• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I ordered the mini usb-to-usb adapter, microsd-to-usb adapter, otter box defender case, and a 32gb card. All being delivered today. But no dice on the phone :(
May have to get a 2nd day for casual days. That defender case looks huge.

so right now I have a Droid X with verizon and unlimited 3G

What my best plan to lock in by preording before the 28th?

I was in the EXACT same situation(same phone and all).

Just preorder the phone online. Make sure as you are going thru the plan options you have unlimited selected.

surly

Banned
Here's a tip I've just discovered that some may find useful: -

If you're watching a video on the phone while holding it in your hands, it's easy to accidentally touch the screen or one of the touch sensitive buttons which then brings up the player controls and stuff. If you press the power button once while a video is playing, a little lock icon appears in the top right of the screen and then fades out and then touching the screen or pressing one of the touch sensitive buttons does nothing. Pressing the power button again re-enables the controls.

grendelrt

I was in the EXACT same situation(same phone and all).

Just preorder the phone online. Make sure as you are going thru the plan options you have unlimited selected.

Since we would be moving from 3g to 4g data would we still be able to keep unlimited? I wasnt going to renew till fall phones but if I can keep unlimited I will now. Also has there been any news on phones better than this one yet?

So I currently own both the HOX and Sg3 and I am really torn on which to keep. On one hand the HOX is a beautiful device and both the screen and camera are leagues above the s3 imo. On the other hand the s3 is clearly a faster and smoother device. I like the notification light, the physical home button, the location of the power button plus it's quite comfortable to hold. The multitasking crushes the hox as well I never have any reloads for Web pages or caching for maps when switching back this was very annoying on the hox.

Then the battery life, I live in an lte area and am constantly pulling down data via lte. The hox gives me about 3 hours of screen time before it craps out and the s3 is giving me about 4.

I average significantly faster data speeds on the Hox and find my signal is both stronger and latches on faster on the hox.

I do take a lot of pictures with my phone and I find the camera quality of the s3, especially in low light to be really lacking and comparable to the Iphone 4.

I feel as if everything hardware related the one x nailed, But everything software related the s3 seems to have the upper hand on.

Since we would be moving from 3g to 4g data would we still be able to keep unlimited? I wasnt going to renew till fall phones but if I can keep unlimited I will now. Also has there been any news on phones better than this one yet?
Looks like it. When I pre-ordered, it let me go from 3G unlimited to 4G unlimited.

Don't have a phone to test it with though; I'm patiently awaiting an update from Verizon on my GS3.

massoluk

Banned
So... $799.00 unlocked international on BestBuy

vs. $680.00 unlocked international equivalent model on Amazon,
vs. $550.00 unlocked AT&T version on Amazon.

Good luck Best Buy.

drspeedy

Sorry to post what might have already been covered (not going to page through 70 pages, TBH), but anyone who has moved from the S2 to S3 finding this phone to be tons better, or just a faster, prettier 'new hat' kinda change?

I expect to see differences coming from a different android or iphone, but as a successor how does this one hold up?

StuBurns

Banned
Am I missing something incredibly stupid? This phone comes with no software, and it won't mount on my PC or Mac, how am I meant to get my music and things to it?

StuBurns

Banned
What do you mean? It doesn't recognize USB storage mode?
There isn't one:
Samsung Galaxy S III is undoubtedly the hottest selling smartphone right now. The third phone of the Galaxy series, Galaxy S III packs in a plethora of new features on top of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.

Unfortunately, this time, Samsung has decided to strip out support for USB Mass Storage mode in favor of MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) for some unknown reasons. The fact that MTP allows simultaneous use of data on the phone and PC could be a possible reason

And that doesn't show up for me. Could be because my PC and Mac are both running pretty old OSs.

Darkkn

Am I missing something incredibly stupid? This phone comes with no software, and it won't mount on my PC or Mac, how am I meant to get my music and things to it?

It should work just by plugging it to usb.

AirDroid is amazing for managing music etc. of the phone wirelessly via browser.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ordered this one for now, until I can find a better option, or end up spending 40 bucks on the official one.

This one, like the official one, blocks the volume button and the notification light. Volume blocked I can live with, but notification? Come on.

http://www.nomorerack.com/daily_dea...cover_for_samsung_galaxy_siii__i9300__silver_

Is that a replacement back? I cant tell how it attaches because it covers nothing of the front. I hope we get some replacement backs that add a little texture. I don't want bulk, but I do want grippiness.

massoluk

Banned
There isn't one:

And that doesn't show up for me. Could be because my PC and Mac are both running pretty old OSs.

I have some problem with Galaxy S too, but I usually just take MicroSD card out and do it manually when I want to transfer some big batch of files.

FireCloud

There isn't one:

That's strange. I don't have any experience with phones that switched to using MTP. My DroidX currently mounts the SD card as an external USB.

Depending upon your SD card format, if you have a microSD card adapter you could mount the SC card to the PC that way and copy your music over. Less than convenient but it might work until you find other options.

Edit: Beaten by massoluk.

