• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Unicorn

I'm on the MyVerizon website preordering the phone to keep my contract, but I'm at the checkout screen and it isn't showing my discounts (I have a 20% discount on my bill from a previous employer). I don't want to lose that as I won't be able to get it back, so should I just try and preorder this at a B&M store as I've asked salespeople before about this scenario and they said I would keep my billing discounts when I renewed my contract.

What is the best course of action? Should I be worried? Will it show once I actually pay (lol)?

rc213

I think I am just going to pay the full price from T-Mobile or some other place online? Or just grab it off Craigslist for like $625.

Anyone if Amazon will sell it off contract once they get them in stock? $629 no tax might be worth the wait.

Mulberry

Went down to the local Best Buy and fondled the blue and white today. In my opinion, the white was the better looking of the two.
I also have a Droid X on verizon, what date do we need to preorder by to keep the unlimited data?

Unicorn

Went down to the local Best Buy and fondled the blue and white today. In my opinion, the white was the better looking of the two.
I also have a Droid X on verizon, what date do we need to preorder by to keep the unlimited data?

The bullshit starts June 28th. So, do it before that date.

Mine is coming Monday, and I'm going to town tomorrow, so I might buy the official flip case, I'm sure it's been discussed, but what's GAF's general opinion of it?

i watched a video and the only problems are the case blocks the volume rocker and hides the notification lights.

I don't think it's worth upgrading this soon unless you have cash to blow, and it won't get 4.1 as fast as the nexus (unless you're on Verizon, in which case you might want to consider it)

If you have a GSM nexus, wait for the nexus phones at the end of the year to upgrade.

GS3 is VERY nice but no way I'd trade in my gnex for it. Nexus line always gets the best and fastest support from both community and Google.

JambiBum

So I am eligible for an upgrade with Verizon. Thankfully before the stupid change. If I use my upgrade to order this does anyone know about how much it will cost? I'm at work and can't check.

teiresias

GS3 is VERY nice but no way I'd trade in my gnex for it. Nexus line always gets the best and fastest support from both community and Google.

I personally can't stand the software buttons on ICS on the Nexus line of phones. I'll gladly take a phone with dedicated hardware buttons (whether they're an actual button or capacitive) any day.

Um when I had the gnex I never saw this "best and faster support" and I had the better GSM version too...poor Verizon version. I felt sorry for people who wanted to stay stock and waited 5 months for 4.0.4...

I think the gs3 will actually have better support from the community due to the larger user base.
The gs2 had larger user base than the gnex and had more support from the community.

Software can only do so much...you don't know how much longer the slightly weak hardware will perform in the future.

Another fault that no one seem to mention is how slow the gnex to restore and back up on CWM. Im a flashing addict, i basically try every custom rom that comes out..and I hated how slow the gnex is.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'm on the MyVerizon website preordering the phone to keep my contract, but I'm at the checkout screen and it isn't showing my discounts (I have a 20% discount on my bill from a previous employer). I don't want to lose that as I won't be able to get it back, so should I just try and preorder this at a B&M store as I've asked salespeople before about this scenario and they said I would keep my billing discounts when I renewed my contract.

What is the best course of action? Should I be worried? Will it show once I actually pay (lol)?

The discount appears on bills, its not shown in the ordering.

for me, the 32gb was ~$220

The 16gb was 199.

There is a $30 activation fee and tax too. So mine ended up being $250 with everything factored in. Unfortunately I had to go through Verizon to keep everything intact, but otherwise I would use Amazon because of no tax.

Unicorn

The 16gb was 199.

There is a $30 activation fee and tax too. So mine ended up being $250 with everything factored in. Unfortunately I had to go through Verizon to keep everything intact, but otherwise I would use Amazon because of no tax.

Thank you. Also, I saw the plan changes to 4g removes 3g, will that mean that my current phone will not have service until i get my s3 after july 11th?

An-Det

Is there a special way about this? Or is it pretty straightforward? Don't wanna screw up my unlimited by doing it wrong

The 16gb was 199.

Same, ended up at about $250 for me (started there, then +30 activation and -30 discount, lol). Dont know about your discounts Unicorn.

Everything I've read/been told has said that my unlimited will remain since I signed/ordered it before the 28th, so we'll see.

edit:

Thank you. Also, I saw the plan changes to 4g removes 3g, will that mean that my current phone will not have service until i get my s3 after july 11th?

I noticed this as well, so I immediately contacted a rep. They said that that we sign the contract now (thus locking unlimited), that part wont come into effect until we activate the phone. We'll see in a few weeks if they were full of shit of course.

Unicorn

Same, ended up at about $250 for me (started there, then +30 activation and -30 discount, lol). Dont know about your discounts Unicorn.

Everything I've read/been told has said that my unlimited will remain since I signed/ordered it before the 28th, so we'll see.

edit:

I noticed this as well, so I immediately contacted a rep. They said that that we sign the contract now (thus locking unlimited), that part wont come into effect until we activate the phone. We'll see in a few weeks if they were full of shit of course.

All right, thanks. I guess I'll just cross my fingers since I just paid my monthly phone bill. haha

kehs

Banned
Um when I had the gnex I never saw this "best and faster support" and I had the better GSM version too...poor Verizon version. I felt sorry for people who wanted to stay stock and waited 5 months for 4.0.4...

I think the gs3 will actually have better support from the community due to the larger user base.
The gs2 had larger user base than the gnex and had more support from the community.

Software can only do so much...you don't know how much longer the slightly weak hardware will perform in the future.

Another fault that no one seem to mention is how slow the gnex to restore and back up on CWM. Im a flashing addict, i basically try every custom rom that comes out..and I hated how slow the gnex is.

