• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

"Flash custom roms" -- what does this mean? Not up on tech speak

Also, is it really worth getting the 32GB model when there's so much potential SD card storage? What are the advantages of having that much space on the phone itself?

Flashing custom rom is kinda like flashing a modified version of the OS.
Its removes bloatware and has performace/battery life benefits. Also it give more options thats not possible on the stock OS.

But yeah the one x and gs3 is really really close in performance. I'm running custom rom on my one x and its a beast now and 4+ hour screen time. Unlocking bootloader was a piece of cake too.

Another thing about the
lcd2 vs amoled HD is that the amoled hd will be less bright.

That was another problem I had with the gnex screen, its auto brightness was too dim so I always had it on 75 brightness...so battery life suffer. With the one x I can have it on auto brightness all the time, even at 50 percent it seem brighter than the gnex. Amoled over saturated color is sometimes nice, but not when looking at people...Skin tone seem to be orange/yellow or pinkish...

Toki767

Flashing custom rom is kinda like flashing a modified version of the OS.
Its removes bloatware and has performace/battery life benefits. Also it give more options thats not possible on the stock OS.

But yeah the one x and gs3 is really really close in performance. I'm running custom rom on my one x and its a beast now and 4+ hour screen time. Unlocking bootloader was a piece of cake too.

Not related to the SGS3, but did HTC ever release the source code for the AT&T One X or are people just going off the international one?

rozay

Banned
The thing with Touchwiz where I feel like Samsung screwed up is that it's so colorful. Stock Ice Cream Sandwich seemed like it would be super friendly for AMOLED because of the color scheme.

In the end though AMOLED vs SLCD2 isn't as much of a factor for me as microSD and a removable battery.

One thing I saw about Touchwiz that I thought was silly though was that you can't put the app drawer icon as the middle icon of the dock. It's locked to the right side. I'm installing Apex Launcher on it ASAP.
Sorry yeah, the removable battery and microSD are important features not on the One XL.

ICS has a lot of white and other bright colors amongst the black though-the people app and gtalk app are two examples off the top of my head.

Toki767

Sorry yeah, the removable battery and microSD are important features not on the One XL.

ICS has a lot of white and other bright colors amongst the black though-the people app and gtalk app are two examples off the top of my head.

That's true about Google's apps. The settings look really sleek in that greyish gradiant though. Maybe in Jelly Bean Google will unify the OS colors to match the colors of their next app versions.

sun-drop

for those thinking about what color ...pebble blue ..no contest.

it's great. looks like black at night .... looks like nothing else during the day. people know what it is yr holding right away.

massoluk

Banned
"Flash custom roms" -- what does this mean? Not up on tech speak

Also, is it really worth getting the 32GB model when there's so much potential SD card storage? What are the advantages of having that much space on the phone itself?

I shoot a lot of videos and photo, those shits fill up pretty quickly. Also it's nice to have full seasons of my favorite shows in the palm of my hands. The bigger the better I say. I would have get 64GB version if there's one available for t-mobile.

I'll still be better off at the end going with Tmo because their data/voice plan is cheaper.

atomsk

Party Pooper
sprint shipped mine, now the wait for UPS to update and actually let me know when it'll get here (people are saying it's shipped 2day)

Loxley

Quick question; I've never upgraded to a phone that was the new hot thing before, like S3. I'm curious about the retail availability for the S3 over the next couple of weeks; I plan on upgrading my phone near the end of the first week of July...the S3 wouldn't be "sold out" at that point, would it? Does that even happen with phones?

Sort of a dumb question, but this being my first smartphone and all, I'm not really familiar with the immediacy of new phones like this at retail considering the insane pre-orders this thing has racked up.

FireCloud

You never know what availability will be like when these things release. I know the Droid X (my current phone) was quite hard to find right after release. I ended up having to order it and wait a week or two before it arrived.

Any reason you aren't pre-ordering? That at least gets you in ahead (we hope) of the people who will walk in and want to pick one up.

Phoenix

for those thinking about what color ...pebble blue ..no contest.

it's great. looks like black at night .... looks like nothing else during the day. people know what it is yr holding right away.

I actually didn't like Pebble Blue... it always looked dirty to me. I had several white ones as test units and I always thought they looked better.

torontoml

So Telus' pre-order page has this added

Due to a global supply issue, the Samsung Galaxy S III™ will be available in limited quantities at launch on June 27st — but only temporarily. Pre-order one today to be first in line to receive a Galaxy SIII™.

Now I ordered mine on like the 2nd I believe, is it at all likely that I won't receive mine from their first shipments?

surly

Banned
I bought one of these last week. I got it free on a £25 a month contract and with £50 cashback. Wow, what a phone! The screen is gorgeous. The only downside is that I'm paranoid about dropping it, lol. Anyone got any recommendations on decent cases? I'm looking for something that doesn't add a lot of bulk, but has reasonable protection.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I like the idea of the cover replacement back being built in. I wish more phones would have new backs you could buy with different textures based on preference.

