• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Is there any way I can root this to run Jelly Bean? Or shall I just get a Galazy Nexus

I am new to Android, looking for some help

The Galaxy Nexus is really cheap.
TouchWiz has some really nifty shit going on too, though, so not sure if rooting might be necessary even if you get the GS3. However, when the next version of Android comes out, you'll be better off with the Nexus, that's for sure.

Zeppu

His point is obviously that Nexii will get it first.

But really, what I want to know is what the deal with those avatars are. I keep seeing them popping up.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Waiting on this coming in the post.. got work in 1.5 hours. Knowing my luck the phone will come just after i leave for work.

How good are the headphones that come with the phone ?

Does the phone have plastic on the screen that will tide me over till my screen protectors come in the post ?

His point is obviously that Nexii will get it first.

that's all I meant. on a hardware level obviously the samsungs GS3 is far superior and will run any version of android better than the gnex. duh.

Maybe this will help you make up your mind, mecha_infantry:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/9/3146548/galaxy-nexus-jelly-bean-android-ping-counterping

Does the phone have plastic on the screen that will tide me over till my screen protectors come in the post ?

Every phone does. Peel it off ASAP.

Kentpaul

that's all I meant. on a hardware level obviously the samsungs GS3 is far superior and will run any version of android better than the gnex. duh.

Maybe this will help you make up your mind, mecha_infantry:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/9/3146548/galaxy-nexus-jelly-bean-android-ping-counterping

Every phone does. Peel it off ASAP.

Sorry, I usually buy used phones, its not since the last year i have had the disposable income to buy the best phone on the market.

I will peel of the plastic that comes with the phone.. Does it stick to to the screen or something ?

I will peel of the plastic that comes with the phone.. Does it stick to to the screen or something ?

It will smudge like crazy. Also, most likely your touch input won't be as precise as with a "proper" screen protector. (which btw. isn't really necessary either since these things use Gorilla Glass)

You'll have to peel it off anyway as it has images and text all over it. It's not one of the screen protectors you can buy separately.

I bought a shit gel case (that does a good job but just looks a bit rubbish) from Amazon for a few quid.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007PG0RJQ/

It comes with a screen protector that is very good. No bubbles at all, very thin and doesn't hamper touch in any way. You probably don't even need it, but I've put it on there as my 2yo likes to pick it up. And it comes with a sock too!

Kentpaul

It will smudge like crazy. Also, most likely your touch input won't be as precise as with a "proper" screen protector. (which btw. isn't really necessary either since these things use Gorilla Glass)

I'm binded to a 24 month contract, can't risk scratches at all.

Hows the default headphones that come with the phone ?

The Galaxy Nexus is really cheap.
TouchWiz has some really nifty shit going on too, though, so not sure if rooting might be necessary even if you get the GS3. However, when the next version of Android comes out, you'll be better off with the Nexus, that's for sure.

Yeah I can get it for about £300

Touchwiz is horrible IMO, I much prefer the standard look of stock 4.1

Got my phone yesterday! Coming off a 2 year old Droid X, the S III is soooo amazing! Also, 4G is pretty speeding on Verizon :D. It's nice to be able to properly play games, too.

I also kinda dig Touchwiz. Then again, I have yet to mess with stock 4.1, so at thsi rate anything is better.

Two questions; How do I change the icons on the home screen? I NEVER use regular email. Also, has anyone gotten their Otter case yet? Any impressions?

Phoenix

Blimey, you again.

Tell me why you think the next version of Android will be better on the Nexus. What do you know about the next version, that we don't?

The Nexus devices are Google's Android reference platform. They will support everything first (and correctly).

5696a.png

Does this look right for the S3? It's about 2 weeks old. I charge it every night to full. The battery has dropped from 9 percent to 7 percent just making this post.

Main reason I ask is my wife just got her white s3 and is getting much better battery life it seems. I wanted to check and see if I should get this to Att for a swap if it looks wrong.

How many widgets do you have running compared to her?

Ephemeris

Yeah I can get it for about £300

Touchwiz is horrible IMO, I much prefer the standard look of stock 4.1

Definitely much better on the S3. Plus, I threw Apex/Nova on there with the swiftness.

One thing I do love about Touchwiz is the notification tray with the integration of the switches/toggles.

VanWinkle

I actually really like Touchwiz on the S3. Never was a big fan of it before, but I haven't felt the slightest need to change launchers or go stock. The update situation is the one thing I'm uneasy about.

Ecto311

How many widgets do you have running compared to her?

