• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

rc213

Guy on the phone said only new customers and upgrades are eligible to purchase the phone at this time. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until late this year and I don't want to add another line just to be allowed to purchase it.

USF

Coming from iPhone .. this is a win for me!

gteuV.jpg

massoluk

Banned
Insane that I can't purchase a Galaxy S3 for their ridiculous full retail price from T-Mobile.

Sad panda.... :/

You can. At least last I check, going from their front page. I asked them about it through internet chat, but apparently their rep know shit.
EDIT: nevermind, I was eligible for upgrade.

Cipherr

Guy on the phone said only new customers and upgrades are eligible to purchase the phone at this time. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until late this year and I don't want to add another line just to be allowed to purchase it.

Ok.... that has to be the most moronic thing I have ever heard. They had better be doing that because of limited stock of the phone. If they are just saying people cant buy it....just because, that would be absolutely stupid.

surly

Banned
Ok.... that has to be the most moronic thing I have ever heard. They had better be doing that because of limited stock of the phone. If they are just saying people cant buy it....just because, that would be absolutely stupid.
I left T-Mobile in the UK after several years as a customer because of this phone.

If you're a new customer, you can get the phone free on a £26 per month contract. If you're an existing T-Mobile customer, you can be counted as a new customer if you port your number to a pay and go SIM on another network, then port it straight back to T-Mobile again - T-Mobile will even tell you this. But porting is a bit of a pain because you have to wait a couple of days to port away from T-Mobile, then another couple of days to port back, so I asked if I could just have the £26 a month deal without doing that, given that the "new customer only" thing was a pointless restriction anyway due to the porting workaround. They said no.

I said I would leave and switch to Orange, who they share a network with, as Orange do the phone for £26 a month for new customers too. I asked for my PAC code and that was that. I then got a call from a T-Mobile manager asking why I was leaving, so I told them and I said I would stay if they gave me the £26 a month "new customer" deal without me having to port my number, but they still said no. I said "so you're enticing new customers with this deal, but you don't want to hang on to loyal customers that have been with you for years, even though they can jump through hoops and be counted as a new customer anyway?" and they just replied "I appreciate where you're coming from blah blah", but ultimately they would not budge.

Sorry to post what might have already been covered (not going to page through 70 pages, TBH), but anyone who has moved from the S2 to S3 finding this phone to be tons better, or just a faster, prettier 'new hat' kinda change?

I expect to see differences coming from a different android or iphone, but as a successor how does this one hold up?

I actually preferred the GS2 design, but the larger screen is much better. The design is starting to win me over and having the phone in white is helping that.

When I was out the other night at a busy pub, a lot of randoms came up to me and asked if it was the new Galaxy S 3 and asked could they see it. That was weird as that's never happened to me before. It's like, just a phone man!

As for the OS, I'm not really seeing it being much faster. I'm not getting any lag in anything at all though. And I've played some graphic heavy games too, like GTA3, NOVA etc, and it handles them perfect. Movies look great on it and they do look better on the GS3. I've put Ironman 2 on both devices and played them next to eachother and there was a difference. I've no idea why people were banging on about the pentile stuff. Some of the GS3's features I use too and find them handy, like Smart Stay and S Beam. I'm also finding the camera to be a lot better too.

I've also done a side by side comparison with a mates HTC ONE X and that just came down to preference. They both performed equally.

I'm on Vista (which ironically doesn't have a wifi Kies set up guide, even though XP and 7 both do), but thanks. I tried Kies, no love there either.

Have you tried DLNA? I'm not at home to try it, but using the same wi-fi connection that your pc is on, you should be able to transfer music that way.

Ecto311

Coming from an iPhone 4 this phone is amazing. So good my wife the diehard apple person said she wants one. With the big screen but small sides it does feel great in hand compared to the larger bezel on the iPhone4.

torontoml

Anyone in Canada have theirs ship yet? I was hoping to have mine on the release date but I haven't received an email, so it looks like it will either be shipping tomorrow on the release date or its delayed again.

Interesting. What specifically do you like about the phone and OS? Just curious as a current iPhone user who doesn't know what he's going to do for his next phone.

I'm guessing you know, the TWICE AS BIG screen.

Seriously, once Apple catches up their screen size a little bit slowly, I'm sure the Apple masses will be happy, but for now the discrepancy is getting ridiculous.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm guessing you know, the TWICE AS BIG screen.

Seriously, once Apple catches up their screen size a little bit slowly, I'm sure the Apple masses will be happy, but for now the discrepancy is getting ridiculous.

Can't say I'm exactly pleased with the expected size increase Apple is going with...height only. Was hoping for a bit wider as well.

I got international S3...was so excited.

Had to get a new micro sim from AT&T. They had to enter my IMEI number and stuff.

But data no longer works on the phone. I can make and receive calls fine. They couldn't figure it out, their last suggestion was to call Samsung, but I have to leave for work.

