• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Emily Chu

Banned
Just received my white 16-gig Galaxy.
Anyone else notice that this thing gets much hotter than previous phones?
My Evo was freezing compared to this.

I guess thats what we get for shoehorning quad cores into a phone : P

the screen gives off heat too as it's pushing 1280x720

my gnex gets kinda warm after a while of heavy usage, especially the screen

surly

Banned
Just received my white 16-gig Galaxy.
Anyone else notice that this thing gets much hotter than previous phones?
My Evo was freezing compared to this.
Mine gets no hotter than my HTC Desire did, but that's the only other smartphone I've owned. When running graphically intensive games it gets warm - I wouldn't describe it as "hot".

Are you in the US or UK though? The US phones are all dual core aren't they? I'm in the UK and I have a quad core model, although I would have thought that the quad cores get hotter, but maybe that's an incorrect assumption to make - I dunno.

surly

Banned
That's the thing. It's US phone on Sprint.
It's not quadcore.

HOT. Within minutes of even accessing the Play Store.
It gets hot even when you just access the Play Store? Mine is totally cool to the touch when I do that (quad core version), so something isn't right there.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Considering all of my knowledge is in WebOS and iOS... I have no idea what I'm doing

Hardware itself is quite nice. Haven't noticed any heat issues yet and I've been messing with it all afternoon, getting my emails/contacts/etc all sorted out.

I suppose I should start thinking about a case now.

ukas

Considering all of my knowledge is in WebOS and iOS... I have no idea what I'm doing

Hardware itself is quite nice. Haven't noticed any heat issues yet and I've been messing with it all afternoon, getting my emails/contacts/etc all sorted out.

US or International version?

Boken

Banned

Purely an iOS user here too, I'm pretty excited at the prospect of experiencing a new OS!

saunderez

Mine gets no hotter than my HTC Desire did, but that's the only other smartphone I've owned. When running graphically intensive games it gets warm - I wouldn't describe it as "hot".

I concur with surly my Australian quadcore runs no hotter than my Galaxy S2 did.

Linkhero1

Did you try getting the value plan first and the phone a few hours later?

I don't want to do the switch if I don't know for sure that I'll get the phone. I'm going to head over to a T-Mobile store and ask later this week. I wish Best Buy adds the S3 with T-Mobile contract.

So I'm guessing no Verizon version has been reviewed yet? I'm curious if they have made any significant changes (and curious about the bloatware).

teiresias

First post from my S3. Really loving it so far. The white balance is definitely warmer than my EVO was but it doesn't bother me.

I also don't dislike Touchwiz so far but I'm so used to Go Launcher EX that I'll probably install it and go back to it as my launcher. I can't deal with a non-scrolling app dock!

First post from my S3. Really loving it so far. The white balance is definitely warmer than my EVO was but it doesn't bother me.

I also don't dislike Touchwiz so far but I'm so used to Go Launcher EX that I'll probably install it and go back to it as my launcher. I can't deal with a non-scrolling app dock!

Try nova or apex launcher...its the best so far.

tha_devil

I used nova on my s1, but for s3 apex is great.

Btw any easy way to make the notification menu transparent and the icons blue color so its closer to stock android (had cm9 on my s1).

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I have a very outdated phone and I'm looking to upgrade. I had seen the GS2 at the T-mobile store here and it really impressed me because of that beautiful screen. Now that this one has been announced, I've been looking at it as well and it looks great. I've also looked at the Nexus and I also think that the device is very slick looking and appealing. I honestly don't know what to get. I just want a phone that has a decent-to-good battery life (i know it's impossible with these smartphones) and one that doesn't get too hot when you're constantly using it. I would preferably want T-mobile to be my carrier because I don't like Sprint (carrier I'm using atm). Verizon is a bit expensive to me and ATT is out of the question. Thoughts or advice?

teiresias

Really? All the videos I see of the GS3 make it look very blue tinted.

Some complain about blue tint, others pink, so it looks like they run the gamut. Mine just looks warm to my eyes, not offensively pink. I don't watch tons of video on my phone though so it doesn't bother me, and I prefer reading text on a slightly warmer white anyway as it's easier on my eyes.

