• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Toki767

International or US? And do you care about the screen?

International I'd go with the S3. Exynos quad core handily beats Tegra 3.

US is more personal preference between screen and build quality vs expandability, removable battery, and 2gb of RAM.

Pctx

Banned
What exactly should they be updating to at this point since JB isn't out yet for anything and it's already running on ICS?
Not buying a Google experience phone is the one thing I regret getting back into the Android fray. The AT&T S3 will be lucky if it sees Jelly Bean this year and by then we'll have something new for Android coming soon. Then again, I should've known this with my Skyrocket but I'm running ICS now so yeah. If you care about updates it sucks getting carrier locked phones.

tokkun

Not buying a Google experience phone is the one thing I regret getting back into the Android fray. The AT&T S3 will be lucky if it sees Jelly Bean this year and by then we'll have something new for Android coming soon. Then again, I should've known this with my Skyrocket but I'm running ICS now so yeah. If you care about updates it sucks getting carrier locked phones.

There will be a stable Jelly Bean-based ROM out before the end of the year, without question. It only took 4 months to get a feature-complete ICS ROM for my Evo, despite the phone being almost 2 years old and ICS being a much bigger update than JB.

Pctx

Banned
There will be a stable Jelly Bean-based ROM out before the end of the year, without question. It only took 4 months to get a feature-complete ICS ROM for my Evo, despite the phone being almost 2 years old and ICS being a much bigger update than JB.
One click Odin for sure but nothing official.

Toki767

It'll definitely be interesting to see how fast JB comes out on the S3 and the One X as JB is the first time Google has given the hardware manufacturers the PDK a few months before release. That should theoretically cut down the update time.

inm8num2

Word on the street on various forums is that Verizon encrypted the S3 bootloader, and chances of rooting are slim.

Very disappointing. You think you're all set with something then this news breaks. I hope we can learn if rooting is possible or not in the next few days.

rozay

Banned
Word on the street on various forums is that Verizon encrypted the S3 bootloader, and chances of rooting are slim.

Very disappointing. You think you're all set with something then this news breaks. I hope we can learn if rooting is possible or not in the next few days.
Rooting should be possible, but don't buy the phone expecting to ever flash a custom ROM on it. If it's cracked, it should be icing on the cake for your purchase because of how unlikely it is.

kyan-

Banned
LOL oh man about that verizon joining bootloader-gate with their sgs3...this a first for a samsung android device?

Ash_69

So, the SIII or the HTC One X? Both unlocked.

HTC one x. I deliberated for a month before deciding.

My rationale was the design, screen and camera. My bro has the S3 and it's camera just cannot contend with the features and low lighting shots of the one X. I would go as far as saying I wouldn't need to ever take a camera out again, it's that good.

Both amazing so you can't go wrong though.

Husker86

It'll definitely be interesting to see how fast JB comes out on the S3 and the One X as JB is the first time Google has given the hardware manufacturers the PDK a few months before release. That should theoretically cut down the update time.
I thought they just announced having a PDK and that it doeant start until next release.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Why is everybody getting cases?

Nothing like going bare back! The risk versus reward of not having a case.

I think I will be getting a flip cover since it also replaces the back. That way any back scratches will be fixed by going to the standard back.

I just wish it showed the notificaton light. Maybe I can dremel a hole/notch in it.

Raknar

Neo Member
I was due an upgrade this week so I decided to make the switch from an iPhone 4 to the GS3. It's been a brilliant phone so far, with a perfect screen size and a refreshing UI compared to my old iPhones.

I really wasn't sure whether I'd prefer it, but now I'm starting to think I should have made the switch to Android sooner!

Anyone played with Torque?

I read something about a bluetooth driver bug on some samsung models in the past, so can anyone confirm it works fine?

massoluk

Banned
MPpjx.png

Will the new update fix this BS? I don't want to root my phone :\.