I don't know what the hell they did while giving me the micro sim. When I switched to the International S2, I just popped the SIM in and it worked fine.

ep85

Had to get a new micro sim from AT&T. They had to enter my IMEI number and stuff.

But data no longer works on the phone. I can make and receive calls fine. They couldn't figure it out, their last suggestion was to call Samsung, but I have to leave for work.

I don't know what the hell they did while giving me the micro sim. When I switched to the International S2, I just popped the SIM in and it worked fine.

Just a quick call to 611 and tell them to add data back onto your account. If you were on "unlimited" before don't forget to mention that. Happened to me when I got a new SIM card when I lost my phone.

Just a quick call to 611 and tell them to add data back onto your account. If you were on "unlimited" before don't forget to mention that. Happened to me when I got a new SIM card when I lost my phone.

I have a data plan on the account it shows. Confirmed online and by operator.

Ecto311

What phone did you have before? You might have the wrong data setup.

Talon

If you came from a phone without 4G LTE, then your plan actually changed. AT&T treats 4G (LTE) plans differently from 3G plans (with HSPA+).

methodman

Banned
This phone really is awesome. The battery life has been phenomenal plus the speed increase from my iPhone to this is incomparable. I'd recommend it to anyone.

VanWinkle

This phone really is awesome. The battery life has been phenomenal plus the speed increase from my iPhone to this is incomparable. I'd recommend it to anyone.

What iPhone did you have before this?

Is there any chance Verizon will ship these out early? Waiting until the 11th is going to be rough.

Omzz

Anyone in Canada have theirs ship yet? I was hoping to have mine on the release date but I haven't received an email, so it looks like it will either be shipping tomorrow on the release date or its delayed again.

I called my local Bell store. They said they are going to have 8 Pebble Blue and 8 White S3 in stock tomorrow. So it looks it's a limited run. I'm not exactly sure how the shipping and all of that would work, but it does seem like the major carriers will have them available for tomorrow.

USF

Interesting. What specifically do you like about the phone and OS? Just curious as a current iPhone user who doesn't know what he's going to do for his next phone.

It just feels more open, while iOS has so many restrictions. I mean I can plug and play my external hdd on this thing, copy & play HD movies like a charm on its sexy big screen..

torontoml

I called my local Bell store. They said they are going to have 8 Pebble Blue and 8 White S3 in stock tomorrow. So it looks it's a limited run. I'm not exactly sure how the shipping and all of that would work, but it does seem like the major carriers will have them available for tomorrow.

Which sucks since I pre-ordered and should be getting it before people in the store. But it won't even be shipping until tomorrow

barrin87

Who won't Sprint take my money! I still can't figure out when they will be getting the GS3 in their stores and the people that work there don't know shit either.

Ashhong

thanks man. ill definitely look into all that.

what do you guys think about swiftkey 3?

If you want to have the stock ICS look, I would suggest getting Apex Launcher. No themes iirc, but it's simple and clean, with a lot of good functions.

I can't stand those swipe keyboards, even after trying very very hard to love it. Many people love them though

surly

Banned
So whats some ways to edit your home page? I really have no clue how to use android yet lol
Another launcher I'd recommend is Nova. You can try all of the launchers mentioned so far anyway as they're all either free or have free versions.

methodman said:
what do you guys think about swiftkey 3?
I like it, but I prefer Swype. The latest version of Swype has word prediction like Swiftkey too. You can get the Swype beta free by signing up here: -

http://beta.swype.com/android/agreement/

Definitely try both though, because some people don't get along with Swype but for me, I love that way of "typing".

demented

Down to 475 eur no contract here ^^
Can get it at any point now but still worried about issues it has, I'll probably wait for month or so anyway but should I wait for maybe v2 model or something? My worries from previous post: problem with screen, blotches/ink whatever it's called, people say you can notice it in the dark, then some showed that screen isn't white but pink at max/low brightness, backside scraping like crazy etc.

Emily Chu

Banned
Right.

On-screen buttons (GNex) > Capacitive buttons > Physical buttons is the way I see it.

Turning off the nav bar and using lmt.apk is even better

Full screen nexus fuck yeah
Home back and task keys as pie controls.ftw

Think.ics stock.browser pie controls but for the 3 or more nav buttons

teiresias

Only thing that is disappointing about the phone is that Netflix still looks better on my PSVita. The video quality of the stream just isn't as high quality on the GS3 compared to the Vita - granted, this is no doubt more due to the Netflix Android app being crap than the phone itself, but it's still annoying.

As for the home button, I don't mind it. I'd prefer if it were recessed into the phone rather raised, but oh well, Apple probably patented concave buttons or something. Coming from an EVO 4G I was used to the capacitive buttons anyway, and I've made no mystery about the fact that I hate the on-screen buttons in ICS as applied to phones (I have no issue with them on tablets), so I'm pretty happy with the setup.

Top Bottom