• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Just ordered for Verizon. Gotta lock in the unlimited data. I can't wait.

Also, my wife emailed me an article from a magazine about this phone and asked if its a good one because she likes it. It looks like it will be easy to convince her to get one as well so we can both lock in unlimited.

massoluk

Banned
What a joke... Just added this phone online at tmobile and the final price is 691 after taxes. Unbelievable...

How did you do it? I have been fooling around on their website and I couldn't get non-conracted SGS3 into my cart. Did something happen I don't know about?

EDIT: Oh, so it's available straight from front page now. too bad 32GB is out of stock.

rozay

Banned
ok so the american versions on all carriers are confirmed to be dual core ?

then specs wise is this any better then a Gnex ?

gpu better ? more ram ?

on a Gnex now

looking to upgrade maybe

damn it's getting mad expensive to keep up with the jones in this android game.
I don't think it's worth upgrading this soon unless you have cash to blow, and it won't get 4.1 as fast as the nexus (unless you're on Verizon, in which case you might want to consider it)

If you have a GSM nexus, wait for the nexus phones at the end of the year to upgrade.

massoluk

Banned
So here's my dilemma,

a) keep my AT&T 16GB order from Amazon Wireless for $649.99, (won't be delivered until July) and try it on my T-mobile network or switch to AT&T later.

b) Cancel Amazon Wireless and order 16GB from T-mobile right now for $680 after tax.

c) Wait for what I truly want, 32GB model, which is out of stock right now.

Option b & c sucks more in that it's not futureproof, but it'll be more compatible with the cheaper T-Mobile plan. I'm staying with plan a right now. :\

Davidion

It's cheaper then what you have to pay if you purchase it with a contract.

For me the plans actually don't add up to much.

Classic - 109/mth, phone 640
Value - 92/mth, phone 329

So if I go with the cheaper phone/higher monthly fee plan, it's actually a net difference of only about $100 more for the discount phone plan after 24 months, less if I
get early renewal.

Not sure if want.

I read today that the s3 is coming out for virgin Mobile in the UK.
Is that only for UK and possibly US release as well?
And does anyone know which towers VM piggybacks off from?

JonnyBrad

I read today that the s3 is coming out for virgin Mobile in the UK.
Is that only for UK and possibly US release as well?
And does anyone know which towers VM piggybacks off from?

Virgin Mobile UK piggybacks on Everything Everywhere (ie T Mob and Orange) The fact that a phone is coming to a UK MVNO means nothing for its US cousin as all handsets work on all carriers in the UK.

TimeKillr

So Rogers still doesn't know when they'll get it - I've called a few Rogers stores and each and every one of them told me "We don't know when we'll get them in. Call next week to see if you can pre-order it!"

... douchebags.

ok so the american versions on all carriers are confirmed to be dual core ?

then specs wise is this any better then a Gnex ?

gpu better ? more ram ?

on a Gnex now

looking to upgrade maybe

damn it's getting mad expensive to keep up with the jones in this android game.

it's better. more RAM. but if you have a GNex, just wait for S4 Pro Quad and the A15 army to arrive.

suoodS

I'm sure it's been asked before, but which carrier would it be best to get this phone with as a new customer?

I'm with T-mobile right now, and can't get the "upgrade" price so I have to pay the full $680. Not even if I get a two-year contract! So I decided it might be best to pay the $200 line cancellation fee, and buy it for $200 from another carrier.

Suggestions/opinions?

Toki767

I'm sure it's been asked before, but which carrier would it be best to get this phone with as a new customer?

I'm with T-mobile right now, and can't get the "upgrade" price so I have to pay the full $680. Not even if I get a two-year contract! So I decided it might be best to pay the $200 line cancellation fee, and buy it for $200 from another carrier.

Suggestions/opinions?

It really depends on how each carrier is in your area. Also what kind of plan you want minutes/texts/data wise.

methodman

Banned
So I just got my white GS3 for at&t (was one of the very first to pre order the phone lol).

shit is NICE. so much better then my iphone 3gs that it's unbelievable. it was so simple to transfer my contacts (used this method http://webcazine.com/1219/how-to-transfer-contacts-from-iphone-to-samsung-galaxy-s3-android/). Worked perfectly and took like 5 minutes to completely setup my phone. Haven't even downloaded any apps or anything yet, because I just activated it this morning. Gotta test everything out today. Woot.

