marketing is the most honest out of all of the big 3. Some lady called in today saying she was getting unlimited everything for 35 dollars, I had to correct her, pointing out rogers has unlimited "value" plans. She told me she was looking right at the brochure and I said "no you're not Trollol"

l&r...

Darkkn

For those of you who actually have the phone, would you say it's worth tracking down and installing the S Voice APK?
English is not my primary language, but with that said, it's a POS. So unreliable it's impossible to use. I've tried to do simple things like 'pounds to kilograms' or 'euros to dollars' and it just does not work well at all. Also half the time it's not usable at all because of network errors.

Am I the only one who plans to buy it full price, contract free?

I will be buying off contract, either the AT&T version...or go with the Roger version for I can get 32gig and use it for AT&T..

But dayam....the Engadget review makes it seem its not too far ahead of the HTC One X.

I'm planning keeping both...but if the reception is poor on the GS3, I will get rid of it.

rozay

Banned
Kind of off topic but what the fuck, why does the at&t one X have such high battery life? Does it have a larger battery and width than the international variant?

I almost refuse to believe it's so close to the 4S. My mind is literally blown at how well S4 android phones are faring.

Looks like the One X and SGS3 are very, very close on at&t, almost to the point where if you're going to flash custom roms, you should pick the phone based on which screen or design you like better.

Toki767

Kind of off topic but what the fuck, why does the at&t one X have such high battery life? Does it have a larger battery and width than the international variant?

I almost refuse to believe it's so close to the 4S. My mind is literally blown at how well S4 android phones are faring.

Looks like the One X and SGS3 are very, very close on at&t, almost to the point where if you're going to flash custom roms, you should pick the phone based on which screen or design you like better.

The international One X uses Tegra 3 which is a 45nm chip. The AT&T One X uses the same Snapdragon S4 chip as the SGS3 which is a 28nm chip. The smaller the chip, the better the battery life.

Also I'd imagine part of the reason the SGS3's battery life wasn't as good in the browser tests is because the sites they loaded had lots of whites where the SAMOLED screen uses up most of the battery. If they loaded sites with lots of blacks I think the numbers between the SGS3 and the One X battery life would be reversed.

If you're going to flash custom roms, get the SGS3 unless you want to go through the trouble of fooling the One X into thinking it's the Canadian model just so you can unlock the bootloader.

Socreges

Banned
"Flash custom roms" -- what does this mean? Not up on tech speak

Also, is it really worth getting the 32GB model when there's so much potential SD card storage? What are the advantages of having that much space on the phone itself?

rozay

Banned
The international One X uses Tegra 3 which is a 45nm chip. The AT&T One X uses the same Snapdragon S4 chip as the SGS3 which is a 28nm chip. The smaller the chip, the better the battery life.

Also I'd imagine part of the reason the SGS3's battery life wasn't as good in the browser tests is because the sites they loaded had lots of whites where the SAMOLED screen uses up most of the battery. If they loaded sites with lots of blacks I think the numbers between the SGS3 and the One X battery life would be reversed.

If you're going to flash custom roms, get the SGS3 unless you want to go through the trouble of fooling the One X into thinking it's the Canadian model just so you can unlock the bootloader.
Yeah I'm aware, but the One X has a smaller battery than the SGS3 (1800mAH) which is why I thought for a second that the at&t One XL had a larger battery like the sprint EVO 4G than the international version. Doesn't seem to be the case, and it still soars with the S4. I had no idea it was capable of lasting that long, and frankly it's thrilling that android phones can boast standby and usability times close to the 4S.

It's really a good indicator of just how power hungry AMOLED screens are, regardless of how much Samsung and blogs want to say that they consume less power*-without a theme that takes advantage of that, a good majority of websites aren't black and both 4.0 and Touchwiz have lots of light colors. Of course if you love the look of the screen, you shouldn't let that dissuade a purchase.

*when the majority of the screen is black

I don't think you can go wrong with either phone, unless you live overseas because the international One X is definitely not as good of a phone as the international SGS3.

Toki767

Yeah I'm aware, but the One X has a smaller battery than the SGS3 (1800mAH) which is why I thought for a second that the at&t One XL had a larger battery like the sprint EVO 4G than the international version. Doesn't seem to be the case, and it still soars. I had no idea it was capable of lasting that long.

It's really a good indicator of just how power hungry AMOLED screens are, regardless of how much Samsung and blogs want to say that they consume less power*-without a theme that takes advantage of that, a good majority of websites aren't black and both 4.0 and Touchwiz have lots of light colors. Of course if you love the look of the screen, you shouldn't let that dissuade a purchase.

*when the majority of the screen is black

I don't think you can go wrong with either phone, unless you live overseas because the international One X is definitely not as good of a phone as the international SGS3.

The thing with Touchwiz where I feel like Samsung screwed up is that it's so colorful. Stock Ice Cream Sandwich seemed like it would be super friendly for AMOLED because of the color scheme.

In the end though AMOLED vs SLCD2 isn't as much of a factor for me as microSD and a removable battery.

One thing I saw about Touchwiz that I thought was silly though was that you can't put the app drawer icon as the middle icon of the dock. It's locked to the right side. I'm installing Apex Launcher on it ASAP.

Top Bottom