I have 2 widgets and she has about the same if not more.

Along with stuff like waking up the Galaxy with voice, eye tracking, stuff like that.

I don't have wake up active, or anything else that would be a glaring battery hog. I also use NFC tags to get the settings turned off/on to conserve battery at work.

I did get with att and they said I could go in store to exchange it. She is getting stellar battery compared to mine. Also last night watching some YouTube it went full black screen and it was full of those amoled blotches. Never thought they were so easy to see. It doesn't have an effect on the screen when lit up and in use though.

I have 2 widgets and she has about the same if not more.

I don't have wake up active, or anything else that would be a glaring battery hog. I also use NFC tags to get the settings turned off/on to conserve battery at work.

I did get with att and they said I could go in store to exchange it. She is getting stellar battery compared to mine. Also last night watching some YouTube it went full black screen and it was full of those amoled blotches. Never thought they were so easy to see. It doesn't have an effect on the screen when lit up and in use though.

Sounds like you got a lemon :p

Husker86

I actually really like Touchwiz on the S3. Never was a big fan of it before, but I haven't felt the slightest need to change launchers or go stock. The update situation is the one thing I'm uneasy about.
I had to go to Nova launcher because Samsung doesn't have ICS folders which makes make sad.

Gattsu25

Banned
There's an iPhone app called "Sleep Cycle" that I think is pretty fricking great. You put the phone on your bed and It basically monitors your movement during the night and wakes you up when you are easiest to awaken.

What is the best equivalent app on Android?

Cousteau

There's an iPhone app called "Sleep Cycle" that I think is pretty fricking great. You put the phone on your bed and It basically monitors your movement during the night and wakes you up when you are easiest to awaken.

idk, if I wanted that Id get married ?

What is the best equivalent app on Android?

Android comes preloaded in it's Alarm app a 'smart alarm' feature.

It basically plays a quiet soothing alarm 5 minutes before your alarms are meant to go up. If you're in deep sleep (ie 'sleep cycles' no movement) you generally sleep through it. However when you start waking up (ie 'sleep cycles' moving around) it pulls you out of sleep.

I'm sure there are hundreds of other apps that mimic sleep cycle on android though.

Gattsu25

Banned

It basically plays a quiet soothing alarm 5 minutes before your alarms are meant to go up. If you're in deep sleep (ie 'sleep cycles' no movement) you generally sleep through it. However when you start waking up (ie 'sleep cycles' moving around) it pulls you out of sleep.

I'm sure there are hundreds of other apps that mimic sleep cycle on android though.
Ahh, that's fantastic.

Thanks for the answer, man.

Friday (payday) can't come soon enough.

SpecX

I had no idea they had this feature. Is it something new added to ICS or did GB have this as well? I always hated the alarm on my phone since I would end up knocking it to the floor, but this might make me wake up in a better mood. Trying this for my 5 am alarm for tomorrow.

Husker86

Well after a day with the GSIII I have some opinions of it versus the Galaxy Nexus.

Firstly, this whole Verizon locked bootloader deal has me bummed. I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell/return the GSIII strictly because of it. I could make money selling it but I almost want to return it just so I can give Verizon my reason for doing so.

Anyway...

Project Butter is no joke. My GNex on 4.1 is smoother than the GSIII. If I try to ignore that, it does seem that the GSIII is faster at things like opening apps and such, but there is noticeable stutter compared to GNex on 4.1.

The GSIII is physically only slightly larger than the GNex, but the whole phone looks bigger when the screens are on because of the increased screen real estate. While the GSIII has a slightly bigger screen, the lack of software buttons make the screen look a lot bigger than the GNex; this is noticeable during use as well.

The hardware home key is actually kind of cool, probably because I haven't used a phone with one in a while. However, there are times, like when I'm using the phone sideways on a stand, that I need to use multitasking a lot and not being able to softly tap a button made the GSIII's setup somewhat cumbersome for me. While on the topic of keys, I am so used to not having a Menu key that the one on the GSIII frustrated me at times. I really wish they would have gone away from it with this release, but that would obviously lead to the downside of the HTC One series phones--a huge bar at the bottom with extended menu button for non-ICS targeted apps; since they weren't going with softkeys I can sort of understand their situation.

Verizon took out WiFi toggle widgets...my mind is just blown at how much VZ fucked this thing up. I have it rooted as was able to disable that annoying persistent WiFi notification, but that doesn't change the fact that I can't toggle it on/off without going into settings.

