• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

So I just realized that all 4G devices from Verizon are now going to use Sim cards. If I ordered this online, and this is my first 4G device will it come with a Sim card, or am I going to have to go to the store after my phone comes in to get one?

Ptaaty

Got it. Love it. Use it one hand fine.... (6'2"...big enough hands I guess).

Absolutely love having the bigger screen.

Argyle

So I just realized that all 4G devices from Verizon are now going to use Sim cards. If I ordered this online, and this is my first 4G device will it come with a Sim card, or am I going to have to go to the store after my phone comes in to get one?

It should come with a SIM card (the two my parents got came with SIM cards)

thirty

Banned

it'll come with one. I don't get people complaining about it being too big either unless you're used to an iPhone. It's barely bigger than a phone say like the Droid x or the newer razor. All they've done is use pretty much the same size as just about every 4.3 inch screened phone and made more of the face of the phone actual SCREEN and less bezel and buttons.

rozay

Banned
it'll come with one. I don't get people complaining about it being too big either unless you're used to an iPhone. It's barely bigger than a phone say like the Droid x or the newer razor. All they've done is use pretty much the same size as just about every 4.3 inch screened phone and made more of the face of the phone actual SCREEN and less bezel and buttons.
It's not as easy to use phones like this or the galaxy nexus one handed, but if you use your phone with both hands you'll be fine

Mulberry

It's not as easy to use phones like this or the galaxy nexus one handed, but if you use your phone with both hands you'll be fine

I have small to average size hands and have used the DROIDX for the last two years, one handed, no problem.

rozay

Banned
I have small to average size hands and have used the DROIDX for the last two years, one handed, no problem.
Really depends then I guess. I don't have huge hands but they aren't small and I still have to shift my hand if I want to reach the top left corner of my phone/the notification bar occasionally on my nexus.

tokkun

I came from an Evo. While the SIII is only slightly wider, it's about 10% taller. But size is not the only thing that makes it difficult to use one-handed. The home button requires a bit of pressure to actuate so you have to contort your thumb a bit more than you do with purely capacitive buttons. The glossy texture of the battery cover, combined with the thinness and lightness, also makes it more difficult to readjust the phone in your hand. The Evo also has more curved back, which makes it easier to cup in the hand than the SIII.

minx

I find it surprisingly easy to hold. My thumb can reach the bottom left and top right of the screen easily but not the top left corner. I have bigger hands though. If you have small hands this phone would be a challenge one handed.

Kyoufu

Mine should be here on Tuesday. Question:

Which dock/charger do you guys use? And are there any cases you can't live without?

An-Det

Estimated delivery is tomorrow for me. Definitely excited to finally upgrade from my Droid X. Will be playing with this all night tomorrow after work.

Estimated delivery is tomorrow for me. Definitely excited to finally upgrade from my Droid X. Will be playing with this all night tomorrow after work.

Nice, mine is supposed to come in tomorrow to, the wait it killing me, I want to change my ancient phone asap.

rozay

Banned
I don't see the point in that. What are the advantages over a dock charger?
Mainly convenience and not having to worry about damaging the microusb port. I'm not sure if you'll be able to use NFC with it though, especially if it uses magnets to hold onto the charger.

kitch9

Banned
MPpjx.png

Will the new update fix this BS? I don't want to root my phone :\.

Its not important.... Your battery is not draining any quicker than it should be, just Cell Standby usage is being mis-reported due to a calculation error.

You don't "need" to do anything.

Crazyorloco

Just upgraded wife's phone to this, reception is noticeably lower than her old HTC EVO 4G. *edit* Honeymoon over...The reception is really lower. (consistently around -100 dBm whereas her old EVO 4Gwould be in the -80's) The reception of the Galaxy S3 is on par with my Galaxy S2. I guess Samsung antenna's are weaker? I don't see much posted on the phone reception so I wanted to give a heads up to those interested in that.

But everything else is just perfect. I love face unlock and the new way to do screen shots. I'm somewhat jealous. I don't have an upgrade yet till next year, I can't wait.

Withnail

For UK owners, there is an update available via Kies.

Details here

Changes include :
Brightness slider added to notification pulldown
Improved swype for stock keyboard
New widgets

I've had the phone for a week or two now and I was already really happy with it, but I installed this over the weekend and its taken it from great to fucking wow! Launcher redraw has been all but eliminated which makes the whole phone feel more responsive, numerous UI improvements, battery life seems even better, fixes for a few niggles I had with the stock keyboard. I'm seriously struggling to find fault with the phone now. Great work Samsung.

SpecX

I wish FedEx would update the shipping status. It's been showing departed from Newark, NJ since Friday, but estimated delivery date is for today. If I don't see if arriving at the local hub within the next hour or so, I doubt it will be delivered today.

Kyoufu

I've had the phone for a week or two now and I was already really happy with it, but I installed this over the weekend and its taken it from great to fucking wow! Launcher redraw has been all but eliminated which makes the whole phone feel more responsive, numerous UI improvements, battery life seems even better, fixes for a few niggles I had with the stock keyboard. I'm seriously struggling to find fault with the phone now. Great work Samsung.

How do I install it?

Withnail

How do I install it?

I got it by installing Samsung's Kies software on my PC, then as soon as I connected the phone by USB I got the notification that there was new firmware available for download. Apparently it's also being delivered OTA. I'm in the UK on an unbranded handset, if you have a carrier branded one it might not be available yet.

Kyoufu

I got it by installing Samsung's Kies software on my PC, then as soon as I connected the phone by USB I got the notification that there was new firmware available for download. Apparently it's also being delivered OTA. I'm in the UK on an unbranded handset, if you have a carrier branded one it might not be available yet.

Thanks. Mine is unbranded also.

Jerrod

Got mine on Saturday and I have no complaints yet. Coming from a Galaxy S1 everything has been vastly improved. I love the bigger screen however I have small hands so while I can still use everything one handed well enough my thumb starts hurting a bit from having to stretch it and bend it in slightly odd ways to reach all the buttons.

Unicorn

On the delivery truck! Hopefully it arrives before noon so I can grab it at lunch. It is supposed to be 115 today, with 15% humidity. I don't want to go home at 5 and find a melted heap of plastic!

What's a good screen protetor? I had ghost armor for my droid and liked the feel of it (more than just actually touching the screen [smudges etc.]).

united-states-flag-640.jpg

O say can you see by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Hahah christ America ...

SpecX

Awesome! FedEx just delivered mine. I have it charging while I figure out how to activate the sim card. So Excited!!

Shiggy

Any particular microSD cards recommended for this phone?

Was thinking about the SanDisk Ultra Class 10 microSDHC Ultra 32GB which also supports UHSI.

Top Bottom