Thanks guys, I'll try Apex Launcher. Does it have built in contacts and calendar widgets?

VanWinkle

This will be the phone I get
3AQmK.gif
I'm glad Verizon is getting it. I can't wait to upgrade from my HTC Trophy (which very regrettably is getting no more updates besides the ability to resize tiles *rolleyes*).

Two questions, though. Could a company theoretically mace a back cover that is matte white, more like the HTC One X? Do companies do things like this? Also, I would have to find a new music service, since I've been using Zune Pass (which I love; one thing I will miss from the Trophy). Any subscription music service that has a great Android app, plus a good desktop application? Something that has an interface unlike iTunes is preferable (always hated that interface; Zune's is vastly superior).

Unicorn

This will be the phone I get
3AQmK.gif
I'm glad Verizon is getting it. I can't wait to upgrade from my HTC Trophy (which very regrettably is getting no more updates besides the ability to resize tiles *rolleyes*).

Two questions, though. Could a company theoretically mace a back cover that is matte white, more like the HTC One X? Do companies do things like this? Also, I would have to find a new music service, since I've been using Zune Pass (which I love; one thing I will miss from the Trophy). Any subscription music service that has a great Android app, plus a good desktop application? Something that has an interface unlike iTunes is preferable (always hated that interface; Zune's is vastly superior).

Spotify?

VanWinkle

Android app is fantastic and desktop version is very good in function, but the look starts to be a bit long in the tooth.

I just looked at the Android app on the Play store and it does indeed look really great. But man, I really really don't like the desktop client.

I hate how everything is just listed down like a spreadsheet or something. I like how on Zune there's a section for artists, a section for albums, and a section for songs. And the albums can be listed by the date added which is perfect for me. Look at the difference between these two:

If I didn't use the desktop software so much, it wouldn't be a big deal.

sun-drop

i'm just using nova as well .... mainly for the cleaner look, extra space, and drag and drop folders.

tried apex in the past and aside for a few extra options i don't notice anything majorly different ...

btw i'm looking for a really great agenda widget ..some thing minimal and clean. and able to be scaled down to say two vert units ...

i'm just using nova as well .... mainly for the cleaner look, extra space, and drag and drop folders.

tried apex in the past and aside for a few extra options i don't notice anything majorly different ...

btw i'm looking for a really great agenda widget ..some thing minimal and clean. and able to be scaled down to say two vert units ...

I'm using agenda widget plus (or free if you want to try out), I'm using 3 white lines and no background. But you have to spend fair amount of time to tinker it to remove all the standard widget themes.

ok, been using blue s3 for 2 days.

Coming from stock experience, I don't think I like touchwiz. those white home screen indicating white dots takes up too much space. No music control in lock screen. cracking sound in music when using headset (but I can't hear them when using bluetooth headset), I hope I'm not wrong, the music widget can't go to your playlists/folders/etc, you have to use the app, which I find annoying, home button lag (can be minimised when s-voice disabled). I find the motion thingies rather useless. Smart stay is a pretty nice touch. The phone vibrates when you lift it the phone and there is something that requires your attention, which is quite nice. The phone is surprisingly light in spite of the size. I'm not bothered by the bloody pentile. Call qualilty is not bad. I find you can add a extra loud mode (in settings) to use extra higher volume in noisy background. The auto-brightness is not very good as well. Generally I'm quite pleased with the phone. going to stick with touchwiz for a bit, to make sure everything working ok before root/flash custom rom for stock ics experience (who knows, 4.1 aka jelly bean's around the corner).

sorry about the messy impression.

Emily Chu

Banned
ok so the american versions on all carriers are confirmed to be dual core ?

then specs wise is this any better then a Gnex ?

gpu better ? more ram ?

on a Gnex now

looking to upgrade maybe

damn it's getting mad expensive to keep up with the jones in this android game.

FreezeSSC

What's the likelyhood of these being in stock this weekend or next weekend? Contracts up with tmobile I might go pick one up at Sprint.

atomsk

Party Pooper
=(

No real world GAF battery data here?

p.s. How does the screen look in person?

it's only been 24 hours for the people who got the US version... and you know how that first couple of days with a new phone is. MUST. DO. EVERYTHING.

screen looks fantastic

Top Bottom