• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Emily Chu

Banned
Hi Guys, I'm a Verizon GS III.

verizon-unapproved-365x650.jpg

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/07/0...k-workaround-potentially-found-bounty-placed/

gR225.gif

kehs

Banned
But everything on the Play Store is fair game?
Also would circumventing the bootloader void my warranty?

Yes to the second question. Even devices that make unlocking the bootloader easy have disclaimers about voiding warranty btw.

Not sure about the first. Verizon has control over what shows in the play store in the first place, like preventing Wallet from installing on their devices.

I'm not sure if they'd overreach and intervene when you sideload stuff though.

rozay

Banned
But everything on the Play Store is fair game?
verizon's blocked apps from appearing in the store before, but you can probably use something like market enabler to access it. not sure what the latest way is since I'm not overseas anymore.

Also would circumventing the bootloader void my warranty?
Phone probably has the same counter that triggers when flashing roms, so if they find a way around that you'll be able to do so without voiding the warranty.

Violater

verizon's blocked apps from appearing in the store before, but you can probably use something like market enabler to access it. not sure what the latest way is since I'm not overseas anymore.

Phone probably has the same counter that triggers when flashing roms, so if they find a way around that you'll be able to do so without voiding the warranty.

Well, ordered the S3 for my sister's who was eligible for an upgrade for Verizon and wanted a phone while she could still keep her unlimited data. It arrived today so I will test hers and then do the same in the sprint store whenever they get one.

basik

so verizon s3 has root meaning I can tether,titanium backup, use ps3 controller and some other stuff?

but for now I cant do something like install jellybean? not perfect but thats good for now.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Are there any Galaxy S III's in store for display in the US yet (Verizon stores)?

Just starting to appear in places. I just checked one out at Sprint a week or so ago since I knew they'd have them to look at even though I'm not a Sprint customer.

An-Det

Screw Fedex. It was out for delivery today, but instead of simply having the front office sign for it so I can pick it up after work, they said fuck you and will attempt delivery again tomorrow. Guess I'm working from home tomorrow.

greyshark

Screw Fedex. It was out for delivery today, but instead of simply having the front office sign for it so I can pick it up after work, they said fuck you and will attempt delivery again tomorrow. Guess I'm working from home tomorrow.

Can't you show up to the FedEx office tomorrow morning before it goes out for delivery? I've done that with FedEx in the past - their truck doesn't go out right away so you should have time to get it yourself.

An-Det

Can't you show up to the FedEx office tomorrow morning before it goes out for delivery? I've done that with FedEx in the past - their truck doesn't go out right away so you should have time to get it yourself.

I could, buit it's a 40 minute drive one-way from my place. It's annoying, but I'll let them come to me.

LM4sure

Banned
Welcome to the Verizon / Google pissing match on NFC payments. Verizon wants the biz and currently blocks Google Wallet on several devices.

How is google wallet different from level up? I use level up all the time, and your phone doesn't need an nfc chip to use it. Google wallet sounds kind of pointless.

kehs

Banned
How is google wallet different from level up? I use level up all the time, and your phone doesn't need an nfc chip to use it. Google wallet sounds kind of pointless.

Level up is just a QR code scanner that sends your CC info.

Wallet is just an NFC scanner that sends your CC info.

Same thing, different interface.

NFC is just more common in the credit card world than using a camera app to scan qr codes.

inm8num2

At least they didn't angrily throw the package at your door.

surly

Banned
From the Android |OT| thread.... this doesn't look good.

Edit: One thing to note, this is apparently the international version which has been on the market for a while now. If this was a real issue, you would think it would be all over the news.
This story turned out to be a hoax. It seems that the guy may have put his phone in a microwave in an attempt to dry it out after getting it wet. Either way, it didn't just spontaneously combust: -

http://www.pcworld.com/article/258998/galaxy_s_iii_spontaneous_combustion_tale_was_a_hoax.html

And his retraction on the original forum he posted it on: -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79594704

What is the best way to transfer music from a computer to a GS3? Is it possible to do via SBeam? I am on a macbook so I don't know if that would be an issue.

saunderez

What is the best way to transfer music from a computer to a GS3? Is it possible to do via SBeam? I am on a macbook so I don't know if that would be an issue.

Plug it in via USB and copy the files over. As long as your computer supports MTP you will have filesystem access. External SD needs exFAT support, according to wiki you need 10.6.5 in order to have support for this.

Can I just transfer my old sdcard into my new phone and not have it cause any issues? I have like 16gb of music on there, really don't want to format it.

Unicorn

Currently posting from mine. Gotta get used to the touch keyboard. Had to goto the FedEx site after work to pick it up. The box was crushed and opened but I could see the actual box was fine. All the Verizon bloatware on here is just ridiculous. Also I am kind of scared how everything on my droid magically transferred here without me even doing anything. I kind of don't know what to do with my new magic device....

zbeeb

Currently posting from mine. Gotta get used to the touch keyboard. Had to goto the FedEx site after work to pick it up. The box was crushed and opened but I could see the actual box was fine. All the Verizon bloatware on here is just ridiculous. Also I am kind of scared how everything on my droid magically transferred here without me even doing anything. I kind of don't know what to do with my new magic device....

Settings -> Apps -> Select Bloatware -> Disable -> Repeat

:)

VanWinkle

I was really surprised to see hardly any Gameloft games work on this thing? I figured with it being such a popular phone, they would have all been compatible (Verizon version if that makes a difference).

Cipherr

saunderez

Cmon son..... 4 different carriers in the US, and international versions also, all the others are unlocked, yours isn't.

And you are going to try and point the finger at the manufacturer? Really bad form there. They must be assuming other carriers locked it too, thats the only way I could see them trying to sell us on that horseshit.

Yeah sounds like they think their customers are morons. It's not like anyone who actually wants to unlock their bootloader wouldn't have put in 10 seconds of research and found out everyone else could do it. No siree!

quaere

Can I just transfer my old sdcard into my new phone and not have it cause any issues? I have like 16gb of music on there, really don't want to format it.
It depends on the app. Android in general, no problem. But I had my Kindle books get messed up transferring a SD card. Kept saying I had to remove the books and download again in an endless loop.

Top Bottom