They'll have better community support.*

*camera/Bluetooth/radio not working 100%

The nexus line has the benefit of having low level stuff almost 100% available, and that allows better hackabiity.

zedge

Played with the dummy units at Future Shop today.. Think I may have to go white if I get this. The pebble blue looks more purple.. I really didn't like it. :(

teiresias

Played with the dummy units at Future Shop today.. Think I may have to go white if I get this. The pebble blue looks more purple.. I really didn't like it. :(

It really depends on the lighting. The only time mine actually looks purple is under certain fluorescent lighting - usually in a bathroom.

Husker86

Just preordered from Verizon. I have a Galaxy Nexus but this was the last chance I had to get a subsidized phone and keep my unlimited data so I thought I should jump on the chance. Blue 16GB, hope I don't regret it!

reKon

Banned
Just preordered from Verizon. I have a Galaxy Nexus but this was the last chance I had to get a subsidized phone and keep my unlimited data so I thought I should jump on the chance. Blue 16GB, hope I don't regret it!

Did you buy your Nexus off of someone then or you have another line on a family plan that you're using?

VanWinkle

Wait, is there a cutoff date that I need to buy this phone by to retain my unlimited data with Verizon?

Husker86

Wait, is there a cutoff date that I need to buy this phone by to retain my unlimited data with Verizon?
If you upgrade (as in renew your contract) after they start their new plans on the 28th of June then you must switch to their new plans. You can keep unlimited if you pay full price for the phone or get off eBay or something though.

idk what case i want. i just bought a simple one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085U7P2I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

i'm waiting for the trident case to release (early july) since i got one for my mom and i like the look compared to the otterbox one.

40JlF.png

The kraken series has the kickstand which comes out around july 17.

VanWinkle

If you upgrade (as in renew your contract) after they start their new plans on the 28th of June then you must switch to their new plans. You can keep unlimited if you pay full price for the phone or get off eBay or something though.

Oh POOP. I don't have the money yet. I have to take it out of my savings then, because I don't want to be ripped off in the long term.

StuBurns

Banned
No phone shops had the official flip case in blue, but they had it in white, and my friend picked one up, I'm pretty impressed, looks very slick.

surly

Banned
StuBurns said:
Mine is coming Monday, and I'm going to town tomorrow, so I might buy the official flip case, I'm sure it's been discussed, but what's GAF's general opinion of it?
I ordered one, but while I was waiting for Amazon to get it in stock I looked at it a bit more closely and changed my mind and cancelled it. The case covers the volume rocker and notification light when closed. If you open it and fold it back out of the way, it covers the camera lens. There's nothing to actually keep it closed, so if you drop the phone it can open as it's falling which could lead to the screen getting damaged.

StuBurns

Banned
I ordered one, but while I was waiting for Amazon to get it in stock I looked at it a bit more closely and changed my mind and cancelled it. The case covers the volume rocker and notification light when closed. If you open it and fold it back out of the way, it covers the camera lens. There's nothing to actually keep it closed, so if you drop the phone it can open as it's falling which could lead to the screen getting damaged.
While it's true there is no iPad like magnet to the case, it does seem to hold on to the screen, you can hold it upside down and it doesn't open without a jolt. But indeed, if you're getting it to protect the actual phone, not just the screen, it's not going to do anything.

It's really only good for avoiding scratching the screen in bags and pockets I'd imagine. It looks great though.

Ecto311

I did some googling and found nothing so I thought id ask some people who have the phone. Is it possible to have a word recorded or setup that you say to the phone to start the voice control? Even if you have to press the home button to light the screen - then say a word to get the voice controls going - this type of thing possible on this phone?

massoluk

Banned
32 GB version seems very hard to find in NYC. It's listed as out-of-stock on tmobile sites, and no one else offer it. Tried to locate one in local Best Buy, only 16GB unlocked (quad-core) versions are available. J&R was completely sold out of all SGS 3.

Looks like I have to settle for Amazon Wireless's 16 GB

Avixph

32 GB version seems very hard to find in NYC. It's listed as out-of-stock on tmobile sites, and no one else offer it. Try to locate one in local Best Buy, only 16GB unlocked (quad-core) versions are available. J&R is completely sold out of all SGS 3.

Looks like I have to settle for Amazon Wireless's 16 GB

Just wait until the 27th like I am, it's only this Wednesday.

surly

Banned
I did some googling and found nothing so I thought id ask some people who have the phone. Is it possible to have a word recorded or setup that you say to the phone to start the voice control? Even if you have to press the home button to light the screen - then say a word to get the voice controls going - this type of thing possible on this phone?
Yes, it's possible. It works on either the lock screen or when you're in S Voice (a double tap of the home button launches it) and you can customise the wake up command, which by default is "hi Galaxy".

Omzz

I'll be picking up my S3 on Wednesday hopefully. Just wanted to ask what are some good cases?

I'm in Canada just in case anyone wants to know. Been looking on Amazon and other places, not really sure which one is good. Any help?

surly

Banned
I'll be picking up my S3 on Wednesday hopefully. Just wanted to ask what are some good cases?

I'm in Canada just in case anyone wants to know. Been looking on Amazon and other places, not really sure which one is good. Any help?
What sort of case are you looking for?

I like those shell cases that don't add a lot of bulk to the phone, so I ordered 2 from Obostore.com (based in the US, but they do free worldwide shipping).

I've ordered one of these in white: -

http://www.obostore.com/vogoo-real-...d-faceplate-for-samsung-galaxy-s3-p-7543.html

And one of these in purple: -

http://www.obostore.com/rock-quicks...e-case-skin-for-samsung-galaxy-s3-p-6643.html

They only just shipped though, so I have no idea if they're any good, but they look OK.

Top Bottom