• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

demented

Question for people that are post "can't keep my hands of it", how's the battery life? Without being connected to internet all day or playing games on it,normal usage, can you expect 24+hours of battery on it?
Want to get it asap but price here stopped dropping now, my phone is annoying me how slow and unresponsive it became but gotta wait bit more, september most likely unless I find someone selling his that got it on contract.

Toki767

Question for people that are post "can't keep my hands of it", how's the battery life? Without being connected to internet all day or playing games on it,normal usage, can you expect 24+hours of battery on it?
Want to get it asap but price here stopped dropping now, my phone is annoying me how slow and unresponsive it became but gotta wait bit more, september most likely unless I find someone selling his that got it on contract.
Over 24 hours is easy. Standby time on this thing is great. Goes down maybe 10% at most overnight

Want to get it asap but price here stopped dropping now, my phone is annoying me how slow and unresponsive it became but gotta wait bit more, september most likely unless I find someone selling his of the contract..

6 hours at work, i get shitty signal for verizon here so my battery drains alot, its at half way after 6.5 hours roughly. Keep in mind, on top of the lack of signal pushing my battery, ive been also using it quite a bit, so screen has been on at least 2 hours of the time. I would say under normal conditions, 20+ with heavy use is going to be plausible depending on what your heavy use entails.

Ive heard 36 hours on light usage (a few calls, texts, some internet here and there)

Also, I just benchmarked on Linpack and got 161mflops. Coming from Original droid... sooooooo nice

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Since Google Music was brought up, I have a question: Do those that use it like it better than Amazon Cloud Player (assuming you've used both)?

Just wondering what the bonus is, if any, to Google Music. I have around 50 or so albums on Amazon's drive but really need to get to uploading all of my collection (300+ gb) and don't want to regret picking one over the other.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Since Google Music was brought up, I have a question: Do those that use it like it better than Amazon Cloud Player (assuming you've used both)?

Just wondering what the bonus is, if any, to Google Music. I have around 50 or so albums on Amazon's drive but really need to get to uploading all of my collection (300+ gb) and don't want to regret picking one over the other.
Isn't Google Music cloud limited to 20 gb free though...
While Amazon is essentially $1/gb after the first 5 gb, so 50gb = $50, 100gb = $100 per year..

AndyD

aka andydumi

I used both for a while when Music first came out, and now I use Music exclusively. The interface was better and music streamed better to my phone (less hiccups/interruptions if signal is weak). I guess it pre-cached more. Also, Google Music is I think higher bandwidth music, but realistically I can't tell over headphones out of my phone. Maybe on my home stereo.

I think the best advice is upload a GB or so to both, a frequent playlist, and try each for a day or two. Then you can see which fits you best.

I buy Amazon albums still rather than Google Play, and just download with the cloud drive then upload to google music.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
d[-_-]b;39726261 said:
While Amazon is essentially $1/gb after the first 5 gb, so 50gb = $50, 100gb = $100 per year..

Ok, well I just looked, and all paid accounts on Amazon get unlimited mp3 storage, whether you buy it from Amazon or upload it yourself, so for $20/yr I can store whatever. I'll just go with that route.

surly

Banned
I'm on 54 hours and 33 minutes on the battery and it's still got 40% charge left. That's with Wi-Fi and GPS turned on all the time.

I have barely used the phone in the last 2 days though. I made a couple of short calls, sent a handful of texts, and did a bit of web browsing. I played Ski Safari for about 45 minutes and fired up Dead Trigger just to show someone how it looked. I also checked the odd notifcation from Facebook and SoundCloud. When I go to sleep I put the phone into airplane mode, so for 6-8 hours a night.

Even with heavy use, I'm impressed with how long the battery lasts though.

SpecX

I fully charged mine overnight and been on battery for 5 1/2 hours now. Had a good hour long call with directv, played some games for roughly 30 min (breaks), web browsing here and there and downloaded some apps from amazon and I still have 65% battery. I think it holds up pretty well.

Husker86

My VZW GSIII just came in...backing up my GNex with Titanium and have the files ready for rooting!

