• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

upandaway

So I just got one of these silly little toys (nah, it's pretty awesome). Went straight for the launchers, but Nova didn't click with me at all, so Apex it is.

All this Android business is pretty deep man, it's gonna take a while. Will be a long weekend.
Worst part will be moving from Things to Wunderlist, but oh well, it's not that bad.

JambiBum

So I have started to get what I would consider to be pop up ads on in my notifications. They didn't start showing up until I used movie fone for the first time on my phone. I used it all the time with my droid x and never had a problem. I deleted MF but they are still showing up. Anyone know what could be causing them? I'll show am example.

Screenshot_2012-07-25-17-06-22.png

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I have started to get what I would consider to be pop up ads on in my notifications. They didn't start showing up until I used movie fone for the first time on my phone. I used it all the time with my droid x and never had a problem. I deleted MF but they are still showing up. Anyone know what could be causing them? I'll show am example.

Do you mean the Christian Single Ad? There's an app that scans and tells you which apps you have installed that cause ads, I forget the name. Addons Detector.

kehs

Banned

Do a search for AirPush on the store, there's an airpush detector.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brosmike.airpushdetector&hl=en

Cr0wn0

Got my extended battery today and the battery life boost is great. The thicker case actually makes it a bit more comfortable to hold also. I need my screen protectors to come in the mail ASAP I'm so worried I'm gonna drop this thing. Word is its not a very tough phone.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I can't stress how much the facebook app sucks.

I need to now use the browser facebook to contact my friends.

Yes they have a patent on system wide search. All you need to do is tack "on a mobile device" onto the end of an existing PC patent and you're good to go apparently.

This is fucking retarded! phones and Tablets are just computers, how can you patent searching a computer?

saunderez

This is fucking retarded! phones and Tablets are just computers, how can you patent searching a computer?

The patent office isn't doing it's due dilligence because they're flooded with spurious patents. This results in a lot of patents getting granted that shouldn't which has been seen with Apple having a few patents invalidated recently.

FireCloud

Got my extended battery today and the battery life boost is great. The thicker case actually makes it a bit more comfortable to hold also. I need my screen protectors to come in the mail ASAP I'm so worried I'm gonna drop this thing. Word is its not a very tough phone.

What extended battery did you get? Does it have NFC support? Does it require another back plate? How much extra time are you getting out of it?

I've been satisfied with the stock battery so far but wondered if an extended battery would be worth looking into.

FireCloud

What car mounts are people using?

I tried a universal mount I bought from Verizon. It was a piece of junk. I wasn't sturdy enough to keep the phone from vibrating while traveling and didn't have a magnet to trigger the phone's dock mode. The screen would then time out unless I was using Google Navigator.

I once saw a picture of an official Samsung dock from some site returned from a Google search but haven't actually seen any for sale anywhere. I'm not using a car dock now as I'm hoping that the success of the S3's will drive the availability of more and better accessory choices.

I'd stay away from cheap universal docks though.

teiresias

Can anyone else not get Windows 7 to show all the contents of their external SDcard when the phone is connected via USB? I have a Music folder on my SD card but when i browse it via USB it only shows the subfolders through the middle of the ones that start with the letter C.

All my SDcard content shows up fine using the file browser on the phone, and Google music app sees all the files fine. This just makes it impossible to add more media to the card without unmounting the card, removing it, and doing it directly with the card connected to the PC.

rozay

Banned
You can build your own for much cheaper.

Vent mount: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CZCYBU/?tag=neogaf0e-20
(spring loaded clips are better than the other kind because plastic bends with stress and heat)

The phone holder which is a clip on case that holds the phone securely and allows for easy removal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Ultra...886040?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3379729b18

Garmin Nuvi clip which attaches the clip case to the vent mount:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BKT400-Garm...191?pt=GPS_Holders_Mounts&hash=item35b65ed617

All you do is get some 3M double sided automotive or outdoor tape, cut off the prongs on the top and bottom of the nuvi clip, sand the clip and case where the tape will bond them, and stick them together. The tape seems to be more resistant to the extreme heat inside my car than epoxy which just melts.

(I think you can get the vent mount and nuvi clip for cheaper on ebay, but I just wanted to show which types I used in case anyone is inspired by this post. When I made the mount for my nexus one, the whole thing cost $9)

rozay

Banned
How does it block the headphone port? It seems to grasp the phone by the sides. If anything, it would block the volume rocker/power button?
My bad, the picture on the page made it look like there was a piece for the bottom of the phone to rest on.