In the end, I am not keeping this purely because of what Verizon has done to it. If I were on any other carrier, with the same two phones, I am pretty sure I would sell the GNex and keep the GSIII. For people who are not interested in fully custom ROMs/kernels (you can flash custom ROMs but CM support and such isn't going to be there until this locked bootloader gets sorted), the choice might be a little harder. I think I would recommend the GSIII to them.

I'll probably hold off for a week or so to see if the dev community gets this unlocked, but since this is using hardware encryption (I think), I am not optimistic of this ever happening.

kehs

Banned
Well after a day with the GSIII I have some opinions of it versus the Galaxy Nexus.

Firstly, this whole Verizon locked bootloader deal has me bummed. I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell/return the GSIII strictly because of it. I could make money selling it but I almost want to return it just so I can give Verizon my reason for doing so.

Do it.

Anyway...

Project Butter is no joke. My GNex on 4.1 is smoother than the GSIII. If I try to ignore that, it does seem that the GSIII is faster at things like opening apps and such, but there is noticeable stutter compared to GNex on 4.1.

The GSIII is physically only slightly larger than the GNex, but the whole phone looks bigger when the screens are on because of the increased screen real estate. While the GSIII has a slightly bigger screen, the lack of software buttons make the screen look a lot bigger than the GNex; this is noticeable during use as well.

The hardware home key is actually kind of cool, probably because I haven't used a phone with one in a while. However, there are times, like when I'm using the phone sideways on a stand, that I need to use multitasking a lot and not being able to softly tap a button made the GSIII's setup somewhat cumbersome for me. While on the topic of keys, I am so used to not having a Menu key that the one on the GSIII frustrated me at times. I really wish they would have gone away from it with this release, but that would obviously lead to the downside of the HTC One series phones--a huge bar at the bottom with extended menu button for non-ICS targeted apps; since they weren't going with softkeys I can sort of understand their situation.

Verizon took out WiFi toggle widgets...my mind is just blown at how much VZ fucked this thing up. I have it rooted as was able to disable that annoying persistent WiFi notification, but that doesn't change the fact that I can't toggle it on/off without going into settings.

In the end, I am not keeping this purely because of what Verizon has done to it. If I were on any other carrier, with the same two phones, I am pretty sure I would sell the GNex and keep the GSIII. For people who are not interested in fully custom ROMs/kernels (you can flash custom ROMs but CM support and such isn't going to be there until this locked bootloader gets sorted), the choice might be a little harder. I think I would recommend the GSIII to them.

I'll probably hold off for a week or so to see if the dev community gets this unlocked, but since this is using hardware encryption (I think), I am not optimistic of this ever happening.

If you return it are you sticking with Verizon? If you do that's what they want, they'll make more. I wonder if Verizon will get the next Nexus.

Unicorn

Got my phone yesterday! Coming off a 2 year old Droid X, the S III is soooo amazing! Also, 4G is pretty speeding on Verizon :D. It's nice to be able to properly play games, too.

I also kinda dig Touchwiz. Then again, I have yet to mess with stock 4.1, so at thsi rate anything is better.

Two questions; How do I change the icons on the home screen? I NEVER use regular email. Also, has anyone gotten their Otter case yet? Any impressions?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28498505

Some impressions there: Mainly, no bueno.

I just picked up THIS Case, but from Best Buy. Right now they have this deal going on where if you buy the case (this one was $30) they will also give you and install the Invisible Shield screen protector for an additional $10.

Impressions of the Belkin case, so far from me, is that it works perfectly with the invisible shield in terms of covering the screen up until the case begins. The side buttons are only slightly harder to press, which I kind of preferred as I've already accidentally pressed the volume buttons while extending my thumb to type vertically. It's got a nice pliable, but hard casing feel. I feel pretty confident that If it fell it could handle the landing.

For a few dollars more they had another Belkin case that had a soft rubber skin that went around the phone and a hard shell that would fit over that. I didn't like the look, as I want to see my nice white phone, but it seemed like it would take an even harder beating, such as falling down some stairs.

Husker86

If you return it are you sticking with Verizon? If you do that's what they want, they'll make more. I wonder if Verizon will get the next Nexus.
Yes, I will be staying with Verizon. I am on Unlimited 4G and can't get that anywhere else (not going to Sprint) so I'm in a tough situation.

Returning it would hit them slightly as it would leave me out of contract, so that's something I guess. If they don't get the next Nexus I will likely leave and go Straight Talk or something with a straight from Google Nexus.

Top Bottom