Still not positive which I'm going to keep (GNex or GSIII) but I'm already pretty sure it's the GSIII...

PhatSaqs

Banned
The battery isnt terrible. But as a constant fiddler coming from an extended Droid X batt im a tad underwhelmed. I cant see me ever getting 24 hours out of it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
With how I use my phone,I just know I will have to get an extended battery. I use a 3000mah battery on my Vibrant and even that sometimes runs low on me in one day's use.

Futureman

My VZW GSIII just came in...backing up my GNex with Titanium and have the files ready for rooting!

Still not positive which I'm going to keep (GNex or GSIII) but I'm already pretty sure it's the GSIII...

Ohhh. There's no way I'm selling my recently purchased GNex, but I would be very interested in hearing comparisons.

Husker86

Ohhh. There's no way I'm selling my recently purchased GNex, but I would be very interested in hearing comparisons.
I'll be sure to post some up. I have been going back and forth in my head for weeks and really really love JB on the GNex, but I have an incredibly hard time turning down new hardware so we'll see.

Priz

I have a T-Mo S3. Some of my pictures from my web gallery are... rotating too much? For example, if they're portrait they show up for a second as portrait and then switch to landscape and rotate themselves to the right. Other portrait images in the same gallery are fine. I keep hitting menu but I don't see a way to rotate the photo back to proper orientation in the gallery app and they look fine via any web browser on picasaweb.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Other than little quirks like that, I really love the phone so far. It's been the most solid phone I've had since my Nexus One. (G1 -> N1 -> Motorola Triumph -> S3)

I'll be sure to post some up. I have been going back and forth in my head for weeks and really really love JB on the GNex, but I have an incredibly hard time turning down new hardware so we'll see.

Yeah I just want to echo I'm looking forward to what you think. I'm on Sprint and torn between getting a Nexus off contract (for ~$300) or just using my upgrade and getting the S3. I'm a fan of the S3 hardware (especially microSD and battery life compared to Nexus), but my wife got burned in the past with her Samsung Epic 4G (the original with keyboard, not the S2). I guess what I'll want to hear is if you think the hardware of the S3 is worth it compared to the software updates to the Nexus - specifically do you prefer the S3 with it's better hardware running ICS (ignoring Touchwiz, I'd root and put on a clean build) to the Nexus running JB.

I'm having a tough time just waiting to upgrade to the 2012 Nexus, and if I get the Galaxy Nexus off-contract I could get my wife an iPhone 5 as her Christmas present.

this is not an Onion news piece.

Samsung is pleased to announce the Galaxy S III Developer Edition for Verizon Wireless. The Developer Edition will be sold only through Samsung.com. This special edition device features a user-unlockable bootloader.

Who is this for?

Samsung and Verizon Wireless recognize that there are many enthusiasts and professional developers that are interested in customizing their device with third-party ROM software. Unlocking the bootloader can put the stability of the phone in jeopardy; therefore, only experienced developers should attempt to unlock the bootloader.

What about the other carriers?

Other versions of the Galaxy S III are sold with a user-unlockable bootloader as a standard feature. Those models are available directly from the respective carriers.

Where can I buy the Galaxy S III Developer Edition?

The Developer Edition will be sold online directly from Samsung. When the device is available for purchase, it will be sold through the Samsung developer portal at developer.samsung.com for $599.

Why is Verizon Wireless’ version locked?

Depending on the device, an open bootloader could prevent Verizon Wireless from providing the same level of customer experience and support because it would allow users to change the phone or otherwise modify the software and, potentially, negatively impact how the phone connects with the network. The addition of unapproved software could also negatively impact the wireless experience for other customers. Unlocking the device also voids the warranty.

Has Samsung always unlocked the bootloader on its phones?

While not all previous Samsung Android devices have had an easily unlockable bootloader, all of our other current Galaxy S III flagship lineup, and all Nexus-branded devices, support the standard bootloader unlocking procedure.

What happens if I load custom software and damage (“brick”) my phone?

Problems caused by unlocking the bootloader and installing custom software will not be covered by the warranty.