Just got one of these today. Phone seems great so far. Curious about something though...I'm used to just using amonra/clockwork recoveries to flash stuff after rooting, but now I see that there's something called Odin. Never used that before. Is that necessary or just the preferred way of doing it now? I haven't really looked into this stuff at all for a while, been flashing stuff on an Evo 4g and a Nexus S for a couple years and i'd rather just do it like that if possible, unless there are some important enough reasons to use this Odin stuff instead. Going to research it tonight and see what its all about

I also don't even know what the fuss is about touchwiz. Why do people hate it so much? I haven't messed with it at all but it seems pretty much the same as the stuff i've been using on my old phone with a few added features

Unicorn

Buh. Hopefully that gets sorted out.

In other news, mine finally shipped today! Will be here Monday if the estimates are correct!

Buh. Hopefully that gets sorted out.

In other news, mine finally shipped today! Will be here Monday if the estimates are correct!

Mine shipped on Thursday, though also says it should be here Monday. Fedex blows though, it shipped 2 day, got to Newark, about 2 hours from me, on Thursday night. It has sat in Newark since then.

Emily Chu

Banned
after much fanfare I've finally tried out the phone for myself at a ATT

snapped a pic with my gnex
VQydNl.jpg

so this is what all the hype was about ? didnt seem like anything but a retooled gnex with sense UI and ugly physical buttons
came away just overall unimpressed this was supposed to be flag ship?

back design felt cheap plastic and pebble blue looked purple to me

whats so special about this phone compared to my gnex ?

meh

http://i.imgur.com/VQydNl.jpg

so this is what all the hype was about ? didnt seem like anything but a retooled gnex with sense UI and ugly physical buttons

meh

For one, the gnex camera is garbage.

Husker86

http://i.imgur.com/VQydNl.jpg[/IMG

meh[/QUOTE]
That picture sure shows one of the major GN weak points. I'm still rocking the GNex and was planning on selling the GS3 I have coming, but we will have to see. I haven't heard any negative reviews up to this point.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

VQydNl.jpg

meh

id say if youre happy with your nex you should just stick with it. personally i dont think itd be worth an upgrade. with that said, heres whats better:

screen size
sd slot
huge battery
removable battery
lte
2 gbs of ram (can/usa)
cooler, more efficient, yet much better cpu (can/usa)
better graphics (can/usa)
much much better processor (international)
much much better graphics (international)
better audio i think, especially for the international
8mp high quality camera
the touchwiz stuff if youre into it
50gb of dropbox storage for 2 years (or was it 1 year?)

the nexus will get upgrades faster than the s3 though

id say if youre happy with your nex you should just stick with it. personally i dont think itd be worth an upgrade. with that said, heres whats better:

screen size
sd slot
huge battery
removable battery
lte
2 gbs of ram (can/usa)
8mp high quality camera

GNexus has a removable battery and LTE.

Emily Chu

Banned

screen size
sd slot
huge battery
removable battery
lte
2 gbs of ram (can/usa)
8mp high quality camera

well I'm not going to give you "screen size"

4.65" vs 4.8" in person is barely noticeable, it's a hair taller then my Gnex which has the Nav Bar removed via a custom rom for fair comparison.
same res too @ 720p

tbh Idk if I can tell the difference between a quad core or dual core in a phone.... with day 2 day task

I mean how much faster can you load up neogaf or scroll though it ? : /

everything else feels like a wash kinda jelly of the SD slot and 2GB ram though...

and tbh WHY does the Gnex have a 5 MP camera ? wut even my retired Droid X had a 8 MP the phone I used before the nex

well I'm not going to give you "screen size"

4.65" vs 4.8" in person is barely noticeable, it's a hair taller then my Gnex which has the Nav Bar removed via a custom rom for fair comparison.
same res too @ 720p

tbh Idk if I can tell the difference between a quad core or dual core in a phone.... with day 2 day task

I mean how much faster can you load up neogaf or scroll though it ? : /

everything else feels like a wash kinda jelly of the SD slot and 2GB ram though...

and tbh WHY does the Gnex have a 5 MP camera ? wut even my retired Droid X had a 8 MP the phone I used before the nex

Quad core isn't better, the dual performs just as well with less battery and it'll be a while before developers actually take advantage of the quad. As for the camera, the 5MP isn't the problem, it's the shitty optics. It's the only reason I'll upgrade to something sooner than later.

Top Bottom