• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Husker86

I still have one day left to consider exchanging my nexus for an s3, but I don't want to miss out on jelly bean. Can this really be that much better than the nexus?

I sent my GS3 back. GNex on 4.1 being smoother than the GS3 and the locked bootloader made the decision for me (I'm assuming you're on VZW, if not then ignore).

I don't think there is a wrong choice though. GS3 is a beast and will, someday, have 4.1.

FireCloud

I picked up this case from the Verizon store. It is made my Incipio and is similar to the Otterbox Commuter series cases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipW-ptlM2y8

I got the same colors as shown in the video, white outer hard shell with a Grey rubber insert. I think it looks sharp on my white S3.

I believe there were other color combinations available as well.

kehs

Banned
Overheard while watching the samsung commercial during batman:

"wows that pretty awesome" in reference to the S Beam for pictures.

GS3 is going to be a monster.

Toki767

Overheard while watching the samsung commercial during batman:

"wows that pretty awesome" in reference to the S Beam for pictures.

GS3 is going to be a monster.

I actually heard lots of people say something like that too. 10 million units in 2 months is pretty impressive.

VanWinkle

I've had pretty great battery life. However, now there's something wrong.

I have had the phone unplugged for an hour now. The screen has been on for a total of three minutes. I'm not using any streaming services or anything. Yet the batter is at 79%! I'm worried here, because I don't know why it's doing this. Seemed fine yesterday. "Cell Standby" is taking up 51% of the battery life, and nothing's even running in the task manager. Only thing I did was yesterday I installed FoxFi, but I closed the program and turned off the mobile hotspot right after testing it yesterday. I'm just really confused right now. I also bought Alarm Clock by Doubletwist, but I can't imagine that having done anything.

I've had pretty great battery life. However, something wrong.

I have had the phone unplugged for an hour now. The screen has been on for a total of three minutes. I'm not using any streaming services or anything. Yet the batter is at 79%! I'm worried here, because I don't know why it's doing this. Seemed fine yesterday. "Cell Standby" is taking up 51% of the battery life, and nothing's even running in the task manager. Only thing I did was yesterday I installed FoxFi, but I closed the program and turned off the mobile hotspot right after testing it yesterday. I'm just really confused right now. I also bought Alarm Clock by Doubletwist, but I can't imagine that having done anything.

Had the same problem as well, so I made sure I completely drained all of the battery then charged it fully again. That was 2 days and 20 hours ago(I was busy with GW2 this weekend so didn't use the phone much but I still think that's quite nice.) and I just connected it to the charger again. So it seems like it might need a recalibration of the battery sometimes.

Cr0wn0

Something is wonky with the battery on this Yesterday went 14 hours and had 30% battery left when I plugged in. Almost the same exact usage today and I'm 6 hours in now at 40%.I've probably had less usage today.

I've had pretty great battery life. However, now there's something wrong.

1. Go to XDA and search for BetterBatteryStats. Download it and install it.
2. Go to the Play marketplace and download & install CPU Spy.

BetterBatteryStats will tell you what is keeping your phone awake and what processes are using battery during the time it has been unplugged. You might need to google the process that you can see listed. It's the Partial Wakelock you should be more interested in AFAIK.

CPU spy needs time to build up a picture of what CPU states are being used the most. If you are a light user, 'deep sleep' should be the highest. If another state is very high, then it's most certainly an application/process that is keeping your phone awake.

I've upgraded to my first smartphone from a prepaid flip phone. So now I am the proud owner of a Galaxy S3, and I have no idea what to do with it now. For first time smart phone owners, is there anything important we need to know?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i bought the flip case and it seems like such a rip off for $40 but there's still no good alternative

edit: theres hope on amazon.ca. i hope i can return this

f0nz0

Welp! add me to the list of dummies with a freshly cracked gs3 screen....gaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh !!!!!!!! yea this phone mos def needs a case. I was getting into my car phone in shorts pocket i slide in phone falls out....it couldnt be more than a 2ft drop!

AndyD

aka andydumi
I've upgraded to my first smartphone from a prepaid flip phone. So now I am the proud owner of a Galaxy S3, and I have no idea what to do with it now. For first time smart phone owners, is there anything important we need to know?

nothing, use it for a month or so then come back and ask based on what you are doing the most.

kehs

Banned

Work your way to the top of the posts per day list on gaf.

rozay

Banned
Welp! add me to the list of dummies with a freshly cracked gs3 screen....gaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh !!!!!!!! yea this phone mos def needs a case. I was getting into my car phone in shorts pocket i slide in phone falls out....it couldnt be more than a 2ft drop!
that happened to my old iPhone...screen broke after it slid out of a loose jacket pocket and it was raining hard so I had to chase it down the street as it travelled down the gutter.