JambiBum

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the stupid headphone applications notification? As in, every time you plug in headphones, it comes up with what applications can use headphones, and is there a way to stop it from lowering the volume when you plug them in? Without rooting hopefully.

Cr0wn0

What extended battery did you get? Does it have NFC support? Does it require another back plate? How much extra time are you getting out of it?

I've been satisfied with the stock battery so far but wondered if an extended battery would be worth looking into.

I got this one Link I wont use NFC so I didn't get one that supports it. On a good day I was getting 10-12 hours I'm expecting to get around double that. My wife has had her battery for a few days longer then me and she is getting like 25 26 hours of good use out of it. It does require a new back but the bulk makes it more comfortable to use for me.

FireCloud

I got this one Link I wont use NFC so I didn't get one that supports it. On a good day I was getting 10-12 hours I'm expecting to get around double that. My wife has had her battery for a few days longer then me and she is getting like 25 26 hours of good use out of it. It does require a new back but the bulk makes it more comfortable to use for me.

Interesting, I watched a YouTube video from Android Authority that warned against that brand. Seems they got one labeled for the S3 that wouldn't fit.

YouTube

Valnen

Yes they have a patent on system wide search. All you need to do is tack "on a mobile device" onto the end of an existing PC patent and you're good to go apparently.

I fucking hate how companies compete with each other by crippling the competition's phones via patents. That shit should be illegal.

RuGalz

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004E5W3D4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This one seems to get good reviews and I like the way it mounts (in the CD slot of your stereo). I might give that one a try. I only really need one when I am using my phone as a GPS, and that isn't very often.

Wow, I never knew something like this existed. The vent mounts don't work with my car because it's a bit unusual. I need to look into this.

Edit: after looking around a bit more, it seems like they are working on a version that will also work on Nexus 7, will wait.

surly

Banned
Regarding the update that came out yesterday/today for some UK folks: -

Samsung has admitted it made a mistake in releasing a software update that removed a search function from international versions of its flagship smartphone.

The "stability update" disabled the Galaxy S3's ability to search the web, contacts, apps and other on-device material through a single interface.

The move had been thought to be linked to Apple's claim that the innovation infringed one of its US patents.

Samsung said a fix was imminent.

"The most recent software upgrade for the Galaxy S3 in the UK included the inadvertent removal of the universal search function," it said in a statement.

"Samsung will provide the correct software upgrade within the next few days."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18999784

Jerrod

Can you use S Voice to take you directly to a website? I want to tell it something like "go to www.neogaf.com" or "go to neogaf.com" however it will always bring up a list of actions that it wants me to select to complete the operation but none of them are relevant to going to a website. I can tell it to go to google.com or yahoo.com and it takes me to the mobile version of those sites but those two seem to be the only ones. If I say "search for neogaf.com" or anything ending in .com it doesn't search instead it brings up a list of irrelevant actions and wants me to pick one. I looked at the list of things S Voice can do and none of them seem to mention being able to go directly to a website so I guess it can't do it.

Zoe

Damn, my battery's gotten shitty all of a sudden--down to 47% after 5 hours. Gonna try to drain it and then charge it all the way up.

suplex

Simi Clock for the clock.
Beautiful widgets for the weather below it (I forget the skin used, but its a top rated one).
And circle battery for the battery on the top right.

And making the icons at the bottom look like that is also beautiful widgets?

Is anyone using a custom lock screen, don't like the font on the clock in the stock one. If not, can anyone recommend a decent alternative, not to clutter it, just to get an alternative clock.

I'd like to know this too.

AndyD

aka andydumi
And making the icons at the bottom look like that is also beautiful widgets?

I'd like to know this too.

The bottom icons can be changed with a different launcher like Go Launcher or one of many others. Apex and Nova I think are two of the more popular ICS launchers, and Go Launcher is probably the most popular overall.

And the lockscreen can be fully customized with WidgetLocker.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Widget locker is good but sometimes the stock lock screen comes up and that is jarring.

I have only had that issue in two situations: either before I rooted, Widgetlocker works better once you are rooted and it has better access. The other is with popup screens like SMS popup appearing when locked and trigering the original lock screen rather than widgetlocker. No solution to that I dont think.

operon

Whats the best case for the S3, father in law and Uncle in law getting one each next week, I'm in charge of getting the case and setting them up

saunderez

Well my replacement screen finally arrived and after a relatively painless half hour or so I have a phone that looks brand new. For anyone who has cracked their screen self repair is easy enough. My SGS3 is now living in a crappy rubberised case until I can find something better. It also seems like this new AMOLED panel has better colours than the one the phone so bit of a win there.

Top Bottom