Zoe

so sprint only shipped if you preordered off the site. what about people that ordered from Best buy? D: i hope it's not delayed.

Same here. I took a gamble and ordered through Best Buy so I could use RZ certificates in the hope they won't cancel my order for being a SERO account.

FireCloud

From the Android |OT| thread.... this doesn't look good.

The Galaxy S III is so hot.
"How hot is it?"

dqzJQ.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/20/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-melts/

Edit: One thing to note, this is apparently the international version which has been on the market for a while now. If this was a real issue, you would think it would be all over the news.

demented

Dropped to 550eur in my country from 700 few weeks ago, gonna wait a month and it will be under 500. (no contract, with contract it's crazy expensive since contract is piece of shit scam)
But I'm now bit worried, I noticed there's that problem with screen, blotches/ink whatever it's called, people say you can notice it in the dark, then some showed that screen isn't white but pink at max/low brightness, backside scraping like crazy etc :\

From the Android |OT| thread.... this doesn't look good.

Edit: One thing to note, this is apparently the international version which has been on the market for a while now. If this was a real issue, you would think it would be all over the news.

i'd like to know more about the car mount that was being used with it...

scoobs

So I'm just now figuring out this phone is dual-core in the U.S.? What the fucks the point of that? Rethinking buying, i am gonna have this for 2 years.. i need top of the line

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So I'm just now figuring out this phone is dual-core in the U.S.? What the fucks the point of that? Rethinking buying, i am gonna have this for 2 years.. i need top of the line

S4 is no slouch, the quad-core Exynos can't support LTE. Additionally, we probably won't be seeing quad core devices till the end of the year.

LM4sure

Banned
S4 is no slouch, the quad-core Exynos can't support LTE. Additionally, we probably won't be seeing quad core devices till the end of the year.

Quad core this year?! Damn, might just hold out a little longer to get one of those. This phone might be obsolete by the end of the year.

atomsk

Party Pooper

Keep chasing that dragon. I'd been keeping my eye on new phones for the past 8-9 months and finally pulled the trigger on this one. (still using a launch Palm Pre)

UPS says my phone is already in NJ, hopeful for delivery tomorrow

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Can anyone tell me what real-world advantage a quad-core has over a dual-core like the S4? I'm struggling to think of anything and this backlash against getting a dual-core in the US seems ridiculous unless you like to run benchmarks all day and score higher numbers than your friend.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Can anyone tell me what real-world advantage a quad-core has over a dual-core like the S4? I'm struggling to think of anything and this backlash against getting a dual-core in the US seems ridiculous unless you like to run benchmarks all day and score higher numbers than your friend.

Quad core might be better at games.

That's...that's about it

LM4sure

Banned
Might? The phone market moves so fast... I'd be shocked if it wasn't

well obviously by the strict definition of obsolescence, but was hoping it would hold its own for at least 8-12 months. my current phone (htc evo) is definitely showing its age, but I think it held up against competition for several months after its release

teiresias

What difference does it make when the benchmarks and performance are on par. The architecture of the dual-core processor is better than the architecture in the quad-core phone, somewhat analogous to a Core2Duo vs. an i5 or i7, where each core is more efficient so even with more cores the older architecture isn't as fast (or any better than a lower core count processor with the old architecture). About the only place the dual-core version scores lower is in graphics benchmarks from what I've seen - and that's for 3D acceleration and that sort of thing, but it's still hardly a slouch.

rozay

Banned
The quad core S3 has a much, much better GPU than the dual core version, so you will see benefits in applications that use it. I don't think there will be a big difference in usability otherwise though, and the dual core has a big advantage in RAM.

have you seen the benchmarks?

S4 is ahead of some Quad core CPUs *cough*Tegra 3*cough*

Quad core this year?! Damn, might just hold out a little longer to get one of those. This phone might be obsolete by the end of the year.

and the quad cores will be obsolete when quad A15's drop, and those will be obsolete when higher clocked models drop, and those will be obsolete when hexacore drops...etc

marketing advantage. higher number = better looking on spec sheet.

Phoenix

The quad core S3 has a much, much better GPU than the dual core version, so you will see benefits in applications that use it. I don't think there will be a big difference in usability otherwise though, and the dual core has a big advantage in RAM.

Agreed. I have used both and I think the International Tmobile phone is one of the best phones I've used in a while. The domestic Sprint just seemed slower to me - a lot slower.

I get what you're saying, but I couldn't care less. Need real-world advantages :)

I think the domestic version is better. And no real world advantage really. The international will handle games better..but there's not really any high end graphic games for android anyways.

Domestic has LTE and 2gig of ram...good enough trade off for having a dual core.

I'm getting mine with no contract. What the best place to get it for I can play screen lottery and not get hassled for exchanging it?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Amazon was pretty good to me when I was exchanging Nexus', although they were getting a bit more apprehensive after the 2nd replacement.

Top Bottom