Learned my lesson.

Cr0wn0

Are all of the S3's the same on the outside? I bought a bunch of screen protectors and thought it was odd they only mentioned the i9300 none of the other models.

HildyB

dsc01240e.jpg
dsc01241r.jpg

Does it really look that terrible?

Giggidy, what widgets are those? Seems most folks use Beautiful widgets.

rozay

Banned
Are all of the S3's the same on the outside? I bought a bunch of screen protectors and thought it was odd they only mentioned the i9300 none of the other models.
you're good. there's no physical difference between any of the S3s, with the exception of the quad-core LTE model in korea which is thicker.

Erv

Does anybody have actual pictures of the red one. Also, does this phone have a led light that shows different colors for notifications. I heard just the sprint one has it. I may be wrong though.

Cr0wn0

Is a screen protector a must for this phone?

If so what is the best one?

I usually just buy the cheap monoprice screen protectors but since this has a little bit of curve in the glass I bought the invisible shield style knockoff on eBay for 1.99$.

My thoughts exactly. As far as phones are concerned, function trumps fashion for me. Sure, this thing looks great, but it's also a relatively fragile $500+ piece of technology that I rely on a lot. Which is why I also have insurance in edition to the protective case and willing to sacrifice its sleek design in the name of preventing this thing from being damaged. As others have said, I don't look at my phone as a fashion accessory/statement, its just as much of a tool as my big ugly ASUS laptop is.

Then again I'm the kind of person who physically cleans all his electronics once every three or so weeks to make sure everything stays in working condition.

*edit - Here are a couple photos of my phone in the case I posted above.

dsc01240e.jpg
dsc01241r.jpg

Does it really look that terrible?

How do I make my phone's home screen look awesome like that? I have no idea.

So I can't renew my contract until March next year, would you guys recommend waiting for the inevitable S IV a few months after that?

I'm also confused as to why the international version has a quad-core while the NA version is dual-core...

Kavanagh

Banned
I know this isn't exactly news but Kies is one buggy piece of shit. trying to update my firmware on my work pc and it won't backup my phone, just hangs for ages.

The dual core version performs just as well in today's tests, has LTE and better battery life. I'd rather have the dual core version.

Strange why Samsung would make two versions then. If they have relatively the same performance, with one having better battery life and LTE, why not just stick with that version for all of them?

Strange why Samsung would make two versions then. If they have relatively the same performance, with one having better battery life and LTE, why not just stick with that version for all of them?

Some markets don't have LTE and quad core sounds a heck of a lot better than dual since the statement comes up all the time, "why can't we all have the quad core version?" plus I'm sure over time some applications will perform faster on quad core whenever developers decide to optimize their application for it.

Husker86

Maybe their own chipsets are cheaper. Too bad (for them) they don't have built in LTE.

kehs

Banned
I'm also confused as to why the international version has a quad-core while the NA version is dual-core...

Welcome to US Carrier control. Since Verizon/ATT/T-Mobile care more about their data bullet points, they need a chipset that can make their network shine. The international versions use the exynose quad core chip since most countries are okay with HSPA+ up to 21mbps, which is more than sufficient for most people if they have good coverage.

Verizon and ATT wanted LTE radios so they had to switch over to qualcomm chips since they support it. T-Mobile wanted to extol their "4G" HSPA+ up to 42mbps, so they also switched.

surly

Banned
Newb question. I'm getting this phone in a few days. How do I play music on it?
There's a few ways.

You can connect it to a PC or Mac and drag and drop music straight to the internal memory or microSD card (or both).

You can have it sync music via software if you prefer.

You can stream music to the device.

There are lots of different music players on Google Play, most of them featuring widgets that you can put on the home/lock screens. You can also control music playback via Bluetooth if you have a set of Bluetooth headphones that have that functionality.

Personally, I just drag and drop music to the device. My music app is PlayerPro as I like the interface/widgets and it does gapless playback. PowerAmp is another one that a lot of people like. I have a widget on one of my home screens that displays album art for the current track and gives me basic player controls, plus I have a set of Sony Bluetooth headphones that have controls on them too.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Does anyone know where I can find some nice looking replacement back covers for this phone? I know there are the official flip covers, but others would be nice.

Swag

Is anyone using a custom lock screen, don't like the font on the clock in the stock one. If not, can anyone recommend a decent alternative, not to clutter it, just to get an alternative clock.

So does anyone else hate having the refresh button on the browser be up on the top left side of the screen? Is there any way to change that? My thumb can hardly reach it without my having to readjust where my hand is.

Top Bottom