So I just got my white GS3 for at&t (was one of the very first to pre order the phone lol).

shit is NICE. so much better then my iphone 3gs that it's unbelievable. it was so simple to transfer my contacts (used this method http://webcazine.com/1219/how-to-transfer-contacts-from-iphone-to-samsung-galaxy-s3-android/). Worked perfectly and took like 5 minutes to completely setup my phone. Haven't even downloaded any apps or anything yet, because I just activated it this morning. Gotta test everything out today. Woot.

samsung has something that eases your ascend from ios2 to android.

unfortunately, it is only for uk now.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So any guides on moving from one Android phone to another? Obviously contacts, calendar and all go through Google so they all sync.

But apps and their data? Fresh installs needed?

So any guides on moving from one Android phone to another? Obviously contacts, calendar and all go through Google so they all sync.

if you're rooted, titanium backups. pretty all 'guides' advice you to use that. They have options to back up apps+data. If not wrong, the free version can do that as well. if not you might have to pay for the pro version. I use mybackup pro (requires root), not all will work. some needs a bit of tinkering. if you transfer between different version of androids, home/sys settings may not work.

checked,

titanium free version:
Backup/restore regular apps + their settings
Backup/restore protected apps + their settings
Backup/restore system apps + their settings (incl. Wi-Fi AP list)
Backup/restore external app data

AndyD

aka andydumi
I do have TB and rooted now. But I won't root the GS3 day one, just in case anything is wrong with it. But I will be going non ICS to ICS, so I should probably just installe verything one by one.

Also, what can I do with my old phone phone without network service? Will it continue to work on wifi? Can I use apps like normal?

I do have TB and rooted now. But I won't root the GS3 day one, just in case anything is wrong with it. But I will be going non ICS to ICS, so I should probably just installe verything one by one.

Also, what can I do with my old phone phone without network service? Will it continue to work on wifi? Can I use apps like normal?

that's what i'm doing too. I'm using stock for a month to make sure everything works before rooting. there's an awesome tool on xda that do everything to s3.

i reckon non ics to ics, transfering apps might work. But if not rooted, your store links and data cannot be transferred.

you can use it like before, except if you can only make emergency calls (for me at least). The
rest is the same. apps are tied to your google account not phone number.

voodooray

I have used Titanium Backup loads, and it makes it a breeze to restore your current apps back. Not sure if you can do it in the free version, but it has a handy setting to restore the backup to the original location it was backed up from, as well as pulling in the last configuration Titanium Backup had if it finds them on your new phone.

Are you switching ROMs too? Be wary if replacing system apps. You might be ok with some of them for data only though.

Unicorn

So, last Wednesday the salesguy at Best Buy said that the Verizon S3 would definitely be dropping before Verizon's shenanigans would hit on the 28th, but it appears, on Verizon's site, that it won't ship until July 11.

wut?

AndyD

aka andydumi
So, last Wednesday the salesguy at Best Buy said that the Verizon S3 would definitely be dropping before Verizon's shenanigans would hit on the 28th, but it appears, on Verizon's site, that it won't ship until July 11.

wut?

I called and spoke wiht manager and also went to the store and if you preorder you can lock in whatever plan you have now. And it will ship after stuff changes. I went ahead and pre-ordered online, and everything stays the same. I have the confirmation and all.

AndyD

aka andydumi
that's what i'm doing too. I'm using stock for a month to make sure everything works before rooting. there's an awesome tool on xda that do everything to s3.

i reckon non ics to ics, transfering apps might work. But if not rooted, your store links and data cannot be transferred.

you can use it like before, except if you can only make emergency calls (for me at least). The
rest is the same. apps are tied to your google account not phone number.

Nice. I am going non ICS to ICS and different phones, so I think I will just setup stuff from scratch. Worst case, I will have stuff backed up to dropbox in case I want to restore individual apps's data.