So the Samsung Kies program doesn't work from the PC?
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv-s2r4-k8c
Link: http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/

Apparently there is an Android app that you can run called Kies Air. You start the app on your phone and then from your PC you open your browser and point it to the IP address listed on the phone. It gives you a web app for moving files between the computer and the phone.
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lncRlONPV5c
Play Store: Kies Air

If Kies Air works with the S3, that'll probably be the tool I use to transfer files to/from the PC.

Sorry if this is old information to everyone. It is all new to me.

Will someone who preordered their phone through Verizon please update this thread with some good news so I can stop checking it every couple of minutes?

kitch9

Banned
So I currently own both the HOX and Sg3 and I am really torn on which to keep. On one hand the HOX is a beautiful device and both the screen and camera are leagues above the s3 imo. On the other hand the s3 is clearly a faster and smoother device. I like the notification light, the physical home button, the location of the power button plus it's quite comfortable to hold. The multitasking crushes the hox as well I never have any reloads for Web pages or caching for maps when switching back this was very annoying on the hox.

Then the battery life, I live in an lte area and am constantly pulling down data via lte. The hox gives me about 3 hours of screen time before it craps out and the s3 is giving me about 4.

I average significantly faster data speeds on the Hox and find my signal is both stronger and latches on faster on the hox.

I do take a lot of pictures with my phone and I find the camera quality of the s3, especially in low light to be really lacking and comparable to the Iphone 4.

I feel as if everything hardware related the one x nailed, But everything software related the s3 seems to have the upper hand on.

My Mrs has got the HOX and I've got the S3 and I'd argue with you about the camera... HTC cameras always have an annoying red tint which ruins the picture imo... I would say that the HOX screen is slightly better but hers has the yellow spot problem which takes the edge off it.

Battery SUCKS on the HOX once you start doing anything mildly taxing though.

FireCloud

I'm on Vista (which ironically doesn't have a wifi Kies set up guide, even though XP and 7 both do), but thanks. I tried Kies, no love there either.

I'm confused. By wifi Kies are you meaning Kies Air? If so, isn't it just a program that runs on your phone? There is nothing to install on the PC. You just have to use your web browser and point it to your phone's IP address.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm confused. By wifi Kies are you meaning Kies Air? If so, isn't it just a program that runs on your phone? There is nothing to install on the PC. You just have to use your web browser and point it to your phone's IP address.
No, I don't. Normal Kies, the iTunes clone, can be connected to via USB or WiFi, neither of which works for me.

pr0cs

Depressing, I am going month - to -month on my phone now since I bought it outright a while back, I want to keep my plan and get the SGS3, sadly they want me to drop my plan an go on a lesser (less features, same money) in order to buy a subsidized SGS3.
What a joke.

I'll probably have to wait until the iphone5 to come out and people dump the SGS3 to buy the latest iphone so I can buy it outright, I don't want to give my my current plan.

We in Canada get so screwed by cell providers.

rozay

Banned
Finally saw one of these in person...while the blue color itself looks nice, the stupid brushed metal texture is prominent on the front of the device and it just doesn't look nice to me. Was hoping it would be more subdued.

strongly suggest going with white if you're not a fan of that look.

as far as the phone itself, not much to say other than there's definitely copious amounts of butter inside.

Depressing, I am going month - to -month on my phone now since I bought it outright a while back, I want to keep my plan and get the SGS3, sadly they want me to drop my plan an go on a lesser (less features, same money) in order to buy a subsidized SGS3.
What a joke.

I'll probably have to wait until the iphone5 to come out and people dump the SGS3 to buy the latest iphone so I can buy it outright, I don't want to give my my current plan.

We in Canada get so screwed by cell providers.

change the provider to wind/moblicity if you can.

Husker86

I'm strangely excited about the physical home button.

I pre ordered blue because I heard white gets dirty...but now that I think about it, it doesn't have the same texture as the OneX so white GS3 should be safe in jeans, right?

UPS tracking updated. i'm afraid i won't be home to sign for it at 3pm tomorrow. but it should be a busy day and they deliver it at 7pm D: here's hoping.

rozay

Banned
I'm strangely excited about the physical home button.

I pre ordered blue because I heard white gets dirty...but now that I think about it, it doesn't have the same texture as the OneX so white GS3 should be safe in jeans, right?
It's very, very glossy, I don't think you need to worry about jean dye getting on it, and honestly even with a black phone you should clean it once in a while.

VanWinkle

Just pre-ordered the phone on Verizon so I could keep unlimited data. I'm so excited! Been on WP7 for about 8 months now, and very ready to get back to Android. WP7 had some great things about it and it was very smooth, but I never felt like I could do much beyond talking/texting/facebook/music. There wasn't really a healthy app ecosystem (despite a good number of apps) so I rarely used apps. I did love Zune/Zune Pass, but I'm going to try to switch to Rdio.

Now, my last Android phone was a Droid Eris, which I very much hated, lol. This will be quite the step up.

UPS tracking updated. i'm afraid i won't be home to sign for it at 3pm tomorrow. but it should be a busy day and they deliver it at 7pm D: here's hoping.

updated again with this now

Scheduled Delivery:
Tuesday, 06/26/2012
Approximate Delivery Time:
4:30 PM - 7:00 PM
lol sounds better.
it's 1.3lbs too.

EDIT: i fixed it. they will drop it at the door. i guess i'll make sure whoever is home at the time gets it.

Top Bottom