Problems with third-party and customized bootloader software can cause irreparable harm to the Galaxy S III. Users interested in performing these actions should proceed with caution and at their own risk. Out of warranty Galaxy S III Developer Edition devices will be serviced directly through Samsung, and service charges will apply.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-offer-hacker-friendly-developer-edition-galaxy-s-iii

Kyou

Got mine today(verizon). Haven't activated it yet but good lord this thing is huge and glorious.

It makes my Droid X look small

d[-_-]b;39726261 said:

Google Music is limited to 20,000 songs (250mb per song limit).

That works out closer to 100gb using an average filesize of ~5mb per song.

demented

Oh by the way, was worried about battery because some pages back people said listening to music with phone in the pocket and doing nothing else brought their battery down by a a lot (20% was it?)

FireCloud

The joke's on people who preordered.

... or on "Developers" who want to keep their unlimited data plans and buy a subsidised phone.

Google Music is limited to 20,000 songs (250mb per song limit).

That works out closer to 100gb using an average filesize of ~5mb per song.

I thought that limit only applies to uploaded songs. Purchases or free tracks from the Play Store don't count toward that limit.

Ecto311

5696a.png

Does this look right for the S3? It's about 2 weeks old. I charge it every night to full. The battery has dropped from 9 percent to 7 percent just making this post.

Main reason I ask is my wife just got her white s3 and is getting much better battery life it seems. I wanted to check and see if I should get this to Att for a swap if it looks wrong.

AndyD

aka andydumi
LOL at this Developer Edition bullshit. Verizon is a terrible company.

It is BS. But I wonder if they really are having issues with people installing roms and bricking and complaining. I mean realistically, why would Verizon or any other provider be against it? I don't mean "cause they suck" but real technical concerns or reasons.

My pre-order should be here tomorrow. I guess I need to think whether I want to keep it, or just send it back and go for a developer version outright. I dont really mess with roms, but I do want to root for titanium backup.

Cipherr

I definitely blame Verizon for that. It seems extremely obvious from reading it that Verizon is behind it. Fucking unlocked on any other carrier, but locked on Verizon.

Yeah, whatevs, the available dev version is nice gesture IMO. But its still ridiculous, Verizon fucking sucks man.

tokkun

It is BS. But I wonder if they really are having issues with people installing roms and bricking and complaining. I mean realistically, why would Verizon or any other provider be against it? I don't mean "cause they suck" but real technical concerns or reasons.

A few other potential reasons:

1. Networks are simply control freaks over what software/devices get let on, especially CDMA networks where there are no unlocked phones. This is part of the reason it takes so long for phones to get updates.

2. They may not want you uninstalling the apps they get payed to bundle with the phone or their proprietary stores.

3. Rooted phones may allow you to get apps that allow free access to services they normally charge for, like tethering.

Ephemeris

OMG.

Beaming apps and updates to my phone from the Play store (via the web browser) is the best thing ever. I've done it in small doses on my touchpad and G2, but full scale? Makes life so easy.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I find the ROMs issue very hard to square with the fact that the Galaxy Nexus is on Verizon and can be unlocked easy as pie. I think it's just Verizon being the control-freaks they are.

Impressive or not?

Galaxy SIII Chinese Clone

http://phandroid.com/2012/07/10/can...ng-galaxy-s3-and-this-chinese-knockoff-video/

On paper, the HDC Galaxy S3 is a blast from Android’s past. Boasting a 4.7 inch TFT display, 5MP rear camera with complimentary 0.3MP front facing camera, a speedy 1GHz MTK MT6575 processor, 512MB RAM, all running on Android 2.3 Gingerbread. I know what you’re thinking, “There’s no way this thing could possibly run any better than a G1.” Wrong, so very wrong.

In the video, the device gets put through its paces showing off an OS smooth as butter, apps that were responsive and launched quick, even games like Temple Run ran without a hitch. Yeah, I wouldn’t have guessed for a second that a knockoff could run this well

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmArm5kO67I

Got an unlocked blue one today. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Some people say it looks cheap next to the HTC, but I think it looks sexy.

Top Bottom