And glad to hear on my other phone. I can use it with Google voice maybe to make calls via wifi, or use it as GPS and to do hangouts with G+. Plus use it as a remote control for Tivo. Very cool.

I have used Titanium Backup loads, and it makes it a breeze to restore your current apps back. Not sure if you can do it in the free version, but it has a handy setting to restore the backup to the original location it was backed up from, as well as pulling in the last configuration Titanium Backup had if it finds them on your new phone.

Are you switching ROMs too? Be wary if replacing system apps. You might be ok with some of them for data only though.

Going from old phone to new phone. Gingerbread to ICS. I can probably restore individual stuff like sms if I really need it, but I think I can go from scratch at first and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help guys.

rozay

Banned
I would be wary of installing data using Titanium Backup if you're going from a gingerbread phone to an ICS phone...using it to backup and install the apps themselves is fine though

I would be wary of installing data using Titanium Backup if you're going from a gingerbread phone to an ICS phone...using it to backup and install the apps themselves is fine though

worse if you use app2sd, paths and everything have to be right. That's why i bought a new card for s3. I formatted my old card for exFAT for my old android, worried it might mess up things if I just transfer without formatting.

tokkun

Titanium Backup almost invariably causes big problems for me (like infinite boot loops or app crashing) if I'm changing ROM or OS version. It's just too unclear which system settings are going to be safe to restore and which aren't.

I've switched to using MyBackup Root, which worked fine for me when transitioning to ICS. I think the interface is better too, as it's more high-level. I've only used it once, though, so I can't guarantee it doesn't have the same pitfalls that TB has.

atomsk

Party Pooper
tried to find a USB OTG cable in the real world today with no luck, guess I'll have to order one.

checked Sprint store for cases, which they were selling... but no flip cases =/

also Sprint store dudes were surprised I actually had one

Zoe

maybe it's just standard.

nGy0e.png

probably not. lol.

Check it now!

tJ33.jpeg

Got an email for the $50 Best Buy Gift Card from their Mobile promo woot.

Too bad they don't got good cases would have spent it on that. may as well use it to buy a 3DS lulz.

suoodS

It really depends on how each carrier is in your area. Also what kind of plan you want minutes/texts/data wise.

Well, as far as coverage, T-mobile is terrible where I am, but I know Verizon and AT&T have good coverage. I probably use a moderate amount of each (minutes,texts,and data) so not much more than the average person.

Sprint has a plan with 450 minutes, and everything else is unlimited for $80. That sounds pretty good, but still want a general census of which carrier is best to have the phone on, and if possible, cheaper.

Shiggy

What kind of price drops are expected until August? In the past month it's dropped from 600€ to 550€. As I need a new phone only in August, I wondered how much it's expected to cost by then. Samsung phones seem to have price drops rather quickly based on the Note and Nexus.

Unicorn

Same situation here. Love my Droid X, hell I'd keep it for longer if Verizon weren't forcing my hand, but I can't wait for the GS3 to release for us.
Is there a special way about this? Or is it pretty straightforward? Don't wanna screw up my unlimited by doing it wrong

StuBurns

Banned
Mine is coming Monday, and I'm going to town tomorrow, so I might buy the official flip case, I'm sure it's been discussed, but what's GAF's general opinion of it?

Wads

Banned
People looking to get on t-mobile should go to Costco. I went there today, and they had the S3 for 220 for new classic plan customers and 389 for new value plan customers (I think these were the prices). I'm already on the value plan so it really doesn't help me, but thought I would mention it here in case somebody was contemplating switching.

Well, as far as coverage, T-mobile is terrible where I am, but I know Verizon and AT&T have good coverage. I probably use a moderate amount of each (minutes,texts,and data) so not much more than the average person.

Sprint has a plan with 450 minutes, and everything else is unlimited for $80. That sounds pretty good, but still want a general census of which carrier is best to have the phone on, and if possible, cheaper.

you can get the same plan except 500 minutes @ $70

http://delivery.sprint.com/m/p/nxt/epc/epclanding.asp
russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com

Top Bottom